[Android] Evernote and OfficeSuite Integration

• Evernote Expert

Hi, I have been a harsh critic of Evernote in the past, but in the last few months, I am super happy with the regular feature updates across all platforms. :) this feature gives en a long standing boost and puts it on par with other cloud services that have inbuilt office apps across the cloud.

This query is regarding the recent partnership of Evernote with officesuite. The official EVernote blog says that premium users can avail unlimited access to this feature but the link given by the blog tells me to download the trial version of the software, but the software is only for seven days. So, can someone guide me, here? I am confused.

Secondly, I am unable to create a new document from within the Evernote app using officesuite pro 7. Is this feature only to edit documents from within the Evernote app or does one have the ability to get a fully functional version of officesuite 7 pro that can create new documents with Evernote premium?

This query is regarding the recent partnership of Evernote with officesuite. The official EVernote blog says that premium users can avail unlimited access to this feature but the link given by the blog tells me to download the trial version of the software, but the software is only for seven days. So, can someone guide me, here? I am confused.

Similar problem but ... some months ago I installed Officesuite Trial and then uninstalled it. Now I've installed it again (I've got EN premium) but Officesuite starts and  a popup window appears saying that my Trial Period is expired, with 2 possibile options: buy the license or exit the program.

While if I open a supported file (.doc, .xls, ...) the popup appears asking me to buy the license or continuing in viewer mode only (so without editing capabilities).

Secondly, I am unable to create a new document from within the Evernote app using officesuite pro 7. Is this feature only to edit documents from within the Evernote app or does one have the ability to get a fully functional version of officesuite 7 pro that can create new documents with Evernote premium?

The only way I see to do this:

- Name & save the document to somewhere that you can navigate to.

- Maneuver there with a file manager app

- Share to a new note in Evernote

I can't speak for Evernote, but I think you have to buy the app, just like any non-free app in the trunk.

Regards,

Gary

Hi:

Following the announcement on the Evernote Blog about collaboration of Evernote and OfficeSuite (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/07/17/evernote-for-android-edit-attached-documents-with-officesuite-mark-up-pdfs-with-skitch-and-much-more/) I downloaded OfficeSuite (Trial Version). I am an Evernote Premium User. Therefore I went right ahead and opened my first spreadsheet (XLSX format) in Evernote. It gave me the otion to open it in OfficeSuite which I did. Then  I edited the file but was not able to have it saved back into Evernote. The only thing that worked was to store the modified document on my SD card. 

However, the Evernote Blog states that: "Simply install OfficeSuite, open a note in Evernote and tap on the Edit icon in an attached document. The document will open in OfficeSuite ready for editing. When you’re done, tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen and you’ll return to the note in Evernote with the option to replace the document or append it to the note." - which is not working for me.

I posted this question to Evernote support as well as to OfficeSuite support and received mixed results. Evernote support replied with an automated reply poorly translated into German (although I posted my question in English and that's the language I expect the answer to be written in, too). The answer included solutions to a totally different problem. Soi I guess Evernote Support did not read my ticket at all and someone just hit the 'Answer with a standard reply'-button.

OfficeSuite's support was a lot more helpful with their reply: "It is possible to save the file only on the SD card at the moment. You can select the file in the OfficeSuite browser and choose Share>Create note. This will send the file to Evernote and you will get a new note with an attachment."

Therefore, the explanation on the Evernote Blog was wrong. It is not at all possible to open a document in an Evernote note in OfficeSUite, edit it and save it back to the note it came from.

Or did I miss anything?

Carlin

So I tried this, but when I try to click the edit button on Office Suite it wants be to buy it for 14.99. Anyone have this issue?

Attached Documents and OfficeSuite

If your Evernote account is anything like mine, then it’s full of meeting notes, documents, and presentations. For this update, we partnered with the OfficeSuite app to allow you to not only view, but also edit, your attached Office documents. Simply install OfficeSuite, open a note in Evernote and tap on the Edit icon in an attached document. The document will open in OfficeSuite ready for editing. When you’re done, tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen and you’ll return to the note in Evernote with the option to replace the document or append it to the note.

android_officesuite.png

All Evernote users get a one-week trial of this paid OfficeSuite feature. Premium Evernote users get unlimited access. Upgrade to Premium today.

Hi All, 

Could you possibly do the following steps and tell me if you experience the problem? 

Please tell me where it fails, or if you succeed, at which stage you were blocked. 

- make sure that you have the latest update of OfficeSuite Pro Trial, older version won't support the new hooks 

- when the update is installed, open a note in Evernote with some attached Office Documents (.doc, .xls, .ppt) 

- select the pencil icon (not the file name) on the note view (you don't need to open the edit mode) 

- if you are premium user, you should not see an expiration dialog in OfficeSuite since you premium status would unlock the trial. 

- the document should open in office suite, verify that the floppy disk icon is not grey out

- edit the document, tap the save button, then tap back twice (collapse the keyboard and go back to Evernote) 

- verify that a dialog asking to append or replace displays in Evernote 

- select the preferred option, then open the document again to verify that your changes are fixed. 

Xdeklplanque: I followed the exact procedure you laid out above. It all works except that I still get a note saying that I am in a trial version - this is android, by the way. So it's not working as per your instructions above. 

I would also appreciate if you can answer whether this is intended to be just for editing existing attachments, or whether I can use officesuite from within evernote to create an attachment. 

Looking forward to your reply and fix before my trial period runs out. 

Chris

Hi xdelplanque,

thanks a lot for your support. I followed your outlined steps closely, this is my result:

I does work nearly in the way you described. OfficeSuite will save the document back to Evernote when I use the pencil icon in the Evernote note view. It does not work when I open the document by tapping on a different area than the pencil icon. I did not know there was a difference (probably many users won't). Knowing this, the feature does work.

However, OfficeSuite still asks me to buy the fuill version (I am an Evernote Premium user). I have 1 day trial left, so I will check back tomorrow and see what happens when the trial period is over.

Hope this helps. Greetings from  Germany,

Carlin

I'm glad I found this thread. Reply 7 from xdelplanque did the trick. I'm on the basic Evernote, not premium, and have 2 days left on the OfficeSuite trial. As a suggestion, I'd put a stronger border around the pencil so it's more obvious that it's a separate button for editing instead of just viewing. I've also noticed that, using the pencil, I can edit spreadsheets in a different office suite I'd already got installed, so now I have to decide whether OfficeSuite has any advntages over the one I've got.

• Evernote Expert

Hi All, 

Could you possibly do the following steps and tell me if you experience the problem? 

Please tell me where it fails, or if you succeed, at which stage you were blocked. 

- make sure that you have the latest update of OfficeSuite Pro Trial, older version won't support the new hooks 

- when the update is installed, open a note in Evernote with some attached Office Documents (.doc, .xls, .ppt) 

- select the pencil icon (not the file name) on the note view (you don't need to open the edit mode) 

- if you are premium user, you should not see an expiration dialog in OfficeSuite since you premium status would unlock the trial. 

- the document should open in office suite, verify that the floppy disk icon is not grey out

- edit the document, tap the save button, then tap back twice (collapse the keyboard and go back to Evernote) 

- verify that a dialog asking to append or replace displays in Evernote 

- select the preferred option, then open the document again to verify that your changes are fixed. 

Thanks for the reply. All steps are working. Only Officesuite is not able to detect that i am a premium user, and the trial day counter is continuing to run. Please look into and kindly fix the bug.

Thanks for all the awesome support and recent updates.

Everything works except for "If you are premium user, you should not see an expiration dialog in OfficeSuite since you premium status would unlock the trial. "

I do see the expiration notice, and have to press Continue in order to access the next steps, all of which work. Note that when I REOPEN the document to test whether the edits stuck (which they did), again I get the expiration dialog.

I have one more day on my trial.

I just updated EN Android to 5.2.1 Build AndroidMarket_52x.6/[long chain], and this problem persists.

Thanks,

lena

I very well might be missing something here but I have been creating and annotating Evernote pdf's and documents from QuickOffice for some time now. They are directly connected to Evernote, Drive, Dropbox and more. Log in to these accounts. 

Create/Annotate a document and save to Evernote...and a pop-up comes up with all your Evernote Notebooks to choose from. 

Edit/annotate an Evernote doc. in QO and save back the same way. 

Hi All, 

the latest of OfficeSuite Pro Trial fixes the dialog issue. 

You shouldn't see any upgrade dialog if you are in trial period or premium user any more. 

Let me know if that works for you. 

Hi All, 

the latest of OfficeSuite Pro Trial fixes the dialog issue. 

You shouldn't see any upgrade dialog if you are in trial period or premium user any more. 

Let me know if that works for you. 

I do when I try and save changes...asks to buy. 

Thanks, that's the expected behaviour since the unlock concerns only the editing of attachment from Evernote. 

But that means I have an office app installed, that now wants to open my office docs, but won't as it's a trial. I understand what you are trying to do here, but couldn't their be a more elegant solution? 

How about a reduced 'upgrade' cost for the full version? Or are Mobisystems trying to use Evernote as a way to sell more copies?

• 4 weeks later...

When ever I open a document it adds a version number to my document, even if I have not made or saved the changes the last time I had it open. Also, I dont like the fact it changes the document name. I have submitted this to support, but it might be handy if they know if others see this happening too.

Hi Grant837

I'm not entirely clear on the specific workflow that you are using, so I am going to assume that you did the same thing that I just tested:

1. In Evernote, open a note with file test.docx
  2. Click the file and select "edit' in OfficeSuite Pro Trial
  3. The file opens in OfficeSuite (Note that the file name is temporarily modified to insert a version, only during the editing session. If you edit the document multiple times the version will increment according to the number of editing sessions that you utilize. The file name is not permanently changed. See below)
  4. Make changes to the document and click "Save" from within OfficeSuite.
  5. Select either "Append" or "Replace"
  6. Back in Evernote, observe the file is still named "test.docx"

Please let me know if your process is different that this ^ and we will investigate further.

Hi Brian,

Indeed the note shows the same name in Evernote, but where it is stored, under android/data/com.android.../unsaved_notes each of those files with the version indication is saved. This happens when ever I used 'edit', even if I do not make any changes. I rarely would access these particular files from this location, so I guess what concerns me is that my storage is being filled up with each one of these version. That is not a problem if the file is 20kb, but if its 20mb, it could eventually be a problem in that it could fill up limited storage quickly and many people would not know where that space was going to.

(is this behavior maybe part of the version/history record function for premium users?)

Thanks

Grant

Hmm, that is curious. I'm looking in /storage/sdcard/Android/data/com.evernote/files/unsaved_notes and do not see any files left over from from my edit sessions. Perhaps you are using a different workflow than I outlined above? Which device are you testing on? My tests are performed on a Sony Xperia Z.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying Brian. I indeed followed your workflow, and have even reinstalled evernote (but not officesuite) and its still saving every version in that unsaved notes directory. you might be looking in the wrong place, you need to look under the /user-xxxxx/unsaved_notes directory.

• 5 months later...

I recently reset my android tablet, installed evernote and officesuite. I still get this problem of saving new versions with a number added when I select replace. Also, now officesuite has random ads taking up the bottom 15% of the sceern, and it claims the trial is 90 days, not 7 days. All in all enough oddities for me to ask if anyone else sees this and/or if there are fixes. Thanks. Grant

Grant837:

Which device are you using?

What is the exact product name (there are more than one product name) and what is the version # of OfficeSuite product that you are using?

What is the version # of Evernote for Android that you are using?

Grant837:

I have just tested using the latest version of OfficeSuitePro 7 Trial and the Evernote 5.8 beta. Yes, it looks like OfficeSuite has changed. They added some advertising to their editor and they extended the trial period to 90 days.

I am unable to reproduce any issues as you have reported them. Following the workflow that I listed above, I am able to save an updated document back to Evernote without any iteration to the file name. Also there are no remnant files left in "/unsaved_notes"

Hi Brian,

Maybe we need to look at the details, since I get the same behavior using the windows version...

I think the confusion is that the file name as seen in the Evernote note remains the same, but each time I open a file to edit it, the document editor (LibreOffice in Windows, OfficeSuite in Android) creates a new file with "FileName" (number).docx.  That 'number'  goes up by one each time I open the file.  If I dig into my evernote directories I find that on both platforms evernote is storing each one of these versions.  

So, in Evernote I see the file attachment with the original name, and it opens the latest version (in fact today I found I had lost all my changes in one document, but I am not sure why yet) but, in the background evernote is eating up space by saving each iteration of the document. 

Could this be because of the 'history' feature premium user have, and evernote is nicely saving each edit of a document too?  That would make sense, but it could end up using a lot of SD card, or HD space, if the documents are large, without users being aware why.

Maybe also, it could be that Evernote watches the date, and only does this during one day, and starts over with the numbering the next day... Today the numbers started at one again (but like I said, all my edits from the last days where also gone, so maybe I somehow messed things up).  I will check tomorrow to see if the values are reset or not...

Archived