(Archived) Change evernote files location

martinf

Idea

Hi!

I'd like to change the content of the evernote database + files (not the program itself!) and all files to another location on my harddisk (an encrypted sparseimage that is automounted on boot).

Is that possible? If yes - how?

9 replies to this idea

Our Mac client expects to find its data off of your home directory in:

Library / Application Support / Evernote / data

There's no built-in way to tell it to use a different storage location, but a few advanced users have moved this location by:

Fully quitting Evernote

Moving the 'data' directory to a different location

Replacing the old 'data' directory location with a symbolic link to the new location

Restart Evernote

This should work, but it's one of those unsupported-hope-you-are-keeping-backups kind of operations.

Of course, if you're using synchronized notebooks for all of your notes in Evernote, the service itself is a backup...

Thanks for the fast reply.

I'll try that out since all my notebooks are currently syncronized.

Would be great though if in an upcoming update there would be a simple setting in the prefence menu to change to location of the data storage.

(This would also be interesting for people who use evernote on a work computer (or similar) and do not want to have anything physically saved there after leaving the computer - and simply use a USB stick to keep the evernote data there).

Hello!

I wanted to revisit this thread.

I'm trying to setup a symbolic link to have Evernote pull its data from a folder on a shared server.

However it appears that the current build of evernote is no longer using a "data" folder.

From what I can tell files are now stored on ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/username/content

However, a symbolic link to the content folder doesn't accomplish the desired effect as evernote still attempts to download and index most files.

Is there another folder that needs a symbolic link to make this work?

I understand this is an "unsupported" solution, but any pointers are appreciated.

Hi

I am new to this forum and I have the same basic question as PeninsulaLA. First of all let me say, I love Evernote. I am a Premium account user and have Evernote installed on all my devices, from my iP(devices), Android phones and tablets to Mac (Air, BookPro, Pro)...

Evernote developers (my hat's off to you, thank you), you have created a product, I can't do without. I have > 500 notes categorized in different notebooks... and growing everyday. I use Evernote everyday (meeting notes, web clippings, pdf's, doc's xls's, etc)...

Anyway, I am sure, other Evernote users have the same issue I have, and that is (SSD) space to keep the content on a device and sync them to the Evernote cloud.

It would be nice to have the capability of moving content off (MacAir) ~/Users/Mac/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/User to a USB stick / sdhc card or (Android/iPad ) microsdhc card in most smart phones/tablets (in my case, all of my smart devices (iP and Android) and MacAir and BookPro).

Thanks,

• Level 5*

Hi

I am new to this forum and I have the same basic question as PeninsulaLA. First of all let me say, I love Evernote. I am a Premium account user and have Evernote installed on all my devices, from my iP(devices), Android phones and tablets to Mac (Air, BookPro, Pro)...

Evernote developers (my hat's off to you, thank you), you have created a product, I can't do without. I have > 500 notes categorized in different notebooks... and growing everyday. I use Evernote everyday (meeting notes, web clippings, pdf's, doc's xls's, etc)...

Anyway, I am sure, other Evernote users have the same issue I have, and that is (SSD) space to keep the content on a device and sync them to the Evernote cloud.

It would be nice to have the capability of moving content off (MacAir) ~/Users/Mac/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/User to a USB stick / sdhc card or (Android/iPad ) microsdhc card in most smart phones/tablets (in my case, all of my smart devices (iP and Android) and MacAir and BookPro).

Thanks,

Hi Obi-Wan. Welcome to the forums!

I agree that it would be nice to have the option to move our library off the local drive, but I also think it would be good if we could get an online/offline toggle (like we have on mobile devices) so that we can choose which notebooks we want to download. Ideally, I don't want to plug in my external drive every time I want to use Evernote (basically 24/7).

At any rate, I just upgraded to the 2012 MBA and got the 128 GB version. I have several terabytes of data, but through a combination of Google Drive, Dropbox, Evernote, and external drives I can have plenty of empty space on the local drive. You might want to consider these options as your database size grows.

• Level 5*

I'm with the other posters in this thread that have requested an option to change the Evernote folder location to another location, including external drives and network drives.

Better yet would be to allow location setting for each Notebook. The database for note metadata for all notes would need to be stored locally, but note contents and attachments could be stored on external drives. If the external drive is not attached, then the note contents and attachments would be retrieved from the Evernote Cloud.

I wouldn't be surprised if this complicates the local EN search engine, but I think Evernote will eventually have to support this. After many years, decades, of adding Notes, it is just a matter of time until we run out of local storage space.

I believe @PeninsulaLA's question hasn't been answered: what symbolic link should be created now that the content is located inside the username folder and not the data folder?

I believe @PeninsulaLA's question hasn't been answered: what symbolic link should be created now that the content is located inside the username folder and not the data folder?

It is a bit for advanced users but here is a tutorial how to create a symbolic link: http://gigaom.com/ap...links-on-a-mac/

My professional opinion as (web) developer on the mac an unix based systems I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be working.

That said, this will not prevent downloading notes and not saving the notes locally it just stores them in a different location. so if you're looking for that don't even bother trying this.

The down side is that if you're like me and have a SSD and HDD in your mac moving it from your SSD to your HDD will slow evernote down ( in theory ) which might make you reconsider if it's worth to save some GB of space on your small hard drive.

You'll might be better off moving your music / video library to another disk saving more GB without really losing performance.

At least that's my case with a 2GB Evernote library and much more video / music data.

Same applies when you use a external drive. but this brings up another issue. you'll have to have your external drive attached always. otherwise error might occur because data cannot be found.

But I like JMichiel's sollution even better! most users don't like messing around in there file system and symbolic links isn't really something that you call user friendly :)

• Level 5*

It is a bit for advanced users but here is a tutorial how to create a symbolic link: http://gigaom.com/ap...links-on-a-mac/

My professional opinion as (web) developer on the mac an unix based systems I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be working.

That said, this will not prevent downloading notes and not saving the notes locally it just stores them in a different location. so if you're looking for that don't even bother trying this.

The down side is that if you're like me and have a SSD and HDD in your mac moving it from your SSD to your HDD will slow evernote down ( in theory ) which might make you reconsider if it's worth to save some GB of space on your small hard drive.

You'll might be better off moving your music / video library to another disk saving more GB without really losing performance.

At least that's my case with a 2GB Evernote library and much more video / music data.

Same applies when you use a external drive. but this brings up another issue. you'll have to have your external drive attached always. otherwise error might occur because data cannot be found.

But I like JMichiel's sollution even better! most users don't like messing around in there file system and symbolic links isn't really something that you call user friendly :)

This isn't exactly a solution to the problem of moving your database, but it is one to the problem of not want to store locally: allow us to toggle notebooks offline/online, just as we do on mobile devices. The technology exists, the feature has obviously been seen as worth developing, so why not bring it to the desktop?

I'm sure this gives developers heart attacks to think about, but it would make a big difference -- I've already drastically reduced the amount of stuff I put in Evernote every month (I purchased an extra 1GB of upload space last month, but I don't see that happening again, now that I have hit the limits of my local storage), and I am starting the process of removing things from my account in order to trim it down a bit. Somehow (it is impossible if I calculate only the stuff I have put into my account -- about 13GB) I have a database of more than 25GB...

Archived