"Downgrading" from v 5 back to 4

shekala

I just started using Evernote 5 and don't really like it. Also, am not comfortable with some of the glitches I found so would rather stick with the tried and true 4.xx.

Can I safely remove v 5 and reinstall 4? 5 seemed to reindex the database, so just want to make sure I am not creating a mess for myself if I downgrade.

Thanks

I just started using Evernote 5 and don't really like it. Also, am not comfortable with some of the glitches I found so would rather stick with the tried and true 4.xx.

Can I safely remove v 5 and reinstall 4? 5 seemed to reindex the database, so just want to make sure I am not creating a mess for myself if I downgrade.

Thanks

If all your notes are sync'd to the cloud & you don't have any local (non-sync'd) notebooks, you should be able to safely uninstall V5 (I'd suggest using Revo uninstaller), reboot (for good measure), then install the older version.  If you have any non-sync'd notes (including local notebooks), that may complicate things, I don't know.  The standard procedure in that case would be to export the non-sync'd notes to enex (from V5) & import them in V4.  But I don't know if this works when downgrading, since there could be changes to the database between the versions.  So in this case, I would suggest you open a support ticket (See my sig), so you can discuss directly with EN staff. 

Thanks,nothing is local, so will give it a shot.

Have you tried the v 5? Not my cup of tea!

You're welcome!  I've not tried V5 b/c since it's still beta & will overwrite V4, I cannot commit to it.  Plus, I'm already dealing with some ongoing EN issues (sloooooow) that I'm convinced are tied to the large number of notes I have (over 60,000).  And since I'm getting closer to that magical 100,000 note mark, I'm playing around with a weird EN setup that utilizes three different accounts.  So I don't need to add in another variable of a beta program, at this time.  :o

I remembered one thing when they upgraded from 3.x to 4.x.  IIRC, any notes that were edited or new in 4.x that were subsequently edited in 3.x may have some weird formatting.  (IIRC, they had made some significant changes with the editor or something.)  But they let the beta testers know this & in this situation, you could run 3.x & 4.x on the same computer b/c they used different databases.  So if nothing was mentioned in a similar vein regarding V5, then everything should be fine b/c IIRC, dlu's recommendation was for people to not use it on their main machine.  IOW, they would/should have anticipated beta testers using both V5 & V4 on the same account.  (Hope that makes sense.)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Brian would you be so kind to share your version (4) of Evernote with us? 

I've spent 1 hours looking for an old version but I had no luck. 

Evernote 5 is terrible! Either I downgrade or I need to switch to another application. What makes me angry and frustrated is that many, many people are complaining about it but the company doesn't really care. If they really cared about their users they could at least offer a way to downgrade, and we would be still both happy...

I downloaded the set up file for Evernote 4.6.7.8409 from http://www.filehippo...nload_evernote/  - they have all the old versions listed on the right hand side of that page. I uninstalled v5 before running the 4.6.7.8409 set-up.

Thanks Brian, but maybe I didn't mention that I was on a Mac. That link seems to refer to Windows previous versions.

Anybody else has a working link for old mac versions? Thanks

I downloaded the set up file for Evernote 4.6.7.8409 from http://www.filehippo...nload_evernote/  - they have all the old versions listed on the right hand side of that page. I uninstalled v5 before running the 4.6.7.8409 set-up.

Thanks Brian, but maybe I didn't mention that I was on a Mac. That link seems to refer to Windows previous versions.

This thread is in the Windows section.  You may find something if you search in the Mac section.

After several months of beta tweaking and the final release to 5, I am surprised how many comments indicate they want to move back to version 4.7 or earlier.

IMO that is because they introduced too many features at once. More features means increasing complexity and in a way or another you have to adjust the UI/UX flow to make the use of these features as a natural as possible. But I think they went to the other direction, I'm not a computer newbie and I think the interface for mac is the most unusable piece of software I've ever tried. It's nice, it looks pretty and shining BUT they've lost the focus on what's important: the functionality!

More important: don't design your interface for mac/windows as if it was meant for mobile, no, that's not the way!

I'm very disappointed and if I can't downgrade I'll switch back to plain text note taking and syncing 

This thread is in the Windows section.  You may find something if you search in the Mac section.

Ops, sorry about that

After several months of beta tweaking and the final release to 5, I am surprised how many comments indicate they want to move back to version 4.7 or earlier.

Yeah... I went retro with the clippers for the most part but now going to start going retro with the Windows Client as well (back to 4.0 on my laptop and desktop). It just is not as user friendly though it looks nice. See how we all feel once there is a better baked version. My they will skitch this as well and either backtrack or try a new approach that resolves the issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody find out the way to downgrade from 5 to 4.6 with local notes?

I made a huge mistake and upgraded to Evernote 5, which is absolute disaster.

I tried to install Evernote 4.6, but it doesn't work with v5 database.

Please read post #2.

WRT V5 being an "absolute disaster", I would disagree. It may have some faults. But I use it several times a day, every day & have a lot of notes & have yet to find anything all that bad about it.

• Level 5

I sat on the sidelines and avoided the upgrade. I hoped the combination of

(1) the internal EN quality control work, followed by

(2) a flurry of beta releases, and

(3) two months of final general release with

(4) daily feedback in this forum

would give Evernote enough time and feedback to fix the variety of problems.

The biggest productivity killer in my opinion is the automatic drop-down search window and it's sluggish, erratic behavior making the program considerably more finicky.

I hope these ongoing forum comments will be addressed. Evernote certainly has already dumped a ton of bug fixes onto the market over the past couple months.

I strongly considered going back to the wonderful world of version 4.7, but shelved the idea because it made communication with the Support Team difficult and confusing.

So with my fingers crossed, I have reluctantly adopted the Italian driver's famous quote: "What's behind you doesn't matter."

I tried to install Evernote 4.6, but it doesn't work with v5 database.

Please read post #2.

WRT V5 being an "absolute disaster", I would disagree. It may have some faults. But I use it several times a day, every day & have a lot of notes & have yet to find anything all that bad about it.

Thanks for your reply.

I use Evernote for GTD and as a mood board (images & photos) and v5 is useless for this usage with UI changes and Card view.

Whoever came with idea "Let's take 1600x1200 image and don't resize it, just crop the center" must be tarred and feathered.

After some trials and errors and bit of hacking I was able to downgrade to v4.6, so problem is solved for now, but I'm looking for alternative.

I am shocked at how bad v5 is, e.g. how much of my screen space it wastes by

- forcing me to keep the note editing toolbar visible

- forcing me to keep the sidebar open if I want to access my shortcuts (they used to be accessible on the main toolbar).

I've now reached the point that I need to go back to v4, so I downloaded "Evernote_4.6.7.8409" from hilehippo using the link above, but Windows is giving me a scary warning: "The publisher of this program can't be verified".

This doesn't sound that scary, but I don't think I've ever seen anything with a big red exclamation mark warning before.  Combine this with the fact that we are not downloading from Evernote site, is a concern.

I can't find the Evernote 4 download anywhere on the Evernote website.

If Evernote is refusing to let us download v4, it suggests to me that they won't keep supporting it (e.g. for sync).

• Level 5

If Evernote is refusing to let us download v4, it suggests to me that they won't keep supporting it (e.g. for sync).

I doubt that Evernote is refusing downloads, but the question of support is a valid point. The further you get away from the current version, the more difficult it will be to get support answers. Not impossible, just more difficult.

Version 5 has a lot of problems as evidenced by the large number of forum posts and the large number of Evernote bug patches. I'm going to stick with version 5.03 and hope they get the formula back.

• Level 5*

Evernote is not going to stop V4 from syncing any time soon. But they will most likely stop supporting it vis-a-vis bug fixes: if they're showstoppers, then they might fix them, otherwise they will probably let them ride.

The most terrible upgrade ever !!! Please take the version 5 to beta and do your homework first. Designers at evernote, you need not run after the flat design concept. Be yourself, and dear developers, you have done a very poor job. You should not feel proud. Thank you

Downgraded to Evernote 4.

Evernote 5 is just terrible slow. And the design sucks. Thank you desgners.

The most terrible upgrade ever !!! Please take the version 5 to beta and do your homework first. Designers at evernote, you need not run after the flat design concept. Be yourself, and dear developers, you have done a very poor job. You should not feel proud. Thank you

It's really subjective. I'm one who doesn't mind the new UI & feel the designers have nothing to be ashamed about. Also, anytime any software undergoes a noticeable change, there are always the naysayers. Happens every time.

• 4 months later...

It's really subjective. I'm one who doesn't mind the new UI & feel the designers have nothing to be ashamed about. Also, anytime any software undergoes a noticeable change, there are always the naysayers. Happens every time.

BnF, I'm a premium user and also a sucker for a new release.  In this case, I feel justified in pointing out that what I'm seeing is NOT subjective at least from a performance and usability perspective.

I have a support case open to ask for support on multiple crashes on a Win 7 platform, on both my home and work computer.  We're talking "move a note from one notebook to another, and crash."  And even "Add a tag to a note, and crash."  Completely unacceptable performance.  And when it was running it felt slow and sluggish (which I will admit is a subjective assessment) like I was driving an app through a remote terminal session. 

After lengthy investigation in the EN fora, I discovered the cadre of users who went back to 4.6.7.8409 and were happy about it.  I went over to FileHippo and downloaded it. Downloaded RevoUninstaller and nuked the 5.x installation, rebooted, and reinstalled the 4.6 version.  I just spent 30 minutes reorganizing my tags and notes to where I needed to be, completing a job which I hadn't been able to complete in several days with the 5.x version.  With no crashes, with no incidents, with no four letter words (muttered at work, said out loud here at home.)  It's just working the way you expect it to be.

I'm unclear as to what happened, but I have to add my voice to those who say that EN was good, and could be again, but the current release version isn't ready for prime time.  At least in my experience.  Happily, however, I can continue to use this wonderful product.

BnF, I'm a premium user and also a sucker for a new release.  In this case, I feel justified in pointing out that what I'm seeing is NOT subjective at least from a performance and usability perspective.

I have a support case open to ask for support on multiple crashes on a Win 7 platform, on both my home and work computer.  We're talking "move a note from one notebook to another, and crash."  And even "Add a tag to a note, and crash."  Completely unacceptable performance.  And when it was running it felt slow and sluggish (which I will admit is a subjective assessment) like I was driving an app through a remote terminal session. 

After lengthy investigation in the EN fora, I discovered the cadre of users who went back to 4.6.7.8409 and were happy about it.  I went over to FileHippo and downloaded it. Downloaded RevoUninstaller and nuked the 5.x installation, rebooted, and reinstalled the 4.6 version.  I just spent 30 minutes reorganizing my tags and notes to where I needed to be, completing a job which I hadn't been able to complete in several days with the 5.x version.  With no crashes, with no incidents, with no four letter words (muttered at work, said out loud here at home.)  It's just working the way you expect it to be.

I'm unclear as to what happened, but I have to add my voice to those who say that EN was good, and could be again, but the current release version isn't ready for prime time.  At least in my experience.  Happily, however, I can continue to use this wonderful product.

You're comparing apples to oranges here.  Software crashes are not the same ilk as someone disliking a new UI. 

Of course if your app crashes each time to try to add a tag or move it to a notebook, that's a problem & not a UI difference.  However...It's a problem with your install and not the app itself, since most of the rest of us (all?) do this all the time with no crashing.  I would have suggested a Revo uninstall & then a clean install. 

I cleaned the current installation with Revo and reinstalled the app several times with no success.  My time is not worth that much to fiddle with it.   I need to go back to what works, and wait.

I do not believe that it's the install that is failing, I believe that it's latent information in my database that's causing failures.

Of course if your app crashes each time to try to add a tag or move it to a notebook, that's a problem & not a UI difference.  However...It's a problem with your install and not the app itself, since most of the rest of us (all?) do this all the time with no crashing.  I would have suggested a Revo uninstall & then a clean install. 

I cleaned the current installation with Revo and reinstalled the app several times with no success.  My time is not worth that much to fiddle with it.   I need to go back to what works, and wait.

I do not believe that it's the install that is failing, I believe that it's latent information in my database that's causing failures.

If it's corrupted data in your database, then blaming the crashes on a newer version of the app is like blaming running out of gas on bald tires.  Corrupted files can be caused by many things that are out of the scope of the app itself.  IE, virus, malware, failing hardware, etc.  I'm glad v4 is working for you.  But if you suspect you have corrupted data, I would suggest it's in your best interest to re-download your notes from the EN server.  Corrupted files never uncorrupt themselves & will continue to cause you problems over time. 

But hey, it's your data & your time, so whatever floats your boat!

If it's corrupted data in your database, then blaming the crashes on a newer version of the app is like blaming running out of gas on bald tires.  Corrupted files can be caused by many things that are out of the scope of the app itself.  IE, virus, malware, failing hardware, etc.  I'm glad v4 is working for you.  But if you suspect you have corrupted data, I would suggest it's in your best interest to re-download your notes from the EN server.  Corrupted files never uncorrupt themselves & will continue to cause you problems over time. 

But hey, it's your data & your time, so whatever floats your boat!

Last post, I promise.

I quoted the whole thing to correct one misapprehension; you said that if I had corrupted data in my database, that I should redownload from the server.

I had two installations, one at home and one at work.  Both were reinstalled multiple times, and the local database re-created with re-downloads from the server multiple times.  Each used different network setups, and were on different machines.  The only similarity was the data, naturally.  They all crashed. Constantly.

At no time did I say the data was corrupted, and if it was corrupted then downloading it from the EN server would be the last thing I wanted to do.  I simply said that it was some data in my database that is causing failures in V5 that do not cause an issue in V4 builds.   I'm only hypothesizing here, as I do not know the internals of EN and even were I to see the code I'm sure I wouldn't understand it.  It could be a sequence of bytes that is causing a memory leak or some other oddball issue.  Who knows for certain?  Not I.

I am only saying what I experience; with V5 I get constant crashes.  With V4 I get no crashes. So yes, I blame the release for my crashes, since V4 does not crash with the identical data.  

The only thing that I could do to authoritatively prove my theory is to delete notes, one at a time, from my database in V4 and after each deletion, delete and re-sync to create a new database in a V5 installation until V5 stopped crashing.  I could then provide the note to the developers as an example of a note that broke V5. 

However, you do rightly note that it is my data and my time, and both are precious to me.  So my choice is to continue with what works, and maybe every so often look to see if a new version is able to handle my data because I'm not going to look through thousands of notes, one at a time.  :)

• 1 year later...

After all this time, I still do not like Evernote 5!  I keep trying to move to it, but keep going back to 4.6.   Evernote 4 is crisper, both in appearance and performance.  Evernote 5 looks and feels 'squishy', lags in performance, doesn't feel like a good use of screen real estate, and doesn't make a good visual differentiation between notebooks, tags and notes.  I really want to move forward as Evernote evolves and develops new features, but I simply can't do it with the path they've taken since version 5.  Help!

Archived