(Archived) Why only Sync to a cloud?

Interesting application. One problem is that I can't use it with my job because I can't just sync data to external could.  Is there anyway to use this and sync without the cloud? Any suggestions on how to get around this rule ?  Thank you in advance.  PS I tried copying a content.enml file which didn't seem to work. I would think that I could manually copy files between Android and PC but it doesnt seem easy or apparent.

• Level 5*

Interesting application. One problem is that I can't use it with my job because I can't just sync data to external could.  Is there anyway to use this and sync without the cloud? Any suggestions on how to get around this rule ?  Thank you in advance.  PS I tried copying a content.enml file which didn't seem to work. I would think that I could manually copy files between Android and PC but it doesnt seem easy or apparent.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Evernote is built around the cloud and there is no way that I know of to sync wirelessly or through the manual transfer of files. Sorry. In fact, it is generally difficult to accomplish this on mobile with any app (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288). Options exist, of course, but it is surprisingly more difficult than it used to be in the late 90s / early 2000s in the palm pilot days.

Thank you for your response, I learned a little bit from the webpage, about some things.  It seems like it would be the same (in the background local storage) to go from mobile to PC but it doesn't sound like it from what you are implying.  I wonder if EverNote should consider making these types of things a comercial endevor with private complanies. Setup servers internally to the company for some price structure. Anyway, thanks for your time, it looks like this app will be for personal use only.

• Level 5*

Thank you for your response, I learned a little bit from the webpage, about some things. It seems like it would be the same (in the background local storage) to go from mobile to PC but it doesn't sound like it from what you are implying. I wonder if EverNote should consider making these types of things a comercial endevor with private complanies. Setup servers internally to the company for some price structure. Anyway, thanks for your time, it looks like this app will be for personal use only.

Theoretically, I see no reason why we couldn't have local stuff sync without the cloud, but it doesn't seen like a use case Evernote is interested in supporting, and in the past they have made it clear that they don't plan to enable users to set up their own internal server systems for it.

In my opinion, Evernote is targeting individuals. Evernote Business is still, at it's heart, just a more convenient / powerful way for individuals to collaborate. I think they are leaving the hardcore enterprise solutions to the established applications like sharepoint and so forth.

Theoretically, I see no reason why we couldn't have local stuff sync without the cloud,

Since this would introduce more variables that could be problematic, I think it's just a nightma, uh, hassle they don't want to have to deal with (translate: support.)  ;)  

Then, you'd get people who want the sync'd stuff sync'd over lan to save syncing up & then down.  Then you'd get people only using lan sync & not using the EN cloud...which is how they make their money.

Support means

Theoretically, I see no reason why we couldn't have local stuff sync without the cloud,

Since this would introduce more variables that could be problematic, I think it's just a nightma, uh, hassle they don't want to have to deal with (translate: support.)  ;)  

Then, you'd get people who want the sync'd stuff sync'd over lan to save syncing up & then down.  Then you'd get people only using lan sync & not using the EN cloud...which is how they make their money.

Support means money.  AND you offload your own server storage support.

Support means

Support means money.

I don't know where you came up with that idea. And especially regarding EN where most users are free users. And a majority of those who are premium went premium mostly for reasons other than support. So no, Evernote is not raking in the big bucks from the support side, I'd guess.
  • Level 5

I think he was pretty clear that he meant a business oriented service, with appropriate pricing, for a server appliance onsite.

I'm assuming he means like the Google server appliance

Bringing search to the internal private LAN, but in an Evernote flavor.

There's nothing saying Evernote Business couldn't fork into an Evernote Enterprise, with local shard and image recognition appliance servers.

I'm not sure there's sufficient market for it, especially going up against a MS OneNote/MS Sharepoint combo already entrenched...

• Level 5*

There's nothing saying Evernote Business couldn't fork into an Evernote Enterprise, with local shard and image recognition appliance servers.

I'm not sure there's sufficient market for it, especially going up against a MS OneNote/MS Sharepoint combo already entrenched...

As mentioned earlier in the thread (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39918-why-only-sync-to-a-cloud/?p=216126), Evernote is saying that they won't do it: "Companies will not be able to run an Evernote server behind the corporate firewall. Libin called it a "slippery slope" saying that he refuses to be a consultant that constantly adjusts its product for the customer."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business

• Level 5

And that's likely the case then, knowing EN.  Though even the Apple's of the world who excel at informing their customers what they should need, and the only way it should be done, have good track record of, when the market shifts, doing exactly what they said they'd never do.  So there's that.

I don't know that putting a server appliance in an Enterprise though equals customizing and consulting (though there are fantastic piles of money to be had there).  Even before you get to the point of involving the PWC, IBM, and Accenture type folks, just look at the per seat price of a Salesforce solution, or something on a SAP or Oracle PAAS offering, creepers...

I don't get the sense that there's a lot of customer input into a Google search appliance, and only a minimally abstracted sense of customer input on Sharepoint.

Much like Evernote already is, Sharepoint is also one of those ecosystems of it's own with 3rd party tools, and integrators who sell customization and services around the core product.  There are plenty of services companies waiting to be given a platform to sell and implement on, to their customer list, that abstract a company like EN from having to exert much effort to serve the niche.  They provide the idea, the tools, and the API, and 3rd parties do the rest.  Most of that (though rather thinly in some areas) EN's already done.

It's also a tricky thing when you've accepted as much funding as EN has.  It's one thing for Phil to say 15 months ago "he expects that more companies are going to get comfortable using cloud products in the future."  When he's already ruled out 50% of businesses, back then, when HIPPA and whatever the financial industry calls their ruleset was all they were thinking about.  Now 15 months later you have that last half contemplating US based servers, PRISM, etc.  There has to be a compelling feature set or price point to attract in (at least for a while) a shrinking sector, that has slightly more competition than 15 months ago.

At what point do investors pressure you to pursue returns in areas you said you weren't interested in.

Where I work, we do all of the above with all of the above.  It's not getting easier hosting solutions for Enterprise outside their firewall, at least not apart from "private cloud".  Even that could be something EN could likely do with marginal effort, for Enterprise on top of their existing cloud infrastructure.  It would perhaps only require a good narrative on top of solid partitioning through customer specific shard encryption, maybe some VPN-esque supplementation.  Private cloud would attract some portion of the on-premise camp not currently jumping on the shared business offering.

Anyway, leaving market economics aside, I merely meant to say, technically speaking, it's not a conceptually difficult thing to imagine packaged up in a sealed appliance box.

Teambox seems to make it look pretty simple to offer.  Free, Pro, or $15/seat/month and you have an on-premise VM, done.

Archived