Search within tags?

dddebug

Am I only one here annoyed by unability to search within tags using the GUI?

Suppose I want to select notes by a tag and search within results. Sounds reasonable?

But not. As soon as I click on the search input field, the selection resets!!!

As soon as I select a tag from dropdown list or the left-side pane, the search string disappears!

(Yes I know that a query can be composed manually - if one manages to remember that it is under File->New saved search, and then recall the syntax).

Adding any number of tags to search is possible in web interface. Please, let us have this in Windows client too!

-- dd

Am I only one here annoyed by unability to search within tags using the GUI?

Suppose I want to select notes by a tag and search within results. Sounds reasonable?

But not. As soon as I click on the search input field, the selection resets!!!

As soon as I select a tag from dropdown list or the left-side pane, the search string disappears!

(Yes I know that a query can be composed manually - if one manages to remember that it is under File->New saved search, and then recall the syntax).

Adding any number of tags to search is possible in web interface. Please, let us have this in Windows client too!

-- dd

Click on first tag, left pane.  Ctrl click 2nd tag, left pane.  Put cursor in search bar at the top (search explanation bar (list view) shows the two tags still selected.) & select the word(s) you're looking for.   Search explanation bar now shows the two tags as well as the search term.  Works for me. 

post-48228-0-45656500-1372814994_thumb.j

Thank you all!

Finally.... I understood how to do this. And it seems so simple now ;)

Just HOLD the  CONTROL key while clicking on the tags.

A really delicious  Easter egg.

-- dd

Thank you all!

Finally.... I understood how to do this. And it seems so simple now ;)

Just HOLD the  CONTROL key while clicking on the tags.

A really delicious  Easter egg.

-- dd

Glad it worked out for you.  It's actually pretty much a Windows SOP rather than an "Easter egg."  IE, if you want to select multiple folders or files to delete or copy from Explorer, click the first one & ctrl/click the rest.  Shift click does everything in between.

• 4 weeks later...

This same problem has been driving me nuts. To the point that I'm about ready to abandon Evernote.  ...not really, but it's that frustrating.

I'm running the Windows version build 4.6.7.8409 on Windows 7. When I ctrl-click on a second tag or click into the search box after selecting a tag, the first tag selection clears. Or if I type in the search term(s) first then ctrl-click a tag in the left pane, the search terms clear.

I didn't use to have this problem. I use tags and search heavily and rely on being able to build up search terms to narrow the result set.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This same problem has been driving me nuts. To the point that I'm about ready to abandon Evernote.  ...not really, but it's that frustrating.

I'm running the Windows version build 4.6.7.8409 on Windows 7. When I ctrl-click on a second tag or click into the search box after selecting a tag, the first tag selection clears. Or if I type in the search term(s) first then ctrl-click a tag in the left pane, the search terms clear.

I didn't use to have this problem. I use tags and search heavily and rely on being able to build up search terms to narrow the result set.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Strange, I used to see this bug consistently (http://www.evernote.com/shard/s63/sh/19e50ae1-b134-41e2-9f75-47b267f8a306/5ca6f42f835c55dd0633c41e8a5715b7) but I do not anymore. I'm also running on 4.6.7.8409 on Windows 7 also and just tested it.  I was hoping that it had been fixed in a recent version...

• Level 5*

Hmmm, maybe. But then again, last year's Springpad is this year's Keep (is the One note of the past). There's nothing quite like Evernote, regardless of the warts.

• 4 months later...

This has been driving me crazy as well.  Just figured out one mechanism to combine literal search terms and tag filters.  

If you click on the magnifying glass icon in the search control, and select "Current Context", your notebook/stack choices will remain active, and you can then enter other search terms, including literal text.

• Level 5*

This has been driving me crazy as well.  Just figured out one mechanism to combine literal search terms and tag filters.  

If you click on the magnifying glass icon in the search control, and select "Current Context", your notebook/stack choices will remain active, and you can then enter other search terms, including literal text.

Yes. We've noted that elsewhere; somehow didn't make it into this topic until you mentioned it. My opinion is that "Current Context" ought to be the default -- it's what I use all the time.
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
I am using 5.0.3.1614 and can't get this to work. When I click in the search bar, with or without control, the tags disappear
Ctrl+Click on a tag in the tag tree in the left panel (not in the search control) will add the tag to your current search filter, or remove it is it's already part of your search filter.
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Have focus on a note which contains the tag you want.  Click on All Notes.  Ctrl-click on the tag.  Enter your text in the search bar, the context should be notes with the tag you clicked.

Archived