Chrome Web Clipper Beta with Gmail clipping

jbignert

Idea

Hi all,

We have a new beta version of the Chrome Web Clipper that adds Gmail clipping and a few bug fixes.

Summary of Gmail clipping:

- When you are viewing a thread in Gmail click the toolbar button.

- Attachments should be part of the note.

- WHYSIWYG i.e if the messages are note loaded in the thread they will not be fully part of the clip either. 

Known issues with Gmail clipping:

- If user gets to his Gmail account via a bookmark we sometimes cannot detect that user is on a thread. Working on a fix.

RELEASED as 5.9.16

Please post issues and feedback to this thread.

26 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@Davide

We are working on fixing the gmail issues. The issues seems to happen most often if you are trying to clip a single email, while on conversations with several messages it works if you expand the thread. In any case we are working on a fix to get out ASAP. 

Any update on this jbignert? I have almost stopped using the Gmail clipper because it just locks up and I have to restart my browser to clear it so it can be used for web pages.

@Davide

We are working on fixing the gmail issues. The issues seems to happen most often if you are trying to clip a single email, while on conversations with several messages it works if you expand the thread. In any case we are working on a fix to get out ASAP. 

I seem to be having some weird issues of my own. My first attempt to clip to EN omitted the body text from the emails in the conversation but included the pdf attachment as an embedded file.

After finding this thread I disabled the Labs Preview Window.

If I now clip straight from Gmail using the EN web clipper all the body text from open emails is clipped to EN and there are links to download and view the attachment.

However, if a use EN Clearly as a first step I then get a nice clean document with full body text to view but if I then clip it with EN Clipper I get a note with no body text and the attachment is an embedded document.

I am using Win 8 64 bit in desktop mode with Chrome version 28.001500.95m in desktop mode and EN Clipper 5.9.19 and I am using UK Google apps free.

@whuzuzname

What country are you accessing Gmail from? We've noticed the the layout code in gmail differs from locale to locale (very annoying for us...) 

USA, Windows 7 64 bit, running Chrome browser Version 28.0.1500.95 m.

Thank you.

We've tested and optimized for the 'default' Gmail UI. I'm not positive I've ever seen anything about a new Gmail inbox with 5 tabs in it. Do yo have any additional information?

As a note - you need to be viewing a conversation for the Gmail clipping to work and it is one conversation at a time for clipping.  

Here's the page from the Google help: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3055016?hl=en&ref_topic=1669050

• Level 5*

Still no success. Actually when I'm not in the Inbox and call the Web Clipper, it does not even capture subject, sender and receivers (still not body and attachments) of the selected message in that folder, but of the one that was selected in the Inbox. Do you use the "new" GMail Inbox? The one with the five tabs (primary, social, promotions, updates, forums)? Maybe that has an impact?

I use both - the 5 tabs in my personal Gmail account and the old style in my work GMail Apps and both work fine.

I'd advise restarting your browser first, then if that doesn't work, disable other extensions and see if there is a conflict.

We've tested and optimized for the 'default' Gmail UI. I'm not positive I've ever seen anything about a new Gmail inbox with 5 tabs in it. Do yo have any additional information?

As a note - you need to be viewing a conversation for the Gmail clipping to work and it is one conversation at a time for clipping.  

Still no success. Actually when I'm not in the Inbox and call the Web Clipper, it does not even capture subject, sender and receivers (still not body and attachments) of the selected message in that folder, but of the one that was selected in the Inbox. Do you use the "new" GMail Inbox? The one with the five tabs (primary, social, promotions, updates, forums)? Maybe that has an impact?

• Level 5*

Ok, confirmed this issue irreverent if you have preview pane enabled or not. We'll get a fix out ASAP.

Thanks. I had just disabled Preview Pane and still no joy. 

If you have the Google Labs preview pane enabled we cannot access the message contents at this point. We're working on it. In the meantime the only workaround is to disable the preview pane.

• Level 5*

Same over here. Body text and attachments are not captured.

Windows 8; Chrome Versie 27.0.1453.116 m

Yup. Must be the new version of CHrome that came out. was working fine before that.

Windows 7, Chrome Version 27.0.1453.110 m

Will only capture the Subject line, sender, and addressees. Nothing else.  Same result regardless if Gmail is bookmarked or not. 

Looking forward to getting this fixed so it can be used.

Same problem here! Also Win7 (64 Bit) and Chrome 27.0.1453.

Windows 7, Chrome Version 27.0.1453.110 m

Will only capture the Subject line, sender, and addressees. Nothing else.  Same result regardless if Gmail is bookmarked or not. 

Looking forward to getting this fixed so it can be used.

Really good to see this feature.

I would however like to see gmail tags carried across to Evernote as Evernote tags...is this on the roadmap?

I've been using this script to do this, which works brilliantly but I like the formatting features of the Chome Web Clipper.

And there was much rejoicing.

Was able to clip full email, with attachment and addresses.

Using OS X Lion

Chrome Version 27.0.1453.116

Worked like a charm. Also, I liked the formatting better than forwarding it to my email address. Its updates like this that make me happy! Now if I could only select which notebooks to download to my computer... but I digress :).

I wonder if this puts a big dent in Powerbot's business? 

Archived