Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Web

[Feature Request] Evernote Web Keyboard shortcuts

evernote feature request html5

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 stefanlasiewski

stefanlasiewski

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote Web would be extremely useful and make it faster to use Evernote Web.

Currently, the process to open a new task requires a minimum of three clicks-- click "New Note", click to edit the subject or body, optionally add tags and other elements, and then click 'Done'. Editing an existing note requires even more clicks: Click on the note, click on the edit button, click on "Show details" so that I can see the tags, optionally add and remove tags, then click on the message body, then click 'Done'.

I'm a heavy user of Gmail keyboard shortcuts (The best one is '?', which brings up a list of all keyboard shortcuts. Click '?' again to make the list go away). Dropbox also supports keyboard shortcuts, as well as other Todo apps like Gqueues and Google Keep (Again, just hit '?' to bring up a list).

Please add Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote Web and please provide documentation about these shortcuts similar to the Gmail/Gcal/Gdocs '?' key.

#2 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

Don't mean to sidetrack the original request, but thanks for mentioning the "?" shortcut in GMail. I did not know about that. Super easy to remember it now.

#3 Randy How

Randy How

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

+1 - I'm also a Gmail user (work and personal accounts) and heavily utilize the web browser shortcut keys.  This would be a great enhancement to the Evernote web client.  Cheers!

#4 Oliver_Law

Oliver_Law

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

+1

This problem has been on my mind for a few months now. I agree that keyboard shortcuts would drastically improve the user experience for Evernote Web users. To the best of my knowledge the app is written with GWT and the code to add keyboard shortcuts is not overly complex: https://developers.g...deUserInterface so I'm wondering why it hasn't been done yet.

I think it likely that the company is more focused on mobile initiatives. More new versions for the Mac/Windows/Android/iPhone/iPad clients are turned out than updates for web. However this may just be an error in my availability heuristic since I don't readily notice when a web update has occurred. Another possibility is that Evernote is completely rebuilding the web app client to get off of GWT. I think the future of GWT is shaky especially with Google's other opensource projects taking lead (Dart and Golang).

I've been using a Chrome plugin to help me add custom JavaScript handlers to keyboard shortcuts while on the Evernote website. To those technically inclined this may serve as a good workaround.

https://chrome.googl...dmpobfkfo?hl=en

#5 1goalkeeper

1goalkeeper

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

I completely agree.  I need to indent tabs frequently to build notes that have a clean look like an outline.  The fact that I have to use a mouse to indent is VERY frustrating.

Please introduce keyboard shortcuts for the web version!

I am a heavy Microsoft OneNote user, and am trying to switch to Evernote.  But the inability to use shortcuts in the web version drives me crazy and I find myself (surprisingly) praising Microsoft!

#6 GoldenToy

GoldenToy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

+1

especially the insert date & time shortcut is something i'm constantly missing. (ALT + SHIFT + D)

#7 scbh

scbh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

+1 pleeaaasee

i just switched from osx to linux, and there is no official evernote app in there so i use evernoteweb.

Usualy i have an "industrial" use of evernote, but now with the evernote web it's like i'm missing legs and arms …

Please do something !

#8 lgoose

lgoose

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

I miss specifically add tags quickly, view all notes and open in a new window.

#9 Ed Vaz de Mello

Ed Vaz de Mello

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

+1²

Although keyboard hotkeys support is on that "danger area" to develop and mantain I'm sure Evernote has a great dev team to do it by now. Keyboard hotkeys feature is at the soul of a web app of Evernote's nature - really hoping to see it soon.

#10 kaglong

kaglong

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

+1, this feature should be done quick

#11 In search of...

In search of...

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Yes, the gmail-style keyboard shortcuts would be grand!

#12 lgoose

lgoose

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

new client out. no news. any updates would be awesome.

#13 André

André

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

keyboard shortcuts would be cool. please, make them consistent for all apps: Web, Windows, Mac, ....

#14 Chas

Chas

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

There already are several shortcuts. Just press the CNTRL key and then try every other key, one by one, and you will discover them. It takes about two minutes.

#15 Oliver_Law

Oliver_Law

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

@Chas - I can see that bold, italics and underline have shortcuts. I can't find a shortcut to create a unordered-list. I also can't find a shortcut to jump to the search bar to enter a new query. These are basic operations that I perform very often and I need to resort to using the mouse. This thread is talking about the keyboard shortcut system used by Gmail which is essential to go mouse-free.

#16 stefanlasiewski

stefanlasiewski

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

There already are several shortcuts. Just press the CNTRL key and then try every other key, one by one, and you will discover them. It takes about two minutes.

Haphazardly typing random key combinations on the keyboard is not adequate. The shortcuts must be documented and should be easily accessible, such as how Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive and Dropbox use the '?' key to display a simple description of all of the keyboard shortcuts.

I pressed the Control key and tried every other key. There were no Evernote shortcuts for me when using Firefox. I did find that Firefox itself has shortcuts for use in webforms (Control-F goes forward, for example) but those are not specific to Evernote Web and work on any web form.

-= Stefan

#17 pderaaij

pderaaij

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

+1 

Would love to see this!

#18 Karlos Zafra

Karlos Zafra

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

+1

Being able to select several notes with shift would come in handy.

#19 lgoose

lgoose

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

+1

Being able to select several notes with shift would come in handy.

you can use command on the mac or ctrl on PC

#20 JackNUMBER

JackNUMBER

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

+1

I'm on Linux and there is not Evernote package. I can only use the Web service. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web, evernote, feature request, html5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote