(Archived) Issue with evernote:// links in Business notebooks (EB Ticket #12008)

Hi!

I've got something strange here, and it's even weirder that nobody else raised it. I'm running the latest prerelease of Evernote on Windows XP. Thing is: Links (not external links, only the evernote://-links) do neither work for co-workers nor on other platforms, like Android. Maybe it's only me. Could you guys do me a favour and try the following?

1. In a business notebook, create a simple note.
  2. Sync.
  3. Copy the notes' link to the clipboard (right-click, "copy note link", not "share -> copy url ...")
  4. Create a second note within the same notebook and paste the link.
  5. Sync.

Now ask a co-worker to click on that link. Does it work? Here, it does NOT work on Windows and Web. As well, the link seems broken on Android (logged in as the user who created the notes). On the iPad, it works. Didn't try to switch user there ...

Web looks like this:

post-61937-0-33263300-1367235510_thumb.p

Windows looks like this:

post-61937-0-63148900-1367235592_thumb.p

You can also send the link to another EB user via e-mail or IM, same result.

Could you please do me a favour and try to reproduce this step? I opened a ticket (see title),  but it seems I'm the only one having this issue.

Thanks in advance!

André

Hi Andre,

Just checked this out with Windows 7 and can confirm I have exactly the same problem as you have.

Worked fine up until now, so I am assuming something has happened with one of the newer software releases.

Will convert this into a ticket.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for confirming. It actually never worked in our environment ... :-( But good to know I'm not the only one. Maybe someone could try the same under OS X.

Cheers

A.

Ok, I just tried exactly the same on my mac at home, and - tadaa! It works. Creating note, copy note link, paste into other note, switch account, works.

A link to the very same note looks completely different, depending on the platform it (the link) was created.

URL (Win client): evernote:///view/370569/s4/fed1ff48-cd20-4da3-8d12-1ff4f34f4e26/fed1ff48-cd20-4da3-8d12-1ff4f34f4e26/66091b09-fcd8-4966-a530-20e82d13dbbc

URL (Mac client): evernote:///view/41309514/s280/fed1ff48-cd20-4da3-8d12-1ff4f34f4e26/fed1ff48-cd20-4da3-8d12-1ff4f34f4e26/

The bottom one works on all platforms Win and Mac, not Android :(, for all users. The first one only works for the owner on Windows and iOS.

Dear folks at Evernote, there's something seriously wrong here.

Thanks for the information folks, we've got QA looking into this at the moment. 

Thanks! Keep in mind:

• It's related to all platforms: Win, Mac, iOS, Android
  • On the other hand, all combinations of owner/creator/invitee are affected

If you want me to test something, feel free to PM me, or contact me via the Zurich office (Emma/Chris).

Thanks for the information folks, we've got QA looking into this at the moment. 

Hi Brickey

Any update on this? I updated EN to the latest beta today, hoping that this would be fixed. It's really a pain when working in a shared team. Instead of sending around links, we need to copy/paste the note title wrapped in quotes, ... awkward.

I looked this up today:

http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/note_links.php

Apparently the user Id and the shard is wrong, the rest should work ok.

It's now more than a month since I reported this bug to EB, and nothing visible happened, apart from two tickets which appear to be closed right after saying "we're looking into this". I'm currently paying EB for 15 users, getting nagged every other day about this and other bugs. It's annoying and I'm frustrated, and most probably I will recommend to move away from EB after we're done with this one specific project. Bad karma.

Cheers

André

• Level 5*

Strange. I use the note linking function all of the time to business notes - multiple times daily.. I put links in Excel to reference support for spreadsheets. It works. I just created a new one to a business notebook and it worked fine. Seems to be affecting only some accounts. 

EN 4.6.5.8345, Windows 7 64bit.

Strange. I use the note linking function all of the time to business notes - multiple times daily.. I put links in Excel to reference support for spreadsheets. It works. I just created a new one to a business notebook and it worked fine. Seems to be affecting only some accounts. 

EN 4.6.5.8345, Windows 7 64bit.

Hi EdH

Have you asked someone else to follow these links?  It works all fine for myself, but not for my coworkers.

EN 4.6.5.8345, Windows XP, 32 bit (really ...)

Andreb, 

I think we may have gotten this fixed in the release that went out today. Can you check for updates from the help menu and then see if you're still seeing an issue? 

Hi Brickey

Thanks for the update. I created two test cases. The first was creating links inside a note.

• With the new client, I created a new note in a business notebook, containing links to other notes within the same notebook. (edit: just noticed that links to notes in other business notebooks are not working anyway, but this is by design, I suppose)
    • ​In the account who created the note:
      • Followed the links on Windows -> works
      • Followed the links from within the android client (latest beta) -> works
      • Followed the links from within the iPad client -> works
      • Followed the links from the web client -> works
    • Account with access to the notebook
      • Local user change (CTRL-ALT-A) -> works
      • iPad/Android -> not tested
      • Web client -> broken
  • The second case was to send a link via outlook/IM
    • In the account who created the note (windows) -> works fine
    • In the account with access to the notebook -> partially broken
      • If the user is currently viewing the notebook containing the linked note -> works
      • If the user is in another notebook -> broken

I hope that helps to track the remaining issues.

Cheers!

André

PS: I didn't have the chance yet to create a note with links to notes in other shared notebooks.

Update:

I created a link to a note within the same business notebook. A while later I clicked on a saved search, this note containing the link appeared (the destination note didn't). Now clicking on the link doesn't do anything -> broken :-/

And forgive me, but just to be sure, you did update your client to yesterday's release correct? 

Oh, forgot to mention: My co-worker also upgraded to the latest version. You know, some things are fixed and working smoothly, some others (like sending mails withlinks) aren't. I am sure you'll fix all of these bugs :-)

Thank you for letting us know. I'll forward this information over to the Windows team. We appreciate your patience. 

There's another bug related to that. I have a saved search (tag:10* ...), and one of my notes matches this search. Inside there are links to notes in the same notebook, but not matching the search terms. When I click on these links, the focus jumps on the first note in the saved search instead of opening the linked note.

I've got some followup information for you.

First, notelinks are designed to work within the Evernote ecosystem. This is why you run into issues with sending them over outlook/IM. They're a type of link that is meant to tell an Evernote product where a certain note is. If you need to share a notelink over IM/Outlook, you'll want to use the share by URL function. 

Second, with regards to this bullet point: 

Account with access to the notebook
Local user change (CTRL-ALT-A) -> works
iPad/Android -> not tested
Web client -> broken

Can you tell me how you are testing the web client? What are the the steps you are you taking? 

We're looking to see if QA can replicate the issue you mentioned about saved searches. 

Again, thank you for your patience. 

Thank you for letting us know. I'll forward this information over to the Windows team. We appreciate your patience. 

There's another bug related to that. I have a saved search (tag:10* ...), and one of my notes matches this search. Inside there are links to notes in the same notebook, but not matching the search terms. When I click on these links, the focus jumps on the first note in the saved search instead of opening the linked note.

Thanks for reporting this. Notelinks issue noted above should be addressed in 4.6.5 GA

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

I've got some followup information for you.

First, notelinks are designed to work within the Evernote ecosystem. This is why you run into issues with sending them over outlook/IM. They're a type of link that is meant to tell an Evernote product where a certain note is. If you need to share a notelink over IM/Outlook, you'll want to use the share by URL function. 

Second, with regards to this bullet point: 

Account with access to the notebook
Local user change (CTRL-ALT-A) -> works
iPad/Android -> not tested
Web client -> broken

Can you tell me how you are testing the web client? What are the the steps you are you taking? 

We're looking to see if QA can replicate the issue you mentioned about saved searches. 

Again, thank you for your patience. 

Bricky, this really needs to be re-evaluated with Business notebooks. I should be able to share note URLs with co-workers via email or IM and it work fine. They have the same notebooks I have. I shouldn't have to create a publicly addressable URL to share with a co-worker. That is a big BIG no-no. Even then, it would bring up the web version of the note, and uneditable. If I wanted to share a note URL with someone to make comments, updates, etc, they need the real note in EN.

I think the same could be said for shared notes in non-business accounts.

First, notelinks are designed to work within the Evernote ecosystem. This is why you run into issues with sending them over outlook/IM. They're a type of link that is meant to tell an Evernote product where a certain note is.

@Brickey - 

I don't believe that is correct.  When an Evernote link (or any type of link for that matter), eg evernote:///view/370569/s4/fed1ff48-cd20-4da3-8d12-1ff4f34f4e26/fed1ff48-cd20-4da3-8d12-1ff4f34f4e26/66091b09-fcd8-4966-a530-20e82d13dbbc is clicked on, it is sent to the operating system shell which determines who is the handler of the URL prefix, in this case "evernote:", and then hands it off to the application that is registered to handle that type of url.  The URL's host, whether it be Outlook, IM, or Evernote doesn't "know" anything about the type of the link and the link doesn't know anything about it's host.  It's handled by the operating system.  (I am describing the process in Windows - Mac will have some functionally equivalent mechanism.)  This is the same for "http://..." URLs, "ftp://..." URLs, etc.  All are handled the same way.

The links to business notes do not work even if they are used within other business notebooks - same error.

@andreb - No problem.  Please see my post at http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37565-issue-with-evernote-links-in-business-notebooks-eb-ticket-12008/page-2#entry221195 (I just edited it).  Do your links work even when used fully inside the evernote ecosystem?  I find that business note links don't work at all except for the creating user.

Hi Matthew

I can confirm that only the user who created the links can follow them. In Windows, I created a link as User A in a business notebook, referring to a note in the same notebook. User B tries to follow the link on the web and it fails. I raised this bug in ticket 12008 and it was fixed in one of the betas, but apparently they killed the fix again.

What annoys me a lot is that cross-notebook links don't work at all. That's a completely useless restriction. Following a link into a notebook that's not synced should lead to a popup, offering to subscribe to this notebook.

I'm very, very disappointed of Evernote, honestly.

Thanks for reporting this. Notelinks issue noted above should be addressed in 4.6.5 GA

... and reintroduced in 4.6.7, and most probably ported to V5.

@andreb -

What annoys me a lot is that cross-notebook links don't work at all. That's a completely useless restriction. Following a link into a notebook that's not synced should lead to a popup, offering to subscribe to this notebook.

I don't think it's an intended restriction; I think it's a bug.  Like you mentioned it appeared to be fixed and now it is broken again.  

What is particularly frustrating to me is that by definition the Evernote Business product is by defintion about collaboration, and that function seems broken.

• Level 5*

We can use links within evernote. Right now, we document some of our Google Docs with support that we store in Evernote. So we copy the big Evernote link into the GDoc file. That can then be copied back into Evernote (either in the URL field or as a hyperlink in text) in a new note, and then click on it, and that will open the supporting document, so others can use the link (assuming they have access to the business notebook the link is in) but in a fairly restrictive, or at least tedious, way.

Archived