Problems with the remember password experience

Hi Evernote,

I haven't used Evernote for some time, but wanted to start using it again a couple of days ago.

I opened it up on my Mac, and then I get told that my password has expired, and I need to reset it. I wasn't expecting a password reset process to be so infuriating.

The only way I can reset it, is to provide 5 unique words from my notes - well as I said, I haven't used Evernote for some time, so I ain't got a clue (BUT I still want access to my old notes).

So, in order to reset my password, I need access to my old notes - but, in order to get access to my old notes I need to reset my password - has anyone at Evernote taken a minute out to consider this circular scenario?

I then went on to the Evernote site with Safari, and got caught up in Evernotes constant page redirects - once you have been to the password reset page, Evernote continues to take you there. I was clicking on the Evernote logo trying to get back to the home page, and I keep being re-directed. I know it may be cookies, and deleting them may help, but why should I? If I click a link that does not require me to be logged in, I should just go there - there is nothing more infuriating than seeing bad design stop me getting to where I want to go.

I then opened up Chrome, and ended up in the same situation. So, I opened Firefox, and created a new account (after first having to create a new email address for the new account) - it's the only way I can post on the forum to get help.

How can I get access to my old account without having access to my old notes? Anyone?

And while I am here, is Evernote going to keep 'expiring' our passwords? Or is this a one off after being hacked or whatever it was I notice in the forum?

Thanks

Paul

• Level 5*

Hi Evernote,

I haven't used Evernote for some time, but wanted to start using it again a couple of days ago.

I opened it up on my Mac, and then I get told that my password has expired, and I need to reset it. I wasn't expecting a password reset process to be so infuriating.

The only way I can reset it, is to provide 5 unique words from my notes - well as I said, I haven't used Evernote for some time, so I ain't got a clue (BUT I still want access to my old notes).

So, in order to reset my password, I need access to my old notes - but, in order to get access to my old notes I need to reset my password - has anyone at Evernote taken a minute out to consider this circular scenario?

I then went on to the Evernote site with Safari, and got caught up in Evernotes constant page redirects - once you have been to the password reset page, Evernote continues to take you there. I was clicking on the Evernote logo trying to get back to the home page, and I keep being re-directed. I know it may be cookies, and deleting them may help, but why should I? If I click a link that does not require me to be logged in, I should just go there - there is nothing more infuriating than seeing bad design stop me getting to where I want to go.

I then opened up Chrome, and ended up in the same situation. So, I opened Firefox, and created a new account (after first having to create a new email address for the new account) - it's the only way I can post on the forum to get help.

How can I get access to my old account without having access to my old notes? Anyone?

And while I am here, is Evernote going to keep 'expiring' our passwords? Or is this a one off after being hacked or whatever it was I notice in the forum?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul. Welcome to the forums. That sounds like a frustrating experience, and I think the best thing to do is to contact customer support (see the link in my signature). They'll get things fixed for you.

As far as the passwords are concerned, there was a hacking incident in March, and Evernote reset all of the passwords then in order to protect users. I have not heard of any password resets since then, though.

Hi Evernote,

Thanks

Paul

This is the first I've heard of having to provide words from your notes, in order to change your password.  Did you go directly to the Evernote site by typing in the URL in your browser or did you click a link?

• Level 5*

Hi Evernote,

Thanks

Paul

This is the first I've heard of having to provide words from your notes, in order to change your password.  Did you go directly to the Evernote site by typing in the URL in your browser or did you click a link?

If you need to recover your account and have absolutely nothing, not even the email to which a password reset notification would be sent, they will ask you a series of questions like this (there is usually other information they ask for as well). I have not seen the process automated, though, and I thought this would only be triggered if you contacted customer service.

Hi Evernote,

Thanks

Paul

If you need to recover your account and have absolutely nothing, not even the email to which a password reset notification would be sent, they will ask you a series of questions like this (there is usually other information they ask for as well). I have not seen the process automated, though, and I thought this would only be triggered if you contacted customer service.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I got to the pages concerned by clicking links provided by Evernote not by typing in URL's.

I have attached screenshots of the pages:

Evernote redirect.tiff shows the page I was constantly redirected to, and the page I was sent to after clicking the links supplied by Evernote in the emails they sent out. It didn't matter which button I clicked, I was always sent to the page shown by Evernote.tff

I was also clicking the emailed links immediately, not after the 2 hour time out period detailed in the emails.

Interestingly, the links now appear to take me to the sort of password reset page you would normally expect (two input boxes requesting a new password with a confirmation box below) - someone appears to have fixed something since my original post.....

It now looks like I will be able to reset my password, although I have yet to try.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Evernote,

Thanks

Paul

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I got to the pages concerned by clicking links provided by Evernote not by typing in URL's.

I have attached screenshots of the pages:

Evernote redirect.tiff shows the page I was constantly redirected to, and the page I was sent to after clicking the links supplied by Evernote in the emails they sent out. It didn't matter which button I clicked, I was always sent to the page shown by Evernote.tff

I was also clicking the emailed links immediately, not after the 2 hour time out period detailed in the emails.

Interestingly, the links now appear to take me to the sort of password reset page you would normally expect (two input boxes requesting a new password with a confirmation box below) - someone appears to have fixed something since my original post.....

It now looks like I will be able to reset my password, although I have yet to try.

Thanks

Paul

Sorry, forgot to attach the screenshots, but can't find an obvious link to upload them as attachments from my local HD - will look later when I have more time.

The "word selection" was something we implemented part way through the password reset process to help ensure users were getting back into their accounts in a more timely manner, as a first round verification--that process is only used you're having trouble verifying your account the normal way, which is via the password reset page/password reset email.

I want to clarify a few things from you first--it sounds like you were basically stuck in a loop on the word selection page, the first round of account verification, but were able to eventually get through to the password reset page.  I'd definitely like to see your screenshots so that we can confirm that this loop is fixed, I wouldn't want other users to run into the same loop while trying to verify their account.  Feel free to PM them to me.  You can also PM the original password reset email that dumped you into the word selection page, if you like.

Also, definitely let me know if you were able to successfully reset your password, now that you've gotten to the password reset page.

• 1 month later...

The "word selection" was something we implemented part way through the password reset process to help ensure users were getting back into their accounts in a more timely manner, as a first round verification--that process is only used you're having trouble verifying your account the normal way, which is via the password reset page/password reset email.

I want to clarify a few things from you first--it sounds like you were basically stuck in a loop on the word selection page, the first round of account verification, but were able to eventually get through to the password reset page.  I'd definitely like to see your screenshots so that we can confirm that this loop is fixed, I wouldn't want other users to run into the same loop while trying to verify their account.  Feel free to PM them to me.  You can also PM the original password reset email that dumped you into the word selection page, if you like.

Also, definitely let me know if you were able to successfully reset your password, now that you've gotten to the password reset page.

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue, every Evernote page I visit brings up the 'Reset password email sent' page and either button takes me to an endless redirect loop. I too was stuck on the verification page as I was unsure of the 'keywords' in my Evernote account.

I also had to create a new account to post here, I can't find a support email address anywhere and the support ticket link just takes me to the password reset page.

Cheers.

Click the support link in my signature and file a support request. Give them the username you're attempting to unlock in the ticket (explain that you're contacting on your new, secondary account) and they'll start the verification process.

Hi, sorry i haven't got back sooner.

I think my problem revolved around installing Evernote as Admin on OSX, with multiple user accounts. I can't remember if I added them before or after installing Evernote, I would lean towards after.

When I then started Evernote in one of the new user accounts, it sent me through the verification because it didn't recognise my device. I solved it by logging back into the original account, and starting Evernote from there.

Evernote now works fine on all the user accounts on my Mac.

• 2 months later...

Having the exact same issue, haven't used evernote in months now I'm stuck in a loop. Had to sign up again after clearing my browser cache to just post this. I attempted to put in a ticket but I couldn't be bothered, was easier to just sign up again.

After 30 minutes of messing around with redirects and password resets my blackberry evernote app insists there's an upgrade but when I am forced to upgrade it says it's not available for this device...go figure.

The redirects and password reset is frustrating, not everyone remembers what they wrote as notes, it's kind of the purpose of everynote..so we don't have to remember.

Personal answers and questions are a much better idea..

We've made significant enhancements to our password reset flow, especially in support, so I would definitely considering contacting our support team to assist here.  If you're running into login issues regularly, you can submit a support ticket *without* logging in and get the process started with ease.

• 1 year later...

I recently had a different problem involving a password reset:

I recently replaced my laptop hard drive. I installed Evernote and tried to log in, but it refused to take my username and password. I tried both my username and my email address but neither worked. I requested a password reset and entered a new password. It allowed me to use Evernote through the web interface, but I still couldn't log into the Windows app.
I had previously set up 2-factor authentication, but when I logged onto the web version, the code produced by Google Authenticator did not work and I had to request a code by text message.

Archived