Removing RSS Feed support from Public Notebooks

We currently have support for RSS feeds for public notebooks to allow subscribers to automatically get updates to those notebooks.

Last night's (4/10/2013) release of the web service removed this support. Attempts to access Public Notebook RSS feeds will return a 404 HTTP response code instead of the heretofore expected content.

At this point, the feature was imposing excessive load on the service relative to its use and utility, and the decision was made to remove it.

Retract, retract!

Even though they're two entirely different animals, I'm also well aware that this plays into the Reader narrative somewhat.

I'd be interested in some possible workarounds.  Perhaps IFTTT to generate a notification when a public notebook is updated?

• Level 5*

IFTTT can fire a notification when you share a new public note link, so that might not work.

I think that Zapier can do this. You can trigger off a new note from a specific notebook, as best I can tell.

• Level 5*

Despite the popularity of your posts in this forum GB, my guess is that:

1. removing support for a feature without prior notification is probably not a good idea,

2. posting changes like this on the Evernote blog is probably a good idea, and

3. there might be people out there who have no idea why things have broken down. 

Although not necessarily Evernote's best-known features, it does get used, and a heads up in some kind of official capacity wouldn't have hurt. I'm just grumbling here. I didn't use the feature, and I am not affected, but I'm thinking of the best way to go about making changes like this.

Oh, feeds was a good thing ... I know people who own a regular (WordPress-)blog an a side widget which catched the Evernote feed of their cooking notebook or so ... hm ... it is so a simple technique ... okay

But maybe this is a chance to reconsider the structure of shared notebooks: they are functional but a little bit "dowdy". You can't scroll it on tablets or smartphones, they look unfamiliar for non-evernote users and so on.

Maybe you take a real blog platform - like http://postach.io/ - and redirect the notes to such a platform?

I'm really bumbed out to hear this. I *just* found out about this feature yesterday and it solved a problem of "how do I keep track and read all the reading I need to do? (a portion of which comes from Notebooks in Evernote, another portion from RSS feeds which I aggregate into Google Reader)"

I enjoy reading on my iPad and find the RSS readers there pretty good. I don't get the same experience form reading notes from within Evernote. The UX of moving from note to note isn't as smooth as moving from one RSS article to another. Second is the inefficiency of moving between multiple apps to address a workflow that I'd like to be in a single UI experience.

Since this is really an infrastructure issue and not a limitation of app functionality, what are your thoughts for how to restore this user workflow?

This is truly an unfortunate loss. I was just setting up IFTTT to incorporate new public notes into my company's blog.  When that didn't work, I switched to EverPress, and when it couldn't find my RSS feed, I knew something was up.

Just canceling the RSS service without notifying users is wrong.  Once I had this set up I would not have checked this blog for a few weeks which means it would not have been working and I wouldn't have even known!  I realize that RSS feeds may be putting a big load on your servers, but how about supplying this service for your premium members?

• Level 5*

If you feel strongly about the removal of the RSS feed,  I'd encourage you to submit a feedback email via the support requests link.  This forum is monitored by (part of) Evernote,  but it can't hurt to make sure that your comments have been received and noted by email too...

• Level 5*

I gotta say that some advance notice before pulling the plug would have been helpful to folks who do the RSS service, to give them time to find a replacement. And tips on what replacement candiates are out there would have been a good idea as well.

Someone may wish to change https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/2181/Accessing-RSS-Feeds-for-Public-Notebooks fairly quickly - I quoted it earlier today too...  (now retracted)

Good point, I've notified the education folks to pull down.

Proper notification ahead of planned feature removals, along with proposed workarounds, is something we need to work on, and I'm bringing it up internally.

Just as I was about to take my use of Evernote up from "just me" to "care and share" I get a note to say "err, as of last night, no"...

This is annoying. I have spent quite some time assembling the following notebooks with a view to having them shared and RSS was going to be my chosen route. 

Given I can't share them in any useful, automatically updating way, anymore - and thus share the usefulness of Evernote to a wider audience - I guess I should just take them private again??

Thanks Evernote. Destroying the usefulness of RSS just as well as Google.

Photography - All Else - https://www.evernote...ondon/phallelse
Photography - Astronomy - https://www.evernote...don/phastronomy
Photography - Business - https://www.evernote...ndon/phbusiness
Photography - Canon Specific - https://www.evernote...phcanonspecific
Photography - Composition - https://www.evernote...n/phcomposition
Photography - Landscapes - https://www.evernote...on/phlandscapes
Photography - Lightroom and Photoshop - https://www.evernote...oomandphotoshop
Photography - Photographers - https://www.evernote...phphotographers
Photography - Places I want to visit - https://www.evernote...cesiwanttovisit
Photography - Portraits - https://www.evernote...don/phportraits
Photography - Technique - ttps://www.evernote...don/phtechnique

The complete lack of commentary on this from Evernote themselves is quite telling. 

Getting too big to care about us the paying public?

<<<crickets>>>

Google can dump on us - it's a free service, they can do what they like.

Sure it's annoying but hey, they ARE too big to care.

I would have thought Evernote aren't.

And they would do well to remember that a paid service can become an unused service.

• Level 5*

The complete lack of commentary on this from Evernote themselves is quite telling. 

<<<crickets>>>

And they would do well to remember that a paid service can become an unused service.

gbarry is an Evernote employee. Evernote's justification is in the first post. What are you seeking to hear?
  • Level 5*

<<<crickets>>>

Hi. Just to clarify: Evernote and Google are both free services. They also both offer paid plans in order to access additional features / storage. In other words, they are quite similar in this regard.

That's not to say the removal of RSS support could not have been handled better, but I don't think the free/premium plans are relevant here, because RSS support was available to both Free and Premium users. 

• Level 5*

I pay for Evernote. I don't pay for Google

My point was that they are both Free services with paid plans. Some people choose to pay. Others don't. But, they are both basically the same in structure. In my case, I pay Google 4.99 per month for extra storage on Google Drive. This also gives me additional storage in my email.

Here's an easy one. Reinstate RSS for paid accounts.

I don't know if it is easy or not, but it seems like a valid request to me, because I imagine there are other people out there who would also be willing to pay for access to RSS features.
  • Level 5*

Frankly, a "sorry" would be nice.

A proper workaround would be better. 

Reinstating it would be best.

In fairness to users like you, the point was made that they should have handled the notification or RSS service suspension better. In fairness to Evernote, Geoff acknowledged that.

I think that a more thorough discussion of alternatives should have been given as well.

Can't speak to reinstatement, way beyond my pay grade (= 0).

• Level 5*

I followed the instructions here, but do not get an rss feed that I can use.  Is this functionality still available?

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I am afraid it is not available. I am going to merge your thread with the existing one on the topic.

Add me to the list of Evernote users extremely disappointed with this. You could have at least emailed users that were having their feeds accessed to warn us. Now a bunch of stuff is broken for me.

I haven't upgraded to a paid account because I haven't seen any reason to, but I would definitely pay for the ability to have an RSS feed of a public notebook. As it stands now, I will have to look for an alternate service to Evernote now, which deeply saddens me as I have been otherwise happy, even enthusiastic, about Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

Very disappointed at this, this had great potential.

I was using it to display a list of todos on my phone's lock screen via rss, it worked great, life was good, I didn't miss anything. Few weeks ago it was suddenly gone, went as far as restoring my phone!

The same thing happened with imap a few years back :(

Can't see any available work around, damn shame.. I think I'll switch to a different note manager..

• Level 5*

Very disappointed at this, this had great potential.

I was using it to display a list of todos on my phone's lock screen via rss, it worked great, life was good, I didn't miss anything. Few weeks ago it was suddenly gone, went as far as restoring my phone!

The same thing happened with imap a few years back :(

Can't see any available work around, damn shame.. I think I'll switch to a different note manager..

Hi. Before you jump ship, you may want to check out Reminders in the Android beta.

• Level 5*

So I take it there is no interest from the Evernote team in adding RSS support to paid accounts?

Evernote doesn't typically share their plans with us. At a guess, if they're interested in making this a premium service, then when they're ready, they'll just announce it (possibly with a beta first).

IFTTT can only trigger on creating a new shared note link. So that's not an option in this case. I did tell @IFTTT about this thread so maybe they can expand on this.

I think the best alternative at the moment is Evernote's Activity Feed. And I would appreciate more attention to things like this, I stumbled upon this post because of a response to a post I wrote on Postach.io. Some people won't notice RSS is gone and probably depend on it to signal changes.

• Level 5*

?? Google does a lot of different things; Evernote is mainly focused in one area. I don't see Evernote and Google as even being close, except that Google has a competing product (Google Keep).

• 3 weeks later...

We have replaced the RSS feed with our new Reminders "Daily Digest" feature. Users can subscribe to the email feed of a joined notebook to be notified of changes. We feel it is much more user friendly, and future proof as more and more RSS readers are being phased out, but email is obviously not going anywhere anytime soon.

Check it out!

Hi,

That is in no way a replacement for RSS. I used the RSS feed to get real-time content from a notebook and use it in other applications. You are speaking about emails, which I'm sure is worthwhile for some users, but not for what this thread is about.

To Google Keep, I guess....

We have replaced the RSS feed with our new Reminders "Daily Digest" feature. Users can subscribe to the email feed of a joined notebook to be notified of changes. We feel it is much more user friendly, and future proof as more and more RSS readers are being phased out, but email is obviously not going anywhere anytime soon.

Check it out!

Call me old fashioned or call me thick but - either way - humour me and explain *exactly* how does a "Reminder Daily Digest" replace an RSS feed?

I don't see why RSS feeds cannot be reinstated on paid accounts. 

As for RSS readers being phased out - hmmm, wherever did you get that idea? You obviously don't use RSS.... 

Google Reader, Flickr, Evernote - when will the stupid stop?

Paul

This decision is rather baffling to me, especially with the introduction of the Evernote Food app. Isn't Food positioned as a food blogger's dream, and now you've removed the most practical way to auto-publish meals to a WordPress or Tumblr blog. Perhaps there is some functionality possible in the app itself - but I can't see anything in the Android version at least.

Another vote for re-enabling RSS with paid accounts, and generally poor service practice to pull a feature without any advance warning or consultation.

Stating that a mere daily email update is the equivalent of RSS is really an insult to users of this feature. I was depending on it greatly and it's really a shame to see your service stepping back instead of marching forward. No premium for me I guess as I honestly believed this is the main advantage you had over other note managers.

Pulling it like that on a day notice is really unprofessional to say the least.. You are losing market at the power users section, but I guess your average housewife recipe collector market won't be harmed..

maybe you should pull the mail input feature as well, this will also earn you some ad exposure time.

Check it out!

Call me old fashioned or call me thick but - either way - humour me and explain *exactly* how does a "Reminder Daily Digest" replace an RSS feed?

I don't see why RSS feeds cannot be reinstated on paid accounts. 

As for RSS readers being phased out - hmmm, wherever did you get that idea? You obviously don't use RSS.... 

Google Reader, Flickr, Evernote - when will the stupid stop?

Paul

I'm guessing the OP was an Evernote staffer doing a drive-by posting? Clearly there is no comprehension (or desire) to listen to the users. 

Tap tap.. is this thing on? We are happy to PAY for this facility... It's called a "Buying Signal".

• Level 5*

I'm guessing the OP was an Evernote staffer doing a drive-by posting? Clearly there is no comprehension (or desire) to listen to the users. 

Tap tap.. is this thing on? We are happy to PAY for this facility... It's called a "Buying Signal".

They made a decision. In my opinion, it was not a good idea to remove RSS support (I am pretty loathe to remove just about any feature from the app), but if they had to do it, then prior warning would have been a better way of going about it.

However, they obviously are interested in listening to users, as there are employees posting right in this thread in response to user posts. You might disagree with them, of course, but "disagree" is a long way from "no comprehension (or desire) to listen to the users." I think they should be given credit for what they are doing, and I hope you and others will continue to state your case, because they are listening.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

postach.io — a free blog service mentioned by a couple of others in this thread, and currently in beta, makes for a good work-around and is worth highlighting a bit more.  Granted, it means adding yet another link to the chain, with the risk that things could get messier, but the upside is all the fancy, read-baked themes postach.io offers — my Evernote content never look so good as it does on the blog site I just created, and the RSS feed generated so far has worked flawlessly.

That said, I loudly concur with those who think that public notebook RSS feeds should be restored, at least as a premium feature.

However, they obviously are interested in listening to users, as there are employees posting right in this thread in response to user posts. You might disagree with them, of course, but "disagree" is a long way from "no comprehension (or desire) to listen to the users." I think they should be given credit for what they are doing, and I hope you and others will continue to state your case, because they are listening.

Actually, I don't think they are listening to us. We've had one post from an EN employee "RSS is over, bite me" and one from a Drive-By poster who clearly has NOT THE SIMPLEST CLUE about RSS. "Use an email, it's the same"... 

Sorry Evernote - I'm going to be dropping back to free account very soon. There's no point me collating all the information if I have no way of sharing it. I might as well use Delicious - which is what I used to do before EN. 

Last chance to make an announcement about RSS for Paid Accounts guys - I'm off...

• Level 5*

Listening is not the same as doing. Yes, they listen; they always seem grateful to hear user input. However, they've already determined that their support for RSS is over, a done deal. Sure, there are some loyal Evernote RSS users, but there hasn't been a huge groundswell of support -- that I've seen in the forums anyways -- that would signal to them that they're making a huge, fatal mistake (as opposed to, say, the Mac v. 5 launch). So if you think that Evernote not doing something you want to is called "bite me", then you're entitled to your opinion, but it's what corporations do all the time. Sorry that it means the end of premium for some folks, but that's a part of the choices that developers make.

I understand how big corporations work - they confuse "customers" with "users" and get arrogant. It's the way of it, sadly.
As to Evernote - one of my biggest gripes is that they just killed it. No notice. Loads of (very helpful) admins scrambling to cover the initial outpouring of dismay.

I was readying 15 notebooks for sharing. Notebooks I had spent a long time collating and Notebooks I was looking forward to sharing on my blog.

With the internet firmly in the "social" paradigm, it seemed crazy beyond words for Evernote to slice their ONLY piece of "social" functionality off at the knees.

I can picture the meeting

"Hey Google just killed Reader!"

"Oh cool - we can kill our RSS reader too"!

"When do you want to do it? How much notice shall we give? A couple of months? Like Google?"

"Naaah.. Stuff 'em. Kill it now."

I'd even consider paying MORE for it to be reinstated. A Premium Premium Service.... 

• Level 5*

I understand how big corporations work - they confuse "customers" with "users" and get arrogant. It's the way of it, sadly.

As to Evernote - one of my biggest gripes is that they just killed it. No notice. Loads of (very helpful) admins scrambling to cover the initial outpouring of dismay.

I was readying 15 notebooks for sharing. Notebooks I had spent a long time collating and Notebooks I was looking forward to sharing on my blog.

With the internet firmly in the "social" paradigm, it seemed crazy beyond words for Evernote to slice their ONLY piece of "social" functionality off at the knees.

I can picture the meeting

"Hey Google just killed Reader!"

"Oh cool - we can kill our RSS reader too"!

"When do you want to do it? How much notice shall we give? A couple of months? Like Google?"

"Naaah.. Stuff 'em. Kill it now."

I'd even consider paying MORE for it to be reinstated. A Premium Premium Service....

My guess is that it was less sinister.

Maybe the Web team was planning on removing it for a while, and because the Web team doesn't have a "client" to update, everything occurs on the backend, and they are used to going unnoticed.

Maybe they were planning to say something this time (I certainly hope so), because it can have a dramatic effect on some users, but because of the March hacking incident, things got a little behind, and they didn't coordinate with the Evernote blog (or someone) to let users know they were killing RSS.

In fact, the Web version is often changed without notice, so I think this is a more general lack of a plan to get those updates out there. As a result, sometimes users have problems, and more often, the hard work of the web developers to improve the Web client goes unnoticed or unrecognized for a long time (if anyone ever notices). I agree that Evernote ought to have been more proactive about this (as I noted earlier in the thread), but I haven't got the impression from a single employee in all of my time using the service that they aren't trying to do good by their users/customers.

I program equipment automation for a living and for the past 15 years I have used the software from company "A".  The software is good but their tech support is atrocious.  A few years ago company "B" developed a software package that was just as good as A's (in some ways better and in some ways weaker).  However B's tech support is wonderful, their attitude is: "How can we make this product better for our users?"  If we request a feature they are quick to implement it because they know we are the ones that really sell the software.  Because of this, I am slowly switching all my customers over to company B's software.  Company A is losing $millions in revenue due to lost support contracts.

Moral of the story: Don't ignore your early adopters/evangelists requests or they will redirect their "clients" to utilize other software.

• Level 5*

I program equipment automation for a living and for the past 15 years I have used the software from company "A".  The software is good but their tech support is atrocious.  A few years ago company "B" developed a software package that was just as good as A's (in some ways better and in some ways weaker).  However B's tech support is wonderful, their attitude is: "How can we make this product better for our users?"  If we request a feature they are quick to implement it because they know we are the ones that really sell the software.  Because of this, I am slowly switching all my customers over to company B's software.  Company A is losing $millions in revenue due to lost support contracts.

Moral of the story: Don't ignore your early adopters/evangelists requests or they will redirect their "clients" to utilize other software.

I understand the dynamic, I just don't think that it applies in all cases. You need to listen to your users (oops, "customers", whatever) but you can't lose sight of what your own aims are, what you do best, what's feasible for you to achieve (because there are a *lot* of user feature requests of all different types; read the forums) and where you think that your customers are actually coming from. This is not a foolproof process, and sometimes companies guess wrong -- they ultimately can pay the price (by going out of business), and also thereby affect the users that depend on their services. My take is that Evernote didn't ignore their customers' requests; they listened, factored it into their plans and made a business decision. It's unfortunate for the folks that depend (or wanted to depend) on the RSS services, but it sounds like Evernote is prepared to live with the consequences. I'd agree that they they could have done better with giving the existing RSS users better notice.

Wow. I'm a new user, enjoying Evernote so far, and considering going with the paid plan. I thought it would be great to syndicate my research notes into several development blogs of which I'm a participant. The convenience would be worth the cost. Unless there's some other way I'm missing, it looks like I've entered another walled garden :-(

• Level 5*

Wow. I'm a new user, enjoying Evernote so far, and considering going with the paid plan. I thought it would be great to syndicate my research notes into several development blogs of which I'm a participant. The convenience would be worth the cost. Unless there's some other way I'm missing, it looks like I've entered another walled garden :-(

Evernote is hardly a walled garden in this respect, but this change does make it harder to get RSS content into Evernote. Nevertheless, there are ways to do this. Personally, I use a combination of Feedly and IFTTT to send links to starred articles into Evernote, and from there I can do the actual reading, and choose to clip. I believe that the Zapier service has RSS feed => Evernote support as well.

Evernote is hardly a walled garden in this respect, but this change does make it harder to get RSS content into Evernote. Nevertheless, there are ways to do this. Personally, I use a combination of Feedly and IFTTT to send links to starred articles into Evernote, and from there I can do the actual reading, and choose to clip. I believe that the Zapier service has RSS feed => Evernote support as well.

I don't think you understand the metaphor of the walled garden. It's not about an inability to plant more flowers inside the garden (pulling RSS into Evernote in your example), it's about not allowing anyone outside the garden to see the lovely flowers  :)

If I contribute data to Evernote, I want to be able to share that with anyone (i.e., truly public) of my choosing. RSS allowed me to make notes and selectively have them reflected to various sites without viewers being required to sign up for Evernote. Now, my data is walled off, and therefore not as useful to me. HTH.

No - the issue the OP is having is the same as mine. Once information is inside the Evernote "walled garden" is it IMPOSSIBLE to share it again. Sure, I can download and remove it but share it? Naaahh. Not a chance. 

Tell me, how do I share information held in Evernote notebooks? 

The same options that have always been available are still available to all users via the Share menu (for individual notes) and via the Sharing section of each individual notebook.

For a note, you can select it and send a single note share to Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Email or just copy the link to send to anyone.

For a notebook, you can invite users (if you want to keep it private) or create a Public Notebook URL if you want to keep it public.

Here's an example of an Evernote public notebook:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/pjournel/theelephantchannel

There is also an IFTTT recipe here:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/105393

The same options that have always been available are still available to all users via the Share menu (for individual notes) and via the Sharing section of each individual notebook.

If that's true, then where is the option to share an RSS feed? Clearly a feature that was supported previously (RSS) is no longer supported, no?

For a note, you can select it and send a single note share to Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Email or just copy the link to send to anyone.

Fine, but certainly not a substitute for an RSS feed. Not even in the same ballpark.

For a notebook, you can invite users (if you want to keep it private) or create a Public Notebook URL if you want to keep it public.

Here's an example of an Evernote public notebook:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/pjournel/theelephantchannel

Okay, so I can send someone a link and they can go to the Evernote website, dismiss the "join" dialog, and look at my notebook. Again, not a substitute for an RSS feed which allows ME to control how/where my content is presented to the viewer.

There is also an IFTTT recipe here:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/105393

Thank you for the suggestion and your efforts to help. I spent a couple of hours this morning, hoping this would be the answer, but unfortunately it wasn't. You named this recipe "Evernote to RSS" when it is actually "Evernote to Feedly." It's a walled-garden to walled-garden solution. My goal isn't to simply read Evernote via some other interface. I know from a lay-person's point-of-view RSS is just a consumption format, but for many others it's a publication format. RSS allows a person to share/publish/syndicate their data via an open standard (the RSS specification), so it can be consumed by any other service that supports the standard. Let's say someone in my field values what I say. If Evernote produced RSS (as it did until recently), blog owners/operators/admins could subscribe to my RSS feed and whenever I post to Evernote, the contents would show up as content on their websites (the same can be said of my own websites). Hopefully that more clearly illustrates what capability has been lost by the removal of RSS. Of course, I understand the counter, economic, political motivations that might be at work here. Too many people want to be a Zuckerberg and capture the client.

I thought I might wait to see if RSS was returned to the app, but I think the fact that it was removed destroys my trust in Evernote's openness. Too, bad, because in all other ways I enjoyed it and was hoping to collapse my bookmarking (Delicious - which continues to support RSS) and note-taking into one app.

BTW, after setting up IFTTT and Feedly accounts and verifying that I was able to retrieve normal RSS feeds, nothing from Evernote ever appeared in Feedly.

• 1 month later...

Since Google Reader was killed, RSS has seen quite a boost, with a ton of new platforms jumping in or existing ones adding support. If this is not a sign that RSS functionality is truly important and very relevant, I don't know what is.

I for my part was planning to turn one of my notebooks into an RSS feed for months. Last time I checked, the feature was still alive and kicking. Based on this knowledge, I started to integrate Evernote more into my workflows, assuming that when the time was right, I could enable RSS sharing. Now that I'm actually there, the feature is gone. Apparently without any prior notice.

For free customers, this must be annoying. 

For me (I'm a paying customer), this is beyond frustrating. I feel betrayed.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

One workaround is to create a IFTTT rule that fetches new Evernote notes. Then connect that in IFTTT to another service that creates a feed of it. Good thing about IFTTT is that it makes the Evernote body HTML. (Zapier can't do that, they only can process Evernote notes as plain text.)

I myself connected it to a Google sheet that was publised as CSV, which I used to import the notes in a website.

Archived