Quickly delete all unused tags?

I have a lot of tags that were created through IFTTT.com recipes that I no longer use. Is there an easy and quick way to select all unused tags and delete them.

I want to delete them and not ignore them because they come up as autocomplete options when tagging and it's a nuisance. 

• Level 5

There's no single step way to do this.

Here's the easiest way I've found:

- Click on Tags

- Sort by Note Count

- Hold down the command key

- Click on all of the tags with count of 0

- Control-click (or right click) on one of them

- Select 'Delete Tags…'

- Confirm the delete

It would be nice if we could use shift-click to select all tags between the two we've clicked (click the first, hold shift and click the last and it selects all between) instead of just command-clicking them one at a time.

The other issue is that on the Mac client, if you click outside a tag it inexplicably unselects all the tags you've clicked. So I have to be extremely careful about command-clicking more than a few tags otherwise I risk losing all the command-clicking I've done.

• 5 months later...

- Click on Tags

- Sort by Note Count

- Select 'Delete Tags…'

- Confirm the delete

I cannot see where you can sort tags or sort by note count? I am using version 5 on the PC

• Level 5

I cannot see where you can sort tags or sort by note count? I am using version 5 on the PC

You're right. I don't see a way to sort the tags in the Windows client either.

The original question was about the Mac client.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

push, where to this on Windows Version??

I'd like to know too. Deleting multiple tags won't work on the PC for me.

Deleting multiple tags would be a useful feature saving EN users countless cumulative hours and hours.

When you add someone elses notebook to your account - when they use tons of tags - makes for a cluttered sytem for you when you use a limited set of tags.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't find a way to sort by # of tags online either. I just noticed I have a bunch of tags that I never intentionally made and have no idea why they are there, so I'd like to ditch them as well. When at work, I use the Evernote clipper to save things to my personal account and use the online version to type things in and change rather than the downloaded version.

- Click on Tags

- Sort by Note Count

- Select 'Delete Tags…'

- Confirm the delete

I was just doing this (on a Mac with Mavericks), selecting and deleting groups of unused and little-used tags, when Evernote (v. 5.0.5) crashed. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

How does one actually delete these 0 count tags. The delete key has no effect, and the "delete" option in the "Edit" menu is grayed out, thus not selectable. I can't find any other notation about "deleting selected' or similar anywhere else in the Evernote Desktop version 6.0.11 running on my MacBook Air with OS X 10.10. 

Clues? Hints? Diagrams? Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I too am having trouble with deleting those 0 count tags. The Pinterest slide above has no effect on my MacBook Pro Retina (running OS 10.10.3, Evernote 6.0.3). 

Just found some great tips for cleaning up my Evernote  and now can't tidy up my tags, very sad.

• 3 months later...

It would actually be great to just auto delete any tag that doesn't have any notes associated with it.  The tags are so easy to create during note creation that when the note count reaches 0, the tag should just auto delete.  There really should be no need for user intervention.  Allowing the system to do it makes it much more usable across all the platforms.

-Carlo.

Archived