Desktop client stopped syncing in Windows 7

Evernote desktop suddenly stopped syncing a couple of days ago, but there's no error message. It says "Synchronization complete", but when I check the web client or my android client - no new or updated notes have been uploaded from my desktop client.

I updated to the latest desktop version - it didn't make any difference. I also emptied the trash - no difference. 

The android client is still syncing fine, but obviously I can't work from my laptop, and I've become reliant on Evernote now - a mistake, it would seem!

I've submitted several tickets, but no response.

Does it boil down to an uninstall/reinstall? And would I lose all my local data? 

Any help greatly appreciated! 

• Level 5*

First things first -- if Syncing from your Windows client fails, then you should see an error message. You should also check your Activity Log for problems relating to synching.

Second thing -- check your account using the Evernote web client (http://www.evernote.com/Home.action) -- if your Windows notes are there, then the problem is not with the Windows client; it's more likely that your Android client is not syncing correctly. If that's the case, a support request is the way to go. You should have gotten a reply within 1 business day, but it can take longer for free users, because premium users are prioritized first.

Thanks Jeff. There is no error message - the desktop client says "Syncing... 100%. Synchronization complete". Which is all very well, but when I log into the web client my new/edited notes are not there, and they don't appear on my android client either. 

Any notes I add or edit from my android client are uploaded to the web client and to my desktop client just fine, but it's stopped working the other way round.

The android client uploads new/edited notes, but the Windows one doesn't. 

• Level 5*

So it's the Windows client, evidently. If you haven't received at least an automated reply from Evernote's support folks, and it's been over a day, check your spam folder; sometimes the replies land there.

Thanks Jeff.

Correct, it's the windows client. I've just uninstalled and re-installed it as a last resort. It made no difference.

Also checked my firewall - no problem there. 

Will hope Evernote tech support reply or else I'll just have to forget about Evernote.

I've submitted several tickets, but no response.

EN responds to tickets by premium users within one business day, California time.  Free users as time permits.  IIRC, Heather posted last week that they had been really swamped & so response times were longer than normal.  I don't know if that's still the case.  If you've not received a reply in a timely manner, you can always post your ticket number(s) here & a mod can flag it for EN to make sure it didn't fall through the cracks.

Also, be sure you're checking the email that's associated with your Evernote account.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having problems syncing from my laptop.  Although my error message says "sync failed due to an unexpected error at server."   I just downloaded evernote yesterday.. so it is the latest version.   And of course I am connected to the internet. I hope this gets fixed soon, I was really looking forward to using and promoting Evernote.

• 2 months later...

This is happening to me as well.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice.  I'm using Windows 7.  Desktop app tells me I'm synched but the changes aren't showing for anyone else and aren't on the website version. 

Has any progress been made to resolve this issue? 

Thank you.

I am also having problems syncing from my laptop. Although my error message says "sync failed due to an unexpected error at server." I just downloaded evernote yesterday.. so it is the latest version. And of course I am connected to the internet. I hope this gets fixed soon, I was really looking forward to using and promoting Evernote.

This is happening to me as well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. I'm using Windows 7. Desktop app tells me I'm synched but the changes aren't showing for anyone else and aren't on the website version.

Has any progress been made to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

This is my problem as well. I hope to see it resolved soon. I work from one laptop, so I've already filed away my entire life, but I was hoping to actually use some of the features I've heard about besides filing.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35161-syncing-with-pc/

Similar discussion here ^^

Please see posts #6 & #4 above.

• 9 months later...

I am running Windows 7. 

I installed the windows client - but any new notebooks created in it refused to synch to the web, and so mobile device. 

I recreated the notebooks (with a slightly different name) via the web interface and did a good ol' cut n paste. 

The PC client was able to download these new notebooks to its local dB. 

I can now edit the content of these notebooks and it does synch. 

Best guess it is a windows 7 client issue that effects newly (locally) created notebooks. 

Not much help if you have lots of data to synch... 

I am running Windows 7. 

I installed the windows client - but any new notebooks created in it refused to synch to the web, and so mobile device. 

I recreated the notebooks (with a slightly different name) via the web interface and did a good ol' cut n paste. 

Best guess it is a windows 7 client issue that effects newly (locally) created notebooks. 

When you created the new notebooks on the Windows client, did you set them up as local or synchronized?

I am running Windows 7. 

When you created the new notebooks on the Windows client, did you set them up as local or synchronized?

I left the default - which is Synched. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem. My synchronization fails, but the activity log just shows problems with conflicting notes. I've deleted the notes, so now the activity log just points to a file with link that's gone.

My Android evernote (on my phone) syncs, and I see the updated notes there & on the web versions.  I've emptied the trash, uninstalled/reinstalled evernote, and it hasn't helped. I could open a help ticket, but I'm assuming that this isn't just happening to me?

Thanks

I'm having a similar problem. My synchronization fails, but the activity log just shows problems with conflicting notes. I've deleted the notes, so now the activity log just points to a file with link that's gone.

My Android evernote (on my phone) syncs, and I see the updated notes there & on the web versions.  I've emptied the trash, uninstalled/reinstalled evernote, and it hasn't helped. I could open a help ticket, but I'm assuming that this isn't just happening to me?

Thanks

This is a users forum.  If you want help & haven't found an answer on the board or the answers provided do not work for you, you should open a support ticket.

I am having the same problem.  I believe I have had window 7 for awhile but it just decide not to sync anymore.  Is it a new update that caused all this?

I'm using Win 7 & have been using current EN releases for with no sync problems.  Please see post #19.

I had the exact same thing happen to me for a period of time on an early version of 4.x.  The kicker of it is, when it's not reporting sync errors and showing as if the syncs have been successful, you wind up with notes you don't even know didn't make it to the servers until they can pile up over an ongoing amount of time.

This led me to doing a mass export of unsynced notes, which snowballed into a few other bizarre problems that were a nice distraction.  My seemingly innocent import method of double clicking the ENEX said the amount of notes were too many to import, despite EN letting me export it. Experimenting with smaller import/export batches with this method worked, but butchered the dates. I've used this method to import since the beginning of time, so that means anything I've imported had butchered dates unbeknownst to me until this point on.  Much later I realized that using file/import instead of double clicking a program associated ENEX file produced completely different results, and those particular problems were now avoidable.  I still have the 200+ notes that may or may not have exact or slightly different duplicates in an import folder from back then as a hairy reminder. I know I've griped about inconsistencies before, but those really bit me in the arse with terrible timing.

See how off track that got from the first problem?  By the time I got that sorted, the original issue (the one you're having) mysteriously disappeared without any clue as to what corrected it, much less what went wrong.  So yes. I had the same problem. It got fixed. And despite the posts, trouble tickets, and fist fulls of my own hair,  no one knows why or how to this day.

After seeing a different activity log (doesn't show up if you just click the "Activity" icon on the main menu bar, but go to the Activity Log under Tools) and seeing that something was wrong with the database, I realized that there might be a corrupted database on my PC that hadn't gotten refreshed with my re-install.

So, I uninstalled Evernote, deleted the Evernote databases manually, rebooted my PC, and re-installed Evernote. Voila!  Updated notes were loaded onto my PC and everything seems fine. I don't know how the corruption happens, but it helped to realize that the databases don't get deleted unless you manually do this.

Good luck ti others with this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After trying re-installs etc I finally found out that it was content in my notes which caused trouble. In my case removing">>>",  "<<<", and "***" helped and now all syncs as it should

Hello, I have featured your comment in a post at fixEvernoteSync. Drop me a message if you do not wish to have your username mentioned and I will remove it promptly

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Had this problem but got it solved.. heard back from Evernote support and this is what helped:

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. My name is Linda and I'll be happy to assist you today. I believe the issue you're experiencing may be related to some recent security settings changes we've made on our servers. Please note that you must be running at least Windows XP SP3 (or newer) and have Internet Explorer 8 (or newer) installed. Then, to ensure you have the most up-to-date settings, please do the following:

1. Quit Evernote
  2. Go to your Start menu, then go to Control Panel
  3. Then go to Internet Options > Advanced
  4. Scroll all the way down and check: Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1, Use TLS 1.2 (if present), and un-check: SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0
  5. See here for a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfvj9b47g7dqef1/Win-Internet-Options.gif?dl=0
  6. Reopen Evernote

If you continue to have an issue after doing the above or your issue is unrelated to this, please reply to this message and attach your Activity Log by following these steps:

1. Open Evernote; select Help > Activity Log…
  2. Select Save As… > Desktop > Save
  3. Reply to this email and attach the saved log file

This Activity Log contains a detailed list of the steps the Evernote application performs and will help us diagnose the problem you are experiencing.

• 1 year later...

This is my issue. I'm using this at work. It was working fine yesterday, but for some reason today it isn't and restarting, quitting reopening, changing internet options doesn't work, but it works perfectly on my iPhone which is on the exact same network.

User: thwrightstuff
Memory: 59.4 MB
Created: 2016/09/22 10:40:55
---
Bootstrap info: loadedDatabase
<bootstrap_info><profile name="Evernote"><settings account_email_domain="m.evernote.com" cardscanUrl="https://cscan.evernote.com/cardagain" enable_facebook_sharing="1" enable_gift_subscriptions="1" enable_google="1" enable_linkedin_sharing="1" enable_shared_notebooks="1" enable_single_notesharing="1" enable_sponsored_accounts="1" enable_support_tickets="1" enable_twitter_sharing="1" marketing_url="https://evernote.com" service_host="www.evernote.com" support_url="https://help.evernote.com/hc/"/></profile></bootstrap_info>
---
10:40:10 [5340] Client synchronization started
10:40:10 [2412] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s109
10:40:10 [2412] 0% Connecting account thwrightstuff
10:40:10 [2412] 0% Loaded updateCount: 106
10:40:10 [2412] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=0
10:40:10 [2412] 0% SyncState: devices used: 2
10:40:10 [2412] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount: 106
10:40:10 [2412] 0% Updating server items
10:40:10 [2412] 0% Creating server note "Various Tasks", resource count: 0
10:40:10 [2412] 0% EDAMNotFoundException: id="Note.notebookGuid" key="71962b04-8e9d-451c-bb58-b6d062a322c2"
10:40:10 [5340] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
10:40:10 [5340] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side

Archived