Sloooooowwwwww

cjdeheer

Idea

I'm finding Evernote on the Mac excruciatingly slow. When I enter a search term, it hangs for a few seconds while it's thinking. Often, it prevents me from completing what I was typing because it's processing what I've typed so far. The whole UI just feels really sluggish. I tried deleting the whole Evernote folder and downloading a fresh db, but that didn't help. I have 7659 notes. Hopefully that isn't the reason, because I rely on Evernote too much for it to become increasingly slow as I use it more.

And by the way, I haven't been on these forums in a while. Sorry to be double-negative in this post, but I really don't like the new forum UX. Searching the Evernote Mac forum is impossible, or at least it requires navigating to an advanced search and typing "mac" as a tag. Really counter-intuitive. And the search bar in the forum defaults to searching the whole site, not just the forum? That's just weird. Not to mention it doesn't include the option to search only the current section of the forum.

21 replies to this idea

I've tried the advice given on this apple thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3238726 and told evernote to run in 32-bit mode to reduce RAM consumption. I have much slow issues much less frequently now.

Running MBA with Mountain Lion, 4GB ram.

Wow, that totally worked! I changed it to run in 32 bit, and it behaves like a normal app now! Thank you so much!!!

ditto!!!! thank you so much @StephenZhang - i was this close --> <-- to tossing Lion out the window!

I've tried the advice given on this apple thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3238726 and told evernote to run in 32-bit mode to reduce RAM consumption. I have much slow issues much less frequently now.

Running MBA with Mountain Lion, 4GB ram.

Wow, that totally worked! I changed it to run in 32 bit, and it behaves like a normal app now! Thank you so much!!!

This is a major problem for me too. The desktop app takes a long time to open, and even to add a new note is frustratingly slow. I find the new web clipper to be really slow too - all in all it's becoming much less useful for actually taking notes quickly.  I'm on a macbook air 11 inch, with about 4K notes.

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey, when I search using tags it's slow in finding notes.  If I use a saved search it's fine. 

Interesting. If you search using the tag: search grammar (tag:groceries) in the search bar is it slow as well? If so, that would suggest that navigation works fine, but search is the slow thing, and the slowness is limited to that. Maybe certain search terms are fine and others are not. I don't know. If both are fast (the advanced search and the icon navigation), then that would be interesting to know as well. It could explain why I am being hit so hard by the slowness, because I spend so much time using search.

Still, with that number of notes, it ought to be pretty fast either way for you.

• Level 5*

I have a new MBP with 16 gb RAM, 558 notes and 5 notebooks and search is unbearably slow!  I came here looking for a solution, but found that I'm not alone.  Most of my files are PDF files, some several pages, all of these I need to quickly reference for work.  I have to have a more speedy search option or my premium service is for naught.

That sounds very odd. I have a very slow account as well, but on an MBA with 4GB or RAM I had no problems until I got into the thousands. Could you give us a little more information about your account and usage. What, exactly, is slow?

I have a new MBP with 16 gb RAM, 558 notes and 5 notebooks and search is unbearably slow!  I came here looking for a solution, but found that I'm not alone.  Most of my files are PDF files, some several pages, all of these I need to quickly reference for work.  I have to have a more speedy search option or my premium service is for naught.

Same here, 2012 MBP with 8GB of RAM, very few applications open and I have to think twice nowadays when I wanna put/find something in Evernote. It gets worse with newer versions. Thanks team for making the app slower rather than faster with every update.

• Level 5*

I usually blame the incremental search for slowness, but that doesn't always seem to be the case. Even when copy/pasting the app often lags several seconds before a search is completed. There is no beachballing, but everything just stops. It looks like it is frozen, but eventually it will respond. However, yesterday it somehow got stuck on a search and refused to let me do other searches or clear the current one. It was quite strange.

If this happens to anyone, you can go into the notebooks tab and select a notebook. This seemed to help even when quitting Evernote and the Evernote Helper (the elephant icon in the top bar) did not.

This is the case for me too. I have about 7200 notes and Evernote has been excruciatingly slow. I have a lot of PDFs and office documents as attachments and I get that maybe this slows things up a bit but clearly simple tasks like notebook selection should not last 5 seconds! The Windows client is in my experience more responsive.

I have found searching to be painfully slow as well. It really makes the search function virtually unusable for me. This needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

• Level 5*

I'm finding Evernote on the Mac excruciatingly slow. When I enter a search term, it hangs for a few seconds while it's thinking. Often, it prevents me from completing what I was typing because it's processing what I've typed so far. The whole UI just feels really sluggish. I tried deleting the whole Evernote folder and downloading a fresh db, but that didn't help. I have 7659 notes. Hopefully that isn't the reason, because I rely on Evernote too much for it to become increasingly slow as I use it more.

And by the way, I haven't been on these forums in a while. Sorry to be double-negative in this post, but I really don't like the new forum UX. Searching the Evernote Mac forum is impossible, or at least it requires navigating to an advanced search and typing "mac" as a tag. Really counter-intuitive. And the search bar in the forum defaults to searching the whole site, not just the forum? That's just weird. Not to mention it doesn't include the option to search only the current section of the forum.

Hi. I have experienced the same problem a lot as well, but I will say that it is markedly better than back in October (before 5.0) and is still better than Windows (a registry change will stop it from using incremental search). I wish we had more customizability and an option to turn off incremental search / search completion. I have about 7,300 notes. It sounds like we are in the same boat, and it is probably due to the amount of data in your account (maybe not the note number necessarily, but the content).

It may also be that I need to carve things up more so that I have things squirreled away into more notebooks, or tagged more in order to give the index something more than just a flat mass of data. I haven't experimented much with it. By the way, 99% of the content of my account is plain old text.

Something that might help is to start with a saved search (or copy/paste in a search query) that filters out a bunch of unnecessary stuff. For example, in searches of my journals, I copy/past "intitle:journal" and start from there. That seems to speed things up a little.

Archived