(Archived) PDF searching in Evernote with old PDF files

HackerJL

Idea

Good day good people of Evernote.  Been using Evernote a TON over the years, love it, and jumped into the premium about 6 months ago.  Love everything about it.

I want to start by saying ive followed/searched/read a ton about PDF files in Evernote, but none seem to help me.  I hope Ive missed something or im just doing something wrong (hey, it happens).

Ive been working at my current job for about 4 years now, and twice a month I get paid (wohooo!).  Im trying to go paperless, so they just hand my my paystub, I open it up, stick it in my xerox in the office and email it to myself.  From there, my current flow was to throw it in my dropbox.  So I have a few years worth of stuff in there.  A few weeks ago, I thought to myself 'Why the heck dont I use evernote'.  From what I understand I should be able to scan the files in the same way I am doing now, but sending them directly to Evernote would allow them to be searchable.  Not only that, but I could drag and drop my existing files into Evernote and be able to delete them from dropbox. This would allow me to search them in a much more productive fashion then I am currently.

So, like everything in life, I decided to test this on a small-scale first. I dropped a number of files from previous years into Evernote, let them sync, wait even a few hours, and see what the results were. The results have not been good. It appears as though my Xerox scans my papers in at a slight tilt. I thought that this would be the reason it could not do it. However if Evernote could do handwriting recognition, a slight 1° tilt should not be the end of the world. I have looked over the PDF search item in the knowledge base to see what the problem could be, everything that I can see is correct. I have also seen a number of posts in the forums that suggest doing OCR on the files before syncing them to Evernote could fix or at least help it. I use adobe acrobat pro and can do OCR through it, but I have had zero success with it as well. However, if I read through the knowledgebase article, it appears as though any other OCR would immediately cause Evernote to reject the processing of that individual file. Am I missing something?

I am looking for any suggestions to help me through this, I simply want to search my PDF files successfully and thoroughly.

Thanks!

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Evernote's PDF rules are:

Premium users' content has priority,  and the system doesn't OCR if the PDF

• already contains text that you can search, select, copy, paste
  • is more than 25MB
  • contains more than 100 pages

If you've OCR'd the text before uploading the document,  you don't need Evernote to do the job for you - the text is part of the file and will be indexed.  And you can get around the pages / size limitations by processing it yourself.

I suggest you OCR a file yourself and make sure it's internally searchable - open it in Adobe and verify you can find a few keywords.  Then attach the file to a note and check it a few hours later - can you search in Evernote for the same keywords?

If you can't find keywords in Adobe you may not be scanning at a high enough resolution.  300 dpi is minimum.  If you can find keywords in Adobe but not in Evernote (after 24 hours or so) then raise a support ticket!

Hi

I posted a similar query as I have the same problem but I've found the following:

• I copied a number of PDFs from DropBox to EN and none were searchable in EN. I accidentally also copied a jpeg file from DB to EN and that became searchable
  • Scanning from my own scanner to DB and then moving the files to EN resulted in searchable PDFs, but copying files (scanned on another system) from my DB to EN resulted in PDFs that were not searchable

Hope this information helps to prompt a solution with someone.

Hi

I posted a similar query as I have the same problem but I've found the following:

• I copied a number of PDFs from DropBox to EN and none were searchable in EN. I accidentally also copied a jpeg file from DB to EN and that became searchable
  • Scanning from my own scanner to DB and then moving the files to EN resulted in searchable PDFs, but copying files (scanned on another system) from my DB to EN resulted in PDFs that were not searchable
Hope this information helps to prompt a solution with someone.

Evernote only indexes PDFs for premium accounts. It does index images for both free & premium accounts. The files you scanned may be indexed by your scanning software while the ones scanned on the other system are not.

Archived