Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Windows Error Code 2732 workarounds

evernote Windows

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Geoff, unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see that you mention importing anything from the backup.  Seems the backup is a CYA tactic?  I guess my concern about this post (since it's an "official" EN post, is that no mention is made of local/non-sync'd notebooks and/or unsync'd notes.  IOW, in looking at these instructions, what is the expected next move in order to get one's data back?   Typically, a "good/full" uninstall would delete the live files & folders used by the app & I recall Revo does this.  (Unlike the Windows add/remove program which often will leave files & folders on the computer.)  So is the expected move after a good un/re-install to download the database from the EN servers or to restore from the backup?  If the expected next move is to download notes from the EN servers, then any unsync'd notes or local notebooks will be missing.  If the next expected step is restoring from a backup, I'd think copying the exb file would be the preferred method (since it preserves notebook information as well as retains local notebooks & unsync'd notes) vs importing from an enex file.

You're exactly right. I'm going to adjust the above to include reinstalling from local exb backup, for all the reasons you state above, as well as the fact that it's just faster if you've got a large database.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#22 amirtal

amirtal

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

THIS IS BULLSHIT !

FIX YOUR SOFTWARE, DON'T BLAME IT ON WINDOWS REGISTRY !!!

#23 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,756 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

THIS IS BULLSHIT !

Please settle down and post a reference to where anyone in Evernote is blaming the registry. It may be fixable by editing the registry, but that's not the same as blaming the registry. In the mean time, they are fixing the software, but due to the unfortunate fact that the bug exists in released software that's out in the field, they need to post workarounds that fix the possible scenarios.

~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#24 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,801 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Kind of odd timing, but I just updated the above post: http://discussion.ev...ounds/?p=197207 to include a regedit workaround.  We're finding this is working quite well in some circumstances.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#25 carehart

carehart

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

In his note above, GBarry (I inadvertantly referred to him as an Evangelist, but he is an EN employee) offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

I'd like to offer some feedback and also some more info with respect to that. Geoff wrote (or may have gathered from elsewhere):

------------------------

Advanced Users/regedit option:

1. Open regedit (windows key + r, type regedit) and search (control + f) for the following:

4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E

E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

If you locate any of these, delete them and reboot, then install 4.6.4.

------------------------

I appreciate that as an Evernote employee Geoff's simply trying to help and does of course indicate that this is a step for "advanced users". Still, I do fear that even those comfortable with using regedit could use even just a little more info to be sure to "delete" the right thing and also to make sure they "find" all they really need to.

I share here two broad sets of observations: first about the keys/values I've found searching for these strings (and questions about what all to really delete) and second some suggestions to help others who may try to do that find within regedit. It's easy to miss a couple of key points and not find what you need to. Yes, this is a long note, but when dealing with registry tweaks, it's really best to err on the side of caution and careful detail, I think. :-)

(Indeed, any suggestion to modify the registry must come with great caution to be very careful. A wrong move can prevent some unexpected problem whether with one or more apps or even your whole machine. Even "advanced users" should be careful to seriously consider doing a backup, either of their entire computer or of at least the registry itself before making any changes where they are not confident in what they are doing. I can understand GBarry not thinking this needed to be repeated, in the interest of getting the ideas out ASAP. But as long as I'm writing, I'll say it in case it may help even one person who might not have considered it.)

1) What should we REALLY be deleting? data, values, or entire keys? And in all cases? I think not...

First of all, we're told the string to look for, and you say "If you locate any of these, delete them", but by "them", do you mean we should delete only the one value (if it's one of many within a key)? or the entire key (if it contains a value holding this string and others)?

That's not as obvious as it may seem, as I hope to show. Without being told, folks could read this any way they want, and you could get different people declaring success or failure who may not have done really the "same thing". (And some might make a wrong move with potentially severe consequences, thus the warning about backing up above.)

1a) For instance, in searching across all keys, values, and data for the first string offered, "4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E", I found the following:

The key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4\

with the value=data pair:

ProductIcon=c:\Windows\Installer\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}\Evernote.ico

There were 11 other values within that key. So should we delete the whole key (and all 12 values) or just the one value holding this string you mention? I'd assume the former, but your note here doesn't say. (Fortunately, it does at least refer to Evernote in the data so it seems safe to assume this is indeed a key of interest.)

I also found the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4

with the same value/data as above:

ProductIcon=c:\Windows\Installer\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}\Evernote.ico

and seemingly the same 11 other values as the one above.

Then I found the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

and the value/data:

c:\Windows\Installer\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}\ (this was a reg_sz value with no data assigned to it)

But here's a big difference: note that this value is one of hundreds of others within that key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders), and they refer to folders for all the windows installers, so it seems that people should be warned NOT to delete the entire key. Instead (I assume you would mean) they should delete (if anything) just that one value. But people really need to be told, lest they misinterpret the "delete them" suggestion.

Again, I realize this was written for for "advanced users". Even so, noting that just these 3 sets of keys/values above are quite different, it's just doesn't seem enough to say only "delete them".  Just trying to help, not criticize.

Continuing the search (as much to document things for interested readers), the next key I found with that first string was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4\InstallProperties

with value/data of:

ModifyPath=MsiExec.exe /X{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

and about 25 other values. This seems perhaps one of real interest, since it's all about install properties (along with the next, about uninstall properties). But since you say to delete all references, I wouldn't mean to be suggesting that folks should delete only this or the next one.

The next key having that string is one of its value/data fields is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

also with

ModifyPath=MsiExec.exe /X{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

and

UninstallString=MsiExec.exe /X{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

and about 25 other keys.

1b) That's just the locations for the first string GBarry offered. As for the second string (E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899), I found just the following three keys with that string in their key name:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

And all three having just one empty value. If perhaps these were what really needed to be removed, that might be nice, as they are the simplest to contemplate (having only that one value with no data), and clearly being related to installer "upgrade codes", whatever that may mean.

Hope all that's helpful to someone else who may have been wondering what we might find in searching for these strings. (I'd like to wait for any more info, if it might be offered, before trying to delete any of these myself.)

2) People using Regedit Find should beware a couple of things

I also want to share a couple of tips related to using the Regedit find as suggested here. Again, I do realize GBarry was sharing the suggested strings to search for as for "advanced users", but even those folks could miss something to their detriment (and to those here trying to understand what's happening as people "try this" as a solution.)

First, and along the lines of my asking whether you mean that we should be looking for a key (things in the left pane) or value/data (things on the right pane), note that the regedit find dialogue offers an option for you to choose one or all three of those things to search: keys (things in the left pane) or values or data (things in the right pane). And note that if you had previously opened Regedit to do some other find, whether days or years ago, you may find different checkboxes set from that previous search you did. Until we get an answer to my first question above, it seems safest to check all three options (to find "anything" holding that string.

(The "match whole string" option may be helpful but does not seem necessary since these are pretty unique strings we're being told to search. Even so, you may want to make that whatever key you may be tempted to "delete" does show that it's related somehow to evernote.)

Second, and finally, users ought to be reminded (in steps like those offered below) that when opening regedit and doing a find, they REALLY need to make sure first that they are starting their find at the "top" of the registry. Otherwise, if they happen to have previously opened it and have it pointing at some key "further down" in the registry display, the problem is that when they start their find, it is from that point, down. Regedit's find feature does not "wrap around" to start searching from the "top" when it "reaches the bottom".

(This is also important to note when you move on to searching for the second string offered in GBarry's note above.)

Finally, even "advanced" users (and certainly many others desperate to try anything to solve this Evernote update problem) might not even realize what I mean by "make sure you're starting at the top" of the registry when you search for these keys. The point is that if when you open Regedit, if you don't see the left pane showing the very first entry in the display as "computer" (the top-most item in the outline-based display of registry keys), you need to scroll that left pane up and click on that (or click any item on the left pane and click the home key, which should highlight that very first "computer" item in the outline). THEN when you do a search, it will start from that point, down.

And yes, I really do think that even "advanced users" should be reminded of all this (though I'll understand GBarry not offering my second set of points here, in the interest of getting "the least we might need to know" out ASAP. But I felt it worth taking time to share now, lest some might come back saying "I did what the note said to do, and deleted what I found, but it still didn't work for me", only because they didn't really find and/or delete ALL references to these strings.

---

Once we perhaps get more detail, it may be safer for some of us to proceed with deleting keys. But I really have been hoping (since looking into the first failing 4.6.4 update) that perhaps instead the EN engineers may resolve things in the installer itself, allowing us to forego any such registry tweaks. But if it somehow ends up that this will be necessary, or needed for some who want to move before then, I hope the info above has been helpful, whether to a user, an evangelist, or someone at Evernote. Love the tool and use it daily.

#26 jefito

jefito

• 10,756 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

In his note above, evangelist GBarry offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

You should note that Geoff is an actual Evernote employee, and not a lowly evangelist, who are all just Evernote users (and moderators). I'll leave it for the Evernote folks to evaluate what you've posted about the registry here.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#27 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,801 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

In his note above, evangelist GBarry offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

I'd like to offer some feedback and also some more info with respect to that. Geoff wrote (or may have gathered from elsewhere):

That's yeoman's work right there, and I appreciate both the feedback and the time you took to flesh out a descriptive response and great support for other users, in addition to your warnings--when suggesting things like regedits we should be more oblique with our warnings, you are exactly right. Admittedly I am pulling in information from various sources, and this came from our Windows techs--as I compile what is a single thread of reference for users running into the error. I'm going to have one of our Windows techs drop in here and give a more considered response if needed.  Thank you for the response though--I'll update my post above with a link to your post.

For a more detailed explanation of *why* we're suggesting the workaround (with some additional steps), see this note from our technical support director here, which I've also quoted below: http://discussion.ev...perly/?p=118027

When we are installing our software, We check for GUIDS in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Uninstall key as well as an upgrade key
in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes

Sometimes the keys can become "stuck" and we're unable to remove them, so they need to be removed manually for our install to proceed. You can do this yourself if you're familiar with the Windows registry.

Please find the installer log by following these steps:

1. Open Run dialog (Win + R)
2. In the dialog edit box type:

%TEMP%

and click OK. This should open up a folder in Windows Explorer

3. In the folder locate the file called EvernoteSetup.log

Search the Installer log for the following line:

Located product {something} with upgrade code {something}.

What you want is the first 8 characters of the Upgrade code, reversed. For example, if it is AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99, you will need to search your Windows Registry for E190C2EA.

Open regedt32 from an elevated command prompt and search for:

E190C2EA

You should find 2 keys in registry in HKCR\Installer\UpgradeCodes and HKLU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

Export them and then delete them. Reboot your computer, then restart the Evernote installation again.

#28 carehart

carehart

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Ah, my bad. I was viewing other notes in the threads from others who were marked as Evangelists. I'd missed that he was an employee. Either way, I appreciate the efforts of both, and I see that he later replied to my note. Thanks.

You should note that Geoff is an actual Evernote employee, and not a lowly evangelist, who are all just Evernote users (and moderators). I'll leave it for the Evernote folks to evaluate what you've posted about the registry here.

#29 Larkspur

Larkspur

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I can't believe Evernote allowed something like this to get through. I've encountered this error on both my home and workstation Windows 64-bit computers. Control panel can't uninstall Evernote. How many thousands of people are having just the same issue?

• Hmm likes this

#30 Automatica

Automatica

• 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Editing the registry to resolve these kinds of issues should always be a last resort.  It has been noted that this specific issue applies to users running 64 bit Windows with 64 bit Outlook installed.

To clarify on the previous registry editing instructions, there are a specific set of registry keys that are frequently left behind that can be deleted in order to resolve the installer code error.  Specifically, the codes are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes \Installer\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

There are other keys left behind by the normal uninstall process, but it gets a bit too complicated to advise on which ones to remove.  Again, this is a last resort method.  Deleting these keys does resolve the issue for a lot of users with the issue, but it isn't a guaranteed fix for all machines.

#31 Larkspur

Larkspur

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Could we please write a KB article on this topic? In Evernote, if I go to "Help > Technical Support" and type "Error 2732", no help is offered.

Attached File  error_2732.PNG   4.23KB   3 downloads

#32 VideoSavant

VideoSavant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

This is really pathetic. I have tried a half dozen of the suggested fixes, with no luck.

I love Evernote, but the way this issue is being handled is unacceptable. It appears that whatever is causing this problem is also preventing me from accessing my notes in Ever2One converter. Convenient, no?

#33 jefito

jefito

• 10,756 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

This is really pathetic. I have tried a half dozen of the suggested fixes, with no luck.

I love Evernote, but the way this issue is being handled is unacceptable. It appears that whatever is causing this problem is also preventing me from accessing my notes in Ever2One converter. Convenient, no?

Have you opened a support request yet? 

~Jeff

#34 Hmm

Hmm

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Umm. Why do I need to tinker with a workaround when the solution should be behind the scenes within the installer ie. next Evernote for Windows update? 

I'll continue to use an older version of Evernote and gradually copy and paste my Notes to another app. I shall be encouraging others including blog writers et al to do the same. 

Evernote support is hideous, to say the least and there should be serious consequences for them as a result. 

#35 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

The recent Windows and Mac Evernote beta issues remind me of the finale for "War Games":

The problem is occurring in the publicly released Windows version (4.6.4), not the beta version, at least the ones I've been tracking, and appear to be installer-related only. I saw this problem only when upgrading to 4.6.4; fortunately I had an easier time resolving it than some folks. The Mac issues are a different ball of wax, relating to a largish UI redesign and its release on an unsuspecting public.

>>>>>>>>>"The only winning move is not to play."

Uh, War Games was a pretty silly movie, with respect to computer issues. I mean, the ultimate scene had the computer guessing a password one character at a time. It was a cute movie to that point, if you weren't particularly up on computer issues, but really...

Not a beta? Then it's even worse.

This is just another passive-aggressive Evangelist response to shoot the messenger by ridiculing their suggestion. Some of us might not be up on the latest computer issues, but really... that does not solve the problem.

With the ongoing problems associated with the Evernote upgrade; and the multiple different workarounds include:

• filing support requests,
  • 3rd party correction software (Revo), and/or
  • user-hacking into the registry (no thank you),

I'll stand by my initial suggestion not to play the game and wait a month+ until the forum complaints on this public-release upgrade mess cools down.

#36 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Umm. Why do I need to tinker with a workaround when the solution should be behind the scenes within the installer ie. next Evernote for Windows update? 

I'll continue to use an older version of Evernote and gradually copy and paste my Notes to another app. I shall be encouraging others including blog writers et al to do the same. 

Evernote support is hideous, to say the least and there should be serious consequences for them as a result. 

Can you please post your ticket number so I can determine where you have had issues with our support team? We do address all issues with our agents so we can correct them.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#37 jefito

jefito

• 10,756 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

This is just another passive-aggressive Evangelist response to shoot the messenger by ridiculing their suggestion. Some of us might not be up on the latest computer issues, but really... that does not solve the problem.

Not in quite the same way as quoting Hollywood wisdom solves the problem, eh? JB, you used to be a helpful forum member, then you flamed out and vowed never to post here again. Well, OK, that happens, but I was sorry to see that; however, at this point, having decided to return again (also your prerogative), you seem to only be motivated to post here in order to toss dour darts at Evernote. If that's your idea of problem solving behavior, well, I don't get it. On the other hand, if you decide to return to being the helpful forum member that I recall, then I'd welcome that. Is that direct enough for you?

~Jeff

#38 thibaultg

thibaultg

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

THIS IS BULLSHIT !

I face exactly to the same problem for three weeks ago... but I won't explain it like this.

I'd prefer to hope for a "magic" solution by Evernote team.

- I cannot uninstall Evernote and cannot upgrade with the downloaded executable.

- I waited a few days because I believed it was just your MSI package that was bad... However, my problem persists.

I have three computers and I get the same problem on each.

I opened a ticket today... We will see what "premium support" will tell me.

Attached Files

#39 J oe

J oe

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Well, I had the same problem on my Win7 64bit machine. No chance to update. However, today I started evernote.msi in C:\Users\joe\AppData\Local\Temp and the installation worked witthout any problem. I am very curious to the next auto-update.

#40 layonl

layonl

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

I already responded to another topic, but few people willl be patient enough to go to page 3...

For everybody having the following problem

Error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.
Or .\Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643 Fatal error during installation.

I could not even uninstall !

Here is the fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

I sum up my steps, I did Fix 1 and Fix 2 but maybe only one is necessary.

Fix 1

-Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote

-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Reinstall

Fix 2

-Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

-Execute the last version. (it will probably fail again)

-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Install only for this user C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

For the Evernote team

Your problem comes from the Unregisterx64OLAddin action.... I have no reason why.

regsvr32.exe /s /u "[APPLICATIONFOLDER]EvernoteOL.dll"

I am not sure why... but my logs show than when I execute .msi directly, then it execute Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin instead, it worked. (my UAC in disabled)

When executing en .exe, the Unregisterx64OLAddin was running and crashed. So I'm not able to tell you if the fix was me running the command regsvr manually OR running .msi directly.

I guess than running MSI manually worked with because I selected "Only this user" made the condition :  Installed AND (OUTLOOK_BITNESS ~= "x64") AND ALLUSERS AND AdminUser AND (NOT ((VersionNT = 501) AND (VersionNT64))) false so Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin runs instead.

Excuse me but I got 2 questions:

1/

-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

How to execute that command ?  do you talk about windows console ( cmd) ? 

2/ Why do I pay for a service that don't work ?

This is very frustrating from a customer point of view ....

Ok Now I'm stucked can't uninstall and can't install

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote, Windows

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Clip to Evernote