Windows Error Code 2732 workarounds

Nicolas Dorier

I already responded to another topic, but few people willl be patient enough to go to page 3...

For everybody having the following problem

Error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.
Or .\Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643 Fatal error during installation.

I could not even uninstall !

Here is the Ultimate Fix

-Go to 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi' and execute it

Here are other things I tried, but I'm not sure about the results.

Here is alternate fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

Fix 1 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote

-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Reinstall

Fix 2 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

-Execute the last version. (it will probably fail again)

-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Install only for this user C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

For the Evernote team

Your problem comes from the Unregisterx64OLAddin action.... I have no reason why.

regsvr32.exe /s /u "[APPLICATIONFOLDER]EvernoteOL.dll"

I am not sure why... but my logs show than when I execute .msi directly, then it execute Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin instead, it worked. (my UAC in disabled)

When executing en .exe, the Unregisterx64OLAddin was running and crashed. So I'm not able to tell you if the fix was me running the command regsvr manually OR running .msi directly.

I guess than running MSI manually worked with because I selected "Only this user" made the condition :  Installed AND (OUTLOOK_BITNESS ~= "x64") AND ALLUSERS AND AdminUser AND (NOT ((VersionNT = 501) AND (VersionNT64))) false so Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin runs instead.

Hi all--there's a lot of information floating around on the workarounds that are available to users who are running into the 2732 error code--I've compiled three (and an additional regedit option) here.

Note version here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s16/sh/9a4431fd-9eea-4730-8a5d-df4489e507ab/8fee12b82a53133b63fc482cd230c987

For users running into Error 2732 on Windows, we've had success doing a simple uninstall/reinstall, as well using REVO to uninstall 4.6.3 and then install 4.6.4.  In the limited number of cases where these two processes don't work, a reinstallation of 4.6.1, uninstall, then installation of 4.6.4 should do the trick.  If you're a completionist, combine the second and third processes (using REVO to uninstall 4.6.3).  I've included all three processes below.

Simple Uninstall/Reinstallation

• Back up your data (basic uninstalls shouldn't require a full back up, but be sure to backup any local or unsynced notebooks by right clicking the notebook and choosing "Export Notes". This will prompt you for the directory where you'd like to keep the resulting .enex file)
  • Uninstall Evernote (through the control panel)
  • Reinstall Version 4.6.4

REVO Uninstall

• Back up your data (In the Evernote client, open Tools / Options / Open Database folder. If you click on open database folder, it will open up a folder.  Find the .exb file that's named with your username, and make a copy of this.)
  • Download the free version of REVO uninstaller here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
  • Uninstall Evernote with Revo Uninstaller (make sure you're on Advanced Mode in REVO) (if error pops up, ignore and you can still proceed with uninstall)
  • If your data was fully removed with REVO, rebuild/remimport your data by taking the same .exb file (your backup) and placing that file back into the database folder after you are done reinstalling.

Reinstallation of 4.6.1 (in rare cases where either of the above do not work)

• Back up your data (basic uninstalls shouldn't require a full back up, but be sure to
    backup any local or unsynced notebooks by right clicking the notebook and choosing "Export Notes". This will prompt you for the directory where you'd like to keep the resulting .enex file)
  • Uninstall 4.6.4
  • Install version 4.6.1 from here
  • Uninstall version 4.6.1
  • Your data should still be available, but if not: rebuild/remimport your data by taking the same .exb file (your backup) and placing that file back into the database folder after you are done reinstalling.

Advanced Users/regedit option:
(We mean advanced.  For a detailed description and warning of what all is involved with regedits on Windows, see carehart's response below. For why we suggest this as a workaround in addition to a bit more detailed steps, see my post here.
)

1. Open regedit (windows key + r, type regedit) and search (control + f) for the following:

4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E

E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

If you locate any of these, delete them and reboot, then install 4.6.4.

------------------------

The specific error code is related to 4.6.3/64bit, so working through a combination of these steps should ensure that you're able to get past the error when updating to 4.6.4.

• Level 5

I've found the best 2-step solution for my Evernote use is to play it safe and:

1.) Steer clear of any Evernote beta.

2.) Only download an Evernote public release after closely reading the forum for at least 2-3 weeks (after the actual release). If there are no major issues, I will bite the bullet and install.

I had the error code mentioned above and after trying to use the simple uninstall option and the revo option to uninstall as much of Evernote as i could i  still had problems trying to install Evernote.  i then thought i would try  Revo-Uninstaller-Pro (30 day trial) to see if it could find any hidden files that the free revo couldn't.  i discovered this has an installer option and i installed evernote 4.6.4 using this and it installed perfectly, no more error codes.

i would echo the above user gbarry about backing up your local notes.

WIndows 8 user

@gbarry: Did uninstall Evernote with Revo. Cleaned everything that had been found.

Now new installation of any version (4.6.4 or 4.6.1) does not work with the following error message (my transcript of the German error message):

"Evernote has already been installed by another user. It is only possible to one installation per user.

After uninstalling this installation (per user), an administrator will be able to install Evernote for all users."

Any idea how I can get my evernote (any 4.6 version) back on my PC?

I shall also file a support ticket.

I did the Revo uninstall step with advanced scan and let Revo remove every undeleted Evernote registry keys and files.

After that i installed version 4.6.4 and started Evernote.

Now Evernote is resyncing my whole library with 8,000 notes, which seems to take ages.

NOT FUNNY!!! :(

I merged both fix threads together as it seems that everyone seems to be fixed with some combination of these. We're working on a single procedure that will work for everyone so we can update our EvernoteVersions.exe uninstaller routine.

The Windows registry is a tricky, tricky thing.

• Level 5

I've found the best 2-step solution for my Evernote use is to play it safe and:

1.) Steer clear of any Evernote beta.

2.) Only download an Evernote public release after closely reading the forum for at least 2-3 weeks (after the actual release). If there are no major issues, I will bite the bullet and install.

The recent Windows and Mac Evernote beta issues remind me of the finale for "War Games":

"The only winning move is not to play."

"How about a nice game of chess?"

• Level 5*

The recent Windows and Mac Evernote beta issues remind me of the finale for "War Games":

The problem is occurring in the publicly released Windows version (4.6.4), not the beta version, at least the ones I've been tracking, and appear to be installer-related only. I saw this problem only when upgrading to 4.6.4; fortunately I had an easier time resolving it than some folks. The Mac issues are a different ball of wax, relating to a largish UI redesign and its release on an unsuspecting public.

"The only winning move is not to play."

Uh, War Games was a pretty silly movie, with respect to computer issues. I mean, the ultimate scene had the computer guessing a password one character at a time. It was a cute movie to that point, if you weren't particularly up on computer issues, but really...

Hi Plato and welcome to the forum,

If you type 2732 in the search bar you will find lots of information and help about this error. No point in re - typing here.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Plato and welcome to the forum,

If you type 2732 in the search bar you will find lots of information and help about this error. No point in re - typing here.

Best regards

Chris

It surely doesn't make any sense to me that someone would post about a problem without first trying to see if there is a resolution.

Hi all--there's a lot of information floating around on the workarounds that are available to users who are running into the 2732 error code--I've compiled three here.

Note version here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s16/sh/9a4431fd-9eea-4730-8a5d-df4489e507ab/8fee12b82a53133b63fc482cd230c987

For users running into Error 2732 on Windows, we've had success doing a simple uninstall/reinstall, as well using REVO to uninstall 4.6.3 and then install 4.6.4.  In the limited number of cases where these two processes don't work, a reinstallation of 4.6.1, uninstall, then installation of 4.6.4 should do the trick.  If you're a completionist, combine the second and third processes (using REVO to uninstall 4.6.4).  I've included all three processes below.

Simple Uninstall/Reinstallation

1. Back up your data (right-clicking "All Notebooks" and choose "Export Notes". This will prompt you for the directory where you'd like to keep the resulting .enex file)
  2. Uninstall Evernote (through the control panel)
  3. Reinstall Version 4.6.4

REVO Uninstall

1. Back up your data
  2. Download the free version of REVO uninstaller here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
  3. Uninstall Evernote with Revo Uninstaller (make sure you're on Advanced Mode in REVO) (if error pops up, ignore and you can still proceed with uninstall)
  4. Reinstall Version 4.6.4

Reinstallation of 4.6.1 (in rare cases where either of the above do not work)

1. Back up your data
  2. Uninstall 4.6.4
  3. Install version 4.6.1 from here
  4. Uninstall version 4.6.1
  5. Reinstall Version 4.6.4

The specific error code is related to 4.6.3/64bit, so working through these steps should ensure that you're able to get past the error when updating to 4.6.4.

Geoff, unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see that you mention importing anything from the backup.  Seems the backup is a CYA tactic?  I guess my concern about this post (since it's an "official" EN post, is that no mention is made of local/non-sync'd notebooks and/or unsync'd notes.  IOW, in looking at these instructions, what is the expected next move in order to get one's data back?   Typically, a "good/full" uninstall would delete the live files & folders used by the app & I recall Revo does this.  (Unlike the Windows add/remove program which often will leave files & folders on the computer.)  So is the expected move after a good un/re-install to download the database from the EN servers or to restore from the backup?  If the expected next move is to download notes from the EN servers, then any unsync'd notes or local notebooks will be missing.  If the next expected step is restoring from a backup, I'd think copying the exb file would be the preferred method (since it preserves notebook information as well as retains local notebooks & unsync'd notes) vs importing from an enex file. 

Geoff, unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see that you mention importing anything from the backup.  Seems the backup is a CYA tactic?  I guess my concern about this post (since it's an "official" EN post, is that no mention is made of local/non-sync'd notebooks and/or unsync'd notes.  IOW, in looking at these instructions, what is the expected next move in order to get one's data back?   Typically, a "good/full" uninstall would delete the live files & folders used by the app & I recall Revo does this.  (Unlike the Windows add/remove program which often will leave files & folders on the computer.)  So is the expected move after a good un/re-install to download the database from the EN servers or to restore from the backup?  If the expected next move is to download notes from the EN servers, then any unsync'd notes or local notebooks will be missing.  If the next expected step is restoring from a backup, I'd think copying the exb file would be the preferred method (since it preserves notebook information as well as retains local notebooks & unsync'd notes) vs importing from an enex file.

You're exactly right. I'm going to adjust the above to include reinstalling from local exb backup, for all the reasons you state above, as well as the fact that it's just faster if you've got a large database.
  • Level 5*

THIS IS BULLSHIT !

FIX YOUR SOFTWARE, DON'T BLAME IT ON WINDOWS REGISTRY !!!

Please settle down and post a reference to where anyone in Evernote is blaming the registry. It may be fixable by editing the registry, but that's not the same as blaming the registry. In the mean time, they are fixing the software, but due to the unfortunate fact that the bug exists in released software that's out in the field, they need to post workarounds that fix the possible scenarios.

In his note above, GBarry (I inadvertantly referred to him as an Evangelist, but he is an EN employee) offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

I'd like to offer some feedback and also some more info with respect to that. Geoff wrote (or may have gathered from elsewhere):

------------------------

Advanced Users/regedit option:

1. Open regedit (windows key + r, type regedit) and search (control + f) for the following:

4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E

E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

If you locate any of these, delete them and reboot, then install 4.6.4.

------------------------

I appreciate that as an Evernote employee Geoff's simply trying to help and does of course indicate that this is a step for "advanced users". Still, I do fear that even those comfortable with using regedit could use even just a little more info to be sure to "delete" the right thing and also to make sure they "find" all they really need to.

I share here two broad sets of observations: first about the keys/values I've found searching for these strings (and questions about what all to really delete) and second some suggestions to help others who may try to do that find within regedit. It's easy to miss a couple of key points and not find what you need to. Yes, this is a long note, but when dealing with registry tweaks, it's really best to err on the side of caution and careful detail, I think. :-)

(Indeed, any suggestion to modify the registry must come with great caution to be very careful. A wrong move can prevent some unexpected problem whether with one or more apps or even your whole machine. Even "advanced users" should be careful to seriously consider doing a backup, either of their entire computer or of at least the registry itself before making any changes where they are not confident in what they are doing. I can understand GBarry not thinking this needed to be repeated, in the interest of getting the ideas out ASAP. But as long as I'm writing, I'll say it in case it may help even one person who might not have considered it.)

1) What should we REALLY be deleting? data, values, or entire keys? And in all cases? I think not...

First of all, we're told the string to look for, and you say "If you locate any of these, delete them", but by "them", do you mean we should delete only the one value (if it's one of many within a key)? or the entire key (if it contains a value holding this string and others)?

That's not as obvious as it may seem, as I hope to show. Without being told, folks could read this any way they want, and you could get different people declaring success or failure who may not have done really the "same thing". (And some might make a wrong move with potentially severe consequences, thus the warning about backing up above.)

1a) For instance, in searching across all keys, values, and data for the first string offered, "4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E", I found the following:

The key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4\

with the value=data pair:

ProductIcon=c:\Windows\Installer\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}\Evernote.ico

There were 11 other values within that key. So should we delete the whole key (and all 12 values) or just the one value holding this string you mention? I'd assume the former, but your note here doesn't say. (Fortunately, it does at least refer to Evernote in the data so it seems safe to assume this is indeed a key of interest.)

I also found the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4

with the same value/data as above:

ProductIcon=c:\Windows\Installer\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}\Evernote.ico

and seemingly the same 11 other values as the one above.

Then I found the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

and the value/data:

c:\Windows\Installer\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}\ (this was a reg_sz value with no data assigned to it)

But here's a big difference: note that this value is one of hundreds of others within that key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders), and they refer to folders for all the windows installers, so it seems that people should be warned NOT to delete the entire key. Instead (I assume you would mean) they should delete (if anything) just that one value. But people really need to be told, lest they misinterpret the "delete them" suggestion.

Again, I realize this was written for for "advanced users". Even so, noting that just these 3 sets of keys/values above are quite different, it's just doesn't seem enough to say only "delete them".  Just trying to help, not criticize.

Continuing the search (as much to document things for interested readers), the next key I found with that first string was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4\InstallProperties

with value/data of:

ModifyPath=MsiExec.exe /X{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

and about 25 other values. This seems perhaps one of real interest, since it's all about install properties (along with the next, about uninstall properties). But since you say to delete all references, I wouldn't mean to be suggesting that folks should delete only this or the next one.

The next key having that string is one of its value/data fields is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

also with

ModifyPath=MsiExec.exe /X{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

and

UninstallString=MsiExec.exe /X{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

and about 25 other keys.

1b) That's just the locations for the first string GBarry offered. As for the second string (E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899), I found just the following three keys with that string in their key name:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

And all three having just one empty value. If perhaps these were what really needed to be removed, that might be nice, as they are the simplest to contemplate (having only that one value with no data), and clearly being related to installer "upgrade codes", whatever that may mean.

Hope all that's helpful to someone else who may have been wondering what we might find in searching for these strings. (I'd like to wait for any more info, if it might be offered, before trying to delete any of these myself.)

2) People using Regedit Find should beware a couple of things

I also want to share a couple of tips related to using the Regedit find as suggested here. Again, I do realize GBarry was sharing the suggested strings to search for as for "advanced users", but even those folks could miss something to their detriment (and to those here trying to understand what's happening as people "try this" as a solution.)

First, and along the lines of my asking whether you mean that we should be looking for a key (things in the left pane) or value/data (things on the right pane), note that the regedit find dialogue offers an option for you to choose one or all three of those things to search: keys (things in the left pane) or values or data (things in the right pane). And note that if you had previously opened Regedit to do some other find, whether days or years ago, you may find different checkboxes set from that previous search you did. Until we get an answer to my first question above, it seems safest to check all three options (to find "anything" holding that string.

(The "match whole string" option may be helpful but does not seem necessary since these are pretty unique strings we're being told to search. Even so, you may want to make that whatever key you may be tempted to "delete" does show that it's related somehow to evernote.)

Second, and finally, users ought to be reminded (in steps like those offered below) that when opening regedit and doing a find, they REALLY need to make sure first that they are starting their find at the "top" of the registry. Otherwise, if they happen to have previously opened it and have it pointing at some key "further down" in the registry display, the problem is that when they start their find, it is from that point, down. Regedit's find feature does not "wrap around" to start searching from the "top" when it "reaches the bottom".

(This is also important to note when you move on to searching for the second string offered in GBarry's note above.)

Finally, even "advanced" users (and certainly many others desperate to try anything to solve this Evernote update problem) might not even realize what I mean by "make sure you're starting at the top" of the registry when you search for these keys. The point is that if when you open Regedit, if you don't see the left pane showing the very first entry in the display as "computer" (the top-most item in the outline-based display of registry keys), you need to scroll that left pane up and click on that (or click any item on the left pane and click the home key, which should highlight that very first "computer" item in the outline). THEN when you do a search, it will start from that point, down.

And yes, I really do think that even "advanced users" should be reminded of all this (though I'll understand GBarry not offering my second set of points here, in the interest of getting "the least we might need to know" out ASAP. But I felt it worth taking time to share now, lest some might come back saying "I did what the note said to do, and deleted what I found, but it still didn't work for me", only because they didn't really find and/or delete ALL references to these strings.

---

Once we perhaps get more detail, it may be safer for some of us to proceed with deleting keys. But I really have been hoping (since looking into the first failing 4.6.4 update) that perhaps instead the EN engineers may resolve things in the installer itself, allowing us to forego any such registry tweaks. But if it somehow ends up that this will be necessary, or needed for some who want to move before then, I hope the info above has been helpful, whether to a user, an evangelist, or someone at Evernote. Love the tool and use it daily.

• Level 5*

In his note above, evangelist GBarry offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

You should note that Geoff is an actual Evernote employee, and not a lowly evangelist, who are all just Evernote users (and moderators). I'll leave it for the Evernote folks to evaluate what you've posted about the registry here.

In his note above, evangelist GBarry offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

I'd like to offer some feedback and also some more info with respect to that. Geoff wrote (or may have gathered from elsewhere):

That's yeoman's work right there, and I appreciate both the feedback and the time you took to flesh out a descriptive response and great support for other users, in addition to your warnings--when suggesting things like regedits we should be more oblique with our warnings, you are exactly right. Admittedly I am pulling in information from various sources, and this came from our Windows techs--as I compile what is a single thread of reference for users running into the error. I'm going to have one of our Windows techs drop in here and give a more considered response if needed.  Thank you for the response though--I'll update my post above with a link to your post.

For a more detailed explanation of *why* we're suggesting the workaround (with some additional steps), see this note from our technical support director here, which I've also quoted below: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-✔-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/?p=118027

When we are installing our software, We check for GUIDS in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Uninstall key as well as an upgrade key

in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes

Sometimes the keys can become "stuck" and we're unable to remove them, so they need to be removed manually for our install to proceed. You can do this yourself if you're familiar with the Windows registry.

Please find the installer log by following these steps:

1. Open Run dialog (Win + R)

2. In the dialog edit box type:

%TEMP%

and click OK. This should open up a folder in Windows Explorer

3. In the folder locate the file called EvernoteSetup.log

Search the Installer log for the following line:

Located product {something} with upgrade code {something}.

What you want is the first 8 characters of the Upgrade code, reversed. For example, if it is AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99, you will need to search your Windows Registry for E190C2EA.

Open regedt32 from an elevated command prompt and search for:

E190C2EA

You should find 2 keys in registry in HKCR\Installer\UpgradeCodes and HKLU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

Export them and then delete them. Reboot your computer, then restart the Evernote installation again.

Ah, my bad. I was viewing other notes in the threads from others who were marked as Evangelists. I'd missed that he was an employee. Either way, I appreciate the efforts of both, and I see that he later replied to my note. Thanks.

You should note that Geoff is an actual Evernote employee, and not a lowly evangelist, who are all just Evernote users (and moderators). I'll leave it for the Evernote folks to evaluate what you've posted about the registry here.

I can't believe Evernote allowed something like this to get through. I've encountered this error on both my home and workstation Windows 64-bit computers. Control panel can't uninstall Evernote. How many thousands of people are having just the same issue?

Editing the registry to resolve these kinds of issues should always be a last resort.  It has been noted that this specific issue applies to users running 64 bit Windows with 64 bit Outlook installed.

To clarify on the previous registry editing instructions, there are a specific set of registry keys that are frequently left behind that can be deleted in order to resolve the installer code error.  Specifically, the codes are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes \Installer\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

There are other keys left behind by the normal uninstall process, but it gets a bit too complicated to advise on which ones to remove.  Again, this is a last resort method.  Deleting these keys does resolve the issue for a lot of users with the issue, but it isn't a guaranteed fix for all machines.

This is really pathetic. I have tried a half dozen of the suggested fixes, with no luck.

I love Evernote, but the way this issue is being handled is unacceptable. It appears that whatever is causing this problem is also preventing me from accessing my notes in Ever2One converter. Convenient, no?

• Level 5*

This is really pathetic. I have tried a half dozen of the suggested fixes, with no luck.

I love Evernote, but the way this issue is being handled is unacceptable. It appears that whatever is causing this problem is also preventing me from accessing my notes in Ever2One converter. Convenient, no?

Have you opened a support request yet? 

Umm. Why do I need to tinker with a workaround when the solution should be behind the scenes within the installer ie. next Evernote for Windows update? 

I'll continue to use an older version of Evernote and gradually copy and paste my Notes to another app. I shall be encouraging others including blog writers et al to do the same. 

Evernote support is hideous, to say the least and there should be serious consequences for them as a result. 

• Level 5

The problem is occurring in the publicly released Windows version (4.6.4), not the beta version, at least the ones I've been tracking, and appear to be installer-related only. I saw this problem only when upgrading to 4.6.4; fortunately I had an easier time resolving it than some folks. The Mac issues are a different ball of wax, relating to a largish UI redesign and its release on an unsuspecting public.

>>>>>>>>>"The only winning move is not to play."

Uh, War Games was a pretty silly movie, with respect to computer issues. I mean, the ultimate scene had the computer guessing a password one character at a time. It was a cute movie to that point, if you weren't particularly up on computer issues, but really...

Not a beta? Then it's even worse.

This is just another passive-aggressive Evangelist response to shoot the messenger by ridiculing their suggestion. Some of us might not be up on the latest computer issues, but really... that does not solve the problem.

With the ongoing problems associated with the Evernote upgrade; and the multiple different workarounds include:

• filing support requests,
  • 3rd party correction software (Revo), and/or
  • user-hacking into the registry (no thank you),

I'll stand by my initial suggestion not to play the game and wait a month+ until the forum complaints on this public-release upgrade mess cools down.

Umm. Why do I need to tinker with a workaround when the solution should be behind the scenes within the installer ie. next Evernote for Windows update? 

I'll continue to use an older version of Evernote and gradually copy and paste my Notes to another app. I shall be encouraging others including blog writers et al to do the same. 

Evernote support is hideous, to say the least and there should be serious consequences for them as a result. 

Can you please post your ticket number so I can determine where you have had issues with our support team? We do address all issues with our agents so we can correct them.

• Level 5*

This is just another passive-aggressive Evangelist response to shoot the messenger by ridiculing their suggestion. Some of us might not be up on the latest computer issues, but really... that does not solve the problem.

Not in quite the same way as quoting Hollywood wisdom solves the problem, eh? JB, you used to be a helpful forum member, then you flamed out and vowed never to post here again. Well, OK, that happens, but I was sorry to see that; however, at this point, having decided to return again (also your prerogative), you seem to only be motivated to post here in order to toss dour darts at Evernote. If that's your idea of problem solving behavior, well, I don't get it. On the other hand, if you decide to return to being the helpful forum member that I recall, then I'd welcome that. Is that direct enough for you?

THIS IS BULLSHIT !

FIX YOUR SOFTWARE, DON'T BLAME IT ON WINDOWS REGISTRY !!!

I face exactly to the same problem for three weeks ago... but I won't explain it like this.

I'd prefer to hope for a "magic" solution by Evernote team.

- I cannot uninstall Evernote and cannot upgrade with the downloaded executable.

- I waited a few days because I believed it was just your MSI package that was bad... However, my problem persists.

I have three computers and I get the same problem on each.

I opened a ticket today... We will see what "premium support" will tell me.

post-85065-0-43590700-1364820122_thumb.p

Well, I had the same problem on my Win7 64bit machine. No chance to update. However, today I started evernote.msi in C:\Users\joe\AppData\Local\Temp and the installation worked witthout any problem. I am very curious to the next auto-update.

I already responded to another topic, but few people willl be patient enough to go to page 3...

Here is the fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

I sum up my steps, I did Fix 1 and Fix 2 but maybe only one is necessary.

Fix 1

-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Reinstall

Fix 2

-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

For the Evernote team

Your problem comes from the Unregisterx64OLAddin action.... I have no reason why.

I am not sure why... but my logs show than when I execute .msi directly, then it execute Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin instead, it worked. (my UAC in disabled)

When executing en .exe, the Unregisterx64OLAddin was running and crashed. So I'm not able to tell you if the fix was me running the command regsvr manually OR running .msi directly.

I guess than running MSI manually worked with because I selected "Only this user" made the condition :  Installed AND (OUTLOOK_BITNESS ~= "x64") AND ALLUSERS AND AdminUser AND (NOT ((VersionNT = 501) AND (VersionNT64))) false so Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin runs instead.

Excuse me but I got 2 questions:

1/

How to execute that command ?  do you talk about windows console ( cmd) ? 

2/ Why do I pay for a service that don't work ?

This is very frustrating from a customer point of view ....

Ok Now I'm stucked can't uninstall and can't install

I don't understand why installing a third party app or messing in the registry are the only solutions for users who cannot uninstall Evernote. Both of these seem to be a major risk to users. Perhaps I should also have completed a full Windows backup before installing a third party app that I have never heard of nor trust?

I fully agree with the previous comments. I opened a ticket in Evernote support... For the moment, the problem has not been solved.

I paid Evernote since the first versions and I'm really surprised that the answer of this problem is to install new software to be able to uninstall Evernote, alter/modify registry etc. Why not format C:\ ?

Obviously, I would prefer a new MSI that JUST works...

For the moment, I continue with the support... Last try, create a log file for the support. We will see...

• Level 5

To VideoSavant, Hmmm, J oe, layonl, Larkspur, thibaultg, et. al.
Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry if this bothers some evangelists.

The installation problems continue with version 4.6.3 and 4.6.2

I am sticking with version 4.6.2.7927 (268435) Public which I installed back on Feb 2.

Until I see a viable solution to the 64 bit Windows problem (confirmed by Evernote Employee Automatica) on some future release, my own 64 bit Windows version 4.6.2 is the version I am staying with.

A word of advice to other users, be very cautious with Evernote upgrades. Let someone else find the problem; work through various diagnoses; and multiple fixes.

Dragging your feet on upgrades, along with keeping multiple backups are good options to take if you want to protect your Evernote personal data.

@jbenson2 issues are plaguing not only the desktop app but android apps as well. I know in the past, I had to run a much older version of Evernote (saved as a backup) to be able to use it on my Android device. Granted, I kinda expect more instability with Android due to the many variances of devices out there. However, I do NOt expect such poor programming for a widely used desktop platform like Win 7x64. 

i am pretty confident that if Evernote's inadequacies manifest themselves on iOS, Apple will quickly lean on them to provide a fix. Obviously, that's not the case on a Windows machine. 

As stated before, time to find other alternatives to Evernote. Eventually, Evernote developers will need to be able to produce a better product or they will be replaced by some other app that will take it's place. Me thinks this may be something Google is working on as we speak. 

Evernote: This issue and the lack of communication from you on it have been extremely weak on your part. I've been an Evernote user for two weeks, during which there has been a constant stream of installation error messages on my computer. Your note software is great, but it's just barely worth the hassle if I need to dig through forums, mess with registry keys, etc..

Software updates should be invisible to users. Please see how Google Chrome and Spotify update themselves - at high frequency, without notifying you, and for the love of god, without making the user dig through forums to manually modify registry keys!

I read the post about going to temp files - found the Evernote.msi installer - double clicked it and it worked flawlessly - have had this problem for weeks and this was such an easy fix! So here are the steps - Computer - Local Disk (C:) - Users - (your name) - AppData - Local -Temp - Evernote.msi  Windows Installer Package  53,168 KB.  Good luck.

Here is the fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

Fix 1

-Reinstall

Fix 2

For the Evernote team

Whatever, I try it fails.

I tried the command : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

And I get the following error message : "The module "EvernoteOL.dll was loaded but the call DLLUnregisterServer failed with error code..."

See attachment.

Evenote "premium" support seems to be bored by my request and finally did not answering me anymore.

post-85065-0-63165500-1365239792_thumb.p

I don't want to be rude ... but what exactly do I get from 4.6.4 that would justify me spending the time to jump through all of these hoops to try to use Evernote's failed updater? Is there really a compelling reason to not just skip this update and hope that they bother to do more complete testing before they push the next update?

@gbarry: Did uninstall Evernote with Revo. Cleaned everything that had been found.

Now new installation of any version (4.6.4 or 4.6.1) does not work with the following error message (my transcript of the German error message):

"Evernote has already been installed by another user. It is only possible to one installation per user.

After uninstalling this installation (per user), an administrator will be able to install Evernote for all users."

Any idea how I can get my evernote (any 4.6 version) back on my PC?

I shall also file a support ticket.

Same issue here.

I've tried all 3 methods suggested by  gbarry. At 1 and 2 I couldn't uninstall due to an error 2732. 

I've tried using Revo to remove Evernote and now can't install it due to the message: 

What should I do?

Fix 2 (uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller Pro using the advanced option) worked for me as well.  I could not uninstall because a previous workaround (removing registry keys) removed Evernote from the list of installed programs.

Fix 2 (uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller Pro using the advanced option) worked for me as well.  I could not uninstall because a previous workaround (removing registry keys) removed Evernote from the list of installed programs.

I tried Revo Uninstaller Pro (advanced option) several times and it didn't work. Finally I was successful in uninstalling Evernote v4.6.3 by selecting and removing all the Evernote remnants in registry. I've since installed v4.6.4 and downloaded all my notebooks. However, every time when Evernote sync, it displays the following message:

"Syncronization complete

Sync failed due to unexpected problem at server side"

I had some issues with the suggested solutions I was finding...or at least in part.  What worked for me was:

• Use Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall Evernote (I tried the forced uninstall first and pointed to the program files x86\evernote\evernote\evernote.exe and then chose the registry entries).  There were 2 left that didn't work at that point
  • Then I rebooted and tried an install, no go.  
  • Then I went back to Revo and did a regular uninstall, scan for entries (I chose the most detailed one, selected all, deleted, and when I hit finish, it actually removed it from the program list).
  • I tried installing the 4.64.8136 again and still got the 2732 error and I additionally got an error mentioning

Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643

That's when I found this post:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36333-cant-update-to-464-error-2732-boostrappercpp886-0x643/page-11

Which had a person that got it to work through support by installing 4.6.17772 first and then updating through the app.  The download can be found here:

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/win11/prerelease/Evernote_4.6.1.7772.exe

That worked to install that version and once I logged in and I let it sync (by the way I did get that server communication error, but after it had a few minutes it sync'd everything...so depending on the size of all your content that may take longer...I only have text based stuff right now and probably not too much storage size wise).

After it showed everything 100% synced I went to the help menu and check for updates and it found the latest 4.64.  I ran that and it worked.

FYI, I'm on a Windows 7 x64 based laptop.  HTH

Marianne

I've successfully used Revo Uninstaller Pro v3.0.2 to uninstall the rogue Evernote version 4.6.3 on two Win 7 Pro 64-bit notebook PC. The keys are:

1. Start up Revo, use "Forced Unintall", select "Advanced scanning mode".

2. At "Program's exact name:", enter "evernote".

3. Select everything in the registry to delete (see attached jpg).

4. Apply step 1-3 again if Evernote still shows up in Revo.

5. Install the latest version 4.6.4.8136(268644) public.

6. Enter your Username and Password.

7. Re sync again to download all the notebooks from server.

I've tried to add/remove notes and the new Evernote version runs as expected. I hope this could help everyone.

post-83187-0-47356200-1365674682_thumb.j

• Level 5

IanN

Thanks for posting the detailed explanation and graphic on how to get around the rogue Evernote 4.6.3 install problems. I've got a Win 7 64-bit machine so I Evernoted your steps.

I am still running version 4.6.2 (installed early 2013) and will continue to sit on the sidelines until the next update hits the market. After a couple weeks watching for comments about the next release, if there are no similar problems mentioned (requiring 3rd-party uninstall software and Registry hacks), I'll bite the bullet and update the program.

Hi

This may just be me, but I really don't have the time to follow an uninstall, removal, reinstall etc. etc. 

My expectation is that Evernote, having recognised that something has gone horribly wrong here for lots of us, will either provide an update that *does* install, or will confirm that whatever went wrong here will be fixed in the next release so I can ignore this upgrade and go straight to the next one.

If the expectation from Evernote is that I'm going to do a load of work to fix it myself and no future upgrade will ever work if I don't, then I probably need a new product :(

Can someone from Evernote please comment on this.

Regards

Hi

This may just be me, but I really don't have the time to follow an uninstall, removal, reinstall etc. etc. 

My expectation is that Evernote, having recognised that something has gone horribly wrong here for lots of us, will either provide an update that *does* install, or will confirm that whatever went wrong here will be fixed in the next release so I can ignore this upgrade and go straight to the next one.

If the expectation from Evernote is that I'm going to do a load of work to fix it myself and no future upgrade will ever work if I don't, then I probably need a new product :(

Regards

The error isn't in 4.6.4. It's in 4.6.3. Unless you fix it now, you will not be able to update to anything else.

Hi

Regards

>The error isn't in 4.6.4. It's in 4.6.3. Unless you fix it now, you will not be able to update to anything else.

Looks like I'm stuck with this version until I find something else, then.

As an ex software developer, I find it impossible to believe that Evernote can't code their updates in a way that allows them to manage round this problem.

If they can't that's just too bad.

As an ex software developer, I find it impossible to believe that Evernote can't code their updates in a way that allows them to manage round this problem.

I find it odd you feel you can't take the few minutes to uninstall/reinstall but are willing to spend time looking for another app. But whatever floats your boat.

• Level 5*

This appears to be a one-off problem (or set of problems, as there are several related scenarios), as I understand it. If they were able to provide a solution for this particular situation, I'm sure that they would have done it already -- obviously it's a bit of a black eye for them, and they've also spent a lot of effort trying to support folks who have the problem, both here in the forums and in their support group as well (the folks who handle support requests).

Well, I THOUGHT I was done with this. One of the fixes allowed me to install 4.6.4 but then I still was getting bugged by the updater. Odd. So I check and I have both 4.6.4 and 4.6.3 running somehow. I then try to remove the old version and I get the same problem. I then decided to eradicate it manually. I uninstalled 4.6.4. Removed all folders. Wiped 189 registry entries. I then tried to reinstall and now the installer immediately complains that another user already installed Evernote (this is my home PC and I'm the only user and always admin) and that I need to uninstall that before this can continue.

Frustrated I wrote support. Their response? A reply that clearly glossed my e-mail suggesting I go to Control Panel and uninstall. At least READ the e-mails you get in as a support rep. How hard is that to process as being your job?

I now can't get rid of Evernote and yet can't use Evernote and may consider never bothering again.

Sorry about that - our guys have a procedure that they have to follow when people first contact us and it sounds like you're caught in that one. Can you let me know your ticket number and I'll bump it up the flagpole?

I find it odd you feel you can't take the few minutes to uninstall/reinstall but are willing to spend time looking for another app. But whatever floats your boat.

What about those of use that aren't able to uninstall it, I tried using Microsoft's uninstaller, Revo, Revo Pro... nothing. I don't even see evernote in the list to be able to uninstall.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can uninstall Evernote so I can upgrade?

I tried to deal with the problem by using the TEMP solution. It worked in that I no longer get an error message when installing. It hasn't worked in that installing simply leaves me with 4.6.3.

I have W64. I do not have any version of Outlook (though I do have other Office 64 progs).

Given the amount of time that the problem has been extant without a proper, simple solution, the message to me is that Evernote cannot be trusted with important info or anything that needs to be relied on. When my premium contract ends I will not renew, and I will use other solutions for important info.

Given the very minor importance of most updates, I am amazed that they let through an error that can basically bork the whole program.

I tried to deal with the problem by using the TEMP solution. It worked in that I no longer get an error message when installing. It hasn't worked in that installing simply leaves me with 4.6.3.

I have W64. I do not have any version of Outlook (though I do have other Office 64 progs).

Given the amount of time that the problem has been extant without a proper, simple solution, the message to me is that Evernote cannot be trusted with important info or anything that needs to be relied on. When my premium contract ends I will not renew, and I will use other solutions for important info.

Given the very minor importance of most updates, I am amazed that they let through an error that can basically bork the whole program.

As dumb as this question sounds, after you uninstalled, did you download and install from the newer version...??? Installing from a version newer than 4.6.3 should provide you with the newer version of the software.

And as dumb as this answer sounds, installing 4.6.4 in this case leaves you with BOTH versions somehow so the update nags continue unabated.

As I said, I wiped 189 registry entries by hand so that there's NO sign of Evernote and it now cannot be eradicated (some hidden entries apparently).

What about those of use that aren't able to uninstall it, I tried using Microsoft's uninstaller, Revo, Revo Pro... nothing. I don't even see evernote in the list to be able to uninstall.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can uninstall Evernote so I can upgrade?

And (to Burger N Fries): This is exactly why I expect Evernote to provide a fix within their upgrade process: I simply don't have the time to try stuff, potentially have it fail, then I can't use the app at all, or I need to find out more things to do.

Your naive comment that I 'can't take a few minutes' ignores the fact that if it were that easy for everyone, this thread would be dead. It isn't. The installation is screwed up and we need Evernote to fix it because only Evernot'e test labs can determine exactly what's gone wrong and write code which repairs the problem as it installs the new version, whether that be the uninstall of the previous version, or some registry repairs.

It's a completely unacceptable way to treat customers to say "try this....oops that doesn't work - try that.... oops etc. etc...". Fix it  properly. Then give us the fix.

I notice nobody from Evernote replied to my original message :(

Lafite

• Level 5*

A couple of things:

It's a completely unacceptable way to treat customers to say "try this....oops that doesn't work - try that.... oops etc. etc...". Fix it  properly. Then give us the fix.

It appears that there are several possible scenarios causing the problem. It would be great if they could provide a fix for it all, but they evidently cannot, for whatever reason, at least at this time, so there are several possible remedies/workarounds, only one of which might work in your particular case.

I notice nobody from Evernote replied to my original message :(

For one thing, this is mainly a user forum, and you don't always get direct replies from Evernote staff, particularly on weekends. They have been more active in the forums on this particular issue, because it affects a fairly large number of people. They may also feel that what they've posted to date covers your question. Hard to say.

Well, I had the same problem on my Win7 64bit machine. No chance to update. However, today I started evernote.msi in C:\Users\joe\AppData\Local\Temp and the installation worked witthout any problem. I am very curious to the next auto-update.

Joe,

I officially nominate you for a knighthood! (I'm nowhere near England and have zero connections to the monarchy, by the way, but I can start an Internet petition in seconds...)

I've been wrestling with this problem for WEEKS:

• Uninstall failed with 2732 error.
  • CCleaned, then re-ran the installer...2732.
  • Unregistered EvernoteOL.dll, then re-ran the installer...2732.
  • Tried to run the last version I had in AutoUpdate folder, which was 4.6.2. I never downloaded 4.6.3, so the suspicion about the problems being with that installer may not be the case.

I stopped short of attacking the registry entries, so I've been waiting, reading, and Googling...waiting, reading, and Googling...then your answer.

Thank you...thank you...thank you.

• Level 5

Good news - this seems to be helping some people. I like NewtonSylmar's suggestion.

Does Evernote want to publicly weigh in and give their blessings to this approach?

This worked for me too, I now also see Evernote in the Microsoft Programs and features menu, and in Revo.

J oe for Knighthood!

The fix that was mentioned previously on this board worked for me

Fix 2

-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll 

reply #48 from billinmanfinearts did it !

no need for 3rd party software, registry changes or to register DLLs.

after install fails, run "evernote.msi" from Computer - Local Disk (C:) - Users - (your name) - AppData - Local -Temp - Evernote.msi

also got evernote working with office 2013 64bit.

thanks guys!

Before getting too excited about C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Temp/Evernote.msi hack, have you checked your version number?

Installation works OK with this method, and software update from Evernote offers 4.6.4. and seems to install, BUT Help>About shows version number 4.6.3.

I also used the method (C:\Users\<Your User Account>\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi) at it installed fine. I even validated via Help -> About and it reads version 4.6.4.8136.

Thx for the post on this method as it is easy and it works.

Soooo...

After posting about the success of being able to reinstall Evernote, I did experience the inconsistency between the version I was trying to install (4.6.4) and the version being reported in the Help screen (4.6.3). Because I had run CCleaner recently, I no longer had the version of the .msi in my AppData\Local folder, so I was forced to try the registry deletion fix. It not only worked to allow me to actually complete the installation of 4.6.4, but I was able to do an update check and find that 4.6.5 was available for download and installation. I ran through the process without issue. The help screen reported I was currently running 4.6.5, and everything seemed fine. When it first attempted to synchronize after the update, it prompted me to reenter my password. I did so, and everything appears to be as it was.

As a side note, I actually performed this process on my work desktop and my personal laptop. However, my work desktop was the only machine experiencing the problem upgrading to 4.6.4. I remembered when I heard Evernote had the security breach, I didn't wait to be prompted to change my password. I changed it immediately, but only on the laptop. I don't know how much time had passed between my changing my password via the laptop and the next time I accessed Evernote on my work desktop, but I do remember receiving the update to 4.6.4 dialog on my work desktop shortly after starting Evernote for the first time since  changing my password.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is possible that I tried to update Evernote using a password which was no longer in use, but which was valid the previous time I used it on that computer. This may be a contributing factor to the problems we have experienced in updating, especially for those people using Evernote on multiple computers. I'm not sure...I'm only speculating.

The error code 2732 is caused by Windows Installer 

Search for "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility", download and execute it

Select any information of Evernote installation and remove it.

Then try again the update and it wiil work perfectly.

This worked for me without any uninstallation or registry modification.

TLhM

Fix 1

-Reinstall

Fix 2

For the Evernote team

A combination of steps from Fix 1 and Fix 2 worked for me for installing Evernote 4.6.5.8353 Public, thanks. I'm stating that combination so that others can do it too.

1. Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote

2. Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

3. Uninstall Evernote

4. Install Evernote 4.6.5 (or whichever is the latest public version, when you are reading this) using setup downloaded from Evernote 

5. Install only for the current user (although, I did not try installing for all users, and can't tell whether that will cause any problem)

By the way, I've noticed this problem since Evernote 4.6.4. Since then, 4.6.5 Prerelease and Public have been released but the fix wasn't included in any of them.

The Revo uninstaller solution did it for me.

One has to be aware that you have to use the right buttons in the program

for removing the current evernote installation.

Now up and running with the latest version.

Thank you all.

Reference: Evernote v. 4.6.5.  I have recently decided to use Evernote as my cross-platform choice for notes.  I've used it is in the past but not as a significant part of my work flow. 

I was annoyed at not being able to install v. 4.6.4 on my workstation (running Windows 8) but was hopeful when 4.6.5 was launched that the bug had been fixed.  However, I just got more of the same "the installer has encountered error installing..." error messages.  What I really find annoying is being constantly asked whether I want to install the new update.  Oh, I would love to, if it just worked. 

Is there a way to stop the reminder messages regarding new updates?

BTW, I echo the sentiments of those regarding the workaround fixes.  I started down that trail and then had second thoughts.  I am not putting my entire system at risk to try to fix an app bug when 4.6.3 works.

Thank you in advance...

Reference: Evernote v. 4.6.5.  I have recently decided to use Evernote as my cross-platform choice for notes.  I've used it is in the past but not as a significant part of my work flow. 

I was annoyed at not being able to install v. 4.6.4 on my workstation (running Windows 8) but was hopeful when 4.6.5 was launched that the bug had been fixed.  However, I just got more of the same "the installer has encountered error installing..." error messages.  What I really find annoying is being constantly asked whether I want to install the new update.  Oh, I would love to, if it just worked. 

Is there a way to stop the reminder messages regarding new updates?

BTW, I echo the sentiments of those regarding the workaround fixes.  I started down that trail and then had second thoughts.  I am not putting my entire system at risk to try to fix an app bug when 4.6.3 works.

Thank you in advance...

Apologies for the hassle. I'll try to summarize the issue, but basically the 4.6.3 installer (which has a bug) is cached by the Windows Operating system. Which means the OS tries to use that it automatically tries to use the buggy 4.6.3 uninstaller to uninstall 4.6.3. So even though we have something in 4.6.4 and 4.6.5 the buggy installer is still getting used. We've been looking at various fixes and will keep you updated.

Here is the Ultimate Fix

-Go to 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi' and execute it

Here are other things I tried, but I'm not sure about the results.

Here is alternate fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

Fix 1 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Reinstall

Fix 2 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

For the Evernote team

Thanks, Nicolas, your ultimate fix worked like a charm!

The error code 2732 is caused by Windows Installer 

Search for "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility", download and execute it

Select any information of Evernote installation and remove it.

Then try again the update and it wiil work perfectly.

This worked for me without any uninstallation or registry modification.

TLhM

The easiest way to be allowed to install the new version... Thanks pal!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived