Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Windows Error Code 2732 workarounds

evernote Windows

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolas Dorier

Nicolas Dorier

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

I already responded to another topic, but few people willl be patient enough to go to page 3...

For everybody having the following problem

Error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.
Or .\Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643 Fatal error during installation.

I could not even uninstall !

Here is the Ultimate Fix

-Go to 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi' and execute it

Here are other things I tried, but I'm not sure about the results.

Here is alternate fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

Fix 1 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote

-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Reinstall

Fix 2 (Try ultimate Fix above first)

-Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

-Execute the last version. (it will probably fail again)

-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Install only for this user C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

For the Evernote team

Your problem comes from the Unregisterx64OLAddin action.... I have no reason why.

regsvr32.exe /s /u "[APPLICATIONFOLDER]EvernoteOL.dll"

I am not sure why... but my logs show than when I execute .msi directly, then it execute Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin instead, it worked. (my UAC in disabled)

When executing en .exe, the Unregisterx64OLAddin was running and crashed. So I'm not able to tell you if the fix was me running the command regsvr manually OR running .msi directly.

I guess than running MSI manually worked with because I selected "Only this user" made the condition :  Installed AND (OUTLOOK_BITNESS ~= "x64") AND ALLUSERS AND AdminUser AND (NOT ((VersionNT = 501) AND (VersionNT64))) false so Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin runs instead.

#2 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi all--there's a lot of information floating around on the workarounds that are available to users who are running into the 2732 error code--I've compiled three (and an additional regedit option) here.

Note version here: https://www.evernote...3fc482cd230c987

For users running into Error 2732 on Windows, we've had success doing a simple uninstall/reinstall, as well using REVO to uninstall 4.6.3 and then install 4.6.4.  In the limited number of cases where these two processes don't work, a reinstallation of 4.6.1, uninstall, then installation of 4.6.4 should do the trick.  If you're a completionist, combine the second and third processes (using REVO to uninstall 4.6.3).  I've included all three processes below.

Simple Uninstall/Reinstallation

• Back up your data (basic uninstalls shouldn't require a full back up, but be sure to backup any local or unsynced notebooks by right clicking the notebook and choosing "Export Notes". This will prompt you for the directory where you'd like to keep the resulting .enex file)
  • Uninstall Evernote (through the control panel)
  • Reinstall Version 4.6.4

REVO Uninstall

• Back up your data (In the Evernote client, open Tools / Options / Open Database folder. If you click on open database folder, it will open up a folder.  Find the .exb file that's named with your username, and make a copy of this.)
  • Download the free version of REVO uninstaller here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
  • Uninstall Evernote with Revo Uninstaller (make sure you're on Advanced Mode in REVO) (if error pops up, ignore and you can still proceed with uninstall)
  • If your data was fully removed with REVO, rebuild/remimport your data by taking the same .exb file (your backup) and placing that file back into the database folder after you are done reinstalling.

Reinstallation of 4.6.1 (in rare cases where either of the above do not work)

• Back up your data (basic uninstalls shouldn't require a full back up, but be sure to
    backup any local or unsynced notebooks by right clicking the notebook and choosing "Export Notes". This will prompt you for the directory where you'd like to keep the resulting .enex file)
  • Uninstall 4.6.4
  • Install version 4.6.1 from here
  • Uninstall version 4.6.1
  • Your data should still be available, but if not: rebuild/remimport your data by taking the same .exb file (your backup) and placing that file back into the database folder after you are done reinstalling.

Advanced Users/regedit option:
(We mean advanced.  For a detailed description and warning of what all is involved with regedits on Windows, see carehart's response below. For why we suggest this as a workaround in addition to a bit more detailed steps, see my post here.
)

1. Open regedit (windows key + r, type regedit) and search (control + f) for the following:

4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E

E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

If you locate any of these, delete them and reboot, then install 4.6.4.

------------------------

The specific error code is related to 4.6.3/64bit, so working through a combination of these steps should ensure that you're able to get past the error when updating to 4.6.4.

Edited by Evernote_Admin, 29 April 2013 - 04:49 PM.
Updated to reflect additional backup procedure. EDIT 2: added regedit option, EDIT 3: Updated with regedit warnings

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#3 JeSTeR7

JeSTeR7

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

This worked for me, but I definitely had to do both fixes.

Thanks!

#4 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've found the best 2-step solution for my Evernote use is to play it safe and:

1.) Steer clear of any Evernote beta.

2.) Only download an Evernote public release after closely reading the forum for at least 2-3 weeks (after the actual release). If there are no major issues, I will bite the bullet and install.

#5 scaryceri

scaryceri

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

I had the error code mentioned above and after trying to use the simple uninstall option and the revo option to uninstall as much of Evernote as i could i  still had problems trying to install Evernote.  i then thought i would try  Revo-Uninstaller-Pro (30 day trial) to see if it could find any hidden files that the free revo couldn't.  i discovered this has an installer option and i installed evernote 4.6.4 using this and it installed perfectly, no more error codes.

i would echo the above user gbarry about backing up your local notes.

WIndows 8 user

#6 gubasso

gubasso

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Thanks Nicolas Dorier.

Worked fine for me to! (did both fixes).

#7 SpacecoastWalt

SpacecoastWalt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

I have Win7 and all I did was a simple uninstall and install of the new version, for all users, and it works great....everything is there and it took less than 5 minutes.

#8 ufrei

ufrei

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

@gbarry: Did uninstall Evernote with Revo. Cleaned everything that had been found.

Now new installation of any version (4.6.4 or 4.6.1) does not work with the following error message (my transcript of the German error message):

"Evernote has already been installed by another user. It is only possible to one installation per user.

After uninstalling this installation (per user), an administrator will be able to install Evernote for all users."

Any idea how I can get my evernote (any 4.6 version) back on my PC?

I shall also file a support ticket.

#9 akrde

akrde

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

I did the Revo uninstall step with advanced scan and let Revo remove every undeleted Evernote registry keys and files.

After that i installed version 4.6.4 and started Evernote.

Now Evernote is resyncing my whole library with 8,000 notes, which seems to take ages.

NOT FUNNY!!! :(

#10 Nicolas Dorier

Nicolas Dorier

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

gbarry,

your method simply did not worked for me. I could not uninstall, I had a wierd error message.

That's why I did the steps I documented, so it was the only fix that worked for me....

Important enough : no re installation with a full sync of notes.

Nicolas,

#11 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

I merged both fix threads together as it seems that everyone seems to be fixed with some combination of these. We're working on a single procedure that will work for everyone so we can update our EvernoteVersions.exe uninstaller routine.

The Windows registry is a tricky, tricky thing.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#12 Nicolas Dorier

Nicolas Dorier

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

heather,

I'm curious about what you did wrong... I am a developer, I reversed your msi and the action that failed Unregisterx64OLAddin seemed to be right.

#13 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I've found the best 2-step solution for my Evernote use is to play it safe and:

1.) Steer clear of any Evernote beta.

2.) Only download an Evernote public release after closely reading the forum for at least 2-3 weeks (after the actual release). If there are no major issues, I will bite the bullet and install.

The recent Windows and Mac Evernote beta issues remind me of the finale for "War Games":

"The only winning move is not to play."

"How about a nice game of chess?"

#14 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

The recent Windows and Mac Evernote beta issues remind me of the finale for "War Games":

The problem is occurring in the publicly released Windows version (4.6.4), not the beta version, at least the ones I've been tracking, and appear to be installer-related only. I saw this problem only when upgrading to 4.6.4; fortunately I had an easier time resolving it than some folks. The Mac issues are a different ball of wax, relating to a largish UI redesign and its release on an unsuspecting public.

"The only winning move is not to play."

Uh, War Games was a pretty silly movie, with respect to computer issues. I mean, the ultimate scene had the computer guessing a password one character at a time. It was a cute movie to that point, if you weren't particularly up on computer issues, but really...

~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#15 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

"RISC architecture is going to change everything..."

Oh, Angelina.

(Still makes me giggle.)

http://ask.slashdot....in-tv-or-movies

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#16 Plato510

Plato510

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I am trying to do a simple install of Evernote on Windows 7 and get the 2732 error. Don't know if this matters, but this is in Bootcamp on an iMac. Help? 

[Moderator: merged to Error 2732 topic]

#17 C6REW

C6REW

• Title: I need a Cup Of Tea
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hi Plato and welcome to the forum,

If you type 2732 in the search bar you will find lots of information and help about this error. No point in re - typing here.

Best regards

Chris

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#18 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hi Plato and welcome to the forum,

If you type 2732 in the search bar you will find lots of information and help about this error. No point in re - typing here.

Best regards

Chris

It surely doesn't make any sense to me that someone would post about a problem without first trying to see if there is a resolution.

I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#19 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi all--there's a lot of information floating around on the workarounds that are available to users who are running into the 2732 error code--I've compiled three here.

Note version here: https://www.evernote...3fc482cd230c987

For users running into Error 2732 on Windows, we've had success doing a simple uninstall/reinstall, as well using REVO to uninstall 4.6.3 and then install 4.6.4.  In the limited number of cases where these two processes don't work, a reinstallation of 4.6.1, uninstall, then installation of 4.6.4 should do the trick.  If you're a completionist, combine the second and third processes (using REVO to uninstall 4.6.4).  I've included all three processes below.

Simple Uninstall/Reinstallation

1. Back up your data (right-clicking "All Notebooks" and choose "Export Notes". This will prompt you for the directory where you'd like to keep the resulting .enex file)
  2. Uninstall Evernote (through the control panel)
  3. Reinstall Version 4.6.4

REVO Uninstall

1. Back up your data
  2. Download the free version of REVO uninstaller here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
  3. Uninstall Evernote with Revo Uninstaller (make sure you're on Advanced Mode in REVO) (if error pops up, ignore and you can still proceed with uninstall)
  4. Reinstall Version 4.6.4

Reinstallation of 4.6.1 (in rare cases where either of the above do not work)

1. Back up your data
  2. Uninstall 4.6.4
  3. Install version 4.6.1 from here
  4. Uninstall version 4.6.1
  5. Reinstall Version 4.6.4

The specific error code is related to 4.6.3/64bit, so working through these steps should ensure that you're able to get past the error when updating to 4.6.4.

Geoff, unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see that you mention importing anything from the backup.  Seems the backup is a CYA tactic?  I guess my concern about this post (since it's an "official" EN post, is that no mention is made of local/non-sync'd notebooks and/or unsync'd notes.  IOW, in looking at these instructions, what is the expected next move in order to get one's data back?   Typically, a "good/full" uninstall would delete the live files & folders used by the app & I recall Revo does this.  (Unlike the Windows add/remove program which often will leave files & folders on the computer.)  So is the expected move after a good un/re-install to download the database from the EN servers or to restore from the backup?  If the expected next move is to download notes from the EN servers, then any unsync'd notes or local notebooks will be missing.  If the next expected step is restoring from a backup, I'd think copying the exb file would be the preferred method (since it preserves notebook information as well as retains local notebooks & unsync'd notes) vs importing from an enex file. 

I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#20 econotes

econotes

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Fix 2 worked. Pain in the neck searching through forums for the fixes and making sure I used the right one. An email alerting me to this potential problem and the fixes listed here would have been nice. Next time....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote, Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote