(Archived) Mac App Crash on Start Up

DannyB13

Idea

46 replies to this idea

I followed the latest instructions to completely remove Evernote with app cleaner and I did have Evernote Helper still installed but could only see it in the process list in Activity Monitor. The only way I was able to completely remove it was to reboot into safe mode and remove some files it was still using in my Trash. I confirmed the process was no longer starting in Activity Monitor, reinstalled and removed Evernote Helper, but it still crashes while syncing. I'm not sure where to go from where...

In a nutshell, I completely removed Evernote, Evernote Helper (including the clone of itself it installed outside of Evernote), and every file related to Evernote from my Mac. Then upon reinstalling Evernote and before starting it, I did surgery on it by opening up its package contents and trashed Evernote Helper, emptying the trash to erase this app within Evernote.  Once done, starting Evernote allowed it to synchronize and reload the data stored on Evernote's servers back to my Mac. I haven't had problems since.  

Note that the freeze/crash/becoming unresponsive on startup behavior I found from Evernote occurs before Evernote has a chance to even create files on the Mac, in interaction with Evernote Helper (which apparently froze Evernote.  On reinstallation of Evernote, there are no other Evernote Files on the Mac. They only exist in the cloud on Evernote's servers.

If you succeed in getting Evernote to start synchronizing after it creates its files, yet it crashes, then the problem is different.  For example, it may be a permission's problem, or other.  

I would first backup the Mac.  Then I would use Onyx to do maintenance and cleaning tasks, including repairing permissions and removing various caches which may have old data which interfere with Evernote.

I see that Evernote has been updated once again, to now version 5.1.4.  It will be interesting to see if it freezes on startup.

Danny, your crash was caused a dyld (dynamic link) error. Feel free to Google it. Some folks recommend an app uninstall/reinstall for the offending application. Some recommend repairing hard drive permissions. I'm having our engineers look at it in-depth, but I can't promise a fix.

I would backup then use Onyx to intensively clean out the caches, and do maintenance tasks including rebuilding the dyld's shared cache. 

If you have App store version of Evernote installed, try to download non-App store version, 

My apple mail crashes randomly due to app-sandboxing.

App Sandboxing doesn't cause crashes.  It simply limits what an app can do with other apps and limits where apps can store their files.  Sandboxing reduces the risk of crashing by limiting what an app can do.  

The non-App Store versions of apps are much less limited in what they can do - for example, storing their files anywhere on the computer as opposed to only certain folders/directories.

Apple Mail crashes because it still has bugs - unrelated to sandboxing - such as in how it manages memory or how it manages multitasking etc.  Apple changed the database it used so that Mail can store hundreds of thousands of emails - which choked earlier versions. 

In my case, both the App Store and the non-App Store versions of Evernote froze/became unresponsive/crashed until I excised Evernote Helper. 

Evernote Helper did it again.

I was using the non-Mac App Store version of Evernote - version 5.1.3.  It was working fine since I surgically removed Evernote Helper from it.

This evening, Evernote notified me of the version 5.1.4 update and asked if I wanted to install it.  I clicked the dialog box and Evernote updated itself.

Low and behold, Evernote again froze/became unresponsive/crashed on startup.  On Activity Monitor, Evernote was highlighted in red by a notification it was unresponsive.  And Evernote Helper - listed as "Evernote" was again active.  

Despite deselecting the preference to keep Evernote Helper from running, Evernote by default loads and runs Evernote Helper when Evernote is launched.  And it is freezing Evernote.  

I regard this as a show-stopping bug and flaw.  Evernote helper should never run. There is no reason for it to run.  And I chose to not run it.  Yet it was there in memory, alive and kicking and freezing Evernote.

Not wanting to restart my Mac, I did the following:

1. Force-Quit Evernote using Activity Monitor

2. Found Evernote in the Finder.  Opened the Evernote package. 

3. I couldn't simply delete Evernote Helper since it was currently running.  So I used the app Permanent Eraser to forcefully erase the file by overwriting it.

4. I then Force-Quit Evernote Helper in the Activity Monitor.  It did not restart automatically as in the past (Hooray!).

5. I did a search of my Mac using Easy Find to see if there was any copy of Evernote Helper placed elsewhere on my computer.  There was none.  Looks like Evernote Helper did not replicate this time (thank God).

Evernote - with Evernote Helper surgically removed - worked again!  Booyah!

Looks like as long as Evernote runs Evernote Helper when it starts, then it has to be repeatedly removed to keep Evernote working.

Please - oh please - Jackolicious, can you tell Evernote's engineers to give users the option to NEVER run Evernote Helper. Evernote should NEVER load Evernote Helper by default.  Other apps give users the option to not launch helper background apps.  

And certainly, keep hawking your engineers to figure out why Evernote Helper is crashing/freezing Evernote.  

There is one clue:  Evernote Helper is NOT showing up on the Menubar when it is running.  It is a completely background app.  Maybe Evernote helper is the one that is crashing - but since it lacks a user interface (no Menubar presence) it isn't listed as becoming unresponsive.

I got support from the Evernote team on this issue and it worked.  I uninstalled using applcleaner and then re-installed.  I am up and runnign with no issues

What did they tell you about what was causing Evernote to crash/freeze/become unresponsive? I am very very interested in their response.

I also tried uninstalling using AppCleaner then re-installing. I did this a few times.  Each time, Evernote froze while Evernote Helper was running in the background.  Evernote automatically, without your permission, runs Evernote Helper in the background.  Somehow, Evernote Helper was freezing/making Evernote unresponsive.

Only be cutting out Evernote Helper from within the Evernote App could I make the Evernote App run - in the current and previous version.  Evernote runs very well without Evernote Helper.

So I wonder what Evernote Helper is exactly helping with.  

And why should Evernote Helper install a second copy of itself outside of Evernote that runs automatically on Login without placing itself in the Login Items in Preferences like other apps do?

I used appcleaner to remove Evernote and made sure no instances of Evernote were running in Activity Monitor. I reinstalled Evernote through the Mac App Store and I'm still experiencing the crashing. Can someone point me to the proper technical support to get this resolved? 

FYI

I sent my crash report to Jackolicious, like he asked, and he pawned off the Evernote crash on a corrupted mac and instructed me to have apple fix it.

just wanted to make sure everyone knew what was going on.

I have never downloaded anything that wasn't from the app store. I've never touched or done anything to my mac except download mac apps from the app store and system updates through the app store, and EVERNOTE is the only program that crashes. It's the ONLY program that has problems.

If Evernote corrupted my Mac and made it impossible for Evernote to run, don't you think it should be EVERNOTE's job to come out with a fix for it?

I am by no means the only person who has problems with the Mac Evernote app.  It's a problem for hundreds of people here on the forum (and I'm sure thousands more that are not vocal on the forum) and I think it's time for Evernote to fix product or someone is going to come along and whoop your butt in product AND service and you'll really have problems.

There's a link in my signature and the main website for support. You can submit a ticket there.

Thanks.    I submitted it.

Your issue has been assigned support ticket #63382. You have also been emailed a confirmation including this number.

You should receive an email confirmation immediately. If you do not, please check your Spam folder or check your email address on file in your Evernote account settings. If the email is incorrect, please change it and thenresubmit your ticket.

Your request is now awaiting assignment with our support team. Responses are made in the order received.

Thanks,

The Evernote support team

Well, I've read through this whole thread and now am more than a little irritated. I have already done an app delete/reinstall (twice) and still get the exact kind of crash issues described here, both on my macbook pro and iMac. 

The issue is Not my computers. It's the software. The software I have paid for. And I cannot get it to work EVER. I try to start it up, it crashes. If I am lucky enough that it doesn't crash upon opening, it crashes while trying to sync. 

This is seriously starting to p*ss me off, because I've paid a lot of money for the software and can only use it via web. That was not why I decided to invest in Evernote. How can I take seriously that I should trust the organization of my business documents to this software that can't even run correctly on my computer?

I do not have the time to deal with the process Marianco described (although, thank you for the effort, Marianco; your instructions are precise and do-able and more help than presented by the software company. Very interesting to understand what's going on and why it's crashing). That's why I *paid* for software. So someone else could make a living doing the programming and I can use the software and make my living doing what I do (which is NOT programming).

I'm about ready for an uninstall and request my money back for the remainder of this year (11.6 months' worth).

I've submitted a ticket, sent a few emails back and for, submitted logs.. It's been over 2 weeks since I initially opened a ticket for this issue and haven't received any useful responses yet...

I've had the exact same problem, and marianco is right. "Evernote Helper" is malware, behaving like virus. It is installed without consent, it runs without consent, and it relaunches and reproduces itself, with no other purpose than to cause crashes. I made a screencast showing the problems around killing it.

The only way to remove it, is to go via Terminal to Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems/, sudo delete the source and immediately kill all Evernote processes:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems/EvernoteHelpertop[find the process ID (PID) in front of anything Evernote and press [ctrl]+[c]sudo kill [PID]

In a now closed thread, I posted the results of having run Evernote on a clean setup, but he ignored the facts, and still blamed "other software on the computer".

As chains rightly says, submitting error reports gets no feedback or usable solutions. Merely blank auto-responses.

I have gotten around the problem, by downloading Evernote 5.0.2 from FileHorse. Upon download and unzip, but before running the app, show the app bundle contents, go to the LoginItems folder, and delete the Evernote Helper. Evernote runs without it, but doesn't crash, doesn't take up unnecessary CPU, doesn't reproduce itself and doesn't launch itself.

• Level 5

The Helper is not malware. It is part of the Evernote application. If you'd like to remove it, feel free. If you'd like the latest version directly from us (not from the Mac App Store), you can get it from here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_401409.dmg

We read every post and respond as best we can. Name calling isn't necessary.

Well, I'd have to say I disagree with you on your statement that you respond as best you can to every post.  I have seen a lot of back and forth about the helper program behaving as if it were malware. There has not been a good response or explanation of why it's doing it or how this would be fixed. I have cleaned out Evernote and done clean installs multiple MULTIPLE times and it still keeps crashing.

I'm really busy trying to run my business and I don't want to depend on software that's going to take up this much of my time just trying to get it to run. Evernote's interface is pretty, but if the machine that runs it is not going to play nice with me, than all the lipstick and mascara in the world won't make it into something it's not.

Any alternate explanation for why the helper is behaving the way that's been described? Anything? Beuller? (lol)

I'm not a coder, but I'd like a better explanation from Evernote (better than no explanation) as to why it's crashing and how the helper is not malware if it's doing what others have described.

Thanks,

Dani

Seconding Jack here.  I understand frustration around crash issues, but specifics around individual crashes can be complicated.  Please keep it civil, even if you are frustrated.  We do our best to help here in the forums, and we appreciate the work and detail of those of you who put up workarounds and possible fixes for those who continue to run into crash issues. These threads are always invaluable to us, and to others.

Let me be a little bit clearer here too on one aspect of the conversations that go on here.  I work to ensure that we have good, strong, employee activity here in the forums--that's part of my job.  While these are user forums, meant for users to help other users, it's my personal opinion that we are a stronger company and a stronger community if we have strong employee engagement here as well.  Employees are less likely to post and respond if they are having their names dragged out, or deal with personal attacks while they are trying to offer support. It's not that they don't have thick skins or can't tolerate abuse, but they shouldn't have to while seeking to help.  I consider any attacks against employees, just like attacks against members, as a violation of our rules here, and will respond appropriately.

Dani--I'd like to get you into the support queue if we can--we're limited in what we can triage on the forum in this respect, so getting you working with one of our techs is the best bet here (also why Jack has made references to submitting a support ticket).  I can convert your post to a support ticket, add some additional supporting information, and make sure you are looked at ASAP--I don't want this disrupting business any longer.

(PS: Don't let me pull this too far off topic either, please keep it related to crash issues on Mac.  If you'd like to further comment on anything I've said here, please feel free to PM me and we can continue offline.)

• Level 5

Bueller here ;)

I said we read every post. If we have time, we respond as best we can.

The Helper is not malware because you can normally turn it off. However, you have run into an edge case where the helper is causing a crash in the main application making it difficult to disable the helper. If the crashing does not happen, you can easily turn off the Helper from the Evernote preferences.

We are working very hard to stop crashes that occur on launch.

I'm getting the same crash behaviour when I sign in.

I followed various different instructions on this thread, and managed to at least see the log-in box again - but as soon as I sign in, Evernote just hangs forever:

BPSMQolCEAAUh9_.png

Such a shame to have to abandon Evernote as a result.  :(

• Level 5

Fledge, I would contact support directly. They're best suited to handle your issue. 

I'm going to lock this thread just so we can keep our bug reports current. A lot of the earlier comments relate to old bugs that have been fixed. Thanks everyone!

This issue has been resolved with our latest version.

No it hasn't.  I still get an immediate crash after opening, even after a clean reinstall and doing shlederman's trick.  His trick allows me to log into my account but within 2 seconds after entering my username and password, Evernote crashes again.  All my software is up to date (OS 10.8.3) on a MacBook Pro.  I can log on to my Evernote account via the website and/or via my Android device with no issues, so the account itself is in good shape, it's just the Mac app that has the problem.

Same with me. Evernote crashed on my MacBook Pro with OSX 10.8.3. I tried the above tactics. I also removed every trace of EverNote on the drive using EasyFind. But a fresh installation crashed again and again. I did get to enter my username and password. But no luck afterwards since it hung right after.

I hope Evernote finds the solution.

Interestingly, Evernote runs on my other Mac. It is thus an interaction with something.

• Level 5*

Use AppDelete to remove all instances of Evernote and reinstall. That's what worked for me! Before you do, however, snap a screenshot of your Shortcuts, if Evernote pops up at all - you will have to redo these.

Thank you to Metrodon and Chimer for your input.  I do truly appreciate your taking the time to respond and help.  I did try those steps but saw the same results.  I did find the following information, which did resolve the issue.

1. Quit Evernote
  2. In the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name under "Users", NOT under "Library" at the top level of your hard drive.) (Note: On MacOS 10.7 Lion, Click on "Go" and then hold "Option". This allows you to select the hidden "Library" folder).
  3. If it exists: Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote and move the "com.evernote.Evernote" directory to a different place.
  4. If it exists: Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/ and move the "Evernote" directory to a different place.
  5. Start Evernote, which will synchronize all of your notes from the service and create a new local database. (Note: This may take a significant amount of time, depending on the size of your account.)

Thank you to Metrodon and Chimer for your input.  I do truly appreciate your taking the time to respond and help.  I did try those steps but saw the same results.  I did find the following information, which did resolve the issue.

1. Quit Evernote
  2. In the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name under "Users", NOT under "Library" at the top level of your hard drive.) (Note: On MacOS 10.7 Lion, Click on "Go" and then hold "Option". This allows you to select the hidden "Library" folder).
  3. If it exists: Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote and move the "com.evernote.Evernote" directory to a different place.
  4. If it exists: Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/ and move the "Evernote" directory to a different place.
  5. Start Evernote, which will synchronize all of your notes from the service and create a new local database. (Note: This may take a significant amount of time, depending on the size of your account.)

THANKS! THIS HELPED!

Tried before deinstalling with app cleaner. Didn't go anywhere. This approach safed Evernote as a program for me... was even searching for alternatives...

This issue has been resolved with our latest version.

No it hasn't.  I still get an immediate crash after opening, even after a clean reinstall and doing shlederman's trick.  His trick allows me to log into my account but within 2 seconds after entering my username and password, Evernote crashes again.  All my software is up to date (OS 10.8.3) on a MacBook Pro.  I can log on to my Evernote account via the website and/or via my Android device with no issues, so the account itself is in good shape, it's just the Mac app that has the problem.

1. Quit Evernote

This worked for me. And I did have the newest version of EN. Thanks!

• Level 5

Danny, your crash was caused a dyld (dynamic link) error. Feel free to Google it. Some folks recommend an app uninstall/reinstall for the offending application. Some recommend repairing hard drive permissions. I'm having our engineers look at it in-depth, but I can't promise a fix.

I am crashing as well on my Mac! I keep crashing, whatever I try I cannot bring Evernote up on my Mac.

I get an error message that says "the last time you opened Evernote, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen". When I hit the reopen, I see Evernote for an instance and then I am back at the same error message screen!

Help!

I'm having this problem too. I've tried all the suggestions to uninstall and re-install. Removing from Library Preferences, using app delete, etc. I've upgraded to the latest version which doesn't help either. I have logs I can send if anyone is interested but this is really frustrating. Any help is very much appreciated!

evernote.txt

Please private message me your crash logs.

My MacBook Pro's Evernote 5.1.3 still hangs on startup no matter what I have tried to make it work.  

Hopefully one of Evernote's engineers can fix this problem.  

Where can I DOWNLOAD an older version of Evernote?

While Evernote's engineers work on updating Evernote to a version that doesn't crash on startup, I want to get an earlier version that wasn't crashing.

I agree marianco, I'd like to go back to an earlier version too.

I'm starting to get really frustrated that this isn't fixed, nor are any Evernote team members taking notice and doing something.

Maybe it's time to look for an alternative.

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Evernote will crash if the preference was ever set to "Keep Evernote Helper in the background when I quit Evernote" or if Evernote Helper is running as a background app.

Evernote Helper is stored within Evernote.app itself in the Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems/ folder.

When Evernote Helper is EVER started, Evernote Helper then makes a copy of itself like a virus in the ~/Library/Containers folder.  It can then start by itself even when Evernote is uninstalled.  And it can start itself through restarts or start ups..

When Evernote hangs or crashes, Evernote Helper persists as a background app in memory, called "Evernote".

When you try to force-quit Evernote Helper, it respawns.  This is true even if Evernote is trashed since Evernote Helper made a second copy of itself.

Even when Evernote is uninstalled, Evernote Helper starts itself and stays in memory.  This is because of the second copy of itself that it placed in your system.

If you un-install Evernote, Evernote Helper will prevent you from restarting or shutting down your Mac.

When you erase everything linked to Evernote so that you can start clean (such as by using EasyFind, restarting, then using EasyFind again - since Evernote Helper makes a copy of itself like a virus), starting Evernote will succeed - allowing you to log in - unless Evernote Helper is restarted also. 

If you quit Evernote, it will pop up a dialog box to try to get you to keep Evernote Helper in memory.  Absolutely do not select this.  It is a trap.  If Evernote Helper is in memory already, then Evernote will crash when you try to quit without selecting to keep Evernote Helper in memory.

THE PROBLEM IS EVERNOTE HELPER.  IT BEHAVES LIKE A MALWARE VIRUS. 

IT PREVENTS EVERNOTE FROM STARTING.  And it is difficult to uninstall because it will place copies of itself in your system.  And it is impossible to force-quit since it respawns itself.

On my MacMini, where Evernote works perfectly, Evernote Helper was never started, nor was the preference set to keep it running in the background.  This is why Evernote kept running even with updates. The same was not true of my MacBook's version of Evernote.  I fell into the trap of allowing Evernote Helper to run in the background.

The solution is to get ride of Evernote Helper:

1. Use App Cleaner to uninstall Evernote and as much of its related files as it can.

2. Use EasyFind to search for "Evernote" to delete any file related to Evernote.  This includes browser extensions, growl extensions that can trigger Evernote Helper.

3. Restart.

4. Use EasyFind to again search for "Evernote" to delete any file related to Evernote - in case Evernote Helper made copies of itself.

5. Restart.

6. Check Activity Monitor to see that Evernote Helper (listed as "Evernote") is not active. If not, then you have a clean system.

7. Reinstall Evernote - via the App Store or by downloading it (such as from Filehorse.com - which also has earlier versions). 

8. DO NOT START EVERNOTE YET.  YOU HAVE TO REMOVE EVERNOTE HELPER FIRST.

9. Select the Evernote.app, right-click, and show package contents.

10. Go to the Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems/ folder.

11. DELETE EVERNOTE HELPER.

11. Start Evernote. 

Yay!

My Evernote App has now successfully started, restarted, and works. 

Removing Evernote Helper is necessary so you never fall into the trap of allowing this virus-malware software to get into your system.

Whenever Evernote updates the app, you may have to manually remove Evernote Helper again.

Wow, this started quite a discussion.  In my case I did a system restart which didn't help, so I walked away from Evernote for a while.  But, a couple of restarts later everything works.  And, I do have the Evernote helper installed and working yet I can restart the system.  I don't know why some people are having problems, some aren't, and some like me have problems that go away unexpectedly.  Anyway if it ain't broke I'm not going to try to fix it...

Wow, this started quite a discussion.  In my case I did a system restart which didn't help, so I walked away from Evernote for a while.  But, a couple of restarts later everything works.  And, I do have the Evernote helper installed and working yet I can restart the system.  I don't know why some people are having problems, some aren't, and some like me have problems that go away unexpectedly.  Anyway if it ain't broke I'm not going to try to fix it...

I'm glad Evernote with Evernote Helper active works for you.  

However, it looks like it doesn't work for a lot of people - including me.  

Since I pay for Evernote's premium service, this was a frustrating experience. 

Clearly, for years, Evernote has had problems starting up on various systems.  All you have to do is google it.  This one thread and topic has been going on since March 2013.  Obviously it has been a headache for many on and off since then. And there are multiple threads through the years similar to this one.

Evernote Helper is not necessary to use Evernote.  Obviously, you don't even use it on an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or via the Web Browser interface.  Clearly, Evernote Helper is somehow interacting with some part of the system - either Mac OS X itself or a third party app.   If Evernote Helper is a central problem causing startup issues with Evernote, then I am all for getting rid of it.  

I have never seen such an aggressive background app like Evernote Helper.  You can usually force-quit background apps.  But not Evernote Helper.  Since it also replicates itself - not just staying within the Evernote App like other similar functioning background apps - it is like a virus. This is how it can keep starting up in your system despite uninstalling Evernote.  This is also why it can survive restarts of the system despite Evernote being removed. What is the purpose of keeping itself alive when Evernote is uninstalled?  There is no purpose other than something like Malware does.

Removing Evernote Helper like excising a tumor has made me a happy camper now that Evernote is again available on my MacBook.  It looks like Evernote for me is running like a champ, stable, fast, etc.  

I followed the latest instructions to completely remove Evernote with app cleaner and I did have Evernote Helper still installed but could only see it in the process list in Activity Monitor. The only way I was able to completely remove it was to reboot into safe mode and remove some files it was still using in my Trash. I confirmed the process was no longer starting in Activity Monitor, reinstalled and removed Evernote Helper, but it still crashes while syncing. I'm not sure where to go from where...

• Level 5

Our technical support is best equipped to deal with crashing issues.

The Evernote Helper does try to relaunch itself after a force-quit. It is not malware or a virus. It is expected behavior for the helper application. If you quit normally (helper -> gear icon -> quit), it quits and stays closed. 

Archived