Another problem with installing Web Clipper for Safari

alicat74

I've seen that a few other people have had this same problem, so I followed the instructions posted, but am still having the same issue.

I downloaded Evernote from the web, and installed it that way.

I downloaded Evernote Web Clipper from the web (called Evernote.5.9.10.safariextz)

I move the installer onto my desktop.

Then, I double-click the installer, and it says "Evernote.5.9.10.safariextz is an appliation downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" 

I click "Open."

Then I get a window that says "Are you sure you want to install the extension “Evernote Web Clipper”?" and more. 

I click "Install."

Then the icon disappears, and nothing happens.

I got rid of my old Evernote, just in case I had originally installed it from the App Store.

I deleted the files from the trash.

I reinstalled from the Web page, and tried again.

NO luck.

Thx Alicat for the details, I'd like to ask for a few more.

- Safari version

- OSX version

We are investigating this and as of right now it works as expected in our tests, but we keep looking for the root cause. 

- One thing to try could be to install it from Apple's extension gallery:

https://extensions.apple.com

- Check the toolbar options by going to: View > Customize toolbar if the extension is installed but the button fails to show up you may find it there and can drag it to the toolbar. 

Find Evernote in the productivity section. You must uninstall it before and restart Safari.

Thx Alicat for the details, I'd like to ask for a few more.

- Safari version

- OSX version

We are investigating this and as of right now it works as expected in our tests, but we keep looking for the root cause. 

- One thing to try could be to install it from Apple's extension gallery:

https://extensions.apple.com

- Check the toolbar options by going to: View > Customize toolbar if the extension is installed but the button fails to show up you may find it there and can drag it to the toolbar. 

Find Evernote in the productivity section. You must uninstall it before and restart Safari.

GOT IT! it was there, only not showing in the toolbar. When I went in View --> Customize toolbar... it was there. Dragged it to the toolbar and had it working!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've just installed the web clipper on my Safari (version 6.0.4), the button appears on the toolbar, but whenI click there, nothing happens. Already tried reinstall, restarted Safari and the machine, and it's still the same.

I've got it on Firefox too and there is works ok.

The problem is, I wanted to save all my Safari's reading list on Evernote and I haven't got them of Firefox. Besides, I prefer having all working ok on Safari.

Can you help me, please?

Cheers,

Rodrigo.

Hi, I've just installed the web clipper on my Safari (version 6.0.4), the button appears on the toolbar, but whenI click there, nothing happens. Already tried reinstall, restarted Safari and the machine, and it's still the same.

I've got it on Firefox too and there is works ok.

The problem is, I wanted to save all my Safari's reading list on Evernote and I haven't got them of Firefox. Besides, I prefer having all working ok on Safari.

Can you help me, please?

Cheers,

Rodrigo.

I'm having the same issue.. is there any solution for this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35497485/screenshot.png

@ Rodrigo & Liam,

Did you try uninstalling > restart then reinstalling > restart and then trying to make a clip?

Also please confirm what OS & Safari versions you are using. 

Yes I did, and nothing happens..

OS version is Mac OS X 10.8.3

Safari ver. 6.0.4

Thx Liam,

Not sure why this is happening to you. I recommend you file a support ticket if you haven't done so already. And I will keep investigating this on my end and post any findings back here.

BTW - we released a new version of the Safari Clipper a few hours ago. Make sure you are using the latest one which is version number 5.9.14.

Thx Liam,

Not sure why this is happening to you. I recommend you file a support ticket if you haven't done so already. And I will keep investigating this on my end and post any findings back here.

BTW - we released a new version of the Safari Clipper a few hours ago. Make sure you are using the latest one which is version number 5.9.14.

Thx, I've filed a support ticket now. 

the version I've installed is the new version..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm experiencing identical issues to those mentioned above (Safari 6.0.5 and OS X 10.8.4). It worked the first time I installed it, but it has reverted to the above behaviour after I restarted my machine this morning.

Thanks,

Alex

Thx for the report Alex, we don't have a clear fix for this yet as we cannot reproduce it consistently.

A few workarounds may be:

- Install directly from the Safari extension gallery often resolves it https://extensions.apple.com

- Right click the Get Webclipper button > Download linked file

Sorry for the inconvenience.

BTW - you had it installed before a restart but not after? Did it uninstall on its own?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

If I uninstall the extension and then re-install, it works fine. However, if I then close down Safari and re-start Safari, Web Clipper ceases to function (in the manner described in the posts above - the button is on toolbar, but nothing other than the Web Clipper graphic appears upon the button being pressed).

This behaviour is indifferent to how it is installed - I get the same results if I use the extension gallery or the version on the Evernote web site.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try.

Thanks, Alex.

• 1 month later...

I installed the extension from the Safari Extension Gallery. I can clip web articles, but if they are .pdfs, the web clipper just tells me it failed to start and to reload the document. I reload and the same thing happens. 

Also, whenever I used to clip .pdfs in Mozilla Firefox, they usually show up in Evernote as one letter per line. That is highly annoying. I went to the forums to try and fix it, but none of the solutions there are working for me.

OS X 10.8.4, Safari 6.0.5, Firefox 22.0.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I find that the web clip icon either disappears on Safari or reverts to the icon for posting a note. First I check to assure that the extension is still installed. (In my case it was.) Then I go to the "Customize Toolbar" tab for Safari, find the Evernote Icon and drag it to my toolbar. Presto! My Evernote Web Clip works again. This has happened to me several times, and it took a number of experiments to find the solution.

Evennote is a good program, but they remain borderline incompetent in fixing the problems relating to Safari. Most maddening are the denials that there is a a problem (disguised as a statement that they can not replicate the condition.)

Anyway try customizing your toolbar and if you find the web clip icon in there, you should be ok. Or at least I was.

Of course today, when I opened web clipper again after a restart, the Safari Web Clip icon had again changed its functionality to notes etc only. Once again I went into "customize toolbar" and dragged the icon out, and again it works. This is a real pain to have to do time after time. It's been going on in my system for months and Evernote does not seem to recognize the issue. Evennote is the ONLT extension I use on Safari. Why can't you guys build a version for Safari that works consistently? It's embarrassing.

• 1 year later...

I'm unable to install the Evernote clipper Extension on Safari version 9.1. I did just migrate to a new Mac Mini but I don't see how that is the cause. My Evernote app works fine, but when I try to add the extension, I get an error: "Safari can't install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension "Evernote Web Clipper." (see attachment). 
I'm on El Capitan. Any suggestions? I use the clipper a lot to save web pages.  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 1.51.43 PM.png

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problems, am running the latest version of El Cap.  This is really frustrating, particularly since I'm paying for extra storage and simply want something reliable to clip notes to. Evernote is definitely not ready for prime time,and I'm going to tell all my family to avoid it as a buggy product.  

Archived