(Archived) Windows 4.6.4 Final Beta (RC)

dlu

Hello Folks,

The 4.6.4 release will be a very quick release, we were interrupted in our development cycle when started mandating password resets. 4.6.4 is going to push out features that were originally slated for the previous release.

We have two new features. Document search now works for most documents (word, excel, powerpoint, keynote, pages, numbers) for premium users. If your search term matches inside an attachment, the attachment will highlight yellow similar to text inside a note.

We also have a new Evernote Premium page that lets you check your Premium status and upgrade more easily.

Our bugfixes include a fix for moving business notes back and forth as well as an installer fix.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

The new version installed correctly.

I am not seeing the new search facilities working. I can find, for example, notes containing MS Word document, but text that I know exists inside s specific example in this note set doesn't appear if I include the text in a search.

Example:

* This search term finds notes with MS Word attachments: "resource:application/msword".

* One of these notes contains the word "Delegate"

* But searching using either "resource:application/msword Delegate" or even using "Delegate" doesn't turn up the note, much less highlight the attachment.

Am I missing something?

• Level 5*

Ticket #5848 still not fixed:(

This is a serious productivity issue. It shouldn't take 10 seconds to select a notebook. I can repro it 99% of the time by searching for a saved search, then trying to pick a root personal notebook.

Please escalate this one.

Also, the stuttering issue in the searchbox is still there - Ticket 6031. The first two characters always, and usually the first two characters of following words, especially if a search term (tag: for example)

• Level 5*

Here is a bug that has cropped up in the last build or two. I never recall seeing it before last week.

• Select 2+ notes so the multiselect window shows up
  • be in List view
  • The notes must have 3+ tags in common. This is so the triple upside-down chevron tag thing appers inthe multiselect windows.
  • Have 2+ monitors. I have my laptop monitor as my main, then a secondary monitor to my right and the desktop is extended. (Win7)
  • Evernote is not maximized, but I do keep it at about 90% of my screen size. Don't ask why. I just like it like that.

now, click the triple upside-down chevron.

about half of the time, instead of getting the other tags I get either a thin line through the second screen (EN's main window is on the main screen) or a white bar about 3/4" thick through BOTH screens. It won't show the tags when this happens. Usually the fix is to unselect and reselect, maybe twice.

SCREENSHOT: I've selected 2 notes in my @inbox notebook that have 4 tags in common. Here is the line. Note that it is near the bottom of my laptop screen and in the middle of the 2nd screen. I think it is actually the same number of pixels down from the top of both screens.

The white bar phenomena is the same thing, just 3/4" thick with a black line on the top and bottom, then a solid white bar going through both monitors.

Here is a bug that has cropped up in the last build or two. I never recall seeing it before last week.

• be in List view
  • The notes must have 3+ tags in common. This is so the triple upside-down chevron tag thing appers inthe multiselect windows.
  • Have 2+ monitors. I have my laptop monitor as my main, then a secondary monitor to my right and the desktop is extended. (Win7)
  • Evernote is not maximized, but I do keep it at about 90% of my screen size. Don't ask why. I just like it like that.

about half of the time, instead of getting the other tags I get either a thin line through the second screen (EN's main window is on the main screen) or a white bar about 3/4" thick through BOTH screens. It won't show the tags when this happens. Usually the fix is to unselect and reselect, maybe twice.

SCREENSHOT: I've selected 2 notes in my @inbox notebook that have 4 tags in common. Here is the line. Note that it is near the bottom of my laptop screen and in the middle of the 2nd screen. I think it is actually the same number of pixels down from the top of both screens.

The white bar phenomena is the same thing, just 3/4" thick with a black line on the top and bottom, then a solid white bar going through both monitors.

Going to take a look at it

This is a serious productivity issue. It shouldn't take 10 seconds to select a notebook. I can repro it 99% of the time by searching for a saved search, then trying to pick a root personal notebook.

Also, the stuttering issue in the searchbox is still there - Ticket 6031. The first two characters always, and usually the first two characters of following words, especially if a search term (tag: for example)

For the stuttering, if you turn off Search as you Type, it goes away.

• Level 5*

For the life if me I cannot find that setting. I must be blind. Where is it exactly?

The new version installed correctly.

I am not seeing the new search facilities working. I can find, for example, notes containing MS Word document, but text that I know exists inside s specific example in this note set doesn't appear if I include the text in a search.

Example:

* This search term finds notes with MS Word attachments: "resource:application/msword".

* One of these notes contains the word "Delegate"

* But searching using either "resource:application/msword Delegate" or even using "Delegate" doesn't turn up the note, much less highlight the attachment.

Am I missing something?

Mine's not yet working either.  Perhaps it takes some time to index the new file types (although I thought it would be server-driven rather than client)?

Interesting. Wanted to try the difference before and after install. And found that even before install of 4.6.4 keywords within documents were found by EN search. In .doc as well as .xls-documents.

Well, didn't know I already had that feature :-)

Regards from Munich, EvB.

• Level 5*

• be in List view

Have the same problem, working on dual monitors in XP.

I get it all the time though, so no tagging for me as long as the triple upside-down chevron is there.

• be in List view

Have the same problem, working on dual monitors in XP.

I get it all the time though, so no tagging for me as long as the triple upside-down chevron is there.

Yes, same problem here, since the last but one update.

Hi,

the same problem. Two Error Message on install.

Win7 64bit

Outlook 2010 64bit

Same here.

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit Italian

Outlook 2010 64 bit Italian

EvernoteSetup.log:

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Evernote 4.6.4.8113 Installation has started

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Running as user: ********

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Initializing installed product finder.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking if product {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} is installed.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} is not installed.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking registry for product {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4}.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Located product GUID in HKLM.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product GUID {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} install location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product GUID {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} version is FSSH

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Located product {4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E} with upgrade code {AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99}.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E} version is 4.6.3.8096

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E} install location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking if product {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29} is installed.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29} is not installed.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking registry for product {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29}.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product GUID {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29} was not found in the registry

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking for already installed products

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Detected version 4.6.3.8096 installation

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product is installed PerMachine

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Admin user + PerMachine install: continue.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Parsing command line: "C:\Users\********.yyyyyyyyy\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate\Evernote_4.6.4.8113.exe" /qb

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] User preferred language  () is not supported.

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] User default language is: it (IT)

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Using language: 1040

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Using transform :1040

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] The following arguments will be passed on to msiexec.exe:  /qb ALLUSERS=1 TRANSFORMS=:1040  APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\"

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Extracting resource with ID 129 of type BIN to file C:\Users\******~1.yyy\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

[03/12/2013 11:53:00] Using MSI package from C:\Users\******~1.yyy\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

[03/12/2013 11:53:00] Executing C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe /i "C:\Users\******~1.yyy\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi"  /qb ALLUSERS=1 TRANSFORMS=:1040  APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\"

[03/12/2013 11:56:43] Process execution was successful.

[03/12/2013 11:56:43] Installation failed: (.\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x643:Errore irreversibile durante l'installazione.

• Level 5*

EdH,

Thanks for the report - ticket #6171 has been filed for that issue. 

Thanks.

For the life if me I cannot find that setting. I must be blind. Where is it exactly?
While it doesn't solve the original problem, it does make it work better now.

This setting is a registry entry, which is probably why you haven't found it.

Take a look at SearchAsYouTypeDelay here: https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&st=p&n=d922596f-d0b6-4a9c-928c-fd5ecf929a42

FWIW, I disabled it as soon as that option was available, I find the auto search more distracting than helpful :P

Hi, I downloaded the installer but can't install. I am getting two error messages (Windows 7 64-bit):

attachicon.gifScreenshot - 3_11_2013 , 3_20_00 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot - 3_11_2013 , 3_20_09 PM.png

sb8636, 

Could you, please, let me know if you have MS Outlook installed. If so, what version and if it's a 64-bit or a 32-bit Outlook.

Thanks.

Hi, I just saw this post. I have 32-bit Outlook.

This morning I tried installing again; same error. Tried updating through the client itself; same error. Tried uninstalling through the uninstaller and failed (same error). So I finally uninstalled 4.6.3 with Revo Uninstaller, which went fine. Then I downloaded 4.6.4 again and installed it fresh; it works fine now.

These installer issues seem to arise from a failed installation. I would recommend using something like REVO uninstaller, that is usually pretty quick and easy way to wipe out remnants of a failed installation. We have a fix for it in the upcoming Public release, but depending on where in the install process it failed it, 4.6.4 may not be able to fix it. REVO seems to be a surefire way thus far.

These installer issues seem to arise from a failed installation. I would recommend using something like REVO uninstaller, that is usually pretty quick and easy way to wipe out remnants of a failed installation. We have a fix for it in the upcoming Public release, but depending on where in the install process it failed it, 4.6.4 may not be able to fix it. REVO seems to be a surefire way thus far.

I can confirm that completely scrubbing the Evernote 4.6.3 install with REVO (advanced mode) and reinstalling 4.6.3, DID NOT fix the problem - 4.6.4 upgrade still fails with identical error.

Can confirm that issue is not related to failed installation - as also noted by @vikrama above who failed with twwo clean install son different machines. Obviously a bug in 4.6.3 code base.

Is this really such a complex issue to troubleshoot & resolve?

If the user runs REVO, then installs 4.6.4, it worked for me, but the only place I could find the 4.6.4 file was in this help thread.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to write a blog post that contains a short tutorial  - with appropriate links to step the less technically adept users through the process? 

This handling of this issue is long past the pathetic stage and headed solidly into #FAIL territory at this point.

• Level 5*

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to write a blog post that contains a short tutorial - with appropriate links to step the less technically adept users through the process?

This handling of this issue is long past the pathetic stage and headed solidly into #FAIL territory at this point.

1) if it was simple, it would be fixed already. They are working on it.

2) less technically adept users shouldn't be trying prerelease versions, which can often result in undiscovered issues the end user needs to troubleshoot.

I can confirm that completely scrubbing the Evernote 4.6.3 install with REVO (advanced mode) and reinstalling 4.6.3, DID NOT fix the problem - 4.6.4 upgrade still fails with identical error.

Same installer 2723/bootstrapper errors as everyone else. Every day it offers to update, every day it fails.

Tried the Revo thing - still happening. 

Is the installation of 4.6.3 failing or is the 4.6.4 RC failing to install? I should specify that the fix should be to uninstall 4.6.3 and install 4.6.4

>Same installer 2723/bootstrapper errors as everyone else. Every day it offers to update, every day it fails.

Tried the Revo thing - still happening. 

Is the installation of 4.6.3 failing or is the 4.6.4 RC failing to install? I should specify that the fix should be to uninstall 4.6.3 and install 4.6.4

Later in my post, I stated that "If the user runs REVO, then installs 4.6.4, it worked for me."

So for clarity:

Running REVO on 4.6.3, reinstalling 4.6.3 and then trying to upgrade to 4.6.4 FAILS.

Running REVO on 4.6.3, then installing 4.6.4 WORKS.  The problem is most people lack access to the 4.6.4 file that was linked in this thread.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to write a blog post that contains a short tutorial - with appropriate links to step the less technically adept users through the process?

This handling of this issue is long past the pathetic stage and headed solidly into #FAIL territory at this point.

1) if it was simple, it would be fixed already. They are working on it.

2) less technically adept users shouldn't be trying prerelease versions, which can often result in undiscovered issues the end user needs to troubleshoot.

Uh, EdH - a couple points.

1) The bug exists within the PRODUCTION 4.6.3 code base - That is what causes the installer to fail.  Evernote has classified the 4.6.4 version as a Release Candidate, but has failed to either resolve or provide a step-by-step tutorial for users to fix this latent issue with version 4.6.3. Trying to uninstall and update the code base obviously fails, so just producing version 4.6.4 alone is not an adequate the solution.

2) dlu's statement that the root cause of the error was due to some form of corruption related to failed installs in INACCURATE - As multiple parties have mentioned in this thread. It is a bug in the 4.6.3 code base that incapacitates the installer - therefore patches cannot be automatically applied.  For an SaaS product, this is a potentially severe problem.

3) My comments regarding the less technically adept did not pertain to those using the pre-release version.  IF this truly is a Release Candidate, one must consider its impact on the users in a production environment - it is clear that the version 4.6.4 upgrade should not go into production as all Win7-64/Office 2010 users (which is a fairly large constituency) will be negatively impacted by a known anomaly.

4) Even simple problems do not fix themselves.  SImple problems are not resolved unless the appropriate analytical, engineering and communications resources are allocated and the issue is appropriately escalated.  The resolution - if it cannot be programmatically included in a patch (as appears to be the case here) must be clearly defined for users and should be included in any process to test a Release Candidate.

Considering the apparent intention to make 4.6.4 a "very quick release" with an RC version that does not have process to address a production installer issue is a huge red flag.

One step is to resolve the installer bug (hopefully working in the version 4.6.4 code, but in this case, that can only be tested by trying to upgrade to a later version - 4.6.5?)  The other equally important issue is mitigating the impact on the pending release by communicating any necessary work-arounds that must be performed by a potentially large number of users to upgrade.  Those are both straightforward processes that must be undertaken and tested in a Release Candidate scenario to truly resolve the issue and release the product.

Bottom line - 4.6.4 looks like it is going to require a clean install resulting from 4.6.3 possessing an installer bug.  That is the first fail.  The second fail was how the resolution of this issue was being handled.

I believe you misunderstood my original statement, admittedly it is unclear. I've been running a little low on sleep these days, apologies. I meant to say that the issue is with the 4.6.3 installer that causes users to be unable to upgrade to 4.6.4. 4.6.3 may seem to work fine, but upgrading to 4.6.4 would give an error. There also seems to be some other issue where 4.6.3 itself doesn't install, which may be completely unrelated.

If the upgrade to 4.6.4 fails, I suggest using REVO uninstaller to uninstall Evernote and then do a fresh install of 4.6.4.

• Level 5*

I've just noticed this bug recently - mainly in the last 2 days, so maybe this is with 4.6.4.8113.

In several instances I've used a Saved Search (I use them a TON and have my Saved Searches in my shortcut bar where I can rapidly access them) and the saved search term is added to the previous filter. For example, if I had previously typed tag:excel in to my search bar to find notes tagged with the "Excel" tag, then I click on a saved search that looks like this:

notebook:"@Pending Actions" tag:@home tag:#bills

what I get is:

notebook:"@Pending Actions" tag:@home tag:#bills tag:excel

Which is wrong of course. I can re-click the Home-Bills saved search and it might work, or it might not. I can click other searches too and they all get tag:excel appended to them. I've found no sure fire way to totally clear the issue short of restarting Evernote, though often selecting "All Notes" then running my search works.

I have no issues bouncing around saved searches when all is working fine. I've never seen it add the criteria of one saved search to another. It only seems to add lone tag searches to saved searches. Even if I filter on a folder and tag, when this happens, only the tag is added to the saved search filter, not the folder or other criteria.

Same errors here.

Hi,

the same problem. Two Error Message on install.

Win7 64bit

Outlook 2010 64bit

Same here.

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit Italian

Outlook 2010 64 bit Italian

EvernoteSetup.log:

[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Evernote 4.6.4.8113 Installation has started
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Running as user: ********
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking if product {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} is installed.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} is not installed.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking registry for product {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4}.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Located product GUID in HKLM.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product GUID {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} install location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product GUID {f761359c-9ced-45ae-9a51-9d6605cd55c4} version is FSSH
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Located product {4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E} with upgrade code {AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99}.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E} version is 4.6.3.8096
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E} install location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking if product {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29} is installed.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29} is not installed.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking registry for product {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29}.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product GUID {A5C8B875-E86C-4783-83F4-F35E788FFC29} was not found in the registry
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Checking for already installed products
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Detected version 4.6.3.8096 installation
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Product is installed PerMachine
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Admin user + PerMachine install: continue.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Parsing command line: "C:\Users\********.yyyyyyyyy\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate\Evernote_4.6.4.8113.exe" /qb
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] User preferred language  () is not supported.
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] User default language is: it (IT)
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Using language: 1040
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Using transform :1040
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] The following arguments will be passed on to msiexec.exe:  /qb ALLUSERS=1 TRANSFORMS=:1040  APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\"
[03/12/2013 11:52:57] Extracting resource with ID 129 of type BIN to file C:\Users\******~1.yyy\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi
[03/12/2013 11:53:00] Using MSI package from C:\Users\******~1.yyy\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi
[03/12/2013 11:53:00] Executing C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe /i "C:\Users\******~1.yyy\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi"  /qb ALLUSERS=1 TRANSFORMS=:1040  APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\"
[03/12/2013 11:56:43] Process execution was successful.
[03/12/2013 11:56:43] Installation failed: (.\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x643:Errore irreversibile durante l'installazione.

I tried Revo uninstaller, with Advanced and Moderate mode to uninstall Evernote 4.6.3. It popped up the same error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.

I believe you misunderstood my original statement, admittedly it is unclear. I've been running a little low on sleep these days, apologies. I meant to say that the issue is with the 4.6.3 installer that causes users to be unable to upgrade to 4.6.4. 4.6.3 may seem to work fine, but upgrading to 4.6.4 would give an error. There also seems to be some other issue where 4.6.3 itself doesn't install, which may be completely unrelated.

If the upgrade to 4.6.4 fails, I suggest using REVO uninstaller to uninstall Evernote and then do a fresh install of 4.6.4.

dlu, upgrade to 4.6.4 fails. I tried REVO uninstaller (free) to uninstall 4.6.3 in several uninstall modes, all failed with same 2732 error. I have also tried other uninstall tool, same error. Right now neither can I uninstall 4.6.3, nor can I install 4.6.4 or update.

dlu, upgrade to 4.6.4 fails. I tried REVO uninstaller (free) to uninstall 4.6.3 in several uninstall modes, all failed with same 2732 error. I have also tried other uninstall tool, same error. Right now neither can I uninstall 4.6.3, nor can I install 4.6.4 or update.

You *can* uninstall 4.6.3 via Revo Uninstaller, even though the 2732 error pops up. Just ignore and press okay when the error pops up as you try to uninstall it, do an advanced scan and delete ALL the registry entries and files/folders it finds. Thereafter, use the 4.6.4 installer that you've downloaded from the main website to do a fresh installation.

That's how I updated to 4.6.4 in spite of the 2732 error.

The uninstall worked in this way. Thank you, Irrylath.

You *can* uninstall 4.6.3 via Revo Uninstaller, even though the 2732 error pops up. Just ignore and press okay when the error pops up as you try to uninstall it, do an advanced scan and delete ALL the registry entries and files/folders it finds. Thereafter, use the 4.6.4 installer that you've downloaded from the main website to do a fresh installation.

That's how I updated to 4.6.4 in spite of the 2732 error.

I've just noticed this bug recently - mainly in the last 2 days, so maybe this is with 4.6.4.8113.

In several instances I've used a Saved Search (I use them a TON and have my Saved Searches in my shortcut bar where I can rapidly access them) and the saved search term is added to the previous filter. For example, if I had previously typed tag:excel in to my search bar to find notes tagged with the "Excel" tag, then I click on a saved search that looks like this:

notebook:"@Pending Actions" tag:@home tag:#bills

what I get is:

notebook:"@Pending Actions" tag:@home tag:#bills tag:excel

Which is wrong of course. I can re-click the Home-Bills saved search and it might work, or it might not. I can click other searches too and they all get tag:excel appended to them. I've found no sure fire way to totally clear the issue short of restarting Evernote, though often selecting "All Notes" then running my search works.

I have no issues bouncing around saved searches when all is working fine. I've never seen it add the criteria of one saved search to another. It only seems to add lone tag searches to saved searches. Even if I filter on a folder and tag, when this happens, only the tag is added to the saved search filter, not the folder or other criteria.

EdH,

Thanks for the report - ticket #6220 has been filed for this issue.

• Level 5*

Same here.  Windows 7 64-bit failed on 4.6.4 install.

I used REVO to uninstall and, unfortunately, I lost all my local notes.  I've lost so much of my life because of this... I'm going to sit here and cry for a while.

Ouch. Yeah, the caveat should have been to back up your database if local. I think the general assumption here is notes are synced wi the Evernote servers.

Did you have backups? The same would have happened with disk failure, device loss, etc. you need the .exb file.

I would recommend the advice here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35970-windows-464-final-beta-rc/page-3#entry196567

This is just to make sure you're getting REVO to fully uninstall 4.6.3 and because I personally don't like manually fussing with registry entries.

Actually, I just realized there's something else to try. During one of my adventures with this bug, I had thoroughly trashed the registry settings and REVO seemed to not work as expected, nor could 4.6.4 install properly. I had also previously tried to install an older internal build and all sorts of other messy things that you do with test machines. Anyways, I found that I could get 4.6.3 to install cleanly. After that, REVO picked up 4.6.3 AND bits of a 4.6.4 file. I had REVO go delete eeeeeeeeverything it could find. Then a clean install worked like a charm.

So I guess to summarize. Make backups. See if 4.6.3 will install and launch. Then try REVO again. Delete everything possible that's related to Evernote (it sorta hurts to type that sentence...) Then see if 4.6.4 will install cleanly.

I get the same installer errors.  I never had the beta- I get this with 4.6.4 Public (26844).  W7 64bit w/ Office 64bit.  Can we expect an update that fixes the installer, or do we _really_ have to uninstall with REVO and re-install?

I get the same installer errors.  I never had the beta- I get this with 4.6.4 Public (26844).  W7 64bit w/ Office 64bit.  Can we expect an update that fixes the installer, or do we _really_ have to uninstall with REVO and re-install?

From

what I can gather via the very helpful log files people have sent in,

working with Customer Support, discussions with our team and other such

activities, it seems that there is a bug with version 4.6.3 that affects

some Windows 64bit users that also have Microsoft Office 64bit

installed. We haven't been able to narrow down which versions of Windows

64bit and which versions of Microsoft Office 64bit are required in

which combination for this bug to occur. There are just a ton of

versions of Windows, even within Windows 7 there are multiple

variations. The same issue with the Office suite. Trying to find the

right combinations of the two is, what I would describe as frustrating.

Anyways,

back onto the issue. After you've installed 4.6.3 the 4.6.3 installer

is cached by the Windows operating system. So when you try to upgrade to

4.6.4 the operating system grabs the 4.6.3 uninstaller that is cached

and uses that to do the uninstall process. We don't have a way of

forcing Windows to use the fixed 4.6.4 installer to do the

uninstallation, so there doesn't seem to be anything we can do from

within our application. Hence the 3rd party uninstaller (which I

recommend), or the need to manually remove registry entries or files

(which makes me personally nervous, but only because I've personally

done stupid things before).

Anyways, I'd like to emphasize my apologies for this whole affair and that it only affects a subset of Windows 64bit users.

Actually, just found this:

The other workaround is to uninstall regularly, then reinstall 4.6.1, then install 4.6.4, as the issue is with the 4.6.3 install.

I would recommend the advice here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35970-windows-464-final-beta-rc/page-3#entry196567

This is just to make sure you're getting REVO to fully uninstall 4.6.3 and because I personally don't like manually fussing with registry entries.

Actually, I just realized there's something else to try. During one of my adventures with this bug, I had thoroughly trashed the registry settings and REVO seemed to not work as expected, nor could 4.6.4 install properly. I had also previously tried to install an older internal build and all sorts of other messy things that you do with test machines. Anyways, I found that I could get 4.6.3 to install cleanly. After that, REVO picked up 4.6.3 AND bits of a 4.6.4 file. I had REVO go delete eeeeeeeeverything it could find. Then a clean install worked like a charm.

So I guess to summarize. Make backups. See if 4.6.3 will install and launch. Then try REVO again. Delete everything possible that's related to Evernote (it sorta hurts to type that sentence...) Then see if 4.6.4 will install cleanly.

Tried doing this, no Evernote at all now except on the Programs and Features. Still getting the error code 2732 and I have to use the web version of Evernote. So frustrating.

Tried doing this, no Evernote at all now except on the Programs and Features. Still getting the error code 2732 and I have to use the web version of Evernote. So frustrating.

@Jenniferlspies: Please try what dlu recommends in the post immediately above yours.

Can't do that because a newer version of Evernote is technically still on my computer. It won't let me install 4.6.1 and gives me an error "A newer version of Evernote is already installed. Please, uninstall the installed version manually if you wish to install this version."

I'm including a link to three separate steps below, so anyone running into this should try them to get you past this specific error.  It's not a bad note to keep handy for future reference either, since it has links to Revo and the like in it.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2372-workarounds/

Jennifer--it sounds like you've done all of the above.  I'm wondering if you are in "Advanced Mode" when running REVO. This is needed to fully wipe Evernote from your computer.  I've added that nuance to the directions included above as well.

I'm including a link to three separate steps below, so anyone running into this should try them to get you past this specific error.  It's not a bad note to keep handy for future reference either, since it has links to Revo and the like in it.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2372-workarounds/

Jennifer--it sounds like you've done all of the above.  I'm wondering if you are in "Advanced Mode" when running REVO. This is needed to fully wipe Evernote from your computer.  I've added that nuance to the directions included above as well.

Thanks! That did help (and a lot faster than going through Evernote, even being a premium member). Glad to have the desktop version back!

Now I am stuck.  REVO ininstalled 4.6.3, it can no longer see it.  But installing 4.6.4 gives the bootstrap 2732 error.

Hi Nick, I'd try going into REVO's advanced mode. Even if you see a 2732 error in Revo, you can continue on and just wipe out registry entries & files. That should get you a fresh start. Remember to back up first!

• Level 5*

EdH,

Any update on #6171? It is still happening in build 4.6.4.8136. It seems to be worse in that it happens more often and to add more than 3 common tags to notes with the multi-selected pane, I have to just add them manually to each note.

EdH,

Any update on #6171? It is still happening in build 4.6.4.8136. It seems to be worse in that it happens more often and to add more than 3 common tags to notes with the multi-selected pane, I have to just add them manually to each note.

Apologies. It is still on our list. If we had a policy of giving timelines, I'd say ... *gets tackled from behind*

• Level 5*

EdH,

Apologies. It is still on our list. If we had a policy of giving timelines, I'd say ... *gets tackled from behind*

Just an update on this - it gave me the thick white bar today instead of the thin gray line. Shot of it here.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived