Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Issues with iOS after password reset request ?

ios authentification

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Fred V.

Fred V.

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hi,

i'm using 3 different applications to quickly access my Evernote account (create quickly notes)

After the password change request (or forced request i could say), i have modified my password and now they all are not working anymore.

On both app store applications, i get a Could not Authenticate.  And on my own application where i can add any debug i want, i get the Bad URL error.

For all three i have removed the Application "token" on Evernote's settings and tried to reconnect. I get the Auth page from Evernote but it doesn't work after that.

Is there something i need to do on my iPhone to clean settings ?

or is there a change in the SDK and i need to get a new version in my app and wait for other apps to update ?

#2 Fred V.

Fred V.

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

I have tried to completely uninstall an app and reinstall it and it worked for the first one.

I will try with both others.

But maybe there is an easiest way to do that (i hate to have to reinstall an app to fix such an issue)

#3 Mustafa

Mustafa

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hi Fred,

Sorry for the inconvenience. You can also log out of the Evernote service from within the app you are using, and then re-login.

Thanks,

Mustafa

#4 Fred V.

Fred V.

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Well i have tried that on all 3 applications but it did not seem to work ... only full reinstall worked

I'll try again but if i'm the only one to have this problem it's because i'm doing something wrong :)

Thanks

#5 Mustafa

Mustafa

• 348 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

If it doesn't work, please let me know which app you are using.

#6 David Chevenement

David Chevenement

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Dear Mustafa,

WE have some users of our app Beesy that are experiencing the same issue.

This is not consistent across users as we ourselves have no issues.

Most of the time disconnecting from Evernote and relogin is enough but for some uses it seems that it does not work.

We investigating with them but we would definitely appreciate your help on this as some users start complaining.

Any idea for the cause and a possible workaround ?

We use your latest ARC enabled SDK

Thank you for your help

Kind regards,

David 

BeesApps

#7 Fred V.

Fred V.

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

For your information, i use Fast Ever and managed to make it work again by uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the app store.

For my own application, after many tests of logging out and re-enabling the 1-year token, it worked and i got rid of the Bad Url error, but it's not as easy as it should have been.

#8 Mustafa

Mustafa

• 348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Hi David,

The iOS SDK has been updated to assist further with this.   Can you give more details as to what exactly your users are seeing?

Thanks,

Mustafa

#9 David Chevenement

David Chevenement

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Dear Mustafa,

Actually, they disconnect from Evernote in Beesy using a call to https://www.evernote.com/Logout.action

Then when they try to export a note, they are prompted for login / pwd.

They receive an email from Evernote stating they have authorized access to Beesy for a year

But the export is somehow failing with no error message.

If the user exports again, he's asked from login again.

By direct contact, I can provide logs from an iPad with the issue.

Please let us know what we should do.

Can you explain what is happening ?

Should we upgrade the SDK ? Are we sure it will solve the issue ?

Kind regards,

David

#10 David Chevenement

David Chevenement

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Dear Mustafa,

The issue we have is that this is not consistent across users.

Most of the time everything will be fine but for some users, it does not work.

Thanks for your help

David

#11 David Chevenement

David Chevenement

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

By the way, thank Fred for the reinstall trick but unfortunately, this is definitely not an option for us.

Users do have things in their App.

Kind regards,

David

#12 Fred V.

Fred V.

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

David i truly understand reinstalling is not a good way.

I have forgotten to tell you one thing .. important ... I don't remember exactly but on my own project, when it was not working fine, i have grabbed the newest Evernote IOS SDK  and updated my project. I think i had to link a new Library and i think it worked after that.

As i see other Evernote applications updated these days on App Store, it may be a good solution to take the new SDK, recompile your project and try if it works fine now.

I'm sorry i'm not clear but as i have done so many logout/enable token/try/doesn't work , i don't remember when i have updated the SDK .. 

#13 Mustafa

Mustafa

• 348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi David,

You should be calling [[EvernoteSession sharedSession] logout] to logout of a session. For more information on the updated SDK, please see the Readme .

Thanks,

Mustafa

#14 David Chevenement

David Chevenement

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Dear Fred,

Thanks for the advice, I did not mean that your suggestion about reinstalling was not a good one :)

Just one that we cannot advise ourself to our customers :)

We did upgrade right now to the latest SDK and it's working fine on our test iPads but it was already working fine on them.

The issue comes from some customers out there on the field so we cannot be sure that upgrading to the latest SDK solves this issue, we'll have to submit to Apple and wait for 5 days :(

Hence our question to the team to try to understand what could be going on and cause issues to make sure we corrected the point prior to request Apple's approval (takes too long :().

Thanks for pointing out the SDK.

Mustafa, ok for the logout, this is rather new. But it works on our current test platform though. 

We had a look at the read me. How long ago did this changed for the canhandleURL and the call back feature ?

We don't have this and it's working fine for most of our users except those I mentioned.

Do you have an idea of what could be the issue ?

As a side note Mustafa, we are a bit concerned about all the changes made to the iOS SDKs, we would very much like a change log of things to configure in the documentation from one version to the other so that we don't miss important things.

Thanks for your help

David

#15 Mustafa

Mustafa

• 348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hi David,

We always maintain a detailed change log here . The canHandleURL feature is important to add if you added the plist entry. This allows the app to authenticate using the Evernote for iOS app.

You can also follow our blog for updates.

Thanks,

Mustafa

#16 David Chevenement

David Chevenement

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi Mustafa,

Understood for the change log in the API itself, we were more thinking at a migration log, telling us to watch out for important changes that we MUST do to be compliant.

What I understand from the change log is that the latest Evernote version will authenticate the user inside the Evernote App is this correct ?

How does it affect the Oauth process and what should we do to take this into consideration, knowing that from the look of the logs i do have under my eyes for our faulty customer, it looks like they did upgrade to the latest version: most of the logs comes from your app.

I find it somewhat curious that the Oauth process should be different depending on the version of Evernote that is installed on the iPad.

Could you confirmed ?

I did mp you to get in touch directly to exchange about those logs.

Kind regards,

David

#17 Mustafa

Mustafa

• 348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi David,

All the changes are completely backward compatible. Lets take this offline on email.

Thanks,

Mustafa

#18 David Chevenement

David Chevenement

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

OK corrected thank you Mustafa.

To summarize and maybe help some people out there:

- the latest Evernote iPad version is now able to handle the authentication process so your app is relying on it

- it goes through calling the Evernote app which then calls back your app

- it means you must handle the canHandleURL method in your app delegate to take over.

Thanks to Mustafa for helping us out.

Kind regards,

David

PS: the former authentication process was running just fine with previous versions of Evernote.

#19 Naomi'sNotes

Naomi'sNotes

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

I am having the same problem as Fred V. Following the (forced) password reset I can no longer access the app on my iPhone 5.

Is the only solution to uninstall and reinstall that app?

Naomi O.

#20 AndyDent

AndyDent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

We always maintain a detailed change log here .

Seriously, without trying to sound too rude, that's an overview. It is not a detailed change log. There's not even the ability for an outsider to know which bugs are fixed from that document.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote