Important Information about Skitch and Evernote Security Notice

Joe Lopez

Idea

All users of Evernote service should have received an email by now alerting you to the security notice from Evernote.

If you have not read the notice you can read about the security notice by going here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/03/02/security-notice-service-wide-password-reset/

If you need to reset your password you can go here: Password Reset

The Skitch team is in the process of releasing new updates to all of our Evernote service enabled apps. The status of each one can be found below:

• Skitch for Mac
    • Mac App Store - Released. May take awhile for Apple to refresh each region's Mac App Store
    • Direct Download - Available for download from: http://www.evernote.com/skitch
  • Skitch for iOS - Released
  • Skitch for Windows Touch - Released. 
  • Skitch for Android - Not affected since it relies on Evernote Android. Please make sure you update Evernote Android.
  • Skitch for Windows Desktop - Not affected since it relies on Evernote for Windows. Please make sure to update Evernote for Windows.

Release notes for this version are:

- This update addresses a security issue that requires you to reset your password. Details on blog.evernote.com

If you have questions concerning your account or password reset please contact via customer support found here: http://evernote.com/contact/support/

9 replies to this idea

Hi, thanks for your work.  I use and love skitch since months.  Since (the mandatory) updating my password yesterday, now whenever I try to sync with the server (e.g. if I have a screen shot and want to upload it and get the URL on my clipboard, with command-/, Mac 10.7), I just see the 

'Single Note Sharing' dialogue box, with the message "syncing with service"... and the spinner.. and it never completes.

Is this a known issue? ....  solved with skitch version 2.0.5 ? (and so I am just waiting for that to come out in the Mac App store).  Or, was it just a coincidence that this skitch command broke the very day of the mandatory password reset event on 02/03 March 2013?  .... and coincidence that Skitch 2.0.5 came out now as well?

Thanks
-Govinda

@Govinda - If you are using Skitch 2.0.4 please try the following:

• Sign out of your account - Use the account profile button in the upper left and then select "Sign Out"
  • Fully quit Skitch including the Helper
  • Restart Skitch and log in using your updated password

This should resolve you're issue. If it doesn't please let us know. Thanks. 

I'm using Skitch 1.0.12 on my Mac (Snow Leopard) and am no longer able to send to Evernote. (I have already reset my Evernote password.)

Here's what I observe (after a reinstall of Skitch, beginning afresh):

I can "login" to Evernote – i.e. it appears to accept my username and password (and if I enter an incorrect password it recognises it as invalid) and in Preferences it shows that I'm logged in as [username]

But when I click Choose… to nominate the destination notebook I'm simply prompted for my details again and there's no opportunity to select a notebook.

If I leave preferences and attempt to send a skitch diagram to Evernote, I'm again prompted for my login details and this time I get the following error message:

Webpost error:
The server refused the connection from Skitch.
Please check your "user" and "password" settings

(Since my user and password settings are correct this isn't very helpful.)

Is this related to the recent security issues and updates? If so, can users who aren't on (Mountain) Lion – and therefore still using Skitch 1 – expect an update that will fix the problem?

@Thom_C - The current Skitch for Mac version is 2.0.5, we no longer support Skitch 1.x. 

Ok, I understand that there won't be any further updates for Skitch 1. (A pity, since some of us are resolutely sticking with Snow Leopard for now, but that's how it is.)

However, I'm still unsure about the issue I'm experiencing and how I might fix it.

Are you able to say (or speculate) whether it's related to the recent security issue or not? Or might something else be causing a login difficulty like this?

And is there any kind of solution or workaround that I could try in order to reconnect Evernote to Skitch 1?

@Thom_C 

Assuming you've reset your EN password, then I really don't know what the cause might be. Skitch 1.x used a different method than the way 2.x interacts with Evernote's services. Possible something has broken with the way 1.x interacts with the Evernote API calls. 

If you have not reset your EN password, then that is most likely the cause.

Unfortunately since we no longer support 1.x, there really isn't any workaround to make Skitch 1.x work again. All I can really recommend is that you upgrade to Skitch 2.0.5. 

Is there a particular set of features missing from 2.x that is preventing you from migrating?

@Thom_C 

Is there a particular set of features missing from 2.x that is preventing you from migrating?

Ah yes, compatibility with Mac OS 10.6

:)

I'd happily try Skitch 2, but I'm not willing to switch to Mountain Lion at this time.

I'm using Skitch 1.0.12 on my Mac (Snow Leopard) and am no longer able to send to Evernote. (I have already reset my Evernote password.)

Here's what I observe (after a reinstall of Skitch, beginning afresh):

I can "login" to Evernote – i.e. it appears to accept my username and password (and if I enter an incorrect password it recognises it as invalid) and in Preferences it shows that I'm logged in as [username]

But when I click Choose… to nominate the destination notebook I'm simply prompted for my details again and there's no opportunity to select a notebook.

If I leave preferences and attempt to send a skitch diagram to Evernote, I'm again prompted for my login details and this time I get the following error message:

Webpost error:
The server refused the connection from Skitch.
Please check your "user" and "password" settings

(Since my user and password settings are correct this isn't very helpful.)

Is this related to the recent security issues and updates? If so, can users who aren't on (Mountain) Lion – and therefore still using Skitch 1 – expect an update that will fix the problem?

I had this EXACT same problem as well. I almost gave up on the app but finally found the solution.

This guy here posted to delete "com.skitch.skitch.plist".

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37534-archived-webpost-error-evernote-login-problem/

You find that file here on your Mac here.

~/Library/Preferences/com.skitch.skitch.plist

I first deleted the "logged in" evernote account. I closed the program. Deleted the .plist file. Emptied the trash can. Re-opened Skitch. Entered my log-in information and voila!

Hope that helps guys!

Archived