(Archived) Making New Stacks...In the Windows 7 Desktop App?

poisonalice

VERY FUNNY guys, but that was a mean trick you played and I want to be able to make notebook stacks directly in the Windows 7 desktop client!  When I first opened Evernote from my desktop right after the software update that included the notebook stack option, the first time I had right-clicked a note, the stacking option appeared in the window, but at the time I had no clue as to what the stacking option did, as I didn't know anything about it until a little after the update was installed.  I had clicked on something else in the window, and a second later it finally registered that hey, there's a new option there that wasn't there the last time I used this!  So I went to right-click the note again and BOOM!  The "new stack" option disappeared from the Evernote Windows 7 desktop client.  No matter what I tried, and still try, I cannot get that option to make a new stack directly in the desktop app.  I finally got around to seeing if it was available in the web app, made myself a handful of notebook stacks, and synced them up just fine with the desktop app, but even though I now have stacks appearing just fine in the desktop app, I STILL can't make a new one!  Now, I KNOW that I wasn't imagining seeing the "new stack" option IN my WINDOWS APP, so I'm wondering if this option is just not available specifically in the Windows 7 app, or perhaps there's a bug on my end?  I looked up stacks under Evernote Windows in the FAQ, and it explains how to make new stacks there, but I don't have the option to do so.  What's going on?  Is it me or is it just not there for all Windows 7 desktop app users?  It's REALLY confusing me because I KNOW I saw that option there for the split second it was on my screen, before I even knew what they were and what they're used for!  The thing is, I really, really enjoy and appreciate the feature, but it's a bit cumbersome to have the option only in the web app, when I primarily use the desktop app.  Should I uninstall the software and reinstall it?  Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you very much!

VERY FUNNY guys, but that was a mean trick you played and I want to be able to make notebook stacks directly in the Windows 7 desktop client!  When I first opened Evernote from my desktop right after the software update that included the notebook stack option, the first time I had right-clicked a note, the stacking option appeared in the window, but at the time I had no clue as to what the stacking option did, as I didn't know anything about it until a little after the update was installed.  I had clicked on something else in the window, and a second later it finally registered that hey, there's a new option there that wasn't there the last time I used this!  So I went to right-click the note again and BOOM!  The "new stack" option disappeared from the Evernote Windows 7 desktop client.  No matter what I tried, and still try, I cannot get that option to make a new stack directly in the desktop app.  I finally got around to seeing if it was available in the web app, made myself a handful of notebook stacks, and synced them up just fine with the desktop app, but even though I now have stacks appearing just fine in the desktop app, I STILL can't make a new one!  Now, I KNOW that I wasn't imagining seeing the "new stack" option IN my WINDOWS APP, so I'm wondering if this option is just not available specifically in the Windows 7 app, or perhaps there's a bug on my end?  I looked up stacks under Evernote Windows in the FAQ, and it explains how to make new stacks there, but I don't have the option to do so.  What's going on?  Is it me or is it just not there for all Windows 7 desktop app users?  It's REALLY confusing me because I KNOW I saw that option there for the split second it was on my screen, before I even knew what they were and what they're used for!  The thing is, I really, really enjoy and appreciate the feature, but it's a bit cumbersome to have the option only in the web app, when I primarily use the desktop app.  Should I uninstall the software and reinstall it?  Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you very much!

Making stacks in the Windows client has been & continues to work fine for me & I'm using Win 7.  (There is no specific Win 7 client - it's the same one that runs under XP.)  However, if you have all your notebooks under stacks, you may not be able to make new stacks (but I can't confirm that) b/c stacks cannot be nested.

That's actually the article I was referring to, no help to me at all as it doesn't show up like that for me, although all the updates have installed just fine for me.  And no, I'm not trying to make stacks of stacks, I'm just trying to stack notebooks that aren't in stacks.  It's so confusing!  Perhaps I should try an uninstall and reinstall, if it's working fine for you guys.  Must be something wonky on my end :/

• Level 5*

You cannot make stacks of stacks (maybe you already know this).

Are you telling me that you cannot do the following (from the linked article that I posted)?

To create a new stack, right click a notebook and hover over "Add to Stack". This will show you a menu of all of your existing stacks, as well as the "New Stack" option. Selecting "New Stack" will create a new stack and add the selected notebook to that stack.

You can also, in the notebook list, drag a notebook onto another notebook, which will create a new stack, or drag a notebook onto an existing stack, which will add the notebook to the stack.

My problem was that I already had a Notebook that I wanted to be the name of the "stack" folder. And right-clicking adds a new stack. And there is no way I can see to make an already created notebook the beginning of a stack.

I have worked around it by renaming the stacks and notebooks.

Thanks for the response.

Exactly.  I am NOT trying to make stacks of stacks.  I am meerly just trying to make stacks of notebooks within the Windows 7 desktop app.  There's no option to make a stack when I right-click on a notebook.  I can make them in the web app, and then they'll show up in the desktop app just fine, but I still can't make them within the desktop app.  I'll have to try dragging a notebook on top of another to try to make a stack in the desktop app.  Thanks for the tip!  If that doesn't work though, I think I'm just going to try unintstaling the app then reinstall it.

Are you telling me that you cannot do the following (from the linked article that I posted)?

To create a new stack, right click a notebook and hover over "Add to Stack". This will show you a menu of all of your existing stacks, as well as the "New Stack" option. Selecting "New Stack" will create a new stack and add the selected notebook to that stack.

You can also, in the notebook list, drag a notebook onto another notebook, which will create a new stack, or drag a notebook onto an existing stack, which will add the notebook to the stack.

Exactly.  I am NOT trying to make stacks of stacks.  I am meerly just trying to make stacks of notebooks within the Windows 7 desktop app.  There's no option to make a stack when I right-click on a notebook.  I can make them in the web app, and then they'll show up in the desktop app just fine, but I still can't make them within the desktop app.  I'll have to try dragging a notebook on top of another to try to make a stack in the desktop app.  Thanks for the tip!  If that doesn't work though, I think I'm just going to try unintstaling the app then reinstall it.

Of course you can make new stacks in the Windows client. It works exactly as Jeff described it above.

post-48228-0-16243900-1362403469_thumb.j

Archived