(Archived) notes missing after password reset

I too am missing notes that I created on my mobile, but are not showing up when I sign in on a pc.  I've tried syncing both and restarting.  Nothing visible.  I am guessing this is related to the password event, but that is just a gut feel.  Did your notes ever show up?

• Level 5*

Support is generally not available on weekends; admittedly they may be on duty this weekend, but as you might guess, are probably pretty busy.

So the questions that I have are:

* Were the notes on your mobile device (iOs? Android?) previously viewable on your PC? That is: were you successfully syncing your mobile device? If not, then your notes are probably gone.

* Can you see the notes using the Evernote web client? If so, then the notes are up there on the server, and it's some sort of sync problem, possibly related to the password reset, but they're safe at least.

I also have a similar problem. It had been long time before I had to log in, and I used to make notes offline and sync when I am home. well, today it asked me to log in, and I forgot the password, so I reset it, then,  all my notes for the past week (I guess they were not synced) are missing. I need them desperately. please anyone help me.

1. are the notes made offline, stored in the ipad somewhere?
  2. Can they be retrieved? how?

Please assist me.

Jefito, I sync Evernote on a mc an iPad and an iPhone, I had seen them alland used them on Fri, when I followed password instructions they disappeared, my web client does not show them . Now I just see a new page with a note from Evernote only.

I still have heard nothing from my several emails to Evernote amd like Soprano really depended on Evernote for the notes content.

There are two main causes for not seeing your notes.

Many users have inadvertently created multiple accounts. One is attached to their common email address, and another has their common username. Please try the following steps to see if this may be your issue:

1. Login to your account at Evernote Web (https://www.evernote.com/Login.action) with your username and password.
  2. Check to see if your notes are there. If they are not, please continue to step 3.
  3. Logout of this account.
  4. Login to your account at Evernote Web (https://www.evernote.com/Login.action) with your email address and password. (If different from what you have seen at the PersonalSettings page.)
  5. Check to see if your notes are there.

Additionally, if you have received more than one email notice from team@email.evernote.com notifying you of the Security update, check to see what email addresses they were sent to. Try logging into Evernote with these email addresses, as these are all accounts we have on file for you.

You can repeat steps 4 and 5 with any email address that you may have, or ever may have used (even if you no longer have access to it, like a previous work email.) If you know the current password to your account, you should be able to login successfully.

The second most common issue is that on certain devices, once you have successfully logged in with your new account information, Evernote must resync your data from our server. This is a security precaution to ensure that your data will only be accessible by you.

In performing the first step (logging into your account on Evernote Web), you can ensure that your notes are on our server, and wait as they download to your machine. Depending on the size of your device, this can take some time.

If you are still unable to find your notes, please do not hesitate to contact Support via the link in my signature so that we can assist you. We are dealing with a backlog right now so there may be longer wait than usual for Free users as we must assist all Premium and Business users first. We will be working increased hours to ensure we meet our one business day response time for our Premium and Business customers.

There are two main causes for not seeing your notes.

Many users have inadvertently created multiple accounts. One is attached to their common email address, and another has their common username. Please try the following steps to see if this may be your issue:

1. Login to your account at Evernote Web (https://www.evernote.com/Login.action) with your username and password.
  2. Check to see if your notes are there. If they are not, please continue to step 3.
  3. Logout of this account.
  4. Login to your account at Evernote Web (https://www.evernote.com/Login.action) with your email address and password. (If different from what you have seen at the PersonalSettings page.)
  5. Check to see if your notes are there.

Additionally, if you have received more than one email notice from team@email.evernote.com notifying you of the Security update, check to see what email addresses they were sent to. Try logging into Evernote with these email addresses, as these are all accounts we have on file for you.

You can repeat steps 4 and 5 with any email address that you may have, or ever may have used (even if you no longer have access to it, like a previous work email.) If you know the current password to your account, you should be able to login successfully.

The second most common issue is that on certain devices, once you have successfully logged in with your new account information, Evernote must resync your data from our server. This is a security precaution to ensure that your data will only be accessible by you.

In performing the first step (logging into your account on Evernote Web), you can ensure that your notes are on our server, and wait as they download to your machine. Depending on the size of your device, this can take some time.

If you are still unable to find your notes, please do not hesitate to contact Support via the link in my signature so that we can assist you. We are dealing with a backlog right now so there may be longer wait than usual for Free users as we must assist all Premium and Business users first. We will be working increased hours to ensure we meet our one business day response time for our Premium and Business customers.

I tried what your advised, no sucess, login in with my username or my email gives me exactly the same files. anything from last week is not there, please assist as soon as you can.

I found that this fixed my issue, however, I needed to login with both user name and email on my original posting device - ipad and then all my notes showed up.  I then synced with the account that had the notes and all notes showed up on all devices.

Just want to say, this post SAVED ME! Thanks for the informative instructions on username vs email login. You should pin this to make it really easy for people to see, because with the password reset, I think a lot of people will be in the same boat.

Thanks again!!

I'm currently a Premium subscriber who appears to have lost a whole days worth of notes and associated photos.  My iPhone wasn't set to sync over 3G and when I returned home the following day Evernote popped up asking me to reset my password and without any change or warning it's deleted all unsynchronised notes in my device. 

The support team are trying various things (including checking via iphoneexplorer) but I'm not having any luck and getting very worried these notes and images are gone :-(

I have Evernote set to auto sync, so do not believe lack of synchronizing caused my problem. Thanks

Manhattanoc, u mention that u solved your problem by signing in with your users name and your email address, how do you do that, type both of those into the first slot do "sign in"

Thank u

I have lost everything through this password reset - notes of training sessions that will not be repeated and are very important to me etc. Has anyone got recommendations for an altnatice to Evernote - I can't trust them now?

I have lost everything through this password reset - notes of training sessions that will not be repeated and are very important to me etc. Has anyone got recommendations for an altnatice to Evernote - I can't trust them now?

Did you sync all these important notes to the EN server?  If so they should be there.  Did you read Heather's post earlier in this thread?

i only set-up an account so next time they get hacked see if they can brake my password  :) as its likely it will happen again and due to using MD5 + other poor security on the Andorid app side (http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/critics-substandard-crypto-needlessly-puts-evernote-accounts-at-risk/) < note that link is bit technical but you get the point>your password are just like  been stored in plain text (not really plain text but 90% of the passwords have probably been broken in the first 1-3 hours so if you have used the same password els where like your Email then you should change it

if you use google or yahoo enable 2 factor login, on yahoo disable the use of security question as an second factor login(same page as enabling it) and on google and yahoo you should treat your security answers the Same as the password (so do not use the colour RED as an answer)

maybe upgrade your password hashing to scrypt best due to very hard for GPU to crack (make sure you limit the amount of login trys as scrpt can DDoS the login server but so can any hash function if set to 0.25-0.5 seconds), PBKDF2 with SHA256 option selected is still very good but you need to have the Rounds set very high, the use of MD5 is Very poor in this day and age more so with what is stored on Evernote please upgrade and port each user over to the new system (norm you would do it on Next login to move them automatically over to the new hash function)

I too lost all of my notes after the password reset. I tried the remedies from Heather's post with no success.

I have a trouble ticket (16051-251531) and have heard nothing. These notes are critical.

Is it possible to restore things from one of the daily server backups that I am sure is done by Evernote? Is it possible to roll my account back to a day when the notes were present?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I too lost all of my notes after the password reset. I tried the remedies from Heather's post with no success.

I have a trouble ticket (16051-251531) and have heard nothing. These notes are critical.

Is it possible to restore things from one of the daily server backups that I am sure is done by Evernote? Is it possible to roll my account back to a day when the notes were present?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

If Heather's suggestions did not work for you, you'll have to wait until they respond to your support ticket.  I'd guess they may be rather backed up.  Premium users usually get a reply within one business day, California time & can use chat.  Free users get a reply as time permits.

Or, if you have a backup from a Mac or Windows client, you could revert to that.  But if it appears all your notes are missing from the web client, you would want to proceed with caution.  But at least if you have a current backup, you could use it on a desktop client without sync'ing.  I would be cautious about syncing from a backup though, until you are in contact with support. 

ops the other post should of been in the pined password reset thread my post my bad

any way unless you have some super limited data package on your mobile data plan leave Sync on, if your taking pictures then you may need to set it to sync only when on wifi (like wifi at work or home), unless you really have an mobile unlimited data plan

what would of been better if an Mass email was sent out to all users that you must change your password in 2 days and the client it self Should have an popup for Important info to show this (so it gives you time to sync up before you change your password to prevent notes loss) after that force the password change every one

but problem is with md5 been used to hash the passwords would of been broken in first day

I came here as a last resort, and see I'm in excellent company.  I've been using Evernote since 2008 (at least) but never sync.  Never wanted to.  But I have lived my life in this app, and with the password reset I seem to have also lost all of my local, off-line content.  To make issues worse, I also listened to the FAQ and updated from 3.3.0 to 5.0.6.  Perhaps not my brightest move.

I'd love to be able to just roll back to 3.3.0 and get my notes back.  My log says I have over 17,000 of them.  I'm well and truly lost without this tool, and my data.  I've put in a ticket for assistance, but don't know if there will be help forthcoming.

Has anyone heard from the company regarding a situation like this?  I mean, a solution for those of us who've had an account for years and years (and years) but never synced our data?

Thanks to any and all.  :-(

I came here as a last resort, and see I'm in excellent company.  I've been using Evernote since 2008 (at least) but never sync.  Never wanted to.  But I have lived my life in this app, and with the password reset I seem to have also lost all of my local, off-line content.  To make issues worse, I also listened to the FAQ and updated from 3.3.0 to 5.0.6.  Perhaps not my brightest move.

I'd love to be able to just roll back to 3.3.0 and get my notes back.  My log says I have over 17,000 of them.  I'm well and truly lost without this tool, and my data.  I've put in a ticket for assistance, but don't know if there will be help forthcoming.

Has anyone heard from the company regarding a situation like this?  I mean, a solution for those of us who've had an account for years and years (and years) but never synced our data?

Thanks to any and all.  :-(

Well, since you never sync'd, you would need to rely upon one of your own backups. Please search the board on backup/restore in order to figure out how to restore from a backup on your OS. I would *assume* since that since you never wanted to sync that you *did* backup your database...right...???

They'll only let me have 4 more posts today, so let me make this one count.  :)

I use Time Machine, so should have plenty of backups... plus, I'm still not understanding why the update would overwrite my database. 

But thank you, I will look at the whole backup/restore issue. 

They'll only let me have 4 more posts today, so let me make this one count.  :)

I use Time Machine, so should have plenty of backups... plus, I'm still not understanding why the update would overwrite my database. 

But thank you, I will look at the whole backup/restore issue.

GREAT!!! 

(Yes, as a new user, you get five posts.  I think after 24 hours that is lifted. Anti-spam device.)

I'm not Mac, so can't help you with the restore other than pointing you to this post (as a starting point) by Heather, a very knowledgeable EN employee.  Seems like only steps 1 & 2 are all you'd need to do in your case.  (That OP had messed up tags and/or notebooks.)  But like I said, I'm not Mac, so can't say for certain.

And...IDK why the update would overwrite the existing data, either.  IME with the Windows updates, that has never happened.

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, apologies if I am, and I'll start a different one.  Thanks, those links were helpful, and I have learned quite a lot... and gotten Evernote 3.3.0 at least restored back on my machine.

However, I'm running Lion, and EN 3.3.0 now, and cannot find the ApplicationSupport/Evernote/data directory they talk about.  Perhaps this was elsewhere way back at this version?  I'm assuming (!) my data is still around, just trying to locate it.

Again, thanks and sorry for cluttering this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a premium subscription recently and was hoping that EN would make my rather massive research article collection and laboratory notes more organized. The concept is outstanding (read as it was put together very proficiently), but the team/product managers responsible for keeping it bug-free are likely not doing things right. I was very impressed with the graphic interface and decided to organize all my notes, articles, data, and photographs of older handwritten transcripts into EN! That was certainly a big mistake on my part...

For the second time in a month I've had to do 2 things (I installed EN on my MAC OSX snow leopard):

1. Could not get the main user interface that has all my material in it to show up; I only was able to make new notebooks from the menu options.  After reading through some very helpful user posted solutions here, I had to delete library folders, restart EN, and then wait for it to download all of my notes to start working - which takes a very very long time, and defeats the purpose of having all my material constantly offline to refer to. If I have to download all of my notes 2x monthly, then I suggest that EN not accept money from customers until they fix issues like these, or put the issue in as part of the very slick features (with Apple-like design marketing graphics) so that potential customers can know of this before parting with their money.

2. Oh, the other thing I did again this past month was to send a report of the problem to technical support - and as before, I have not heard a word. Zilch. 

So, my own opinion after paying for EN - it is a great concept, and has a team selling it with brilliant graphics, fonts, icons and color usage so that it looks like the real thing. But I think it is too flaky to entrust a whole lot of research material and notes (that most people value greatly, since they represent a lot of work). It also lacks documentation and customer service. It is very good at processing credit cards for subscription, though. They must have hired good people in a few departments. They also have a few great people masquerading as experts on this forum who will defend the sloppy code as something that you should not take too seriously. If you are a free user (like I was), please continue to be free - dont end up paying for EN like I did (any pun is definitely intended). 

At the very least, I hope my post spurs someone at EN to talk to whoever is in charge of the code for Mac OS libraries and offline notebooks. In the meantime I am migrating everything back to good old-fashioned folder based organization with links to materials in Adobe and a word processing document. 

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, apologies if I am, and I'll start a different one.  Thanks, those links were helpful, and I have learned quite a lot... and gotten Evernote 3.3.0 at least restored back on my machine.

However, I'm running Lion, and EN 3.3.0 now, and cannot find the ApplicationSupport/Evernote/data directory they talk about.  Perhaps this was elsewhere way back at this version?  I'm assuming (!) my data is still around, just trying to locate it.

Again, thanks and sorry for cluttering this thread.

A good deal has changed from 3.3.0 to 5.0.6 and it'll depend on if you downloaded from the Mac Appstore, or directly from our site. One of the big issues is that we've implemented sandboxing on the appstore versions. Sandboxing, among other things, means that your files are stored in a different location on the file system. The version from the appstore is sandboxed, and the version from our site is not sandboxed. Sandboxing was implemented about a year ago, so all versions prior to that would be non-sandboxed.

So for an example, if you had downloaded 3.3.0 and it wasnt' sandboxed but then upgraded to 5.0.6 sandboxed, it is likely that the new sandboxed version simply isn't finding the notes and is looking in the wrong directories. One of the downsides of being sandboxed means the app can't wander the file system at its discretion, so making a migrator from non-sandboxed to sandboxed is unfeasible.

Anyways, to make a long story short, it is likely that all your local files are on your computer. I'm delighted to hear that you have backups just in case. If you can't seem to find the files manually, I would contact customer support. Mac 5.0.6 supports local notebooks, so I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to use the latest version of Evernote the way you do now. I personally recommend 5.0 and above but you know, I might be biased.

Best of luck

I bought a premium subscription recently and was hoping that EN would make my rather massive research article collection and laboratory notes more organized. The concept is outstanding (read as it was put together very proficiently), but the team/product managers responsible for keeping it bug-free are likely not doing things right. I was very impressed with the graphic interface and decided to organize all my notes, articles, data, and photographs of older handwritten transcripts into EN! That was certainly a big mistake on my part...

For the second time in a month I've had to do 2 things (I installed EN on my MAC OSX snow leopard):

1. Could not get the main user interface that has all my material in it to show up; I only was able to make new notebooks from the menu options.  After reading through some very helpful user posted solutions here, I had to delete library folders, restart EN, and then wait for it to download all of my notes to start working - which takes a very very long time, and defeats the purpose of having all my material constantly offline to refer to. If I have to download all of my notes 2x monthly, then I suggest that EN not accept money from customers until they fix issues like these, or put the issue in as part of the very slick features (with Apple-like design marketing graphics) so that potential customers can know of this before parting with their money.

2. Oh, the other thing I did again this past month was to send a report of the problem to technical support - and as before, I have not heard a word. Zilch. 

So, my own opinion after paying for EN - it is a great concept, and has a team selling it with brilliant graphics, fonts, icons and color usage so that it looks like the real thing. But I think it is too flaky to entrust a whole lot of research material and notes (that most people value greatly, since they represent a lot of work). It also lacks documentation and customer service. It is very good at processing credit cards for subscription, though. They must have hired good people in a few departments. They also have a few great people masquerading as experts on this forum who will defend the sloppy code as something that you should not take too seriously. If you are a free user (like I was), please continue to be free - dont end up paying for EN like I did (any pun is definitely intended). 

At the very least, I hope my post spurs someone at EN to talk to whoever is in charge of the code for Mac OS libraries and offline notebooks. In the meantime I am migrating everything back to good old-fashioned folder based organization with links to materials in Adobe and a word processing document. 

Hi Adsen

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I assure you they are not a common experience. Perhaps the most convincing fact is that such bugs are actually very costly on our part. With over 40 million users, if everyone had to re-download their notes, the transfers alone would be extremely expensive. And this does not include the increased infrastructure needed to support this as well as the manpower required to support the infrastructure.

Nonetheless, you're run into quite a bit of trouble and that is a shame. When you submitted a support ticket, did you get an automated email confirmation? If you did not, that means there was an error with the submission itself and the support team never received your support request. Or it is possible that the automated email (and subsequent emails) were caught in a spam filter. Our support folks usually respond within the next business day or two (California time). I believe we have recently been staffed over the weekend to help with password resets.

If you're able to reach support, they can ask for activity logs and possibly other information that can help us diagnose the problem. Alternatively could also go into the Mac forums and describe your issue in more detail and see if any forum users have any suggestions. I think the former is a better path to take, but whatever gets you back up and running again

• 2 months later...

I have been going back and forth with Evernote support for three days about a lost note. I did a password change and the note is no longer visible on any of my devices. Not until I saw this forum did I have any idea it was related to a password reset. I will not use Evernote again. I have to be able to trust my files are safe no matter what is going on.

• 1 month later...

I'm one of those Ev users who have never synchronized their accounts. I was using Ev only offline and only on my mobile. That was/ that is what I really need. I've never used backup programmes/ clouds etc. and I still alive :)

After password reset I've lost all I've collected during last year. Quite a lot. And as I see I've lost it irretrivably.

Why Ev has changed? Why now it is only online (please don't even mentioned about premium)?

Ech. I will definitely advise against using Ev. It's time to change it to more userfriendly and reliable app.

Evernote was never available for offline only use on mobile clients. In order to have offline use, you need to be a Premium member and specifically choose which notebooks you wish to store offline.

As such, you likely have another account that was syncing to our servers.

Archived