Suggestion: Ability to lock changes

Kotya

Guys

I would really like to see the ability to "lock" notes editing. It is way too easy to inadvertently change the "modified date" of a note (and it will change the sort order, if sorted by modified date). It is importan for me to keep creation/modified note dates for the documents I attach.

It happens quite frequently that notes change modified date without any real change. Press wrong key, undo, but the modifed date is ruined.

I assume, it is very easy to implement, just a lock icon... press once and the note becomes read-only, press again and it is editable. So, people can "lock" notes after finishing writing them and keep them in tact.

Thanks in advance!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I don't know if a lock feature would be easy to do or not, but it has certainly been suggested (by me and others) in the past. There are easy workarounds available now.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35413-can-i-lock-my-note/?p=191517

Thanks for the reply!

Creating another premium account and deal with multiple seaches/account switches is definitely not my way of solving the issue :-) Never using PC version of Evernote and rely only on, for example, Android would do the trick too (there you have to click Edit before you can make changes) :-)

I just hope EN will add this functionality. Or something more serious, like "locking" specific notes would also prevent them from being edited by other users, even if they have edit privilege on a shared notebook.

• Level 5*

I don't know if a lock feature would be easy to do or not, but it has certainly been suggested (by me and others) in the past. There are easy workarounds available now.

Thanks for the reply!

Creating another premium account and deal with multiple seaches/account switches is definitely not my way of solving the issue :-) Never using PC version of Evernote and rely only on, for example, Android would do the trick too (there you have to click Edit before you can make changes) :-)

I just hope EN will add this functionality. Or something more serious, like "locking" specific notes would also prevent them from being edited by other users, even if they have edit privilege on a shared notebook.

I don't see any need to create another premium account. Two free accounts would work fine. One search (on the desktop clients) will suffice to search both owned and joined notebooks, so you will notice no difference in practice. As for account switching, you can if you want, or you can just email the notes into the "locked" account when you are done with them. Remember, you can designate the notebook (@) and tags (#) in the email, so the notes will go directly into the place you would like them to be. You don't ever have to log into the account again, if you don't want to. I have been using this method for a couple of years now.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't see any need to create another premium account. Two free accounts would work fine. One search (on the desktop clients) will suffice to search both owned and joined notebooks, so you will notice no difference in practice. As for account switching, you can if you want, or you can just email the notes into the "locked" account when you are done with them. Remember, you can designate the notebook (@) and tags (#) in the email, so the notes will go directly into the place you would like them to be. You don't ever have to log into the account again, if you don't want to. I have been using this method for a couple of years now.

I already have premium account, so to use premium features, I will have to get another premium account. Besides, creating a whole new notes infrasructure for such a simple thing, is an overkill. Implementing locking feature is easy, if they choose to give it priority. But this is for EN to decide of course. I made a suggestion, hope they are listening... and making notes :-)

Archived