Can I lock my note?

• Level 5*

Hi ,

sometimes, I only want to read the content of my note, so I want't edit it, but sometimes may have misopertion, and evernote auto update.

Can I lock some notebook or one note?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Technically speaking, dlu is correct. However, in practice, locking notes is quite easy to do. One workaround is to create a separate account and put notes and notebooks you don't want edited into it. Share the notebooks with your main account, and you can still search and read them just like normal, but (unless you give yourself modification privileges), they are (for all intents and purposes) locked.

It sounds more cumbersome than it is. Premium users can easily switch back and forth among multiple accounts. And, free users can email notes they want to have "locked" into their second account (remember, you can even designate the tags and notebooks for the notes). When you are done with a note and want to preserve it, just email it. This is a great solution for "archiving" your notes.

And if one is tech savvy, they could play around with the enex file of the note. I know there is a way under the hood to lock notes b/c my notes sent to EN from Skitch on iPad are write protected. But I've not had the inclination to delve further into how it's done. But I'd guess you could easily make a script that would lock a note, if you were so inclined.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Hi ,

sometimes, I only want to read the content of my note, so I want't edit it, but sometimes may have misopertion, and evernote auto update.

Can I lock some notebook or one note?

+1 agree that this is a must have. 

You really don't need to go through all of the forum topics and +1 all of them that request note locking. The Evernote staff are aware of the request.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have Evernote business and being the project manager there are some notes that I would like to remove my co-workers editing access on. I see this is an older post but might have been something Evernote has updated since then.

• Level 5*
On 2016-08-05 at 1:46 PM, ecaysis said:

This is an older post, but I'd love this feature as well. Several times I've been in a document and accidentally deleted a file or a selection of text accidentally.

23 minutes ago, smahoney said:

I have Evernote business and being the project manager there are some notes that I would like to remove my co-workers editing access on. I see this is an older post but might have been something Evernote has updated since then.

Evernote has no read-only feature for notes

As an alternative, you could convert your note to pdf format

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, smahoney said:

This would be better taken up in the Evernote Business forum over here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/277-business-help/

• Ex Employees
On 1/5/2017 at 9:20 AM, smahoney said:

You can share notes and notebooks with view only permissions. See the "Set Permission Levels" section of this article for more info. Additionally, as a Evernote Business Admin, you can manage notebook permissions from your admin console

• 7 months later...

A simple-to-use note locking feature is needed to prevent accidental edits -- above and beyond the check mark function available now. 

With phones getting thinner and larger, I end up "editing" my shopping lists ALL THE TIME while actually shopping. Holding my phone (shopping list in Evernote) in one hand, the overlap of my thumb and fingers opens up the note, adds/deletes characters, and unless I catch it, I end up losing my shopping list.

I just checked my book draft in Evernote and found I'd "butt-dialed" random words throughout my manuscript -- word suggestions by Android, added when my phone became unlocked in my pocket. The whole 300+ pages will need a careful rewrite now to make sure all the random words are removed. 

I'd recommend Evernote everywhere, on our many websites and social media accounts, but between the lack of this much-needed locking feature -- and the lack of the ability to globally select typeface and font size -- I just can't recommend it. Every note, every time, I am re-doing the font face and size. Every time. 

So close, yet so far.  

I know you must feel strongly about not including these features, but please humbly re-consider the many requests for these two features.

As they say in the South, sometimes you're "sooo right," you're wrong. Guys, this is one of those times. 

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, websta said:

I know you must feel strongly about not including these features

I see no indication of strong feelings; just Evernote not recognizing this as a priority

I posted a feature request, linked below.  Your support would be appreciated; voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5
2 hours ago, websta said:

I just checked my book draft in Evernote and found I'd "butt-dialed" random words throughout my manuscript -- word suggestions by Android, added when my phone became unlocked in my pocket. The whole 300+ pages will need a careful rewrite now to make sure all the random words are removed.

I totally sympathize with your problem. OTOH....

I hope you saved the draft after the butt-dial and before the rewrite. This could be the most revolutionary move in creative writing since Jack Kerouac fed a hundred-foot reel of paper into his typewriter and started streaming On the Road. Instead of stream of consciousness, you could call it "stream of inadvertence." You could publish it under the pseudonym Otto Korrect, or maybe Ann Droid. It's the future of literature. Instead of a million monkeys on a million typewriters, you'd only need to give one monkey a constant supply of caffeine and a pair of pants with a phone in the pocket. Just let me know when you're ready for a jacket blurb.

Archived