(Archived) Evernote crashing and stability on Surface RT

jchiar

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing here, running a Surface with Windows RT, completely unusable, it's never worked well, if at all. I have noticed a few updates to the Evernote application, but if anything the problem has gotten worse. It used to sometimes work after a couple launches, now seems to completely fail, launch and it just crashes back to the main tile screen.

Hi From Belgium,

For me now it's worse,  I've some notes in double!!!  Can risk to use anymore, I don't want to break all my notes.

Shame! How programmers can distribute an 'alpha' version of there software!

Ipad , Android, Windows and Mac versions are very very good and I'm happy but windows RT version... :(((((( Shame!

And I'm a 33 years experience  programmer I know that programming is complex, but Please Do your job!

Don't tell me that you can't affect 1 or 2 programmers on that RT version...

A EVERNOTE USER VERY ANGRY!

Stephane D.

www.diamondsoftware.net

Hi From Belgium,

For me now it's worse,  I've some notes in double!!!  Can risk to use anymore, I don't want to break all my notes.

Shame! How programmers can distribute an 'alpha' version of there software!

Ipad , Android, Windows and Mac versions are very very good and I'm happy but windows RT version... :(((((( Shame!

And I'm a 33 years experience  programmer I know that programming is complex, but Please Do your job!

Don't tell me that you can't affect 1 or 2 programmers on that RT version...

A EVERNOTE USER VERY ANGRY!

Stephane D.

www.diamondsoftware.net

Could you tell me a little bit more about the duplicate note issue? Did this happen after a sync? Haven't heard of this issue before.

thanks!

Hi from Belgium,

since the last evernote upgrade for the Windows RT tablet, I've try to use again evernote.

so I've log on with my user and pass, and make a sync.

After few minutes,  some of my notes are duplicated!?

So Do not disturbe my others computers/tablets I log off the evernote in the Surface RT tablet , and don't use it.

All other computers/tablets are ok . I use them everytime.

But I don't use anymore evernote on Windows RT Tablet? I'm afraid to make problem with all other linked computers/tablets.

I've more that 1440 notes and it grow fast.

Regards

Stephane D.

www.diamondsoftware.net

Mine seems to have good and bad days - often crashes when launching from the home screen, but not always.

Once in EN, sometimes it crashes in the middle of a note and loses the data that was in the note (the unpardonable sin for an app like EN). After that, the note exists, but no data inside, which suggests it was syncing, and on future attempts the crashing is during sync.

Rebooting doesn't help.

This has been happening to me since the last update of Evernote Touch as well. Before that, it was mostly stable and my most-used app on my Surface (RT).

The crashes usually follow this pattern, in case it's helpful:

1. Start the app, it crashes on startup/login.
  2. Start the app, it logs in and displays notes.
  3. Opening or editing a note, about 30% chance it will crash when switching to the note's screen. Go back to step 1.
  4. If the screen locks, there's about an 80% chance it will crash when unlocking the screen. Go back to step 1.

None of these crashes seemed present in the last version, which I used pretty heavily. For now, i've switched to note taking in another app on my Surface, then copying from there into Evernote on my desktop because the constant crashing while taking notes is unusable. Please fix this!!

Same issue as others. In Windows RT, Evernote keeps exiting abruptly right after login. This is key software for me and I need this issue resolved NOW. How come you, Evernote, isn't doing anything about it even after a month of people here saying there is a problem? Get it fixed or at least talk to us!!!

I am also having the problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, but I don't think everything gets removed, because when I reinstall, it shows up in the same place on the Start Menu. It works when you startup from the install, but seems to fail to completely sync. From that point it fails. I have no problem on my Windows Phone 8 Evernote or either of the Windows 8 versions. Only the RT version is having issues. I am trying to use the RT system more because of the battery life and access to a more secure environment. Your help will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been testing this out to see if it was something all the people in our company could use, but I've started using One Note instead.  This is a real shame.  Especially since they are trying to get into the corporate market.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it working.  an uninstall and reinstall managed to clear things up.  looking at the logs it seemed like a database was locked.  the uninstall cleared everything and forced a re-sync which made it all work.

Any word of a fix? This is really frustrating. I don't want to switch to OneNote, but it seems to be the only viable solution.

Evernote team - can you please at least give us some idea if or when this might be fixed?

Can you guys PM me with activity logs?

Charm Bar >> Settings >> Customer Support >> Activity Logs

We're working on various ways to add stability.

The same here -crashing quite a lot.

Can we help to debug it somehow?

Additional issues:

- i have many images but thumbs are not created, not until I open that post

Suggestion:

- perhaps it should be possible to define starting screen - current solution uses "All notes" or similar, which is most resource intensive. I'd be happy to start with Notebooks or with a Notebook of my liking (something that doesn't have many notes)

• 4 weeks later...

I have also issues with evernote on Windows rt. Seems to get worse this week. Really not workable so switched to onenote. Really Evernote team work on this . You are loosing customers by note acting on this!

• 2 weeks later...

Add another unhappy user here. I first tried the touch version on a Win 8 machine. Crashed while loading nearly every time. I've now also tried on a RT tablet: completely unusable. Loads about 10% of the time (the rest, just crashes and takes me back to the home screen). Also, and a deal-killer for me: I have a pawwrod protected note that I can't seem to unlock on the touch version.

Would be nice to see a fix, otherwise, in the mean time, I'm back to OneNote

I'm having this issue too! Just got my RT tablet, and I was so excited to use Evernote on it! And it keeps on crashing. I bought it for easier note taking in lecture, and unless they update soon, those productivity plans are bust.

I'm having this issue too! Just got my RT tablet, and I was so excited to use Evernote on it! And it keeps on crashing. I bought it for easier note taking in lecture, and unless they update soon, those productivity plans are bust.

Believe it or not, the current version of Evernote for RT is the most stable yet . . .  More often than not, when on the Surface I use evernote's email gateway to add notes. I've never lost data working in the Surface Email program. Working within the EN application is too dangerous. To be honest, I've been rather tempted to start using OneNote -- the Surface App is fantastic and syncs directly to SkyDrive.

Longtime Evernote user here.  I started using Evernote on the RT to take notes at a recent Tech Conference where such devices were available very inexpensively.  Three days in I ran into the same problem as here; crashes on startup, restart, crashes on synch.  I lost notes for a presentation four times before giving up.  Yes, I've reinstalled.  This is an unusable product in its current form.  I keep being tempted to switch to OneNote because it is so stable on the RT.  

Would prefer a fix.  The email gateway is an option, but not a desireable one.

And another RT problem: using Evernote on a PC, iPad or Windows Phone, my password-protected notes work just fine. You click on the grey box, a place to enter the password shows up, and you're in. On the RT version, you can click all you want, but you will never see any way to enter the password.

So you are just locked out of your files until you switch to a different device!

I started using OneNote on the RT until this is resolved (works just fine on all the above devices), or until I get disgusted enough to drop my premium status.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same problem on my Surface RT, Evernote Touch constantly Crash after Startup.

No matter what I try Evernote syncs approx. 700 of my 6000 notes and stop there, no further progress.

I hoped it would improve with the new version which I installed yesterday 05.07.2013 but unfortunately not.

I like the improvements I see but can not use it.

Is there any other way to get the evernote DB onto the Surface RT, another then syncing over WLAN?

In the former version of Evernote Touch I simply copied the DB from my Windows8 Pro and it worked also on my Surface RT but with the new Evernote Touch version this seems not to work anymore.

So now I dont even have a Workaround!

Any help or hint would be appreciated, currently it is impossible to use Evernote Touch for my business, but I would need it!

Hi From Belgium,

Same for me I've upgraded my Surface 2 days ago... same problem.

I've try to reinstall Evernote from the beginning to try... Same problem.   :(((

I've more than 1800 notes in evernote, and the Surface evernote crash after 200 notes loaded... :(((((

Crazy that Evernote programmers can't create correctly a software on windows RT!  Shame on you! it's now 6 month without using WindowsRT tablet evernote!!!

Android,Mac and windows versions are really very very good but Windows RT version... :((((

Stephane D.

www.diamondsoftware.net

Hi,

I managed yesterday to get all my notes synced to Evernote Touch on my Surface RT.

As it was obvious that the whole notes are not syncronized at once I tried to do it in pieces.

I assume that at any time the transfered data is to much to be processed, for what reason ever.

So what I did was to sit in front of my surface and close the Evernote Touch app all approx. 2-4 minutes.

In my split screen I monitored with the Windows Task Manager the data transfered over the WLAN.

It took me approx. 2 hours but I finally got all notes synced an it works now.

The daily update syncs made no problem so far.

I had only one crash after collecting a photo note, but after restart the note was there and nothing got lost.

I am able to work now and I appreciate it, but looking forward to further improvements to the Evernote Touch App :-)

I just wanted to let you know, it may help anyone.

I've updated to the latest version of Evernote Touch on my RT, along with all of the system updates: program will now load, but crashes every time I try to add a new note.

Also, I have a password protected note, but there does not seem to be any way to enter the unlock code on a RT device. On other devices, you click on the grey box, and get a popup where you enter the password to unlock.  On ET, you can click for three days but will never get a prompt to unlock, so there's no way to access protected notes. #Fail

Sigh...I wish EN worked for Surface RT & Pro. Sure I can log into the website from my desktop browser, but the app is awful. I just can't get it to sync. It looks great but it crashes constantly.

My solution - OneNote. I've always used it a bit, but Evernote's been my primary tool. Now I've switched over to ON as primary since they have apps across the platforms I use as well (iphone, ipad, win 7, winRT, win8). But I still really wish EN worked.

Anybody have any tips on getting it to do the intial sync without dying? Other than try to manually guess at when to close it and incrementally sync? Or installing the beta? I've already killed an hour or so going through install/uninstall/reinstall. It looks like some people are using it successfully though. Would love to hear if they did anything special.

Sigh...I wish EN worked for Surface RT & Pro. Sure I can log into the website from my desktop browser, but the app is awful. I just can't get it to sync. It looks great but it crashes constantly.

My solution - OneNote. I've always used it a bit, but Evernote's been my primary tool. Now I've switched over to ON as primary since they have apps across the platforms I use as well (iphone, ipad, win 7, winRT, win8). But I still really wish EN worked.

Anybody have any tips on getting it to do the intial sync without dying? Other than try to manually guess at when to close it and incrementally sync? Or installing the beta? I've already killed an hour or so going through install/uninstall/reinstall. It looks like some people are using it successfully though. Would love to hear if they did anything special.

Would love to get your activity logs... if you have time pls PM me

no luck here either: just re-installed Evernote Touch on my Surface RT and it has now been syncing for over 1 hour, nothing visible on the main screen except for "Syncing" alternating between either 0% or 100%

• 4 weeks later...

I'm Evernote user since 2 Years . I try to use Evernote on Windows RT Dell XPS 10 . After 1-2 Minutes during sync is crashing . I Have the newest Version , everything is up to date on my system .  

I was searching by internet , many users have the same problem . Crash during the Sync -

best regards

tomasz berdowski

Tried Evernote on a Dell XPS10 earlier in the year but gave up as it would never sync without crashing. The Dell was one I was testing, so it had to go back.

I've now got a Surface RT for testing but Evernote has exactly the same problem. No progress on fixing such a major failure in 6 months!

Is there anyone out there who is able to use Evernote on RT?

Nick

This problem has been the same for me since I got it last year.  It is less now, but still happens. 

I now have a WTF moment as a note was opened, nothing appeared, restarted the app and the note is now empty...everything inside it is gone.  This is beyond BAD and exactly what an app like this should NEVER do.  I've lost irreplaceable information that I thought was better protected in the cloud than on a device that could be stolen or lost as I travel.  I was wrong.

If you are a company that strives for a good reputation, please make sure that the apps you release work well when you are dealing with important information.

Hi From Belgium,

starting my windows RT tablet today.... Ho! Surprise! A new update for EVERNOTE! :) ...Update..... Starting.... Sync......  CRASH!!!

CRAZY! after 6 month Evernote company can't resolve their bugs.

I begin to think that they don't support anymore Windows RT version and THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT IT... :( :( :( :( :(

NOT FAIR! :( :( :( :(

Hi From Belgium,

starting my windows RT tablet today.... Ho! Surprise! A new update for EVERNOTE! :) ...Update..... Starting.... Sync......  CRASH!!!

CRAZY! after 6 month Evernote company can't resolve their bugs.

I begin to think that they don't support anymore Windows RT version and THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT IT... :( :( :( :( :(

NOT FAIR! :( :( :( :(

Would you mind PMing me your activity log?

Hi

I've just received my surface RT, and after having updated the OS, tried to sync my evernote.

It keeps on crashing.

if i look in the eventvwr it gives an exception in libsqlite.dll number 0x0000005

additionally a fault offset of 0x0000bf63

does that help in finding out what goes wrong?

Bas

I am having the same crash issues. DLU, you asked that we PM the activity logs. I'm new to the forum and may have overlooked it but where do I find the logs you wish to see? I will be glad to send them as this issue is forcing me too use OneNote and I prefer EN.

Thanks

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

When are you guys going to get your act together for this?  It is quite embarrassing when I am trying to take notes on my RT and Evernote keeps crashing.  It's not exactly a great endorsement for you either now is it!  Most of my clients are left with that "Yeah ... I'll stick with OneNote, thanks" feeling at this point.

I have been through support, sent you my logs, I can't even get the app to start anymore!

Damn close to moving back to OneNote myself.

Just as a cross-check, I installed the Metro Windows Store version on my Win8.0 laptop and let it loose, downloading nearly 12,000 notes. The UI utterly fails at that scale especially lacking a touch screen, but it is certainly robust.

So the problem is not so much inherent in that version of the software as being on an RT.

Hi, all. I just ordered a Windows 8 tablet (not an RT) and I was wondering if it's even worth installing EN Touch on it.  I don't have the tablet yet, but I thought a little preparation is in order.

Will the EN for Windows work fine on a Win 8 tablet? Or do I have to install EN Touch?  If I have the option to install either, which version is more stable for a tablet at this point? Are the two comparable in terms of features?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

In addition to my RT device, I have  Lenovo Twist, running full Win 8. I use the regular Evernote on a daily basis, installing and running it from the Desktop mode, and I've not had a single issue with it.

Hey, AGB.  Are you able to run both the desktop version of EN and the Metro app version on the Twist without a problem? It's beginning to sound now that I'm going to have to rely on the desktop EN if I need to get things done.

Sorry, I should have been more clear: the desktop version is perfect, the Metro version has all the same issues as my RT tablet

Thanks, that's good to hear. I just ordered a tablet (Lenovo Lynx), so we'll see.  Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as powerful as the Twist, so I anticipate my experience will be different.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this problem: Surface RT with all the latest updates and it keeps crashing while syncing. I have the latest evernote touch version (as of 1st October 2013).

I have ~1400 notes evernote always crashes on RT when it is syncing on note 736.  

I also have a Windows Phone 7.8 and Desktop accounts that work perfectly. 

I've attached the last logs that were generated to the Evernote directory.

Can anybody on the Evernote team provide any assistance on what is happening - I'm assuming that a one specific note is forcing the application crash.

In the mean time I have staring to use Microsoft OneNote as a note taking replacement.

Logs.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had tried this already, but I just logged out of Evernote and then back in and it actually synchronized my data without crashing.  (Was previously crashing every time it tried to sync.)  I made some changes and sync'd back out and that seems to have worked as well.

YMMV, but thought it might help.

Same with mine. It worked for about a day. Does anyone know if they're working on this? I use evermore for everything so if its not getting an update soon i'll have to toss the rt. Id send my logs but I don't know how to do it.

The good folks at Evernote just must not have RT as any sort of priority. I was really hoping that moving to a Surface 2 would fix the well chronicled issues with Evernote Touch on that platform. That is sadly not the case. I experience all of this issues chronicled in this thread, can't get notes to sync, crashes, etc... Also noticed last night that in attempting to share a screen shot of a Word Document to Evenote Touch on the Surface 2 that nothing occurs. Literally nothing. The screenshot doesn't appear in any Evernote notebook easily accessible on other devices.

They should just pull the App until they get it fixed.

I think the lack of communication is what's disappointing to me. If I knew they were working on it I would be willing to stick it out but I'm afraid I would be waiting indefinitely. Its too bad, I was a premium user and was glad to pay for the service but evernote is most useful to me because it syncs across platforms and devices so not having the RT working is a game changer. Anyway, I've converted my notebooks to folders and my notes to word docs. I can still tag files in windows 8 so for now I think I'm done with evernote.

I've given up on Evernote because of this.  At first I was excited that the Windows RT client showed up, since I thought that meant I could finally have all the same notes across my Surface RT, iPhone, MacBook, and Windows machines.  Because of this I've migrated everything to OneNote.  They're only missing a native Mac client (so far), but the OneNote web app works perfectly well on the Mac.

There's simply no reason to use Evernote if you own a Surface RT.

• 1 month later...

Embarrassing? It's beyond embarrassing how a company would actually take money for a product and provide such dismal support. They actually had the nerve to send me a survey the other day on my ticket after they basically told me there was nothing they could do (which was the same thing they told me when I called in with the problem) - asking if I was satisfied.

Just crazy. 

Yes, this is a bit frustrating as the only thing we can do is to cancel out premium accounts (as I did). It only adds to frustration when Evernote clients start pestering us with "announcements" like "use Evernote to plan, your holiday meal", "quick tip: 5 ways to use Evernote of your tablet".....

BTW, here is my correspondence with Evernote support on the crashing issue:

ME:

Evernote Touch crashes 10 seconds after start up. It crashes so fast that I can't even copy activity log. I have never managed to complete the initial full sync. Only 811 notes are synced and when the app tries to sync further it crashes. I guess there is a note which causes problems during the sync. As I wrote I can't copy activity logs, can you please see on your side if there is any particular note that causes the problem? Of do you have any other suggestions. P.s. I have already tried reinstalling the app and it didn't help. Thanks

SUPPORT:

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your Windows Evernote application.

Here are instructions on obtaining a log from an application that will not open:

Please open the "My Computer" tool from Windows, and then paste the following into the "browser" bar:
(Windows XP)

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Evernote\Logs
(Windows Vista/7)
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

This should open the logfiles folder. Please attach the most recent files to a reply to this email.

ME:

Thanks for your message. As I wrote, I have issues with Evernote Touch (i.e. Evernote for Windows 8) and I can not copy activity logs as the app keeps crashing.

SUPPORT:

I apologize for the mistake. Here are the instructions for your machine:

Please open up the Charm bar, and under Settings > Customer Service > Select "Copy Activity Logs to Clipboard"

Reply to this message with the log.

ME:

Thanks again, but as I wrote, I can not copy activity logs because the app keeps crashing. Please kindly read my message:

Evernote Touch crashes 10 seconds after start up. It crashes so fast that I can't even copy activity log. I have never managed to complete the initial full sync. Only 811 notes are synced and when the app tries to sync further it crashes. I guess there is a note which causes problems during the sync. As I wrote I can't copy activity logs, can you please see on your side if there is any particular note that causes the problem? Of do you have any other suggestions. P.s. I have already tried reinstalling the app and it didn't help. Thanks

SUPPORT:

I have escalated your ticket to a Senior Specialist, they will contact you back as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

If memory issues and alike are making it impossible to sync 1000+ notes with Evernote Touch who about syncing just a single notebook? One that is dedicated to Evernote Touch, one with just a few notes.

My fellow users, what do you think about it?

Evernote, do you copy?

If I were them I would try any solution, even temporarily, to make EN Touch ever barely usable.... In the meantime, it seems that our only note taking option is OneNote, which is a great app and works flawlessly. After you create notes in OneNote you can email them to Evernote if you like 

I am testing a Surface 2 and sadly Evernote Touch is unusable because as soon as it opens, it crashes within 30 seconds.  I will not start using One Note because I have nearly 5 years of notes on Evernote.  It simply means that through no fault of Microsoft I will have to move to another device to use this critical app.  This seems to be an obvious problem with the Win 8 platform that the Evernote team is either unable to fix or unwilling to dedicate the resources to fix the problem at its root. 

I agree with the contributor from Belgium...Shame on Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I see this thread started a while ago (I just got my surface)

I also get EN close a couple of seconds after I open so its unusable, HOWEVER a VERY easy fix is to use the browser version on the desktop.

I used it with great success today and I don't miss the app at all.

So I don't see no reason why you're giving yourself a reason to move to one note and maybe soon to something else, or change your surface  for another crappy tablet.

Hope this helps someone out there..

All the best and happy EN

Using the browser is a nice tip but relies on being able to access the network.

For many people, the entire point of a tablet solution is having something they can use offline, either because they are in-flight or have too low a cellular data bandwidth to handle the amount of data they need.

So, some of us mobile users still want robust offline clients on tablets.

Same situation here. Evernote on my Surface 2 is unusable. It's slow and buggy. And I'm talking about reading 211 notes, not creating notes, which is a no go from the start. At this stage, I take all my notes using OneNote and copy/paste them in Evernote from my desktop. The difference between the 2 is not even worth mentioning. 

For several weeks now, Evernote crashes at start. I have to uninstall the application and reinstall it again. Then synchronize everything (not the images, it doesn't work). Then It works until I use the webclipper from my Desktop on an article with images. Then crashes again. Can't start, can't read the logs, support is useless, developers are silent, no roadmap.

I bought my Surface 2 assuming Evernote was working, at least was usable, I was not expecting a polished application, just something which works.

I won't stop using Evernote, it works well (very well) on my Mac and my Nexus 5. But I can tell you: You should not advertised Evernote on Windows 8. It's simply not working. It's not even competing with indie developers' 2.99$ adware bloated applications. You're doing more harm than good to your company by releasing "this type" of application. It raises a red flag which says : "Be ready to switch if something goes wrong". 

I am also experiencing this sync issue with Evernote on Windows 8.1 RT. The application has synced 700+ notes, but still 1,200 or so to go, but the crash happens as described after about 10 seconds or so.

Is there a place where we can request that the full Evernote Windows app be made available in the Windows Store for Windows RT?  I understand that the current application only needs to be compiled for the ARM processor. There may be much more to it that I am not aware of, but I think this would be worthwhile asking, until Evernote can invest some resources in Evernote Touch.

I've also found Evernote to be generally unstable on Windows RT. However, since an update that was applied on 15th January 2014 (not sure how to work out the actual version number), things seem to have improved. In the last couple of weeks, I've had very few crashes and have actually (tentatively) started to use the app again, instead of One Note.

Anyone else noticed changes?

I raised a ticket on Friday and was asked to send in the logs. These logs, however, were not available for copy before the app crashed.

I rely on EN too much for this to continue. So I've taken drastic action. I am using a Surface 2 so it was relatively easy for me to backup files to Skydrive and take a couple of hours to reset the unit to default factory settings. First thing I did when back online was installed Evernote and synced. All notes have synced and so far it seem to be stable. I'm actually impressed that as I've reinstalling apps, some of the settings are retained. This is obviously not going to be an option for most people, but if starting over with your PC is an option for you, you at least know it worked for me.

I'd still like to see Evernote make the standard Evernote app available on Windows RT and I'd still like to see them fix the Evernote Touch app. I'll feed this back through the ticket which will now likely be closed.

Archived