Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Skitch for Windows Desktop 2.0 Beta

skitch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 737 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Hello everyone!

We'd like to announce the first Skitch Windows Desktop beta.

New in this version (2.0.0.7):

• A fresh new user interface (built from the ground up) that takes advantage of the new design style set forth by Microsoft as part of Windows 8.
  • Bug fixes

Known Issues:

• There are occasions when that may result in a duplicate note being created.
  • We have removed sharing while we rework it.
  • There are still some dialog boxes which may pop up and not be skinned withe new look.
  • You may see an error message when saving to Evernote <- These error messages can be ignored. The note will still be saved.

• Saved notes may display as an icon instead of the full image when viewed inside Evernote. The note is fully functional.

After you've had a chance to check it out please share with us any feedback you might have on the new user interface or the sharing features. 

Skitch for Windows Desktop 2.0 can be downloaded via this link: CURRENTLY DISABLED

Thanks for trying Skitch for Windows Desktop 2.0 out and we look forward to getting your feedback.

------
Joe
Head of Skitch
Skitch is available for the following clients: Mac, iOS, Android, Windows 8, and Windows 32.
http://evernote.com/skitch

#2 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Installed it, and will play with it. :)

Only issue so far (aside from the error messages :P) is the size selector.

It is a little difficult to select a size without dragging the slider. I typically want to click on the level that I want to use, but the clickable area is quite small, making this a little difficult.

Saved notes may display as an icon instead of the full image when viewed inside Evernote. The note is fully functional.

Looking at an exported note, is this a mime issue?

It seems to be set as <mime>application/octet-stream</mime> whereas <mime>image/png</mime> shows the image when I import it back in.

Scott

#3 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I got an update notification. As before, the updater wanted admin rights, and proceeded to try and install to Program Files (x86).

As usual, Skitch (along with Evernote) is installed in Appdata as a result of the limited rights so I have to direct it into that folder, which is really tedious in the select folder window...

I think it should be able to check where it is installed, no?

Scott

#4 Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez

• 737 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

@Scott - Thanks for the feedback about the selector, we'll look at adjusting the size of the area where you can click to make it easier to select a size.

Are you using an account without admin rights to install? If so, then the app is trying to behave correctly. The app tries to install directly to Program Files (x86) by default, but if you are are using a standard account type and not an admin Windows tries to install to the user directory for that account. 

We try to install to the main Program Files folder directly because then Skitch will be accessible to all users. 

We'll look into the installer and see if there is anything else we can do to make this an easier process. 

------
Joe
Head of Skitch
Skitch is available for the following clients: Mac, iOS, Android, Windows 8, and Windows 32.

#5 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Are you using an account without admin rights to install? If so, then the app is trying to behave correctly. The app tries to install directly to Program Files (x86) by default, but if you are are using a standard account type and not an admin Windows tries to install to the user directory for that account.

Correct, this is a limited account, so Skitch installs to %APPDATA%. But the updater defaults to Program Files (since it is running as admin) so doesn't recognise that there is already an installed version.

The problem is that the original installer doesn't ask for admin rights, so there is the possibility for this to happen to others, and the updater simply install to somewhere else.

Perhaps it could check the location of the installation via the registry?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Skitch.exe

Something else I have noticed. It saves a registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Skitch\authtoken

containing my password in plaintext. I imagine that this is something that would not be welcomed by to many.

#6 Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez

• 737 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Scott - Good point. Probably something we can check for. The updater is the full installer, but we can investigate adding a check for previous install directory and prompt to install there.

------
Joe
Head of Skitch

#7 sahlsmith

sahlsmith

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Process socket error.

Repro:

• Downloaded and installed Skitch
  • Prompted for Update
  • Downloaded and installed Skitch Update
  • Screen Capture of Outlook
  • Added arrow
  • Added text
  • Clicked on Add to Evernote
  • Prompted to login
  • Completed login authentication
  • Clicked on Add to Evernote
  • Process socket error dialog box appeared

Attached File  2-26-2013 10-17-13 AM.pdf   198.26KB   2 downloads

Environment:

• Dell Inc. Precision M4500 0001
  • Windows 7 Enterprise (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
  • 2.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7 X 920
  • 64 kilobyte primary memory
  • 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
  • 8192 kilobyte tertiary memory
  • 64-bit ready
  • Multi-core (4 total)
  • Hyper-threaded (8 total)
  • 16374 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

#8 Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez

• 737 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

@sahlsmith - Thanks for reporting that issue. We're trying to fix it for the next update. 

------
Joe
Head of Skitch

#9 hakan

hakan

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

There seems to be a new update to version 2.0.0.7. Can we please have a changelog for this update?

#10 Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez

• 737 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks hakan - Updating the main note at the top.

------
Joe
Head of Skitch

#11 allen

allen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

It tells me "Note Creation Timed Out" -- and no note is added to Evernote. 

It hasn't asked for my password, so I'm assuming it still has the old pre-security-snafu password. Is there any way to log out?

#12 Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez

• 737 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Skitch does not currently have that feature. We are working on a new beta build which will address these issues. For now you will not be able to save. Once we have a new release we'll start a new Skitch Windows Desktop beta thread.

------
Joe
Head of Skitch

#13 allen

allen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Skitch does not currently have that feature. We are working on a new beta build which will address these issues. For now you will not be able to save. Once we have a new release we'll start a new Skitch Windows Desktop beta thread.

Ok, thanks. This beta is a lot prettier than 1.x but I think I'll switch back for the time being, as saving is kinda useful :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, skitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote