(Archived) Evernote 5.0.6 Beta 2 for Mac

Jackolicious

Idea

55 replies to this idea

【8】 SUGGESTION: BLACK AND WHITE

I have to agree that the gray-on-gray color scheme brings some accessibility issues. On the other hand, I think there should not be too many colors either. For example, I've found the large and ornamental icons in Evernote 5 slightly distracting from the beginning. In a note taking app the focus should be on the content - not on the UI elements.

I actually used CMD+CTRL+N for years using the new note pop-up window in Evernote. I like to work in Think which declutters the screen and then keep using CMD+CTRL+N to make new notes and working in that way. I don't mind the new note capture at the top being added but I wish the old functionality wouldn't be taken away. Is there any way to have shortcuts for both functions, for people that prefer to work with a pop-up that you can center and move on the screen?

I don't like the new CMD+CTRL+N. Now I'm going to have to bring EN to the front and hit CMD+N so that I can set the title, write the body copy, and choose a tag.....and then double-click the new note to get it in a new window. The old way was much better for my needs.

Bug:

When I drag an attachment to the quick note interface and make a new note, the attachment will still be there next time i ⌘-Ctrl-N and needs to be cleared before I can make a new note.

Also, the wording in the quick note interface is misleading: It implies dragging files  will create note. But dragging files creates notes.

Edit: Actually, this is probably a mistake on my part and not a bug.

Below issue still persists in the new beta. See the former Evernote 5.0.6. Topic

Just clipped a
picture to evernote. When trying to (right-click on the picture in the
note) and choosing preview or skitch from the "Open With" option,
Evernote crashes.

Latest Mac OSX with all updates

Reproduce 1:
- go to a note that contains an image;
- context-click (right-click) on the picture in the note, the picture is blue-highlighted and the context menu appears;
- click outside the context menu, the context menu disappears, the picture is still blue-highlighted;
- click on the blue-highlighted picture;
- watch as the app crashes.

Reproduce 2:
- context-click (right-click) on the picture in the note, the picture is blue-highlighted and the context menu appears;
- from the "Open With" context menu option choose (click on) - for example - "Skitch" ("Preview" will also work)

Hope this gets fixed in the next release.

Loving the Evernote service btw, keep up the good work!

Below issue still persists in the new beta. See the former Evernote 5.0.6. Topic

Just clipped a

Evernote crashes.

Reproduce 1:

- click outside the context menu, the context menu disappears, the picture is still blue-highlighted;

Reproduce 2:

- from the "Open With" context menu option choose (click on) - for example - "Skitch" ("Preview" will also work)

I cannot reproduce this.

I installed the beta the other day, it replaced/overwrote my current Evernote client. I used it once or twice at most. Today I got onto my imac and the Evernote icon was the generic mac app icon. When I clicked to launch the app, the crash dialog came up stating "Evernote failed to launch...make sure it can run on mac os x"...asking me to send the info to Evernote. I did. So I deleted it and will try to re-install the beta now.

• Level 5*

【16】 BUG: SIGN-IN SCREEN

• I had the sign-in screen pop up today, and then my account loaded, but the screen is still there in the background. I have not logged out today or done anything different (that I know of) since yesterday, when it was working fine.

Just clipped a

Evernote crashes.

Reproduce 1:

Reproduce 2:

I cannot reproduce this.

I've reinstalled Evernote (after removing it via Forklift) and the problem is still there. Check this screen recording:

Evernote bug

• Level 5*

【17】 BUG: NOTE LINKS

• Selecting a note in the center column and dragging it into a note open in another window produces the long link in blue rather than the note link in green.
  • Yes, this has completely "broken" my workflow (I usually create hundreds of note links at once by dragging them into notes), and I am now having to rely on tags to tie things together. I can do it, but I'd rather have my old functionality back. Don't make me change :)

The new quick note is a good idea, and reminds me of the user friendly Day One diary app. The autotitle is truncated too much when making the note. Please make the title longer. And I agree with pgdahl. This feature is currently counter productive in the current state, but has good potential when getting the full features incorporated reg tags/notebook selection. Since v5 I have been looking for alternatives to Evernote because you dropped a whole bunch of features. After 5-10 support requests you added them back.. thank you.... so I come back to try once more. But please don't remove features when releasing new public versions.... However... when using beta versions we have to be patient :-) A good comeback for v5 after a rather disappointing introduction.

• Level 5*

I actually love the way the Quick Note is functioning right now. My organization method is mostly GTD, especially in the sense that I ALWAYS dump into an inbox before sorting, unless I have enough time to sort then and there. So for me, the Quick Note feature is perfect the way it is, though I can understand changing back the keyboard shortcut. I love that it stays as a single note until you Save, as I spend a lot of time copy/pasting from various sources and conversations. This lets me build up a note without it taking up screen real estate the entire time. So, I actually hope you DON'T incorporate the titling/tagging into Quick Note, or at least give us the option to hide it if you do. It's short and sweet and I love it the way it is! ;)

I hit what could be a bug today, however. At my workplace I scan in documents from our copy machine to a local drive, where I then Right Click → Open With... → Evernote to create a note with the PDF. What this does is open a new note with the PDF — as well as open a second instance of Evernote. At first I didn't notice because my dock is an unholy mess, but while I still had Evernote open (twice) I tried to forward emails to my Evernote from my work PC and it wouldn't go through, citing this: http://chir.me/Ou5L . This prompted me to investigate, discover the second opening, and close it. Once only one instance was open, my emails had no trouble going through.

• Level 5*

【15】 BUG: COPY / PASTE

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/ea2a54f8-14f1-4369-bf1d-eb3783ce0251/7a0420357211506fc72e1b9c2d4147e0

Current issue that exists only in 5.0.6 Beta 2 client is readout of account's monthly usage.

In the image below, the top is the account usage read through the web interface, bottom image is through the beta client. In iOS apps, for iPad and iPhone, readout is same as in web interface.

e5EZgCkl.png

Currently running beta on 10.8.2, contact via profile if more information is needed.

• Level 5*

Current issue that exists only in 5.0.6 Beta 2 client is readout of account's monthly usage.

In the image below, the top is the account usage read through the web interface, bottom image is through the beta client. In iOS apps, for iPad and iPhone, readout is same as in web interface.

e5EZgCkl.png

Currently running beta on 10.8.2, contact via profile if more information is needed.

Hi. Have you synced and emptied your trash?

• Level 5*

I have not, nor would I like to empty my trash.

Hi. If you have not synced, the usage amount shows what you have put into your account from your desktop's perspective -- it is saying that IF you sync, THEN this amount of your upload allowance will be used. In that sense, it is correct, and it is quite useful if you are watching your usage and want to remove some items before syncing in order not to hit your limit. 

Hi. If you have not synced, the usage amount shows what you have put into your account from your desktop's perspective -- it is saying that IF you sync, THEN this amount of your upload allowance will be used. In that sense, it is correct, and it is quite useful if you are watching your usage and want to remove some items before syncing in order not to hit your limit. 

Desktop beta client is fully synced and usage is still showing discrepancy.

• Level 5*

Desktop beta client is fully synced and usage is still showing discrepancy.

Oh. I thought you said you have not synced. Well, if you have synced, then it may be your trash. How much stuff have you got in there?

That's fine. But FYI, from Dave Engberg (CTO of EN)...

The client keeps its own local calculation of how much unsynchronized data is sitting on that client, potentially available for upload. This allows it to enforce the limit correctly without relying on the server to fail.

The client counts any notes towards your "virtual" upload quota if they were created in a synchronized notebook and not synchronized.

This can be a little confusing if you make a big note and then put it in the Trash before you sync. The client counts that note against your quota so that you can safely remove it from the Trash without going over your limit. If you empty the Trash on the client, it will clear those out and free up the quota.

So as long as you have notes in your trash that were never sync'd to the EN servers, your desktop client will never be in sync with what the web client shows.  With this large of a discrepancy,  you're well on your way to the point where you won't be able to enter any new notes on your desktop, even after your cycle refreshes.  IDK why you are averse to emptying the trash.  You can always create a backup of your database (please search the message board for more info, should you need it), then empty the trash. 

Hi

I'm still having problems getting my notes to move to the appropriate folder. I'm in my inbox folder and I selected the correct folder on the note but it won't leave the inbox even if I sync.

Any suggestions.

Here's an example

Ooooh, I just grabbed the new Beta, and I must say that it's slicker than a dolphin's wiener.

I haven't had much time to torture test it, but from what I've seen so far, me ruv it wrong time.

I especially like the drop-down quick note from the menu bar.  Best release yet.

Way to go, guys.  

• Level 5*

【10】 BUG: NUMBERED LISTS

• I hesitate to mention this, because there are so many issues to sort out here, and we already know these numbered lists are quirky. Still, I figured I'd bring up one particular bug.
  • Create some text, put in an <hr> line, start a list, and then try to delete the first number. As far as I know, it cannot be done without deleting the totally unrelated <hr> line. See video below.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/ea2a54f8-14f1-4369-bf1d-eb3783ce0251/7a0420357211506fc72e1b9c2d4147e0

I really like the Quick Note -functionality. Nice to have a truly useful feature that adds to productivity - haven't had such in a while.

A suggestion: I think the dialog should close itself always whenever I click outside it. That also applies to the menu bar (blank area or on other icons there). This is how similar apps (e.g. Fantastical) work.

The other issues related to the internal HTML-like representation of notes are still there unfortunately (cannot remove a <h1>-heading on top of a note, markup ends up being easily cluttered with styles, extra spans and divs etc.). I really wish Evernote used Markdown instead... But I guess you can't have everything  :)

Good job on this release, though!

Oh! More puzzling and counterproductive features coming to Evernote just in time for the weekend? Woohoo.

Sorry about the sarcasme, but although I do like the idea of using Evernote to scrabble down quick notes, this is a disappointing solution. 

I am was a using ⌘+Ctrl+N heavily system wide, where I could not only add note content but also add a title, tag the note and sort it in the right folder right away. Now I have to go into the inbox after the fact to do all this (unless I am already in the Evernote main window, that is - but that's not where ⌘+Ctrl+N used to be useful). I guess I'll have to resort to ⌘+Ctrl+V in the future instead; it is easier removing the clipboard content than deal with untagged, untitled notes cluttering my inbox folder because I promptly forget about them ...

There's also a couple of menu entries that needs two clicks instead of one with this new menu; I did not use them much, but it is not an improvement. Also, still no FaceTime-note shortcut? Or keyboard shortcuts for audio- and FaceTime? Now that would be introducing something useful!

• Level 5*

【1】 BUG: HELPER

• Pressing CMD + CTRL + N brought up the dialogue box, pressing the screenshot icon on the left took the screenshot, trying to delete the screenshot by right-clicking brought up the menu choices shown in the screenshot, but I couldn't select anything. Pressing escape, going into the helper, and then right-clicking worked. 
  •  I have not been able to reproduce this behavior.

• Level 5*

【2】 SUGGESTION: HELPER

• I don't see this feature being especially useful for me, because I cannot create a title for the note. Would it be possible to add that feature into the quick note? This would be a huge benefit. I don't use different tags or notebooks often, but I am sure many people do, so adding that might be a good idea as well. I know that the title is derived from the first line of the note, and so mimics the Windows behavior, but the main app doesn't work this way, so I do not see the point in this (how many people will actually figure out what is happening if it only occurs with the little elephant so few people even know exists?). If you changed the behavior of the main app, then that would be nice :)
  • In addition, the first line of the note then becomes the snippet text, so you basically have snippets with the same information (the title) repeated twice. It is a little unwieldy in practice, isn't it? Maybe I would be less bothered by this if we had a vertical list view, and I didn't see the snippet text anymore :)
  • Level 5*

【3】 BUG: RELATED NOTES (?)

•  
  • Search for a term, going to a note, and trying to edit the content off the screen above the located term will force the screen to leap back down to the term. I first discovered this as I was trying to edit the titles of several hundred notes that had the same code at the bottom of the note. The screen jumps down to the code, I scroll to the title, I start editing, and then it jumps back down to the bottom of the note, and I have to go back to the title to edit again. 
  •  
  • Why is it doing this? I believe it is generating the related notes, and that is why this happens, because if I search and find a term in a note that already has related notes, I cannot replicate the behavior. It only seems to occur with notes that do not have them already generated. 
  •  
  • This is an old bug, but I just couldn't figure out until now why it was happening. Well, I still don't know, but I suspect the related notes are the culprit. 
  •  
  • See the video below for the bug in action (see esp. :04-:06). 
  •  

• Level 5*

【4】 BUG: COPY/PASTE

• We all know that copy/paste out of Evernote on Mac does not work well. See the screenshot for one example. The original is here in this note and the garbled version is showing in the forum post. Please fix this problem, especially the extra line breaks that double space sections. It is terribly inconvenient to have to run everything through another program just to copy/paste out of Evernote. This is a longstanding issue, and not just one related to the bullet points.

• Level 5*

【6】 SUGGESTION: TELL US ABOUT NEW FEATURES

• When did we get some basic navigation within the Trunk space? In the top left corner, we can now go home, and if memory serves me, this was not there the last time I looked (November?).
  • By the way, if you want me to go to the Trunk more, it needs to be searchable, have some other navigation options, and alert me to new/changed apps/deals, but that is a topic for a whole other thread. Perhaps you might want to consider ads in the sidebar! https://www.evernote.com/pub/mayochristopher/evernoteads

• Level 5*

【2】 SUGGESTION: HELPER

• I don't see this feature being especially useful for me, because I cannot create a title for the note. Would it be possible to add that feature into the quick note? This would be a huge benefit. I don't use different tags or notebooks often, but I am sure many people do, so adding that might be a good idea as well. I know that the title is derived from the first line of the note, and so mimics the Windows behavior, but the main app doesn't work this way, so I do not see the point in this (how many people will actually figure out what is happening if it only occurs with the little elephant so few people even know exists?). If you changed the behavior of the main app, then that would be nice :)
  • In addition, the first line of the note then becomes the snippet text, so you basically have snippets with the same information (the title) repeated twice. It is a little unwieldy in practice, isn't it? Maybe I would be less bothered by this if we had a vertical list view, and I didn't see the snippet text anymore  :)

Got to be able to add title, tags and notebook here otherwise you are creating an organisational nightmare.

• Level 5*

• Please reconsider the gray on gray color scheme. I know, this is an old complaint of mine, but I am wondering why it is still here! 
  • I am sure that some thought went into this, but I just cannot see the benefits for me as a user. It is difficult to see, right? I have great eyesight -- I work on an 11" MBA and don't mind poor resolution or tiny characters for all of my work, but it is only in Evernote that I feel like things are fuzzy and indistinguishable. Surely, it isn't just me who thinks it makes sense to have black on white. From a usability / accessibility perspective, it seems strikingly obvious to me, but maybe I just need to be schooled in design.
  • In the first screenshot below, tell me that you think the trash icon, the people sharing my trash (why are people sharing my trash?), and even the gray on gray of the snippet view ("who") is easier to see than this text I have written right here black on white.
  • Surely, the second screenshot below is a joke, right? You cannot honestly tell me that the name of the stack in the screenshot below is legible (it says 公用). I really think this gray on gray thing is bizarre, and I strongly recommend you reconsider this from an accessibility perspective.

• Level 5*

【9】 BUG: ATLAS

• My notes are not being counted / geo-located properly. I just emptied out my account of all but a handful of notes (it is a long story), and re-imported about 7,000+ notes a day or two ago, but only some of them got counted by Atlas. Why? The same computer, the same location, and the exact same information. Yet, a different note count. See the screenshots below. 

There is one reason CMD+CTRL+N is a very bad choice for the new note creation shortcut. Since OS X Lion was introduced, CMD+CTRL+N is Apple's default Finder shortcut for 'New Folder With Items'.

See: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120816120534470.

Evernote basically hijacks this very useful Finder shortcut by choosing the same one for its own purposes. I always disabled it in EN prefs in the past.

Are the EN team so presumptuous as to feel justified in overriding even Apple's conventions?

• Level 5*

【11】 BUG: ACCOUNT USAGE

• I think a two-day discrepancy between two clients is too much, invites confusion, and is kind of meaningless if it is so far off the actual number of days left in a month (whatever that is). See screenshots below from the Mac and Web clients. The first one (gray on gray, of course) is from the Mac, and the second one is from the Web (gray on white isn't a whole lot better).
  • For your information, my account dates from the 17th, so I would guess that I actually have something like 23 days left, but I suppose that depends on how you count stuff. Why not just have something like: "Your upload allowance resets on March 17, in 23 days"?

• Level 5*

【12】 BUG: SEARCH

• I've reported this for a few months (?) now. Somehow, my notes are being filtered so that nothing appears. This is an issue I encounter on a daily basis. At some point, I will do a search and I won't find anything. I clear it all and try again, and then I see the notes. It is kind of frustrating, especially when there is time pressure.
  • The first screenshot below is the failed search. The second one is the successful one. 
  • Am I doing something wrong? I really wish I had more data to work with, because in my opinion, what I see (the search information in the search field) ought to be what I get. 

• Level 5*

【14】 BUG: MOVE NOTEBOOKS SPACING

• The spacing between my notebooks displayed in the dialog box for the move notebooks option is odd. Between evernoteads and the next notebook there is a bunch of open space. Why? See screenshot below.

To add to my previous and very immediate response, I've discovered that *each* item you drag to a "Quick Note" produces a new note each. This seems weird; you'd expect you were creating one note only as with the old ⌘+Ctrl+N functionality. Is this intentional? (Re-reading before posting, and realising it probably is ... and I can see a use for it. But this quicknoteamajig should go and get its own keyboard command instead of hijacking the good, old ⌘+Ctrl+N.) 

Also, I discovered - which is a slight sooth - that a Quick Note will be given a title based on the first line of text. However, it seems it just counts characters and ignores linebreaks (see this example); it would be helpful if only characters on the first line of text would be counted and used for title. I am still in favor of being able to manually add titles, notebooks and tags. Or at least let me tell Evernote to put Quick Notes into a specified notebook.

There are also issues with what happens with the new Quick Note popup when you are already doing stuff inside Evernote. If you're using multiple monitors working with Evernote on the secondary one, you suddenly find yourself typing in that tiny new popup on the other monitor instead of just giving me a new note. It even pops down when I am in fullscreen mode. Honestly? Just give me a new note! I am right here anyways! I anticipate, someone will reply: "But you can always click on the "New note"-button" Yes. Or a couple of times if I actually intend to have the note in a different notebook from the one I am working one. Afterwards it's a trivial thing to have to click back to were I was. Of course. 

• Level 5

Noted til here. 

Titling/tagging will come in the future. This is v1 *BETA*, pgdahl :)

We leave Quick Note open until you close it because we thought you might want to drag/drop things in there. I mean, who knows... you still might!

Actually the dialog does currently close when it loses focus. And dragging an item does not close it. And those are both perfectly understandable from my perspective.

It's just that clicking on the menu bar or items there does not close the dialog - and I think it should. But that's a small thing really.

Titling/tagging will come in the future. This is v1 *BETA*, pgdahl :)

I can only respond to what I *SEE*, Jackolicious. But it is not the first time, I've been picked on for not being familiar with the dev team's plans before posting.

That was, by the way, not my only complaint (and I was not the only one complaining about the lack of being able to tag and bag.) 

• Please reconsider the gray on gray color scheme. I know, this is

an old complaint of mine, but I am wondering why it is still here! 

• I am sure that some thought went into this, but I just cannot see

the benefits for me as a user. It is difficult to see, right? I have

great eyesight -- I work on an 11" MBA and don't mind poor resolution or

tiny characters for all of my work, but it is only in Evernote that I

feel like things are fuzzy and indistinguishable. Surely, it isn't just

me who thinks it makes sense to have black on white. From a usability /

accessibility perspective, it seems strikingly obvious to me, but maybe I

just need to be schooled in design.

• In the first screenshot below, tell me that you think the trash

icon, the people sharing my trash (why are people sharing my trash?),

and even the gray on gray of the snippet view ("who") is easier to see

than this text I have written right here black on white.

• Surely, the second screenshot below is a joke, right? You cannot

honestly tell me that the name of the stack in the screenshot below is

legible (it says 公用). I really think this gray on gray thing is bizarre,

and I strongly recommend you reconsider this from an accessibility

perspective.

Grumpy - once again, you're a bit too polite.  You need to be more assertive: the grey-on-grey is CR@P.

Seriously.  I'm sure it breaches the UN Conventions on Accessibility, or something.  Whose brilliant idea was it anyway, to get rid of the coloured icons, and then to create this grey-on-grey nightmare?  I'm a surgeon who is used to looking at tiny details, often red-on-red or similar.  But this monochrome madness is awful, and seems to be infecting far too many aspects of life ever since Apple decided to go that way in Mac OS Lion.  But they ARE bringing back some of the colour - ever so slowly.  But Evernote isn't.  And grey-on-grey text is just plain craziness.  It does NOT "look good" or "stylish" or "cool and groovy". IT LOOKS CR@P.  You may as well go the whole hog in the illegibility stakes and move to white on white!

There now - I can be more assertive, being in Australia and out of harm's way... ;):ph34r:

• Level 5*

• Please reconsider the gray on gray color scheme. I know, this is

an old complaint of mine, but I am wondering why it is still here! 

• I am sure that some thought went into this, but I just cannot see

the benefits for me as a user. It is difficult to see, right? I have

great eyesight -- I work on an 11" MBA and don't mind poor resolution or

tiny characters for all of my work, but it is only in Evernote that I

feel like things are fuzzy and indistinguishable. Surely, it isn't just

me who thinks it makes sense to have black on white. From a usability /

accessibility perspective, it seems strikingly obvious to me, but maybe I

just need to be schooled in design.

• In the first screenshot below, tell me that you think the trash

icon, the people sharing my trash (why are people sharing my trash?),

and even the gray on gray of the snippet view ("who") is easier to see

than this text I have written right here black on white.

• Surely, the second screenshot below is a joke, right? You cannot

honestly tell me that the name of the stack in the screenshot below is

legible (it says 公用). I really think this gray on gray thing is bizarre,

and I strongly recommend you reconsider this from an accessibility

perspective.

Grumpy - once again, you're a bit too polite.  You need to be more assertive: the grey-on-grey is CR@P.

Seriously.  I'm sure it breaches the UN Conventions on Accessibility, or something.  Whose brilliant idea was it anyway, to get rid of the coloured icons, and then to create this grey-on-grey nightmare?  I'm a surgeon who is used to looking at tiny details, often red-on-red or similar.  But this monochrome madness is awful, and seems to be infecting far too many aspects of life ever since Apple decided to go that way in Mac OS Lion.  But they ARE bring back some of the colour - ever so slowly.  But Evernote isn't.  And grey-on-grey text is just plain craziness.  It does NOT "look good" or "stylish" or "cool and groovy". IT LOOKS CR@P.  You may as well go the whole hog in the illegibility stakes and move to white on white!

There now - I can be more assertive, being in Australia and out of harm's way... ;):ph34r:

Hahaha. Well, you are more assertive than me. I will give you that :)

The developers are smart folks, but this kind of thing does not make sense to me, so I must be missing something. I'd love for them to school me in design. I would be happy to learn a thing or two.

Without an explanation, all I can do is use my feeble intellect to guess at what is happening. My guess is that the Windows team stole the OSX team's colors, and the OSX team refuses to give up their stockpile of ramen in order to get them back. It is a sad case of bullying, and I pity the poor OSXers, but for the good of the product, these playground antics really must stop!

Archived