Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

How do you use BOTH MS OneNote and EN?

organization windows android

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 werpnst8

werpnst8

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Have you found it useful to use both onenote and EN? I've found many comparisons of the two, so I'm not really asking which one is "better." Instead, I am curious if you use both and, if so, what kinds of projects do you use One Note for compared with EN.

(Note: I am a premium EN user and I have One Note 2010. I use EN on my windows laptop and my android tablet)

Thanks.

#2 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I've used onenote and EN but while I don't mind using other software to complement one or the other in areas where they don't offer features,  or aren't the best in that field,  I saw no reason why I would use two pieces of software whose core features cover essentially the same ground.  At its most basic,  if I don't remember exactly where I left a note,  I have to search twice;  and with a big enough database (and a talent for forgetting details) not finding an item after a search doesn't mean it isn't actually there...

To cut out one layer of complications I dropped onenote,  because I favoured Evernote.  At least I have the satisfaction that if I get really fed up the Big Green Elephant I have an alternative app I could use!

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#3 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I am Evernote Premium (over three years now) and have used OneNote for many years.  I currently also have ON 2010.  I use EN pretty much every waking hour (average of) in one way or another.  IMO, Onenote is better for brainstorming & bigger picture things.  IE, when brainstorming a project for work, I normally use ON to store copies of emails from everyone involved, research I may have done on a product (IE on the web) as well as notes as to whether this product will do what I think it might, research I did on our existing code to see what will need to be modified, etc.  But, IMO, it's overkill for things like addresses, birthdays/anniversaries, remembering things I may want to buy or someone I know may want to buy, smaller work issues/notes/memos, etc.

So Evernote is used to store things like bills, correspondence, notes regarding smaller issues/problems at work, notes about what I can & cannot feed one of our dogs who is on kidney diet (for renal failure), etc.  We purchased a home in June 2011.  It was bank owned & the settlement statement shows a deduction for taxes from 1/1/11 through 6/27/11.  I'm *still* arguing with the county on this b/c they are charging us for the full year, rather than for 6/28/11 - 12/31/11.  I use EN to keep the notes about who/what & when I talked to someone about this, including scans of the bills I'm receiving, the dates/times/phone numbers & names of the people I talked to. 

In a nutshell, I do not consider ON & EN as competitors.  I use ON occasionally & EN pretty much every single waking hour.  (Really!)  B/c I even have some emails auto forwarded to my EN account & often send photos from my iPhone or iPad to EN. 

I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#4 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,157 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Also, EN is great for procedures that you do only occasionally, so you don't remember them off the top of your head.  I store many notes about editing, authoring & burning videos b/c some parts of these processes I only do occasionally.  Similarly, I use EN to store the various methods of restoring data for work.  I don't have to do this often, but it's nice when I do, that I can go to EN & look up my notes & "follow along" with detailed notes & screen caps. 

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#5 werpnst8

werpnst8

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I knew there was a way to take advantage of the best of both applications, but couldn't wrap my mind around how to do that. EN is hard to beat with its accessibility across platforms and ease of sharing notebooks with collaborators. On the other hand, ON's flexibility in terms of formatting notes is quite nice. I hadn't thought of using it as a brainstorming tool. I think I'll also use ON as a project library, of sorts. I do a lot of SAS programming and keep a collection of code on my computer, so ON would be an ideal way to save the code and corresponding sample output without losing formatting. An example of a "bigger picture" project described above.

Meanwhile, I've found that EN is great for the lit review on research papers where I can save each academic article with its citation in a note, type up a brief summary as text, and then I can add new notes for other articles as I stumble across them while on my tablet. Later, when I'm ready to start writing, I have my list of EN notes that let me use the lit as needed.  And the ability to send emails to EN to maintain a "paper" trail of correspondence with co-authors and editors is terrific.

Anyone else found a productive use for both ON and EN?

#6 Peter O'Kelly

Peter O'Kelly

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

OneNote currently has stronger collaboration capabilities than Evernote, so it's more useful for beyond-the-basics group notebooks involving multiple contributors. For example, OneNote is more robust for asynchronously capturing intra-note edits from multiple users, and also provides an intuitive notification mechanism for highlighting changes new to a particular user.

On the other hand... many of the OneNote collaboration features require the full OneNote client, which is only available on Windows, and they also require using either SkyDrive (free with a reasonable amount of space) or SharePoint for shared notebooks, which may be a blocker for some people.

Overall, I use Evernote for almost all of my personal note-taking at this point, but also use OneNote for some collaborative notebook/workspace projects.

#7 crystalrclass

crystalrclass

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I have been using both products for over 1 year.  I think the products appeal to people of different kinds of thought processes. 

Evernote is great for capturing individual thoughts, reminders, etc. Evernotes tags makes it easy to assign multiple categories to items.  I also use Evernote to collaborate with my two other blog writers (academicpkm.org) and share blog ideas, links to resources, quotes, etc. This is partially because one of our collaborators doesn't use Microsoft products.  If I depended on mobile devices, I would also prefer Evernote for the superior mobile apps, though I keep hoping that Microsoft will catch up soon.

OneNote I love and used first.  I have it synced with Skydrive and use it on multiple machines.  I think of OneNote as my digital scrapbook. I think in terms of folders/notebooks/etc. when I am trying to organize material.  That kind of hierarchical thinking lends itself naturally to OneNote which has an almost endless combination of notebooks, sections, section groups, pages, subpages, etc. For example, one notebook I have is Wish  List.  I have various pages for categories of items (books, cds, gadgets, etc) that I find and would like to have, but don't plan to purchase right away. When my family members ask me for gift ideas for my own birthday or Christmas gifts, I can go to this notebook to choose ideas in various cost categories for them to consider. There are also sections for me, my family members, friends, etc and so Wish List is also a list of gift ideas for others (with pictures, links to where to purchase, etc) as well as a record of what I've already given to different people. I also had a notebook for an online class I was completing.  I was able to capture lecture notes, my assignments, and other materials related to that class in an organized, class by class method.

These are just a few of the ways I use the two tools. Could you do all the things I described in EITHER of the tools?  Sure.  It is just a personal preference to the way each person thinks about organizing information.  It is an interesting question and one that my co-worker and I discuss on an on-going basis as she loves EverNote as much as I love OneNote. :D

#8 TechBarber

TechBarber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

My dividing line between the two systems is easy: work and personal. 

I would use Evernote for everything, but I work in a hospital so some of the emails I receive can be quite sensitive. As I'm not allowed to store any of this personal data in the cloud (rightfully so), I use OneNote as it is installed on my work computer and ready to go.

I suppose I could use a local EN notebook but OneNote is part of the "corporate plan" so it's a bit more adherent to policy.

Both work really well, although I question how busy OneNote could get after a year or so. I guess I'll see when I get there.

My Blog (Technology/Evernote) - http://www.TechBarber.com
Evernote vs Dropbox & The Differences Explained - http://www.techbarbe...se-effectively/
Evernote Organization - A Beginners Guide - http://www.techbarbe...eginners-guide/

Evernote Smart Notebook Review - http://www.techbarbe...n-everyday-guy/

#9 RyanL

RyanL

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

EN is my to-do list, being that it's easier to search by multiple tags, in addition to web-sharing for notes. I use a slightly modified GTD system, and everything I need to accomplish goes in there. It's also more fully cross-platform to Linux, assuming I use NixNote. It's small, fast, has reminders in Android (and I can't wait until they're in Windows), allows email-to-note with notebook and tag support. That way, I can tell somebody what to put in the subject line, and they can directly put something into my to-do list, along with a priority and project tag.

ON, however, is my long-term documentation. Recipes, Project outlines, my book outline/mind map, etc. Anything that I intend to keep long term winds up in ON. Also, I use it like a virtual notebook, as that's what it was designed around - hence, I use it for my school notes. The ability to type anywhere on the page is a big deal for me. Also, with my company being such a big Microsoft shop, I got the entire Office 2013 package for $10 for home use, and we use ON heavily in the office, making note sharing with my colleagues much easier. 

#10 TaskClone

TaskClone

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Used both.  OneNote definitely stronger for collaboration and link to Outlook exchange.  Without need for those features, Evernote's flexibility made me stop using two apps.

#11 TechBarber

TechBarber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have a minor update. I still use OneNote for collaborative features at work but I recently switched back to EN for everything else (e.g. meeting notes, code snippets). I also purchased a Moleskine Smart Notebook which is a first for me and I'm really enjoying it so far.

There's something about the paper in a Moleskine. My writing has improved - it appears as though a 12 year old wrote the notes instead of a 4 year old which is more my thing.  ^_^

My Blog (Technology/Evernote) - http://www.TechBarber.com
Evernote vs Dropbox & The Differences Explained - http://www.techbarbe...se-effectively/
Evernote Organization - A Beginners Guide - http://www.techbarbe...eginners-guide/

Evernote Smart Notebook Review - http://www.techbarbe...n-everyday-guy/

#12 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,157 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

There's something about the paper in a Moleskine. My writing has improved - it appears as though a 12 year old wrote the notes instead of a 4 year old which is more my thing.  ^_^

LOL. Yeah, since using word processors for over 35 years, my penmanship is just horrible. A lost art.

#13 ozaz

ozaz

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

I am in the process of thinking about this. I have been using OneNote for a while and am fairly happy with it for my work-related notes where things are generally hierachical and project-based, and good formatting tools are important. But I tend to lose my random non-work related notes, for which I don't (and don't really want to) put much thought into hierarchical organization. I have been trying Evernote and it seems like it could be better for these types of notes due to what appears to be much more flexible ways to classify and find them (tags, view by date, location, etc). Excellent multi-platform support is also more important for my personal notes than it is for my work notes. 

But there are a few things that irritate me about Evernote. One thing I can't figure out with is whether you can write notes using an active digitiser. This is something that is superb in OneNote. Also, am I correct in my initial impression that formatting options in Evernote are pretty dreadful? (I don't seem to be able to simple things like manually adjust the size of attached images or tables)

#14 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

I am in the process of thinking about this. I have been using OneNote for a while and am fairly happy with it for my work-related notes where things are generally hierachical and project-based, and good formatting tools are important. But I tend to lose my random non-work related notes, for which I don't (and don't really want to) put much thought into hierarchical organization. I have been trying Evernote and it seems like it could be better for these types of notes due to what appears to be much more flexible ways to classify and find them (tags, view by date, location, etc). Excellent multi-platform support is also more important for my personal notes than it is for my work notes. 

But there are a few things that irritate me about Evernote. One thing I can't figure out with is whether you can write notes using an active digitiser. This is something that is superb in OneNote. Also, am I correct in my initial impression that formatting options in Evernote are pretty dreadful? (I don't seem to be able to simple things like manually adjust the size of attached images or tables)

As you will have seen from this thread,  some people use both products for their different features - and yes,  you're right;  Evernote formatting is definitely not a major asset.  Rather than make the jump completely,  maybe it's simply better to gradually change focus from one app to the other.

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote