(Archived) Evernote 5.0.6 Beta for Mac

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi everyone,

Great beta update coming your way! Get it here: http://evernote.com/...e=PrereleaseMac

Hope you like it!

New Features

- New redesigned welcome window

Other Improvements

- Fixed URL pasting issues

- Business Trash deletion issues are resolved

- Improved speed of large paste operations

- Evernote window no longer steals focus

37 replies to this idea

There is one feature I really would like to be added to the editing bar. I'm constantly craving the ability to highlight certain phrases, and making the font a different color simply just won't do. I look forward to that being in the next upgraded version you put out. Thank you!

Sweet mother of [MODERATOR: Please keep religion out of your posts -- font size has been increased as well to a legible size], has the Evernote team finally fixed the 10-minute-beachball-upon-paste issue?

Has the carnage of suicidal Mac users, penning last notes in their Evernote clients entitled "I just can't take this anymore", finally convinced the developers that something, nay, anything must be done to end the senseless bloodshed?

Say it is so, oh please, won't someone say that it is so.

I've had the update for about an hour, and so far, I can say this much ... it sucks less than the abomination that sprang forth from [Please, no religion] fetid womb some three months ago. The wretched horrorfest which became known as "Evernote 5.0 - 5.05".

Is this what salvation feels like?

Or, as I suspect, is it merely the calm before the storm? A brief respite from hell's cruel torture before the screams of a thousand suffering souls fill the air as they find that the Evernote team has replaced all of their desktop icons with barely-legal photos of [And, please refrain from comments about gender, *****, and so forth]

Time will tell, fellow users.

Time will tell.

Rex may or may not be funny. But he's 100% spot-on with the truth.

v5.xxx of EN for Mac is a horror-fest to be sure, and I wish that was funny, and not sad and tragic.

EN are now chasing their tail, trying to fix bugs and re-introduce features they took-away. Only to add different bugs and more problems.

It's EN which is becoming a "yawn".

Little problem here. Just updated to the new beta and now when I scan images in with my Scansnap manager it crashes with the message 'Internal Database Error that prevents Evernote from functioning properly', then shuts down. 

When I reopen it, it has to load in the entire database of 4k or more notes before I can use it again.

Any way to fix this, or should I just revert back a version?

Where can I get 5.0.5? Hopefully that'll solve the problem. 

Thanks.

post-86898-0-34043800-1360508812_thumb.p

post-86898-0-42734900-1360508818_thumb.p

post-86898-0-29706500-1360508829_thumb.p

I have the same problem, which persists after a clean install with the latest version.  It is incredibly maddening since I have to paste a lot of images into my notes and after each paste the focus changes to somewhere near the top of the note.  Makes pasting take about 5x as long as it ought to, which is insignificant for one image, but becomes maddeningly significant for a large amount of pastes.  I don't know how this wasn't fixed immediately.

I would like to ask a question that's been posted several times, but never addressed. When I paste an image into a note that is long in length the note automatically scrolls all the way to the top. I then have to scroll all the way back to the bottom of the note to edit or see the pasted image. I have heard this happens with pasted text as well.

I came here to see how many others were complaining about Evernote sync issues, and am surprised to see I'm the only one (at lease in the 5.0.6 Beta thread).

I've been having a horrible time between home and work with my new iMac and MacBook Pro Retina. I leave Evernote running on both of my machines all the time. I try to remember to sync before I leave one location and move to another. When I get to the next location, my notes aren't synced. I have Screen Sharing enabled on both of these machines, and can look at both screens side by side, and can verify and try to force the sync to happen. Often, the sync works. But probably one out of every four times, the sync doesn't work at all. I hit sync, and nothing happens. I've tried quitting and restarting the app on either end, to no avail. Sometimes I wind up with note conflicts where it's hard to tell if the most recent or the less recent version of the file has been relegated to the conflict notebook.

What am I doing wrong, that this issue only happens to me?

post-123353-0-19131100-1360813710_thumb.

I have "Recent Notes" switched off - the new beta switches it back on and does not let me switch it off.

That's been the one thing that's been driving me crazy. Even when the sidebar is unselected, evertime we drag notes from our inbox to one of our folders, (which we see with our eyes), but as soon as we're ready to drop it in... the side bar drops down, and we can-no-more-see-!!!  We have to re-evaluate where our folder is. (I really wish Evernote would go back to it's older version.It looked great & worked like a charm.)  I'm just finding myself using it less and less now.

Hi Hopechild,

I recently came across a blog post showing how to highlight text in Mac, using Apple's very own system functions: http://metadata.mx/highlighting-evernote/ - be sure to follow the author's directions carefully. I've tried it out and it works great.

To be clear, this is NOT an Evernote function or feature, but rather Apple's native fonts palette. 

Hope that helps!

Hi Hopechild,

I recently came across a blog post showing how to highlight text in Mac, using Apple's very own system functions: http://metadata.mx/highlighting-evernote/ - be sure to follow the author's directions carefully. I've tried it out and it works great.

To be clear, this is NOT an Evernote function or feature, but rather Apple's native fonts palette. 

Hope that helps!

You are awesome. Thank you. ^_^!!!!

Sweet mother of [MODERATOR: Please keep religion out of your posts -- font size has been increased as well to a legible size], has the Evernote team finally fixed the 10-minute-beachball-upon-paste issue?

Has the carnage of suicidal Mac users, penning last notes in their Evernote clients entitled "I just can't take this anymore", finally convinced the developers that something, nay, anything must be done to end the senseless bloodshed?

I've had the update for about an hour, and so far, I can say this much ... it sucks less than the abomination that sprang forth from [Please, no religion] fetid womb some three months ago. The wretched horrorfest which became known as "Evernote 5.0 - 5.05".

Or, as I suspect, is it merely the calm before the storm? A brief respite from hell's cruel torture before the screams of a thousand suffering souls fill the air as they find that the Evernote team has replaced all of their desktop icons with barely-legal photos of [And, please refrain from comments about gender, *****, and so forth]

Time will tell.

Sir,

Making comments about gender, *****, and so forth is a core tenant of my religion, and that you discriminate against me because of my beliefs is beyond reproach.

Please take your hate-filled xenophobia elsewhere, as the Evernote forums are no place for your intolerance.

Also, I would appreciate it if you would leave my race out of this, as it has no relevance to the subject at hand.

I will say good day to you!

:)

I know it was tongue-in-cheek, but let's steer the conversation away from sensitive topics unrelated to Evernote. I think what you wanted to say is that you are unhappy with the interface. Could you tell us what specifically you didn't like?

Actually, to the contrary.

I fear that the moderator, who thinks that "God" is religious word even when used colloquially, made this less clear.

I was actually, cautiously, pleased.

Alright, I switched to a new machine, and looked in vain to find a non-App Store download of Evernote.

This being the case, I installed it from the market, but I no longer have the option to upgrade to Beta releases.

Has the non-App Store been done away with, and if so, how can we get access to the Betas going forward?

I found the download for the last release in the first post of this thread, so I guess my question at this point is regarding the in-app upgrade feature.

If the app is upgraded from the App Store, it seems like Betas are not included ... although I'll double-check to see if this is the case.

• Level 5*

I found the download for the last release in the first post of this thread, so I guess my question at this point is regarding the in-app upgrade feature.

If the app is upgraded from the App Store, it seems like Betas are not included ... although I'll double-check to see if this is the case.

I believe they are not allowed to provide a beta option. See this thread for instructions to get back to the direct download version.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

I believe they are not allowed to provide a beta option. See this thread for instructions to get back to the direct download version.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

Sweet.  That was the answer.

Thank you very much.

• Level 5*

Sweet.  That was the answer.

Thank you very much.

Glad I could help!

I would like to ask a question that's been posted several times, but never addressed. When I paste an image into a note that is long in length the note automatically scrolls all the way to the top. I then have to scroll all the way back to the bottom of the note to edit or see the pasted image. I have heard this happens with pasted text as well.

Hi All:

Okay so I'm having a weird redraw problem with the Mtn. Lion, Evernote and Copying jpegs to Evernote using the drag and drop method onto the Evernote icon in the dock.

After copying 4 or 5 jpegs one at a time, the Finder window for the folder I'm working with loses The file names, I've already ck'd and I have the appropriate view settings, no I didn't scroll over too far and just not seeing that column. The only way I can get things back to normal is to let Evernote crash (which happens after I try to do anything else), go to a different file folder and then come back to the file folder I want to work in.

Hi Lagomorph,

I'm trying to reproduce your error by following your steps but am not sure I quite understand what you are saying. What exactly do you mean that the Finder window "loses the filenames"? Are the jpegs you are selecting right next to each other, or are they separated by other jpegs in the window list?

Please clarify. A screenshot attachment would be helpful as well -- I am unable to view "webkit-fake-url://3997BD75-4721-4909-9B5B-0FEA1369505C/image.tiff"

Just clipped a picture to evernote. When trying to (right-click on the picture in the note) and choosing preview or skitch from the "Open With" option, Evernote crashes.

Latest Mac OSX with all updates

Reproduce 1:

- go to a note that contains an image;

- context-click (right-click) on the picture in the note, the picture is blue-highlighted and the context menu appears;

- click outside the context menu, the context menu disappears, the picture is still blue-highlighted;

- click on the blue-highlighted picture;

- watch as the app crashes.

Reproduce 2:

- go to a note that contains an image;

- context-click (right-click) on the picture in the note, the picture is blue-highlighted and the context menu appears;

- from the "Open With" context menu option choose (click on) - for example - "Skitch" ("Preview" will also work)

- watch as the app crashes.

Hope this gets fixed in the next release.

Loving the Evernote service btw, keep up the good work!

Time will tell.

Yawn.....

Ouch.

I failed to amuse a guy who made 3,752 posts in a note-taking support forum?

Could it be that I'm not as funny as I think I am?

Nah.

After all, there were like, 800 users who DIDN'T *yawn*.

Thank [unspecified fictitious entity which in no way connotes either a belief or disbelief in any religion, be it organized or informal in nature], I'm still hysterical.

Time will tell.

Sir,

Making comments about gender, *****, and so forth is a core tenant of my religion, and that you discriminate against me because of my beliefs is beyond reproach.

Please take your hate-filled xenophobia elsewhere, as the Evernote forums are no place for your intolerance.

Also, I would appreciate it if you would leave my race out of this, as it has no relevance to the subject at hand.

Could it be that I'm not as funny as I think I am?

Yup.

This is a business forum & people are expected to act accordingly. Such as making posts to say *yawn*, and furthering the offensive thread by getting on your high horse solely to show your moral superiority. Like me. Be more like me. If everyone was more like me, I'd be happier. However, please feel free to PM yourself, since you seem to find yourself so entertaining.

Sorry.

• Level 5*

Time will tell.

Sir,

:)

I know it was tongue-in-cheek, but let's steer the conversation away from sensitive topics unrelated to Evernote. I think what you wanted to say is that you are unhappy with the interface. Could you tell us what specifically you didn't like?

Archived