Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Forum software update scheduled Friday afternoon EST, February 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

We'll have a scheduled update to the forum community to Version 3.4.2, with some down time that should be no longer than an hour on Friday afernoon, February 8th. Members should expect very few changes on the front end, with two small exceptions:

Editor improvements:

For example, the actual post was saved as BBCode in the database. This meant that the post had to be converted into BBCode before saving and then converted back into HTML before editing or showing the post. This lead to some frustrating due to inconsistencies with this process.

Happily, the underpinnings to our editor have now been completely rewritten to increase stability and to remove these inconsistencies. Now, the post is actually saved as cleaned HTML (via the excellent HTMLPurify) which means it does not have to be converted between states. You can still edit the BBCode manually if you wish, but this is handled by a single BBCode plug-in for CKEditor. This is very exciting because it frees up IP.Board from having to deal with BBCode manually saving hundreds of lines of code.

TL:DR version: you should see less goofy inconsistencies in the editor when working with advanced content.

"Answered" Tags:

We'll probably toy with this--as most threads tend to evolve over time as new issues or new iterations come out, it sometimes does and sometimes does not make sense for a post to be marked as "Answered". We'll likely roll this out on a per-forum, pilot basis--expect to see this pop up first in the Evernote Business forum.

Any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know below.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,803 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Upgrade should be complete.  Some post update weirdness may be around:

• Mid afternoon today you may have noticed some oddities, like Pinned Topics disappearing and the tagging system losing color.  These were symptoms of hooks that were disabled as part of the upgrade process.  Everything should be running smooth again.
  • Pinned topics has flipped with Recent topics.  We'll flip these back soon.
  • Some slowness in the loading of page elements.  This should work itself out, but if it hasn't ceased being a problem after 24 hours we'll report it.
  • Code changes to the editor may cause some interesting differences in post composition.  Right now it looks to make quoting a little different and less html-ish.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and feel free to report any continued issues here.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#3 Live-Round

Live-Round

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

FYI.

This is the first time I've used the forum, and my first impression is that I've never since a more hidden login link in my life.

I even did a search for "login" on the page to confirm that I wasn't going blind in my old age. I eventually found the hidden link in the 4 letter word "here".   It may  be worth while sticking an icon somewhere on the pages to allow easier logins in future.

Otherwise the site is looking good,

garry

Premium user

#4 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Nothing to do with the upgrade but is to do with the BB:

When I hover on the Elephant top left it offers "Go to Community index" but clicking on it takes you to the Evernote home page. Care to fix this inconsistency?

#5 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,803 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nothing to do with the upgrade but is to do with the BB:

When I hover on the Elephant top left it offers "Go to Community index" but clicking on it takes you to the Evernote home page. Care to fix this inconsistency?

Can do, good point.  Will put in a request.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote