Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Launching evernote iOS app with a link to a newly created note does not work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SapSaw

SapSaw

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

I created a note using my mac evernote app and immediately emailed the link and tried viewing the note on my iPhone via the email. Launching the evernote app using the link gives me the following error: "The note link refers to a note that does not appear to exist". While the error dialog is being displayed, I see the new note synced to the evernote app on my iPhone. After this, the same link works just fine. Looks like the evernote app does not wait till initial app sync is done to look up the note on the device nor does it lookup the EN server to see if the link is to a valid but as yet unsynced note. Is this a bug that we can expect to be fixed in the near future?

#2 C6REW

C6REW

• Title: I need a Cup Of Tea
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hi SapSaw,

Just trying to understand why you would email the note to yourself then view it in iPhone rather than looking at your Evernote app on the iPhone?

The problem is you have emailed it and tried to open it before your Mac has 'synced' to the web. If you really want to view it in this fashion, sync the note on your Mac, then email it, then sync the app on your iPhone, then open the note.

Best regards

Chris

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#3 SapSaw

SapSaw

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

I did make sure that the MAC app had synced to the web before emailing the link.

The reason I was trying this was to make sure that a future use case that I plan to incorporate in my iOS app will work. I would like to create a new note with some initial content from my application using the EN iOS SDK. I plan to make sure it has synced and I get the server generated note GUID back from the server. After this, I would use the note link to launch the iOS evernote app to allow my app user to continue editing the note. Based on my investigations, this will not be possible unless the Evernote iOS app has synced the note I just created.

#4 C6REW

C6REW

• Title: I need a Cup Of Tea
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hi SapSaw,

Sort of understand what you are trying to do - just about anyway!

The confusion is in your word at the start of the thread 'immediately''. But if you are allowing the Mac to sync to the web then that is good.

Of course, the only way to see the 'Note' in the iPhone app is to sync it back down from the web.

Unfortunately I have not got email set up on my Mac to carry out a test for you, but one of the other guys will be along soon.

Best regards

Chris

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#5 Mustafa

Mustafa

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi SapSaw,

The upcoming iOS SDK release will make this easier for you.

#6 SapSaw

SapSaw

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thanks.

I just confirmed that if I create a note using Notestore.noteStore createNote:(EDAMNote *) success:^(EDAMNote *note)success failure:^(NSError *error)failure, launching evernote app with the url of the newly created note fails. Will the upcoming SDK make this use case easier too?

Thanks!

#7 Mustafa

Mustafa

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

An upcoming update will provide a better way to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote