How Do I Delete A Notebook?

In Evernote 5.0.5 for the Mac when I try to delete a Notebook by right-clicking its heading in the left column, all I see is "Share Notebook" and "Notebook Settings," no Delete. How do I delete a Notebook?

• Level 5*

In Evernote 5.0.5 for the Mac when I try to delete a Notebook by right-clicking its heading in the left column, all I see is "Share Notebook" and "Notebook Settings," no Delete. How do I delete a Notebook?

HI. I think you have your notebooks showing as a list, you right-clicked on a notebook name, and the options appeared. Click on the notebook icon instead, then you will see a list of your notebooks. These have full functionality, and you can delete them from there.

• 3 months later...

I was able to do this:

click on your Library of Notebooks so you see the images of the notebooks in the single window.

Hold the control key down and click on any notebook cover that you want to delete:  a menu list will come down with the option to delete a notebook as the fifth option.

(I don't have a mouse so right-clicking is out of the question.)

• Level 5*

I was able to do this:

click on your Library of Notebooks so you see the images of the notebooks in the single window.

Hold the control key down and click on any notebook cover that you want to delete:  a menu list will come down with the option to delete a notebook as the fifth option.

(I don't have a mouse so right-clicking is out of the question.)

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for sharing that. I don't have a mouse either, but with the trackpad, the equivalent of a right click (called a secondary click by the Apple folks) is a two-finger tap in Lion and Mountain Lion. 

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

I followed all the suggestions on this forum and I can't get rid of this "Conflicting changes" notebook.

It hi-lites, but there are no options available to delete. I even tried to drag and drop it into the trash. HELP!

As I mentioned in your other post on this topic, you can delete a notebook by control-clicking on it (either in the sidebar or in the notebooks list) and then selecting 'Delete Notebook…'

If this doesn't work, please let me know which part of it is not working:

Are you not able to control-click on the notebook?

Is the 'Delete Notebook…' not present in the context menu?

Is the 'Delete Notebook…' menu item disabled?

Are you able to select the menu item, but the confirmation dialog doesn't appear?

Does the confirmation dialog appear, but the Delete button is disabled?

Can you click on the Delete button, but then nothing happens?

Something else?

• 2 months later...

I found these steps worked to delete an EverNote Notebook. On your MacBook, open Evernote and do the following:

1. In the Evernote sidebar, click Notebooks--it can be in List View or Grid View.
  2. Hold the CONTROL key down then click the Notebook to be deleted-I assume you have already moved any notes to a different Notebook.
  3. When the pop-up menu appears, there will be an option listed as "Delete Notebook..."
  4. Click "Delete Notebook...: and the Notebook will be removed 
  • 2 months later...

I'm having this same problem. I've tried all of the suggestions on this thread to no avail. I'm using the very latest version of Evernote v. 5.4.5. Right -clicking on my Mac (with any combo of Option, Control, Shift, Command) gives me a menu but the "Delete Notebook" option is greyed out. And, as far as I can tell, there is NO way to delete anything from my iPhone or iPad. Grrr. This is a pretty major flaw. Not impressed with the usability with my first few days on Evernote.....

• Level 5

Mac:

The only time I've seen 'Delete Notebook' greyed out is when I only have one notebook. Are you seeing this behaviour with all your notebooks, or just certain ones?

iOS:

To delete a note book, go to the notebooks view, tap the Edit button at the top of the screen, tap the minus button next to the notebook you want to delete, then confirm.

Mac:

The only time I've seen 'Delete Notebook' greyed out is when I only have one notebook. Are you seeing this behaviour with all your notebooks, or just certain ones?

iOS:

To delete a note book, go to the notebooks view, tap the Edit button at the top of the screen, tap the minus button next to the notebook you want to delete, then confirm.

To clarify...last I knew, you need at least one SYNC'd notebook.  So if you're using the Mac desktop client & trying to delete the only sync'd notebook, I don't think you'll be able to do it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having the same problem. When the menu comes up, I click delete notebook (which is black), but nothing happens. i drag to the trash and nothing happens. The notebooks are empty. I just want to reorganize my notebooks, and get rid of some I shared in the past with other people, and I can't get rid of them after trying all these suggestions. Maybe I'm missing something - I haven't used Evernote for a long time. Help! please....

• 4 weeks later...

the problem is our delete notebook option is greyed out - the question is why?

This is the "First Notebook" with nothing in it. Business subscription. 

New users. This is far too obscure to roll out.

Solution: the notebook was the "default notebook", changed another notebook to be default , (still no delete), exited evernote, reloaded, NOW the right click delete notebook can be used.

Feedback: The greying out without clues is not good; clearly greying is permissions based, but new users need some idea how to proceed instead of wasting huge amounts of time on what ought to be trivial. Took me a day and an hour and I solve sit quite by chance 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 6/3/2017 at 0:33 PM, Lizzzzzie said:

When I right-click on a notebook, whether in list view or notebook view, the option to Delete does not appear at all (not even grayed out). I've attached a screenshot. Can anyone help? Thanks very much.

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 3.28.51 PM.png

It looks like you’re trying to delete a shared notebook. Is that correct?

You can’t delete someone else’s notebook. Choose 'Leave Notebook…' or 'Remove Notebook…' (Depending on which version of Evernote you are using).

• 1 month later...

Seems that the program does not allow deletion of a local, unsynchronized, notebook. The suggestions work for deleting notebooks that are not local.

There should be a sway to do this, but so far it is elusive and frustrating

Archived