(Archived) Evernote stopped working after being updated to 5.0.5

keldduun

Idea

After successfully have been using Evernote on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina i have updatet to version 5.0.5 and it stopped working. The screen i locked in full-screen and I can't do anything except cmd-tab to come to finder. The only way to quit the application is to quit with cmd-alt-esc.

I am using version 5.0.5 on my Mac Pro without any problems.

Do anyone have ideas to solve the problem?

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Having this same issue on a Macbook Air running Mountain Lion

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I hope you will consider reporting the bug (see the link in my signature below) to alert the developers to the problem. My suggestion would be to uninstall and re-install using the direct download version from Evernote (not the appstore version). I think you will want to completely remove everything, though, to make sure you start from scratch, so please follow these directions closely: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

• Level 5*

Same problem here. removing (with app zapper) and re-installing from the app store doesnt work. Going to try the direct download now.

Hi. Please make sure to follow the link I provided above and completely remove the software before installing the direct download. Once you do that, I doubt you will encounter any more difficulties. In addition, if you have time, please consider reporting the bug so that developers will be made aware of it. Thanks, and good luck!

• Level 5*

Hi. Please make sure to follow the link I provided above and completely remove the software before installing the direct download. Once you do that, I doubt you will encounter any more difficulties. In addition, if you have time, please consider reporting the bug so that developers will be made aware of it. Thanks, and good luck!

GM, as busy as you must be, you still find an amazing amount of time to help users with basic issues.

While I think this is great (as long as it pleases you), it seems like it would benefit both the users and Evernote if an Evernote support person (or two) would track these forums to offer help, especially after they become aware of an issue.

• Level 5*

GM, as busy as you must be, you still find an amazing amount of time to help users with basic issues.

While I think this is great (as long as it pleases you), it seems like it would benefit both the users and Evernote if an Evernote support person (or two) would track these forums to offer help, especially after they become aware of an issue.

Hi JM. Is this a backhanded compliment to get me to stop making suggestions :)

Of course, if a support person jumps into the thread, this would be great. As an Evangelist and moderator, I'm just here to offer advice to the best of my rather limited abilities. And, in cases like this, I definitely recommend people get in touch with support to get better-qualified help! I do think, though, that the suggestions i have made will be safe and effective.

• Level 5*

GM, absolutely NOT!!! I think you provide a great service to us all (even if I don't always agree with you). IAC I always enjoy our discussions and learn from them.

My post was/is pointed at Evernote. If you, a busy, non-paid, civilian, can find time for the forums, then why can't Evernote Support?

• Level 5*

GM, absolutely NOT!!! I think you provide a great service to us all (even if I don't always agree with you). IAC I always enjoy our discussions and learn from them.

My post was/is pointed at Evernote. If you, a busy, non-paid, civilian, can find time for the forums, then why can't Evernote Support?

Thanks for the kind words :)

In general, support sticks to their work (support tickets), and users (like myself) volunteer to help out in the forums, with a few employees jumping in whenever they have an opportunity. Support is available via support tickets and chat (Premium and Business members only), so users can get in touch with them pretty quickly if they want. Of course, the more the merrier, and I'd be happy to see more employees around, but it's OK (in my opinion) that they don't jump into every thread.

Evernote support solved my problem:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks for contacting us.

We believe that the latest Mac pre-release version may address the issue that you reported. Please perform the following steps:

1. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar
  2. Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash
  3. Reboot your Mac
  4. Download and install this pre-release version of the Mac client:
    http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseMac
    When you open our download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package. 
    Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

Let us know how this works for you.

Evernote Support

Archived