(Archived) Penultimate 4 is here. (for iPad)

gbarry

Spreading the blog love today on our two big announcements, one of which is a new version of Penultimate. Since Penultimate joined Evernote way back when (ok, so not that long ago) Ben and the team have been hard at work on creating a new version that more fully integrates Evernote with the Penultimate experience. Penultimate 4 is the product of their hard work, a version that remains true to the original ethos and style of Penultimate while more fully dipping into the strengths of Evernote. Current users of Penultimate should find most, if not all of the functionality they've come to know and love in the original app.

My two cents about why the deeper integration means serious business: handwriting search--every scribble, every handwritten note you take will be OCR'd and you'll be able to hunt them down easily, assuming they're relatively legible and not prescription scribbles from your doctor. From the post:

One of Evernote’s magic features is its ability to make handwriting searchable. We’ve applied this to Penultimate to help you find the notes you’re looking for. Just tap on the new magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of your screen to begin searching your notes. Search results fly in with either a yellow rectangle around the identified words or yellow highlighting in the note title.

One note for users on IOS5--the current version in the app store only works on IOS6. This is a problem for iPad 1 users especially, and we are working on getting Penultimate 4 working for IOS5--that will be available in a future update.

One note for users on IOS5--the current version in the app store only works on IOS6. This is a problem for iPad 1 users especially, and we are working on getting Penultimate 4 working for IOS5--that will be available in a future update.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

As soon as I get a notification about an update for Penultimate, I went crazy. Then I discovered my iPad 1 was out of this update, and I felt as Vader, anger growing inside :P and entered here to open a new thread to ask WHY...and then I read your post, and this quoted sentence, and peace conquered me XD

Penultimate is one of my greatest and most used apps, and reading everything this new version gets and not being able to use it is shocking...I hope the update for all of us, iPad 1 users, come as soon as possible :D

See my separate post - just look for the AARRRGGHHHHH!

This is unusable - it tries to sync EVERYTHING all the time. It is so slow I can't use it.

There seems to be nowhere I can turn off the infernal syncing which I do NOT want - I don't want every scribble synced - I want to be able to select a page, a note, or a notebook, and sync it deliberately, once.

But I also can't find any Preference settings anywhere - am I going blind? I've even looked in the main Settings app - nope, not there either. I can't find Preferences on the Home page or on the minimal toolbar on any page. Where is it? How can I turn off the syncing? Or better still - how can I make the syncing optional and selective as mentioned above?

Not everyone is on the internet the whole time - especially on an iPad. We're not all in the USA with super-duper high-speed always-on all-you-can-eat internet with massive data allowances.

And I can't downgrade - I've looked in the Trash on the Macbook for the old .ipa file - but it isn't there! Where did it go? Penultimate upgraded at the same sync as the iOS upgrade to v6.1 - would that have somehow stopped the old .ipa file going to the Trash? How can I go back to the previous version? Or better yet - how quickly can the problems with the new version be solved?

EDIT: OK - I found the preferences, cunningly hidden under the Account icon (why the heck is it there?). But there is STILL no way I can turn off the syncing of everything. I just deleted a Penultimate notebook in Evernote as I did NOT want it in there - and it has been deleted from Penultimate...! Helpppppp

Problems with the new version...

I have iPad 2 with iOS 6.1, and just install the new Penultimate 4.

If I add some draws to my notes in Penultimate and sync, the modified pages of the notebook disappear from Evernote on iPad, BUT not on EN Desktop!

Step to reproduce the bug (it is very simple):

1) Add some draw in a new page or existing one in a Penultimate notebook

2) Sync Penultimate (with EN)

3) Open EN desktop and sync. The modified page (or new page) is there.

4) Open EN on iPad and voila! the modified page disappear, (or the new page don't exist)

someone else with the same problem?

I love this update! I have an iPad 3 and an iPad mini, and there was no way to share a Penultimate notebook on those two devices. I could pass copies back and forth thru Dropbox but it was a pain and made me reluctant to use PU. Seemed like the note I was looking for was always on the other device. Now everything syncs beautifully! I've added, moved and deleted pages, renamed notebooks, and edited content, and the updates appear flawlessly in EN and PU on both devices. It's much more useful to me now.

I haven't looked at the Penultimate notes on my desktop so I don't know if I have the issue rbianchi noted, and I can see why the syncing would be a royal pain with a slow connection. A manual sync option or ability to designate which notebooks sync would be good to have for those occasions. I often have scribbled notes I don't really want to keep but since deleting them in PU means they're gone from EN too, that's not a big deal. But then again, my notebooks are syncing pretty quickly.

Ah, I only just noticed this thread. I posted a final post in the beta threads ealier so I will report the main items here so they are public.

I think it is a great improvement over version 3. I have had no crashing issues on my iPad 2 running iOS 6.1, although I can see others have.

I think that the Pen dialog box should stay open so that I can change the ink color and pen width in one go. Whenever I am doing something that requires me to switch back and forth between two different pens the current system is a complete pain.

I also think that there needs to be an ability to make a notebook local or synced, just as there is in Evernote, for exactly the reasons that NightStalker and GrumpMonkey have said. Syncing does indeed work well now. The problem might be that it works TOO well. I tried moving a notebook in EN desktop to uncouple it from the syncing but Penultimate still found it, so I apparently can't even stop an old notebook from syncing by moving it to a NoSync folder, which would at least be a workaround.

Having said all that I regard this version as a huge step in the right direction and I am ready to see where it goes next!

Cheers

Owen

If you have run into crashes and are a legacy user, we are looking for logs. Append them here or submit a support ticket to us with it, and we are tracking down every single one.

Rbianchi--can you submit a support ticket so we can take a specific look at that bug?

We REALLY, DESPERATELY need the ability to turn sync OFF as soon as possible, pretty please. The fact that syncing is two-way makes it even worse, and more dangerous. As I posted elsewhere, I deleted one of my Penultimate notebooks from desktop Evernote, as I didn't want it in there - and it vanished from Penultimate. It had some notes in it that I wanted to keep, but NOT ones that I wanted in Evernote. Now they're gone!

Syncing HAS to be an option - not compulsory and automatic. Syncing should be in the Share list, along with email etc. Then we can sync a note, a page, a notebook, etc Or not. See my other posts in the "ARRRGGGHHHH" thread, if you haven't already.

Thanks for reading this thread, and hopefully for a very rapid update to make syncing an option.

I've just updated to Penultimate 4 and now it crashes every time I open it. I have an iPad 2 with iOS 6.0.1.

This is a MAJOR problem. I have ALL my work notes on Penultimate and now cannot access any of them.

How do I roll back to the previous version?

• Level 5*

I've just updated to Penultimate 4 and now it crashes every time I open it. I have an iPad 2 with iOS 6.0.1.

This is a MAJOR problem. I have ALL my work notes on Penultimate and now cannot access any of them.

How do I roll back to the previous version?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your problem. Please consider starting a support ticket (see my signature below). Hopefully, they can keep you from losing data. If you want to roll back on iOS it is the same as you would do with any app (put "rollback" into the forum search or Google for iPad app rollback if you want detailed instructions).

I really like the update!

A few feature requests.

1. I need to be able to delete a notebook in penultimate but still keep it in evernote, currently if I delete a notebook in penultimate it also deletes it in evernote. With the new update is was recommended that one should use a different notebook for each note, so I am making a lot of notebooks for the different topics, meetings, projects I am working on, but when I am done with that project I don't want to have 100s of notebooks in pentultiate, but I do want them save in evernote.

2. Highlighter markers in penultimate. I used bamboo paper and loved the highlighter markers to highlight my notes.

3. Different notebook cover colors and options. This will make it faster for me to find the notebook I want

4. Add tags in penultimate. I couldn't figure out how to do this from the penultimate app, but it would save a step and time rather than having to add the tag on my computer.

gbarry,

With respect to problem related to my Ticket number #16051-230942, I realize that the problem is with notebooks created with the old version of Penultimate, whose modified notes are not displayed correctly in Evernote for iPad.

If I create a new notebooks with the version 4 of Penultimate, then they are showed correctly in EN for iPad.

So the solution for me was create new notebooks with Penultimate 4, and move old notes from old notebooks to the new notebooks.

However, I think that this is a bug of the new version of Penultimate, that not convert correctly the old notebooks.

Big PROBLEM!! I am experiencing the same crashing issue as others, as I try to start up. I have many folders containing all my business notes from the past year. This is a really big deal for me, and need to have this resolved. Please take this bug seriously and get it fixed ASAP. I have the iPad 2 with iOS 6.1

@Moose I have had a quick look at the Penultimate data folder structure within an iTunes iPad backup and it's quite complex and in no way similar to the backup files you get if you sync to Dropbox etc.

I'm sorry, but for users who haven't synced to Dropbox, It looks to me that the only way this is going to be resolved is by the EN/penultimate development team; possibly using a data recover utility working on the folders within an iPad backup...

How do we change sync options? I cant find it and sending the entire notebook to evernote is WRONG.

I heard something on the forums about "account icon" but don't know what that is and I don't see anything useful in settings when I opened the icon in the upper left corner.

Help please! This is a waste of bandwidth, battery power and your app is no longer usefull to me if you put everything in one entry.

Experiencing the same crash and don't have notebooks fully backed up. Major issue.

Upgraded > asked to log in > "preparing notebooks" > crash (and now crashes on app launch every time).

Major bummer and have literally thousands of pages of notes. Some are backed up on evernote, but definitely not all.

Help please??

So when are the PU going to chirp up on this forum? Their silence is making this experience even worse. I have lost all notebooks since my last full back up (Sep) to saturday Feb 2. (I know I should have backed up more frequently but then, I fell for the illusion that the iPad is great and the Apps wonderful.) I find this TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Clearly, I am not the only one with this problem. PU Team (gbarry?) : break your silence and get us a solution to extract the notebooks from a corrupt, unusable Ver 4 installation.

Took iPad out today for first time running new PU on 3G (over the weekend had only tested on wifi) - lag was so severe due to ongoing sync that it rendered PU completely unusable.

Also, repeatedly failed to recognise stylus, only capturing the exit point of each stroke as a dot - but I think that had something to do with the sync lag.

I'm using for work out in the customer face, so I must reluctantly revert back to Noteshelf until the option to manually sync is made available.

Terribly disappointed as I'd been looking for direct sync to EN for some time.

gbarry

The new Penultimate crashes when trying to open, every time.

I try to restart my iPad 2 (6.1), but still have the pbm :(

I don t want to delete the apps and re install because i don't want to loose all my notes ...

My support ticket #16051-231703

Thanks by advance

Hello from France ;)

Sending a single page to my Evernote "Collection Box" (EV Notebook name) was the most brilliant feature that Penultimate had. In EV I could open the single page and update the note with progress and action items. I use EV to run my life and editing page notes from Penultimate is a huge part of that. The new update simply syncs the entire Notebook to EV, I can't send single pages any longer. I hope this gets fixed, I don't want to have to vet another iPad note taking app.

Please fix!

jp09

But I can do that!

Open the page that you want to send to Evernote, and try with the option 'Open page in...'

If Evernote do not appear in the app list, then is because you have iOS 5, and there is a problem with the number of applications that can appear in the list, which is fixed in the iOS version 6

jp09

But I can do that!

Open the page that you want to send to Evernote, and try with the option 'Open page in...'

If Evernote do not appear in the app list, then is because you have iOS 5, and there is a problem with the number of applications that can appear in the list, which is fixed in the iOS version 6

Thank you, rbianchi.

Not as clean/easy as the pre 4.0.1 PU, but it does work. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forums - I'm guilty of lurking though.
I've been in love with Penultimate for awhile now, as the writing seems to be smoother than any app I've tried. But version 4 is not usable for me either. It works as designed and I have no technical issues, but the auto-sync makes this unusable for my methods because:

1. I too do not want to send everything for filing in evernote, only once done working on a note does it go there (if not deleted).
2. After sending a note from Penultimate to Evernote, I delete it from Penultimate eliminating clutter. I can't seem to do that with the new version (though I'm not sure if this may be operator error and not a design flaw).
3. No option to edit notes in the Evenote client. It's is a serious drawback for me.
4. Since notes are read only, I cannot change what notebook they go to from an ios device. They seem to all have to go to a single designated notebook as chosen in the Penultimate app.  

If anyone has found workaround a to these challenges, please reply!
Luckily the older version was still in iTunes and I was able to downgrade...

• 2 weeks later...

The syncing changes are SO BAD with this new version. I think this is much worse than the Skitch 2.0 changes that generated enough negative feedback that EN admittedly put all-hands on to bringing back old features. I can only hope that we can pull off a similar feat here because the app has been RUINED for most of my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived