Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Android

Evernote for Android 5.0 beta1

evernote

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 xdelplanque

xdelplanque

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hi All,

Here is the first beta of Evernote for Android 5.0.

We are starting some important new features, the first one will be multishot camera.
Snapshot captures will now provide a custom experience so you can capture a series of pictures.
If you want to keep the default phone camera, you can go to Settings / other option and change the Camera Settings.

Known issues:
- The feature still has some instabilities. On phone with a small heap memory, you may experience some crashes. We are working on improving this
- In the meantime, you can try to zoom in or switch back to the phone camera in Settings (see above).

Here are the links to download:
http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

Please give it a try and let us know your feedback!

Thank you.
Xavier.

#2 Matt Temple

Matt Temple

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

This seems stable on my Galaxy Note 10.1 for a first beta I didn't want to install it on my phone but who knows after an hour with it I think I might.

Thanks

#3 gustavgi

gustavgi

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Version jump from 4.5 to 5.0 but pretty much nothing new, that's a letdown... And sometimes I wonder what factors Evernote use to decide which new features they should pursue for upcoming versions... At times, it's like the needs of the avarage user doesn't seem to be one. Or maybe even worse, the needs of the heavy user....

#4 AndreasM

AndreasM

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

I really wonder who is asking for this particular feature? I'm reading this forum regularly and never saw such a request....
Whereas, there are so many old requests being simple ignored by EN. Does it make sense????

#5 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Evernote gets requests via other channels than just the forums. And they also have their own ideas about what should go into Evernote (if they didn't, then how would they have ever gotten started in the first place?). And even so, all requests, wherever they come from must be prioritized. The prioritization process is internal to Evernote.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#6 xdelplanque

xdelplanque

• 820 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Jefito is right.
Also, adding our own camera capture process is the first necessary step to other camera related features.
If multishot wasn't on the top of your wish list, I am pretty sure that other are.

#7 GaryLKing

GaryLKing

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

The multi-shot thing works well, but if I hold the camera in horizontal orientation, the shutter button is in the midst of the pictures & not active.

Nexus Galaxy
Android 4.2.1

Regards,
Gary

#8 gustavgi

gustavgi

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Jefito is right.
Also, adding our own camera capture process is the first necessary step to other camera related features.
If multishot wasn't on the top of your wish list, I am pretty sure that other are.

What jefito said is pretty obvious. The critique was aimed at the internal prioritization.

My personal requests are also irrelevant as long as they are not among those in demand by others.

In my opinion, the most important question during development should be "what do our users want/need the most, that we are still able to do without having to depend on decisions made on a multiplatform level".
As mentioned by Phil at ETC, Evernote already has millions of users who at this time already has spent alot of time using Evernote. Therefore maybe the biggest challenge for Evernote is to develop a program which is good at helping you find the info that you ALREADY collected. And as long as the focus keeps remaining on new ways of collecting information, and not on the process to optimize each platform for finding the collected info, you will not have a balanced weigh scale.

So easy access to recent notes, a good overview of saved searches, tags, quick navigation between notebooks, quick navigation within a tag-tree etc. should not have to wait to Evernote version 9.3.

Evernote is a great product and the small improvements that keep coming every month also shows that Evernote takes product development very seriously. I just wish that the distance between the developers and the end users were smaller.

#9 bacizone

bacizone

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Any news about the proper search function within the notes?

#10 brihanrohan

brihanrohan

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Jefito is right.

What jefito said is pretty obvious. The critique was aimed at the internal prioritization.

My personal requests are also irrelevant as long as they are not among those in demand by others.

In my opinion, the most important question during development should be "what do our users want/need the most, that we are still able to do without having to depend on decisions made on a multiplatform level".
As mentioned by Phil at ETC, Evernote already has millions of users who at this time already has spent alot of time using Evernote. Therefore maybe the biggest challenge for Evernote is to develop a program which is good at helping you find the info that you ALREADY collected. And as long as the focus keeps remaining on new ways of collecting information, and not on the process to optimize each platform for finding the collected info, you will not have a balanced weigh scale.

So easy access to recent notes, a good overview of saved searches, tags, quick navigation between notebooks, quick navigation within a tag-tree etc. should not have to wait to Evernote version 9.3.

Evernote is a great product and the small improvements that keep coming every month also shows that Evernote takes product development very seriously. I just wish that the distance between the developers and the end users were smaller.

My sentiments exactly. The sole reason I keep coming back to these boards and reading change logs is to see if they have ever gotten around to improving the browsing interface, and the closest they get is to change the look of things without making our actual notes any easier to find.

#11 xdelplanque

xdelplanque

• 820 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for sharing your opnion.
Some features that would help retrieve your notes are part of the scope for the next release.

#12 ric

ric

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I agree that improvements to display and searching for notes should be a top priority.

Another top priority is harmonizing features and editing across platforms. If anything this worked somewhat better before and is now completely broken. It's virtually impossible to edit a note created on the Windows desktop application on the Android app. If I create a checklist, I can check items off on my android but making edits is extremely cumbersome. The latest Windows 8 metro app beta seems to have fixed this so I hope it's coming soon to the other platforms.

#13 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Sometimes the so-called "obvious" needs to be stated, particularly in public forums because not everyone has the same understanding of what "obvious" is, due to lack of experience in software/product development. Regardless, internal prioritization is a black box to us outside of Evernote -- you don't know what most users want, and neither do I. Evernote has their own idea on the topic, and they also probably have a better understanding of implementation issues, which also factor in.

I agree with the sentiment of most of this, but with upwards of 40 million users, but maintaining a short distance between development staff and users is a difficult thing to do. This may also be obvious, but Evernote does pay its developers to develop, not to do user support. So as fascinating and gratifying as it is to get to know some of the innards of Evernote from the devs point of view (since I am a developer as well), it's just not practical to have them spending a lot of time on the forums explaining every choice that they make (or is made for them by their bosses).
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#14 indrex

indrex

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

While all I'm looking for is proper editing.Seriously, get the basics corrected on 'priority'.

#15 spip72

spip72

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

While all I'm looking for is proper editing.Seriously, get the basics corrected on 'priority'.

It's been more than half a year since I cancelled my premium subscription and moved to a different notes platform exactly because of the poor editing support on android. I just visited this forum to see if there has been any significant improvements, but I guess not?

#16 indrex

indrex

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Which platform did you move to? I have an annual subscription but given the editing/sync issues, I might switch too.

It's been more than half a year since I cancelled my premium subscription and moved to a different notes platform exactly because of the poor editing support on android. I just visited this forum to see if there has been any significant improvements, but I guess not?

#17 spip72

spip72

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'm on Google Drive now. Some benefits with google drive are:
- Proper text editor on web and on android.
- I can also save spreadsheets and edit them on both android and web.
- Google drive addresses offline notes differently than evernote does, and I think that results in less security issues than evernote has with offline notebooks (theft situation)
- The sync features can even sync multiple edits on both platforms in the same document without raising a conflict (as long as you don't edit the same text block).

However, the options for organizing notes are much better in evernote, and I really miss that. There are also some 3rd party apps with great support for EverNote, that do not offer the same for google drive. For example LectureNotes that I use for ink notes on my tablet. That's why I keep coming back here to see if the editor has improved.

Which platform did you move to? I have an annual subscription but given the editing/sync issues, I might switch too.

#18 sjrixon

sjrixon

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

What about the android client concatenating words? Any update on that fix?

#19 Shem

Shem

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Yes, please!

and I have had no problem editing my notes in android?

#20 AG3

AG3

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

support voice to words?!! WOW! Chinese works fantastically.

WELL DONE:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote