(Archived) Evernote "Missing Notes" Problem

Greetings from the Philippines!

I have this problem. I downloaded Evernote in my Android ICS 4.0.4 for the first time and after installing, I immediately opened the app. First thing I did was I created an account, after that is that I made 3 important notes then I closed the app without logging out. When I opened Evernote yesterday to update my notes, I was shocked because it was gone, all the 3 notes. I checked Evernote in the web and checked my account but still my notes were not there. I've been reading discussions regarding this but I didn't find an answer. I can't even sync in my Android. Hope you'll help me with this because the notes were really important to me. Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*

In the current Android app it's necessary to click a 'tick' in the top left corner of the screen to save a note. If you close that screen without saving there's a warning popup that you're about to discard information. Once you've saved the note,

Evernote needs to sync with the server to make your notes available in the web page and sync them to other clients like your desktop. If the notes you made weren't saved for some reason, then the information is lost.

If they were saved and synced with the server, you may find them in the web client.

If you can't find the information on your phone or in the web page however I'm afraid it's gone.

Thank you for the reply, gazumped. In regards to saving my notes, I didn't forget it. I am pretty sure that I saved all my 3 notes because the warning pop-up you mentioned didn't appear while I was making the notes. I also remembered that I clicked the save button on the top left corner of the screen but after saving my 3 notes, I didn't sync it. But the question here is why is it that all of the notes were gone even though it was successfully saved? Is it an application bug or something?

• Level 5*

Have a look in the Trash folder on your desktop, and check for a 'conflicting changes' notebook in both desktop and mobile clients.

If the notes have genuinely gone they're gone - but I run a Galaxy S2 and frequently save notes, and while there have occasionally been problems syncing notes I've never 'lost' something completely. I don't believe it's a bug, but what combination of circumstances contrived to hide these particular notes you may never know.

I can only suggest that you continue to use your Android as a trial - and not on anything vital - for a short while, carefully running through the steps to save notes after creation or edit, and see whether something similar happens again. If not, maybe it was your initial unfamiliarity with Evernote, a random keypress or just a network glitch that caused this issue.

Some experienced mobile and tablet users make extra copies of essential material in something like DropBox or an external word processor as an extra backup against any loss of data.

• Level 5*

Thank you for the reply, gazumped. In regards to saving my notes, I didn't forget it. I am pretty sure that I saved all my 3 notes because the warning pop-up you mentioned didn't appear while I was making the notes. I also remembered that I clicked the save button on the top left corner of the screen but after saving my 3 notes, I didn't sync it. But the question here is why is it that all of the notes were gone even though it was successfully saved? Is it an application bug or something?

In addition to Gazumped's excellent advice, I'd also suggest opening a support ticket (see the link in my signature), because customer support has the tools and experience to help out more than we can. I have had data loss on other platforms for various reasons (pretty rare, but it has happened), but I have never lost a note completely on Android or any other platform. This sounds very odd, and definitely something about which the developers would like to know more.

• Level 5*

You're welcome - just as a final comment: Evernote does work offline, but you have to set your notebook on the Android to 'offline search' so that the contents will be downloaded to the mobile. You also need enough storage space on the mobile to keep those files - but with a new account that shouldn't be a problem.

Archived