(Archived) What Does MergeEver Do?

• Level 5

Can anybody explain to me what MergeEver actually does?

It sounds like it applies styling to existing notes - which could be really handy.

Unfortunately I'm having a hard time with the iTunes description's English.

Anyone got any experience with this one? I've bought AutoEver from the same company (Shamrock, though they're not Irish) :-) and liked it. So actually quite happy to take a gamble with MergeEver.

• Level 5*

The developer is speaking in Japanese. The English subtitles seem pretty accurate to me. The music is Irish (?) because they are Shamrock Records (?). It makes it tough to listen to, but I think I get what is happening.

MergeEver merges notes :)

Before, you could only merge notes on the desktop. Now you can do it in iOS too. With this app, you can merge a bunch of them, choose the order you want them to appear in the merged note, and apply a few styles of some sort (maybe to the titles). I have not used the app, and I might be completely wrong, but that is what I see happening in the video. The options on the screen say stuff like title, tag, style, after merge move to trash, apply location data at time of merging, time, order, etc.

• Level 5

That's what I thought I saw happening. But I wondered what the styling rules in particular were. Might make a good post-facto templating system. I think you'll agree it begs a bunch of questions.

And I'm actually not knocking his English. You should hear my Japanese. :-)

I'm just looking for user experiences. And actually I'm quite prepared to send him some suggested text - if I have some. Maybe like AutoEver I should just buy it and play with it. I seem to recall @May doing a video review of one of Shamrock's products... :-)

• Level 5*

That's what I thought I saw happening. But I wondered what the styling rules in particular were. Might make a good post-facto templating system. I think you'll agree it begs a bunch of questions.

And I'm actually not knocking his English. You should hear my Japanese. :-)

I'm just looking for user experiences. And actually I'm quite prepared to send him some suggested text - if I have some. Maybe like AutoEver I should just buy it and play with it. I seem to recall @May doing a video review of one of Shamrock's products... :-)

These developers have a bunch of apps. Here is May's review of one.

I bought MergeEver but I don't use it. :)

You can merge notes (and also do most other things) in MoveEver so there's little reason to use MergeEver.

MergeEver can merge notes in lots of different styles

8396549400_d33186d618_b.jpg

but they all do pretty much the same thing, with some very very slight difference , e.g. use different font.

Some examples:

Simple style is pretty much all I ever need:

8395466157_a715a27c0d_b.jpg

@Surf_Fish's style:

8396549616_55fab79b57_b.jpg

• Level 5

So if I were to "merge" a single note, applying a style in the merge process, that would effectively just apply a style to that note. Right?

And can I create my own styles? By the comments on the lower styles it sounds like you have to submit them to Shamrock somehow?

And in any case from what you said, @May, these styles are almost indistinct.

Am I getting this about right?

So if I were to "merge" a single note...

You can't merge a single note

Here's a todo style for example:

8396608132_e74c4c9f3d_b.jpg

As you can see different styles affect only note titles in the merging process, the merged note is always pretty much the same.

In other words the only difference in the final note is in areas between merged notes, styles aren't applied to notes themselves. Hope this makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Orthogonally in this vein I enjoy using EverLog.

It's not much to look at, but allows you to create templates for structured capturing of data for posting into Evernote.

You can then launch a template by a special URL in various ways or just select in the app.

Then it automatically creates a note title based on rules you create (perhaps including day, week, month, virtually anything) and add the tags you want.

You can create a form which collects whatever info you want.

It can create one new note per day and append all subsequent entries for that template through the day, or just keep appending to the same note.

It's very flexible and brings lots of order to the free-formness of Evernote.

Journalling could easily be one use.

Work journally is one way I use it.

Once an hour it pops up a specific template and lets me brain dump what I'm working on.

Another template lets me quickly capture new project or work items, all structured as needed.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/everlog-log-for-evernote/id483489952?mt=8

Archived