(Archived) Evernote 5.0.5 Beta

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi everyone,

Big beta release today. It's available in-app or directly from this link: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseMac

Hope you like it!

Release Notes

New Features

• Shortcuts are synced with your Evernote account
  • Searches can be scoped to "My Notes" which excludes shared Notes
  • Business users can scope searches to "Personal Notes" or "Business Notes"
  • Notes clipped using Evernote Clearly are beautifully styled
  • AppleScript can create checkboxes in ENML
  • In Expanded Card View, pressing Return opens Notes
  • New button to jump to a Note's Notebook from the Note Editor

Other improvements

• Large accounts sync much more reliably
  • Tags from Joined Notebooks now appear correctly
  • Corrected image and link pasting issues
  • PDF printing is more reliable
  • Fixed Snow Leopard Sidebar visual glitches
  • Fixed crash when taking screenshots
  • Korean image indexing is greatly improved
  • Reduced CPU/memory usage
  • Fixes to Saved Searches
  • Various fixes for Evernote Business
  • Improved handling of Tags in AppleScript

36 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Just install last beta 5.0.5 over 5.0.4 and I realize that the message 'Processing...' is displayed continuously in the lower left corner. However, the synchronization seems to work correctly.

What is processing?

This happen in an iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I had a long period of processing as well. Maybe an hour or more (mountain lion).

Once man's junk is another man's treasure... I jumped up and down when I saw the shortcut syncing. Shortcuts are my real Evernote menu and I am devastated when I have an issue and have to resync only to lose all of my shortcuts! Thank you Jackolicious! Great work. I still need notebook limits raised, but I'll be grateful today. :D

Regarding a preference for syncing shortcuts: https://www.evernote...76b857eb3788455

trumpetg, I'm not sure what you mean about highlight a tab in the sidebar. We do highlight the tabs in the sidebar.

When checking for upgrades in my 5.0.4 version, EN says there is no upgrade available. Should I wait for En to post the upgrade inside EN? Should I download new version posted by Jack... here at the forum? Should I wait for new version to be posted in Mac app store?

Please advise

Thank you.

• Level 5*

When checking for upgrades in my 5.0.4 version, EN says there is no upgrade available. Should I wait for En to post the upgrade inside EN? Should I download new version posted by Jack... here at the forum? Should I wait for new version to be posted in Mac app store?

Please advise

Thank you.

Hi. I could be wrong about this, but I think the appstore does not allow them to put the beta update option into the app anymore. My recommendation would be for you to uninstall the appstore version and install the one directly from Evernote instead. http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

(2) Lose Focus

- While working on a note, suddenly the screen will go blank. The right pane is dark gray. The center pane is light gray. And at the top it says 0 Notes Found. I have a search in the search field, but my note still meets all of the criteria. This has been happening to me a few times a day since the overhaul a few months ago (previously reported as well). Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm seeing this as well.

• Level 5*

(2) Lose Focus

- While working on a note, suddenly the screen will go blank. The right pane is dark gray. The center pane is light gray. And at the top it says 0 Notes Found. I have a search in the search field, but my note still meets all of the criteria. This has been happening to me a few times a day since the overhaul a few months ago (previously reported as well). Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm seeing this as well.

It is driving me crazy. I don't know how many times in the last few months I have had to press cmd + r, redo the sort for last updated, and find the note I am editing. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one.

"When checking for upgrades in my 5.0.4 version, EN says there is no upgrade available. Should I wait for En to post the upgrade inside EN? Should I download new version posted by Jack... here at the forum? Should I wait for new version to be posted in Mac app store?"

I noticed this as well but found that under preferences - software update, "update to beta versions" was not checked. Since 5.0.5 is beta, it would not list it when I clicked "check for updates". Once I checked the box, it found 5.0.5 and did the update.

Hope that helps.

Just install last beta 5.0.5 over 5.0.4 and I realize that the message 'Processing...' is displayed continuously in the lower left corner. However, the synchronization seems to work correctly.

What is processing?

This happen in an iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8

trumpetg, I'm not sure what you mean about highlight a tab in the sidebar. We do highlight the tabs in the sidebar.

Jack, I meant tag, not tab. Sorry.

When we select a particular tag in the sidebar it should remain highlighted, like the Notes and Notebook icons do. At the moment tags light up only for a second when first selected and then can no longer be distinguished from other tags. In other apps with a sidebar, like iTunes or Mail, when a selection is made, it is graphically clear that it has been selected. Before v5 this used to be true of En too.

So can we have selected tags highlighted once more please.

I cannot logon to this beta.

I had to logon, forgot my pw. Had this reset (working in the web edition).

but now i get the loginscreen, enter username and pw.

then the login screen disapears and I do not get any message, and i do not get the evernote window.

in the preferences i cannot select a default notepad, so it seems, that the login was not sucessfull

regards

Oliver

Hello. What's the little right arrow for that appears next to the notebook on the note I'm viewing. (Attached a quick screen snap below). Doesn't do anything, that I can make out. Believe it's new with the latest beta? thanks :-)

post-66576-0-68263400-1358904996_thumb.j

• Level 5*

Karen, if you're editing a note in an "All Notes" view, you can easily jump to that note's notebook.

Any idea why my notes are disappearing (as reported above), and any workarounds I can use to stop it from happening?

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/b1a2f0e2-c5d1-4009-834a-8d7a747efce3/cc15f2c42454bf8a1ef11c1977479494

Bug report:

Sometimes hot keys of indent and outdent didn't work properly.

When it happens, the situation is :

Hot key of outdent doesn't work.

And hot key of indent works but it indent too much... It aligns text to the right.

Text encryption does not work for me in EN 5.0.5 beta on Snow Leopard. I can decrypt old encrypted text, but I can not encrypt new texts.

However the encryption function works in Mountain Lion.

This is normal or a bug?

• Level 5*

Oh, no, you didn't :o I do not want the same shortcuts across my devices. Now I am forced to see work-related notes when I am using Evernote on my laptop that I use when I am not working. And vice versa (just to give an example, there are other problems with this behaviour).

As far as I am concerned, they show correctly when they don't show at all. I certainly do not want to see my colleague's tags show up everywhere and interfere radically with my own use of tags. This is incredibly frustrating behaviour.

Instant downgrade.

(Edited for spelling bugs)

I have to agree that I would want the ability to customize these behaviors. Some people (like myself) would definitely want to sync shortcuts across devices (and someday across platforms). Others wouldn't want this. And, I definitely do not want to se anyone else's tags. This is something I have criticized in the Windows threads as well.

• Level 5*

Hi everyone,

Big beta release today. It's available in-app or directly from this link: http://www.evernote....e=PrereleaseMac

Hope you like it!

Release Notes

New Features

• Searches can be scoped to "My Notes" which excludes shared Notes
  • Business users can scope searches to "Personal Notes" or "Business Notes"
  • Notes clipped using Evernote Clearly are beautifully styled
  • AppleScript can create checkboxes in ENML
  • In Expanded Card View, pressing Return opens Notes
  • New button to jump to a Note's Notebook from the Note Editor

Other improvements

• Large accounts sync much more reliably
  • Corrected image and link pasting issues
  • PDF printing is more reliable
  • Fixed Snow Leopard Sidebar visual glitches
  • Fixed crash when taking screenshots
  • Korean image indexing is greatly improved
  • Reduced CPU/memory usage
  • Fixes to Saved Searches
  • Various fixes for Evernote Business
  • Improved handling of Tags in AppleScript

YAY!

(1) Scoping Searches

- The feature seems to work as it was designed to, and I think this is definitely an improvement. Is there any chance we will be able to also filter out results from joined notebooks? I know this is probably an impossibility, but:

a. Having the search field over there in right field is a real pain, especially when you want to scroll through that center pane of notes. Is there any chance we could move it to front and center like it is on Windows? Of course, this would necessitate getting rid of the dropdown stuff, but it wouldn't be missed by me :)

b. Is there any chance we could have the search filters added to the search grammar? Without it, searches behave differently in every client and saved searches (at least for me) they have become almost useless. I am down from a couple dozen or so to just two, and I will probably drop another because it is causing me issues on the iPad. I feel like the fragmentation of the clients seems to be getting worse over time, especially with the search behavior, which is really at the center of everything I do on Evernote. More on searches later.

All nice, but without wanting to sound negative - is the configurable toolbar back on this release?

If not - why? What is the problem with having a configurable toolbar like pretty well every other Mac app? And like the previous versions had but which were taken away?

Not everyone likes to work through menus, or multiple clicks, or keyboard shortcuts. Some - like me - prefer to put buttons on the toolbar, such as Print, Delete, New Note, etc. And also to have the ability to rearrange the toolbar using spaces, variable spaces, and changing exactly where the buttons are. That's how I have things in the previous version which I'm still using. For example, my search box is directly above the top of the snippet list.

And I really don't want to go back up to the newer version until I can adapt it to my own workflow preferences, among other things.

• Level 5

GM, you can filter to "My Notes" which removes Joined Notebooks. This is currently only available for non-business users. https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/b9c4dfc1-926b-42f7-aaa8-e2366f03341c/114bd6a298ae003783187fff02e8eb09

There is currently not grammar to support scoping of searches. However, Saved Searches with scopes work properly on all platforms which support it. Expect greater parity in the coming months.

NightStalker, I completely understand your desire for a configurable toolbar and we'll do our best to accomodate.

• Level 5*

GM, you can filter to "My Notes" which removes Joined Notebooks. This is currently only available for non-business users. https://www.evernote...3187fff02e8eb09

Ouch. I am a business user... Well, I will give it a test with my non-business testing account and see what happens. Thanks for explaining!

There is currently not grammar to support scoping of searches. However, Saved Searches with scopes work properly on all platforms which support it. Expect greater parity in the coming months.

I am a little confused by "saved searches with scopes," because I do not understand what you mean by scoping. If I save a search that I "scoped" to just look at Business, that will get saved with the saved search? Interesting, especially if we get better parity across the platforms.

NightStalker, I completely understand your desire for a configurable toolbar and we'll do our best to accomodate.

Great to hear. I have a few suggestions, as always :)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/41cbadb8-cde3-4876-9d06-7b945f8ea1e6/f8bd093aa748dc975b007f8b42f37928

• Level 5*

I am a little confused by "saved searches with scopes," because I do not understand what you mean by scoping. If I save a search that I "scoped" to just look at Business, that will get saved with the saved search? Interesting, especially if we get better parity across the platforms.

Yeah, this confuses me as well. We know that there are scope modifiers in the grammar (notebook: and the as-yet undocumented in the Developer's docs stack:), and we know that saved searches -- to date, anyways -- are no more than literal search queries (which conform to the search grammar). So how does a saved search save scope without it being in the grammar? Is there now something else saved to the side in a saved search indicating scope?

Also, with respect to "greater parity" -- is this saying that we can expect parity of other clients to the advances in today's Mac client? Or something else?

Could you please also include in your accomodations the return of highlighting a selected tab in the Sidebar. I can't for the life of me understand why this has been repeatedly overlooked in v5. And it's a far less radical request than restoring the old style toolbar.

Thank you, meanwhile, for all the other fixes and improvements.

Oh, no, you didn't :o I do not want the same shortcuts across my devices. Now I am forced to see work-related notes when I am using Evernote on my laptop that I use when I am not working. And vice versa (just to give an example, there are other problems with this behaviour).

As far as I am concerned, they show correctly when they don't show at all. I certainly do not want to see my colleague's tags show up everywhere and interfere radically with my own use of tags. This is incredibly frustrating behaviour. Edit: Also, they - tags from shared notebooks, that is - show up even when I do a search with the search scope set to "My notes".

Instant downgrade.

(Edited for spelling bugs too)

Jack - thank you! At last - something to look forward to that may encourage me to upgrade. Plus all those other suggestions of course, like highlighting tags, and all the other comments made by others above here.

But a very sincere "thank you" for considering the reintroduction of the configurable toolbar :)) YEAY! :D

• Level 5*

(2) Lose Focus

As far as I am concerned, they show correctly when they don't show at all. I certainly do not want to see my colleague's tags show up everywhere and interfere radically with my own use of tags. This is incredibly frustrating behaviour.

Instant downgrade.

(Edited for spelling bugs)

I have to agree that I would want the ability to customize these behaviors. Some people (like myself) would definitely want to sync shortcuts across devices (and someday across platforms). Others wouldn't want this. And, I definitely do not want to se anyone else's tags. This is something I have criticized in the Windows threads as well.

Syncing shortcuts is a preference.

Ideally you'd be able to choose which devices have their shortcuts synced. For example, I'd like my iPad and MBA to sync their shortcuts, but not the iMac at home.

Nice! I see at least one critical bug fixed (searching for and opening a note with Spotlight when Evernote was not running caused one to lose note contents). However, another one I've found is still here: there's no way to remove a <h1> heading element from top of a note.

Archived