(Archived) When is the mac windows client coming to windows?

beholder121

• Level 5*

Never, if I have a vote.

Modulo "when": Evernote does not generally release their roadmaps, but if you're interested in knowing things before-hand, then you can always sign up for the beta program.

It will be... good? Yes, good!

What?? Tell me it ain't true... Tell me you're not REALLY gonna muck up the Windows client like has happened to the Mac client... please... :o

The Windows client is currently working just fine. The Mac client (newest version) is still awful, and why I'm using the previous version.

The Windows client does not NEED to be changed. It works. It is one of the reasons that Evernote has become famous. Please DON'T "improve" it like you did with the Mac version

OK - add a couple of little features here and there - Grumpy will have a list. But don't change the UI, don't remove ANY features that currently are working nicely.

As one poster said above to the OP - be careful what you wish for.....

It will be... good? Yes, good!

What?? Tell me it ain't true... Tell me you're not REALLY gonna muck up the Windows client like has happened to the Mac client... please... :o

The Windows client is currently working just fine. The Mac client (newest version) is still awful, and why I'm using the previous version.

The Windows client does not NEED to be changed. It works. It is one of the reasons that Evernote has become famous. Please DON'T "improve" it like you did with the Mac version

OK - add a couple of little features here and there - Grumpy will have a list. But don't change the UI, don't remove ANY features that currently are working nicely.

As one poster said above to the OP - be careful what you wish for.....

I like this point. Stability is the most important reason I choose EN other than other memory recording products, even if EN becomes worse a little bit .

Some new features at new version on Mac look like awesome, but please stability first, thanks.

What I I'd like to see mostly is better integration with maps and geographical locations. Currently I use Evernote Food for many things, but while it looks good on the phone, it doesn't really look great on the windows client. That said,does work just fine, under note details. I'd like if Evernote's UI looks better than just a bunch of tables, and I understand this is exactly what most users here do NOT like. Maybe an option to turn it off and on?

• Level 5*

Options and customizability are what I like the most about Windows. The more the better! If children can hamdle the information density in video games like Halo, then I can handle it in my external brain :)

Here are a couple shared notes with comparisons of the clients for Windows users who want to know more about Mac (looking at the notes will not give you Apple cooties).

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/e0533319-72d3-443d-a506-299cdc4b791e/69092ec3e95fad10495698bf3329fdbd

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/41cbadb8-cde3-4876-9d06-7b945f8ea1e6/f8bd093aa748dc975b007f8b42f37928

• Level 5*

I like the stylish layout of the Mac version :-) (Windows looks a little bit old baken) This design and the stability plus functionality of the Windows version would be good for me ...

Yep. I don't think the Mac team can be criticized for lack of style! Well, maybe they can, because they might not be on the cutting edge out there in Silicon Valley sartorially speaking (how many of us have adopted black turtlenecks and jeans?), but the stuff they design is top-notch :)

I do think the functionality and customizability of the Windows interface is crucial, especially when we are talking about managing something as important and unique (to each one of us) as our external brains.

I like the stylish layout of the Mac version :-) (Windows looks a little bit old baken) This design and the stability plus functionality of the Windows version would be good for me ...

Problem is that style has become more important than function. I'm quite happy with the "old" look of Evernote - after all, my spreadsheet programs (Excel on PC, or Numbers on the Mac) aren't particularly stylish. Style is nice - but ONLY when it is secondary to function. That discussion has been had many times on these forums since the release of ENv5 on the Mac, and the new iOS versions.

Style should be the icing on the cake, and only if it doesn't impact on function at all. Unfortunately, that has happened bass-ackwards with the new Mac and iOS versions.

• Level 5*

My computing career started in the days of DOS - there was no such thing as "style" in the UI back then. All you had for fonts was Courier. I tend to go with the "Classic" view wherever possible. I HATED the 2007 MS Office ribbon when I was forced to use it. Menus were so much easier! Now that I have been using Office 2010 for a while, I still hate the 2007 ribbon (I am forced to use it at work), but I love the 2010 version. My point? Give me the option to use the classic view if I want, but eventually, when the bugs are squashed, I may come to like the modern version. So, I am quite happy with the Windows version of EN (don't have a Mac) but if you give me a WORKING upgrade, I will probably learn to live with it!

Wow! We're talking about important data here. It should be displayed in a reasonable format that lends to being able to easily and quickly orient with the data. This ain't no entertainment facility! Massive change is very disruptive.

If it is not pretty enough, then put on some colored glasses, or paste a colored overlay on your screen.

Problem is that it seems to now be assumed that the new visual people (they think they are) are in charge, and never mind the millions of previous users. I'm starting to wonder about these people.

Some improvement is good, but throwing out everything just to make it look new and different, is just wrong!

Go watch a movie, or swap over to your pinterest. The product must continue to function with as little disruption as possible!

That's my opinion, based on a real need to be able to productively function, over looking pretty.

• Level 5*

As a third stage Evernote guild navigator might say:

"Listen to me: The spice (I mean updates) must flow! The UI gives us the metaphysical abillity to see beyond: To have superior powers. Our power to fold space is in the UI! Without a great UI, our external brains would be lost. Scattered in isolated notebooks! We would be lost!"

We sound like some melange junkies out here :) Don't mess with our supply!

Go watch The Matrix. We're there. People have been taken in. I'm seeing it. Function/reliability don't matter. It just needs to feel and look right. Everybody else is just acceptable loss to the "artsy" people.

By the way, too bad y'all didn't run XP Media Center Edition. It looks better than XP, and much better than Vista or 7. Too bad they didn't propagate its look up to now. The Mac people might have liked it. Maybe everybody would have. 7 looks dull in comparison.

• Level 5*

We are *not* in the Matrix. *eyeroll*

That's just what someone in the Matrix would say :)

Well, XP is fine and good, but I was quite pleased with W7, so I'm not sure about that comparison. If you look back over the last couple of years, I'd say the Mac team has been pretty consistent in their approach, especially when it comes to paring down functionality and tightening up the interface to present less information in a more friendly way to newer users. At least, that is what I see. It's not that we're in the Matrix or anything, but that we have a design philosophy being implemented. The more specific we are about our use cases, the more likely that developers will keep them in mind when they design updates. The "Matrix" and "XP" might be criticisms that are a bit too vague to produce any results.

See. You have not seen the Media Center version of XP. Completely different look. Butter than XP, Vista, and 7.

Might kick the Macintosh junk, too. Windows are slightly curved at the top sides, and borders better.

Like I said: Too bad MS didn't go forward with its look..

In any case, I'm holding at 4.5.10.7472, so EN can ***** up anything they want to. I'm good. Never recommend it again, though.

I saw others that are sitting at like 4.3 was it, 'cause they were screwed by newer updates. Whatever.

PC's only sold originally because it is MINE - "Personal Computer". It's mine, not the cloud's.

I worked on IBM mainframes for 35+ years, and we valued upward compatibility over all else, and fought hard with vendors for it. That is what built this country. *flagwave*

<grumble, grumble...."get off my lawn"....mumble, mumble>

I use EN on both my Macbook Pro and my Windows machine, and with all things being equal (and they are...sync works great, apps work great, no problems at all), I ENJOY working with Evernote on the Mac more because of the UI. My Mac is going to my daughter for a while until she finishes school, so I'll be stuck with only the Windows version and that makes me sad :(... Please provide the same stylish UI on both versions! I won't complain, I promise!

• 4 months later...

I use EN across my iOS devices, MacBook pro and a Windows machine. I struggle constantly with the disparate UIs and trying to find my stuff. The Mac UI does a much better job at allowing me to organize my notes in a fashion that enables quick retrieval. I would love to see more predictable continuity across these platforms.

Archived