Evernote and Powerpoints....

I'm fairly new to Evernote and have watched several videos, but my question is......I'm using it for college and my professor posts the lectures (powerpoints) on the school board. I was wanting to download the powerpoints into Evernote in the actual body of the note, not as an attachment, and make changes in the actual note that I copied. How do I go about doing this? Do I have to be a premium user? I watched the video where you open the powerpoint, which I have Keynote, and save it in downloads and then just drag it into Evernote, but when I do that it just shows up as an attachment, which I can then double-click and open and make changes, but I want to be able to see the actual powerpoint in the note and make changes in there. It seems like anytime I try saving it it just saves as an attachment. Please help! Thank you!

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums. Evernote displays the PDF inline if you're on a desktop, but for mobile and tablet applications, what you get is an icon. You could save the PDF as a series of JPGs if you really have to see the pages - pictures always display.

Hi - welcome to the forums. Evernote displays the PDF inline if you're on a desktop, but for mobile and tablet applications, what you get is an icon. You could save the PDF as a series of JPGs if you really have to see the pages - pictures always display.

I was on my Macbook Pro and when I drug it to the note it just showed up as an attachment. I opened the powerpoint in Keynote and was able to drag each slide over to the note so I could see them in the note itself, but it wouldn't allow me to make changes in the note.

• Level 5*

Not enough of a maxpert here to know what format the slides wound up in, but they sound like images; probably hence why Evernote won't allow you to type in them. Can you normally edit PDF files on your Macbook? Oh wait - you're saying powerpoint now? PPT files? Can you normally edit these?

The normal process on a Windows machine would be to doubleclick the icon in Evernote's window to have the file attachment open in whatever software you have that can edit that file type on your machine. You then make changes to the file and save it back to Evernote.

After doing some more reading I think I understand, which, in part, was my not knowing exactly how it worked with my other programs as far as editing. So please let me know if this is incorrect.....I can not save a pdf or ppt in evernote and change the actual format unless I open it in preview for pdf or keynote for ppt. I make my changes and then save it back to evernote. I was thinking I could just click in evernote and make the changes right inside the note. Also, I've read many people just use Dropbox to do all the editing and then save the final document in Evernote. I opened my ppt lecture and saved it as a pdf and then copied that into evernote, I changed it to show as an attachment but when I opened the note to make changes it wouldn't open in preview for some reason, so I guess I'll just keep playing around with that. My next question is......do I need to save all the pdf's inline, or can I save the pdf's as an attachment and they still be searchable? Same with powerpoints, do I have to copy each slide into the note for it to be searchabe, or will it search the ppt in attachment form?

• Level 5*

You're right that you need to open a file in an app - preview or keynote - to make changes. If you then save the file back to its location in Evernote, you have changed the file attached/ embedded to that note. The reason many edit the original first and save later, is that you use part of your upload limit to save the original note; then you use the same amount (give or take your changes) to re-save the file with edits. Whether you save the files inline or attached they will still be searchable - provided they meet the OCR standards for size, pages etc. Powerpoints are not OCR'd however - you'd need to convert slides into a PDF file or export them to pictures. They would not be searchable otherwise.

• 1 year later...

I use Microsoft Office 2013 on a machine running Windows 8.1

- I know that you said you have keynote so you are using a Mac, but I would be suprised if you could not do this on a Mac...the instructions just might be a little different.

in powerpoint, I always go to File --> Export --> Create Handouts --> and then I select however I want my handouts to look, and click okay

powerpoint then conerts your slides (and notes if you choose) into a word document.

I go into the word document, click Ctrl + A (select all) and then I click Ctrl + C (copy) and then I go into an evernote note (I use evernote for windows - the newest version) and I click Ctrl + V (paste).

If you already know the keyboard shortcuts, I appologize because I was not trying to assume that you did not know what they were, but not everyone does.

**You can also (in Powerpoint) go to file --> save as --> and select as images (jpeg OR png) and powerpoint will export each slide as an image which you can then import into evernote.

You can also open up a powerpoint files, go to the "notes" view and just take notes from within the powerpoint file and have the file in a note in evernote and just keep it saved there.

Or you can export the powerpoint as a PDF and edit the PDF.  The options are endless, but I tend to do what I explained first in this post.

Hope this helps!  Also - sorry if any of this has already been answered - I only read the original post! 

• Level 5*

Thanks @RCBeall1 - that's a useful reminder;  I forgot PowerPoint can export to various formats.  Evernote can OCR JPG files for anyone and PDF and Office files for Premium users.  If Prem users export to word,  the content would be indexed anyway.  (As PowerPoint is also part of the Office package I wonder whether it is also indexed - might be worth a test to make sure).

I think the OP's need though was mainly to annotate PPT files.

Thanks @RCBeall1 - that's a useful reminder;  I forgot PowerPoint can export to various formats.  Evernote can OCR JPG files for anyone and PDF and Office files for Premium users.  If Prem users export to word,  the content would be indexed anyway.  (As PowerPoint is also part of the Office package I wonder whether it is also indexed - might be worth a test to make sure).

I think the OP's need though was mainly to annotate PPT files.

Thank you gazumped.

I probably should have specified that doing the following things I listed above can allow you to annotate it in different ways.

Some people would rather import powerpoint into word and annotate them there, or export them as images and annotate the images.  One of the more popular ways of annotating would probably be .pdf if you have a pdf editor.

I like to paste them into word because I can annotate them easier by drawing on them / highlighting under the slides, etc.

Evernote does in fact index powerpoint, word, and excel files.  Or at least they do on my windows PC.  Whatever way you decide to annotate, they will be indexed (Unless you wish to use handwriting...in which case only images will be indexed for handwriting).

• Level 5*
Evernote does in fact index powerpoint, word, and excel files.  Or at least they do on my windows PC.

Again,  thanks for the confirmation.  I knew word and excel were covered,  but I use a lot of those file types and relatively little powerpoint;  good to know for certain they're all included.

Archived