Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

can you password protect a notebook or note?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 mediafred

mediafred

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Is there a way to password protect a notebook or notes so if you post a link somewhere to content it can be protected?

Thanks.

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Is there a way to password protect a notebook or notes so if you post a link somewhere to content it can be protected?

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!
You cannot password protect a notebook. You can encrypt the content of a note if you are using one of the desktop clients. See the instructions in my signature for your device.

#3 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

... and you can use a password-protected file to limit access to the content of a note, or you could move the content to another notebook and leave a direct link to it in place; if the person viewing the note doesn't have permission to see it in its new location, they won't be able to get through the link. (Provided the new location isn't already open).

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#4 mediafred

mediafred

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

... and you can use a password-protected file to limit access to the content of a note, or you could move the content to another notebook and leave a direct link to it in place; if the person viewing the note doesn't have permission to see it in its new location, they won't be able to get through the link. (Provided the new location isn't already open).

1. By "password-protected file" do you mean to use your computer OS to password protect a file that you attach to an Evernote note?

#5 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,696 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

1. By "password-protected file" do you mean to use your computer OS to password protect a file that you attach to an Evernote note?

Not the computer OS as such, but much software - MS Office, Adobe PDF etc - offer options to save an encrypted file that requires a password before it will show its contents.

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#6 Peak Scott

Peak Scott

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'd like to be able to password protect a notebook because I use evernote on an iPad used by my family so I'd like to prevent them from being able to get into certain notebooks.

#7 Wern

Wern

• Title: Evernote Evangelist
  • 779 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

As Grumpy and Gaz have already said above, you cannot password protect a notebook. You CAN individual notes.

As a workaround you may be able to get what you want in setting up a 2nd EN account with ONLY your personal and private notes.

Check out the Getting Started Guide or Knowledge Base. View user Manuals: Windows, Mac or Android.
Still doesn't work? Submit a support request here.

#8 chimoose

chimoose

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

As Grumpy and Gaz have already said above, you cannot password protect a notebook. You CAN individual notes.

As a workaround you may be able to get what you want in setting up a 2nd EN account with ONLY your personal and private notes.

Ok, but HOW do you password protect an individual note? I am trying on the web (Mac OS) and on my iPhone, and cant see any way to add password protection to an individual note.

#9 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ok, but HOW do you password protect an individual note? I am trying on the web (Mac OS) and on my iPhone, and cant see any way to add password protection to an individual note.

The desktop versions of Evernote will allow you to select all of the text in a note, and encrypt it using Evernote facilities. This text can be decrypted on any Evernote client, even the mobile ones, I believe, at least you can do this on the Android.

~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#10 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Only the desktop clients allow you to encrypt a note. You can decrypt a note on any platform (as far as I know), but you can only edit the content using desktop clients (as far as I know). 

#11 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

@GM: Two minds that work as one. (or two half-wits making up one mind?) :)

~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#12 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

@GM: Two minds that work as one. (or two half-wits making up one mind?) :)

The latter :)

I should have quoted your post. I was just clarifying some of the points about decryption and encryption on different clients. As a side note, as far as I know, the manual (in my link) for OSX doesn't mention encryption at all, even though it is certainly possible. It is a little confusing for users (here I am climbing up on my soap box again to berate the poor folks at Evernote about insufficient documentation of the products they spent all of this time developing!) to know what can / can't be done on each client.

Well, I guess if there was documentation, the forums wouldn't be quite so busy, so it gives us something to talk about!

#13 szyworld

szyworld

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

I'd like to be able to password protect a notebook because I use evernote on an iPad used by my family so I'd like to prevent them from being able to get into certain notebooks.

Not sure if this would work for you or not but I was looking for something similar. My work around was to use aNote app on iPad. I can lock specific folders that then sync with Evernote. I password locked Evernote on my iPad so if someone does need to get to my Evernote notes I let them access it thru aNote not the Evernote app on the iPad. But I do really wish that the locked folders in aNote would automatically be locked folders in Evernote that way they would also be locked on the desktop or web.

I will also add that I don't share my iPad with my family. Im actually very protective of it and really do not like any one else using it. 

I have used the encrypting text for some things but it really is not practical for "journal" like note. I realize that Evernote isn't really intended to be used as journal but it actually works very well for me.

#14 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I realize that Evernote isn't really intended to be used as journal but it actually works very well for me.

Hi. The nice thing about Evernote is how flexible it is, and I doubt the developers could even say everything it is intended to do. I bet they are hoping people will come up with their own ways of working the app into their lives. I find Evernote to be particularly well-suited to journals, and that is one of my main uses for it :)

#15 Snakebit

Snakebit

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Darn...back to OneNote. These options aren't really viable for the business world.

#16 Cecem1

Cecem1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thanks.

I figured out how to password protect an individual note.  First of all I have an iMac and an iphone 5, I use Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I needed to password protect because I wanted access to it on my iPhone. The file was password protected in Excel on my iMac so I had to remove the password, then send the file to Evernote via an attachment. I could then open it with no password. I went back into the Excel file on my iMac, added the password, then synced Evernote...Voila. I can now open the file on my iPhone using the password.

#17 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

I figured out how to password protect an individual note.  First of all I have an iMac and an iphone 5, I use Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I needed to password protect because I wanted access to it on my iPhone. The file was password protected in Excel on my iMac so I had to remove the password, then send the file to Evernote via an attachment. I could then open it with no password. I went back into the Excel file on my iMac, added the password, then synced Evernote...Voila. I can now open the file on my iPhone using the password.

FYI, password protected Excel & Word files are very easy for hackers to get into. The best option is to use a true password manager.

I would also suggest you change your display name from your email address.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#18 marklyn

marklyn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

I too was wanting a way to password a note but it looks like you can only password/encrypt the text in a note.  While that is pretty good, it doesn't help me in all situations.

For example, I want to make copies of certain documents for an upcoming Italy trip (ie: Driver License, passport, insurance papers, etc.,).  Because those are images, not text, there is no real way to encrypt or password protect them in Evernote.

You could zip them up first and then password protect them but then you need assurances of whatever device you're using has that same type of uncompression program available, plus it's extra steps.

I vote that notes can be password protected or encrypted in some way!

Regarding the previous comment on ease of cracking passwords for Office files, true, if you use weak password, but if you use very strong passwords like I do, then I thik it's unlikely someone would bother after a reasonable amount of time and effort.

#19 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,696 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

You can add images to PDF files and make a portfolio of your documentation in a password-protected PDF file (If you have/ have access to a PDF editor).  If you're browsing away from home,  it's certain that any computer will have Adobe Reader so you can open the file...

#20 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

You can add images to PDF files and make a portfolio of your documentation in a password-protected PDF file (If you have/ have access to a PDF editor).  If you're browsing away from home,  it's certain that any computer will have Adobe Reader so you can open the file...

To take this a step further, there is a dfiference between password protecting a PDF & password encrypting a PDF.  Again, encryption is the most secure way to go.

Regarding the previous comment on ease of cracking passwords for Office files, true, if you use weak password, but if you use very strong passwords like I do, then I thik it's unlikely someone would bother after a reasonable amount of time and effort.

All you have to do is Google to find any number of apps that will crack passwords.  Even when using a strong password, if the document is only password protected & not password encrypted, it's one step easier for someone to get into.  It's kind of like locking your door but putting the key under the mat.  I don't see the advantage of using a password protected document when there are other, better, more secure ways to store sensitive data & they don't require any extra effort.  Just like when I lock my door, I take my keys with me.

I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote