Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Manual Sync in iOS

evernote

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cahunter

cahunter

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

I have been an Evernote user ever since I got my first iPhone in September 2009. I have a love-hate relationship with Evernote, in part because of the frustration I have in using the iPhone client. From the very start, I have hated the fact that Evernote iOS doesn’t provide an option to turn off auto-sync. I know I can turn off auto-sync unless I’m on Wi-Fi, but I basically don’t use Evernote on my iPhone to create notes anymore, because of the delay always associated with starting the app. There is simply no “quick” way to take a note of any kind—even a simple text note—with Evernote iOS. I am running iPhone 4, which I realize will have slower operating speeds, both internal and internet, but I had this problem even when my iPhone 4 was new (which was long before iPhone 4S was released). I am also operating the latest version of Evernote iOS. Am I missing something? If not, I would love to see Evernote introduce this as an option. Anyone else?
  • May likes this

#2 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Best option for fast text notes into EN on the iPhone is the FastEver app. Simply brilliant!

http://www.google.co...357700187,d.d2k

#3 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

I have been an Evernote user ever since I got my first iPhone in September 2009. I have a love-hate relationship with Evernote, in part because of the frustration I have in using the iPhone client. From the very start, I have hated the fact that Evernote iOS doesn’t provide an option to turn off auto-sync. I know I can turn off auto-sync unless I’m on Wi-Fi, but I basically don’t use Evernote on my iPhone to create notes anymore, because of the delay always associated with starting the app. There is simply no “quick” way to take a note of any kind—even a simple text note—with Evernote iOS. I am running iPhone 4, which I realize will have slower operating speeds, both internal and internet, but I had this problem even when my iPhone 4 was new (which was long before iPhone 4S was released). I am also operating the latest version of Evernote iOS. Am I missing something? If not, I would love to see Evernote introduce this as an option. Anyone else?

In my case, it usually starts up pretty quickly, but then there are those times it hangs. It can be quite frustrating, because I never know when it will become unreaponsive. I wish they'd solve the problem. It is one that has been around for years, though. FastEver is nice, and probably the best solution for the forseeable future.

#4 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Adding a note like 'Dentist Monday' including loading FastEver from the home screen & typing the note takes approx. 8 seconds (add 5 seconds if you want to watch it finish syncing, although you don't need to) :)

In the end FastEver really only does one thing, so its not a surprise it does it well.

#5 Ninotschka

Ninotschka

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

+1 for FastEver.

Other options, if speed is more important than the option to format and assign tags or notebooks as you create a new note, are Drafts (works for many other services as well, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Byword, Omnifocus, Dropbox) or Captio. They send notes to your default notebook where you can process them later.

#6 Levi

Levi

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I have not tried FastEver, but it sounds great!

I haven't used an iPhone for awhile, but I thought that you could create a new note even if the app was not finished with sync?

Other things that have made some difference for me with mobile versions of EN:
1 - As a premium member I can sync databases onto the mobile device. That sped up time to sync.
2 - Email a new note into EN from whatever email client. Again, this assumes you have an EN "inbox" that you periodically sort out.

#7 cahunter

cahunter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Sorry I’ve not responded to all the lovely suggestions. It turns out all the emails were going to my spambox. I’ve tried FastEver before and tried it again since I saw it suggested here. There’s something about it that I don’t like; the main thing, I think, is that sometimes the note I want to type isn’t a quick note, even though I want to be able to start typing it quickly. I’m concerned about leaving the note in FastEver. That may be irrational, because maybe the app is fully equipped to handle it. Anyone had trouble with FastEver losing longer notes before they are uploaded? Thanks for all the feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote