(Archived) Suggestions on workflow

I've just started using Evernote and am trying to figure out some workflows. My main issue is these intensive weeks at work where every day is a 10h meeting on oracle structure etc, diving insanely deep into processes. What I did before Evernote was to just type everything in word, one doc per day. But this is really messy and hard to go through.

How would you handle this in Evernote? One note per day or per topic or subtopic? The subtopics can be attached to several topics etc.

Oh. And this is the first time in life ever taking notes during meetings. Scary ;)

Hi,

I have a 'Diary - 2013' 'Notebook' where I put a new 'Note' in for every day.

During the day I will type all sorts of tasks in the days 'Note' and each task has a 'tick' box and line underneath. As I work on each task I will type, or copy emails or information from customers and suppliers.

Once all 'Tick' boxes have been ticked as the tasks are completed the 'Note' goes into 'Diary - 2013 Completed' 'Notebook'.

I have this information stored since before using Evernote back to 2007 and it is invaluable.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I've just started using Evernote and am trying to figure out some workflows. My main issue is these intensive weeks at work where every day is a 10h meeting on oracle structure etc, diving insanely deep into processes. What I did before Evernote was to just type everything in word, one doc per day. But this is really messy and hard to go through.

How would you handle this in Evernote? One note per day or per topic or subtopic? The subtopics can be attached to several topics etc.

Oh. And this is the first time in life ever taking notes during meetings. Scary ;)

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I do something similar to Chris. I work everything into my research journal for the day, and when I encounter something that is a little lengthy, I just break it off into its own note and make a note link to it. It's pretty easy to do (it might take about five seconds). I think the key with this stuff is to have a few "rules" that you follow for organization, and familiarity with the search parameters. One rule I would suggest is using YYMMDD in the title. I have written more about it here: http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

Couldn't agree more with the above suggestions, and also wanted to mention Tags. If for example, you're taking notes about 'oracle structure' and tag it with something you'll remember like OS or even just 'oracle structure' you'll be able to search for it in a number of ways. Or you could tag a note with who else was in the meeting. That way if you find yourself in a situation like, "Dave told me something important last Friday, but I can't remember what' you can find it by searching for the day, or who was at the meeting.

Everybody's workflow is different, so it mostly depends on what kind of rules you can set up and then follow.

Archived