HOWTO: Removing Evernote branding from emails

I am sorry I can't find the answer to this in other posts....

Is there a way to remove the Evernote branding from emails sent from Evernote? When I upgraded to premium, I expected the Evernote ads to be gone from the shared notebooks AND from emails. Apparently it is only the former. My emails still have Evernote frames and links on them and I would really like them to not.

I love Evernote, and I spread the word every day. I've tried to get everyone here using it. But that's a serious drawback to me. One of the main things I want to be able to use this for is sending things from my phone that I have stored in Evernote. For personal things I don't really care. But for business items..... it's not that Evernote embarrasses me. :) But in business, you really want the process to be transparent and you don't want to send someone a presentation with another companies ads on it. I thought that's what I was buying when I upgraded. I knew it wasn't mentioned specifically in the Premium pitch, but I I hope I am not the first person to assume "no ads...." meant in all things shared from Evernote.

J

There isn't currently an option to remove the Evernote identifying information from emails that you send via the web service. We didn't really intend these to be "ads", but we appreciate the feedback on this from your perspective.

Thanks for the response....

And I hear you. I would disagree.... if you are showing your name to my networks, my contacts, etc., I would call that advertising. But you say tomato, I say advertisement.... whatever.

:)

As i say, not the end of the world by any means. Evernote is like magic, and I love it. But that's exactly what I want when I am at a trade show and a client asks me to send him a rate sheet or document. I want it to appear like magic as I type a few clicks into my iPhone and it is magically in his box. Whether it's technically an ad or not, this being on an email like that is like doing the trick but letting the audience see the strings.

Just means I am less Harry Houdini and more Boffo the Magic Clown. I can live with it. But I will celebrate the day this changes.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I seriously think that the ads in emails should be removed for premium users and reduced for free users. My main problem with the ads is that they don't display correctly in many mail clients. I tried sending an email of a note from EN to itself (i.e. using the incoming email *****@m.evernote.com). The received note was really ugly.

I agree. I hold back from send emails to clients when I know they will be carrying a branding message of sone other service.

It would b egreat to do so but I cannot until they are removed.

I am happy to be a premium user ( I believe we need to pay if we want something ) but the premium service would be so much more if the emails were sent without the large Evernote message included.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

I also am disappointed that the branding remains even now that I've upgraded to premium. I carefully avoid using this feature because of the unwelcome branding. At the very least, please remove the BOX format of it. A simple message at the bottom (ala "sent from my iphone") would suffice, and look far more sophisticated at the end of a PDF than having a green border chopped up across multiple pdf pages.

• 1 year later...

Here's why I won't use the Evernote email function.

I don't want people knowing where I store my data. Even if I trust the recipient of the email, I don't know who they forward to. Some aspects of my life are public and political, and that means there is always the potential for malicious entities to pry. Now, I don't keep anything as sensitive as financial data or credentials or anything else that I would feel the need to encrypt on Evernote, but I do proprietary business and personal data there.

Another thing is that I associate email footer advertising with free services, such as yahoo mail, and as a business person I don't want to create the impression that I am not using business solution for my communications. I would be happy to pay a somewhat higher premium prices to get rid of the email ads.

Of course, I would still want a more robust (not in any way full-featured) email function.

Here's why I won't use the Evernote email function.

I don't want people knowing where I store my data. Even if I trust the recipient of the email, I don't know who they forward to. Some aspects of my life are public and political, and that means there is always the potential for malicious entities to pry. Now, I don't keep anything as sensitive as financial data or credentials or anything else that I would feel the need to encrypt on Evernote, but I do proprietary business and personal data there.

Another thing is that I associate email footer advertising with free services, such as yahoo mail, and as a business person I don't want to create the impression that I am not using business solution for my communications. I would be happy to pay a somewhat higher premium prices to get rid of the email ads.

Of course, I would still want a more robust (not in any way full-featured) email function.

I think the email function right now is fine as it is and doesn't really need to change. But the EN branding really needs to go though.

I think the email function right now is fine as it is and doesn't really need to change.

This is the development I am asking for:

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=19799

Hmm... It's an interesting approach to this and a very logical one, but wouldn't this mean that you would have to have Evernote know your username and password of your email in order to have it sync to the 'sent items' folder?

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I just purchased a premium account a few minutes ago and registered here to say that I'm fairly disappointed to see that the branding still exists in the emails. At the absolute minimum, the Evernote branding should be in the footer in gray and not the very first thing the user reads when receiving the email. One of the main reasons why I purchased a premium account was that I thought the branding would be removed, but reading these comments, it doesn't look like it. I can see this as a good selling point to get people to go premium as well. Free users get Evernote branding in email, Premium has the option to remove.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Evernote, but really think that the service should be transparent, especially when sending out emails to clients at a professional level. To put this into perspective, it's almost like doing business with a Hotmail email address.

Yes, I agree.

From MY perspective:

- The branding looks unprofessional. I don't send emails to clients from evernote because of it. I think it would make me look unprofessional for using what appears (to someone unfamiliar with evernote) to be an unprofessional product. Branding on mobile phones is different. It has a practical purpose, in that it explains the brevity in messages.

From Evernote's perspective:

- IMHO, it seems Evernote might get more folks to take premium accounts, if they removed the branding from premium accounts.

I only use (or plan to) the EN mail function to send blog posts to wordpress, and that BIG evernote ad is the main thing that is preventing me from doing so...

I would not mind at all if it was at the end (i.e. Sent from evernote).

As it is now, I send it as a draft and edit the Evernote bit out...

I would be more inclined to keep it in if it was at the end...

I'll throw my hat into the ring.

It's a poor message to send either direction. If you have to put a sticker with your company name on it everywhere, you're struggling. If you can't afford the level of service that removes the promotional adds, you're struggling.

That's not the message I want this useful app to send. :lol:

Please remove this for premium users, or minimize it and convey that it's a premium account.

I don't like the new send e-mail in v4, I really loved it in v3 where it open Outlook and compose a mail that you can edit.

Now in this version I can't change sender e-mail and not even remove Evernote branding.

Count me in for "remove branding in e-mail for premium" :)

I would also like to add that the subject line "I have shared an Evernote notebook with you" is very undescriptive and can get very annoying after receiving many of these in my inbox, not knowing which is which.

I would also like to add that the subject line "I have shared an Evernote notebook with you" is very undescriptive and can get very annoying after receiving many of these in my inbox, not knowing which is which.
FWIW, a workaround is to send the email to yourself. Then you can forward & remove the "From Evernote" line before sending.

BurgersNFries, not really helping. It's a work around, we all know those, but what is wanted is a fix.

Having anything like "From evernote:" or other branding which adds no value to the reader of the mail is just spam.

• Level 5*

Well, Dave has responded in this thread and BnF has offered a workaround.

This isn't something that Evernote need to 'fix', this is a design choice that they have made.

It's clear that at the moment the 'branding' remains, this may change in the future but for the time being if you don't like it then the best bet is to follow BnF's advice.

BurgersNFries, not really helping. It's a work around, we all know those, but what is wanted is a fix.

Ummm...I know...

FWIW, a workaround is to send the email to yourself. Then you can forward & remove the "From Evernote" line before sending.

But you just may have to use a workaround unless & until the Evernote info is removed, integrated with your contact list and subject line editing added, etc, etc, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I vote for this feature too. I am a premium user, I love evernote and I have recommended multiple premium users; it's EXTREMELY annoying, insulting & invasive having evernote brand my emails.

Get rid of this for premium users, or AT LEAST GIVE US THE OPTION (99% will never disable).

Branding the bottom is an improvement but still invasive.

Guest mrossk

How many of you remove the default sig "sent from my iPad"?

I think most people don't even know that they send this signature because it is not shown at the bottom of the mail when you write it.

In contrast to Outlook which writes every signature in the mail so you can see and remove it.

How many of you remove the default sig "sent from my iPad"?

I think most people don't even know that they send this signature because it is not shown at the bottom of the mail when you write it.

Just like the EN branding. The EN branding is not shown, either, when preparing the EN email.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly don't get why some people think this looks "unprofessional". How many of you remove the default sig "sent from my iPad"?

I definitely remove all that, or upgrade to the paid version so it's not mandatory. It's the first thing I do upon configuring a new email client, making sure my sig is consistent across all platforms, mobile and desktop, and that someone else's company isn't on top of my company's branding. I'm pretty sure my CEO and the Marketing department would look ill on me mixing branding like that--so I'm not even going there--I'll be using BnF's workaround--thanks for that!

Evernote isn't a corporate approved tool, but it certainly helps me get my work done. I do *not* want to draw undue attention to it, in case they try and make me stop using something so desperately handy (they're pretty decent about giving us leeway, but it could happen).

I just need everything to be simple, transparent, and professional.

• 8 months later...

I rather eloquently made this request in 2008 I believe. Got a validation on how branding might not be a desirable professional look, and thanking me for that perspective.

Guess what? It's 2012. Aint gonna happen.

• 3 months later...

I simply don't email my messages thru evernote.

I copy and paste to my mail software.  

Honestly that's the only thing that prevents me from going premium.

Suggestion for Evernote's FREE user accounts:

If everyone has to give a little bit to make sure its fair for both sides, just change the spot "from Evernote".

The way it is displayed right on top of the title of the note making it seem like it is coming from you. 

You are not the author of our messages. 

Be elegant and discrete at the bottom of the message.

You won't make it seem like the content of the message is coming from Evernote and your brand is still there. 

Premium accounts its a no brainer:

Give the option to not have anything there at all at the user's preference. 

Just common sense to me,

Thank you!

• 8 months later...

That this is still not an option is pretty ridiculous. Yes, it isn't a bug. But Evernote is no longer a small company pushing hungry for new customer acquisition. They have a large base. Conversion rates are probably be a critical facto Doing everything they can to give paying customers freedom from the ads should be done. This is a horrible relic that should be killed.

And it is just plain, old bad form. Remove the ads but not your own? There is no good reason for a recipient to know where the email comes from. And resorting to a workaround is BS.

I can choose a custom footer on Apple mail on an iPad or iPhone. Or choose none at all. You want to default to this? Fine. We need an option out.

So unprofessional and tone deaf

That this is still not an option is pretty ridiculous. Yes, it isn't a bug. But Evernote is no longer a small company pushing hungry for new customer acquisition. They have a large base. Conversion rates are probably be a critical facto Doing everything they can to give paying customers freedom from the ads should be done. This is a horrible relic that should be killed.

And it is just plain, old bad form. Remove the ads but not your own? There is no good reason for a recipient to know where the email comes from. And resorting to a workaround is BS.

I can choose a custom footer on Apple mail on an iPad or iPhone. Or choose none at all. You want to default to this? Fine. We need an option out.

So unprofessional and tone deaf

Chiming in  that I totally totally agree with this and've  put it strongly to customer support a few times actually, quite a while ago. 

It IS unprofessional to send branded business memo's. Drive, Dropbox etc couldn't dream of it.

They are taking the liscence to mark, ie: taint my data. Even a very small Evernote note at the bottom, although would be better is still a compromise to my note. 

It really surprises me that at least for premium members they don't get that and at least offer mailing options. 

Workarounds are lowbrow fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

Please add me to the list of Premium customers that want the option to remove the "Sent from Evernote" footer from emails sent by the Evernote desktop client.

Thanks!

me too... I'm not crazy about a work-around that costs time... time-savings is the main reason I'm here as a Premium subscriber.

complaints since at least 2008?  A successful company is one that listens and responds to its customers.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this is really makes the originator look like a hack. 

"Evernote helps you remember everything and get organized effortlessly. Download Evernote."

Evernote is supposed to be slick, screaming professionalism all the way. But then with my important messages, I have to send people this tagline. Practically embarrassing, with the link even being green.

Its been years, so having it go away is probably not a reality, which is silly for a premium subscriber. But why not at least adopt the industry trends of sleek and minimalistic. 

My suggestion is that they replace the current

"Gee, we can help you remember all your wonderful things, and make you really really super organized and super duper smart.... so please download our app right away" link with something more like a simple "Powered by Evernote"  They can even leave it in green.

Evernote has built a great brand and service. If I saw something coming through the email with that simple link, I think I would get it  (as most people would), that there is something special going on with regard to how this email was originated. And I would go and find out more. 

With that said, there still should be an option out. 

EDIT: It's even worse than I thought. Originating email sender is shown as "Via Evernote" right there at the top of the email (might have been added by Google Gmail).  

EDIT: It's even worse than I thought. Originating email sender is shown as "Via Evernote" right there at the top of the email (might have been added by Google Gmail).  

That's a google thing. I just tested this out by emailing a note to myself and my mail provider and client show my own email address, unadulterated. 

To the Evernote team: Am actually going to cancel my premium membership because of this ad.

It clearly is standard now to remove ads from premium accounts, and I think it looks unprofessional to have "branded e.mails": it looks like you have no money to pay for the premium version or a proper software. 

If my e.mails look cheap, then I'd better not pay for it!

It's sad, because I like to support Evernote, but this really is a no-go for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Please add me to the list of Premium customers that want the option to remove the "Sent from Evernote" footer from emails sent by the Evernote desktop client.

Thanks!

me too... I'm not crazy about a work-around that costs time... time-savings is the main reason I'm here as a Premium subscriber.

complaints since at least 2008?  A successful company is one that listens and responds to its customers.

Me, too! These footers should be eliminated (or at least give Premium members the option to deselect the feature). I can do the forward workaround, but it makes no sense to do in 2 steps what can be done in 1.  Isn't the point of being able to email directly from Evernote to be able to email directly from within Evernote? It's inefficient and makes no sense to have to forward from within the mail client. I'm sure others don't mind, but for most professional settings, such footers feel tacky/spammy and they just shouldn't be there at all (especially for paying customers).

-Bryan

If you search back this has been expressed a number of  times.....started by myself at least once and I've also directly created a ticket for it because it's just an unseemly business display. 

Result : nothing as you can see. 

They don't get it or don't care. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'd like to add my voice to the choir!

Please give premium subscribers the option of sending email without that sentence. Most of the time the message generates confusion: {"Oh thanks, I'll have a look into Evernote} but I'll rather be in charge of what I want to say. Despite the fact that Evernote helps organizing my stuff all the way I use it also to send important updates to my clients and the bottom line sentence in this email looks very unprofessional.

We are not asking much: give us the option!

Thanks

Evernote helps you remember everything and get organized effortlessly. Download Evernote.

Evernote helps you remember everything and get organized effortlessly. Download Evernote.

I agree that this is a reasonable request. I don't agree that Evernote "doesn't get it or doesn't care". I am sure they do get it and I am sure they do care. This doesn't necessarily mean it will produce the result that any individual desires though, unfortunately. 

It is important to remember that

1) Evernote might recognize the need to change this and will eventually get around to it after dealing with other much higher priority stuff (e.g., bug fixes and so on). When they do get around to it, it may also not be a quick fix. Even simple things take time when you have to do it across X clients. No doubt if this is on their todo list, it will be below the myriad other pressing issues they also have to manage. 

2) They recognize that some users (remember, we on this forum are a minority of the 80,000,000 users) find this irritating (though I am sure there are many more who find it irritating who are not on this board) but have chosen not to change it. This would be unfortunate, but for better or for worse, this is their prerogative. 

That being said, this has been brought up in a number of threads and the threads grow quite large, so there is no doubt Evernote has heard the request. At this point it is a matter of putting up with it until such time as it is changed (if this ever occurs), using any of the workarounds suggested throughout these threads, or if it is such a major hinderance, finding a new service to replace Evernote. 

I am choosing to put up with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in.  Advertising is loathsome:  it is an attempt to influence behavior in a way that benefits the advertiser regardless of the benefit to the influenced.  In interpersonal relationships, we call that "manipulative", and we denounce it.  I will _never_ send an email branded by Evernote to anyone but myself, any more than I would invite my friends over and once here try to sell them electric sandwich browners.

Fwiw, I not only changed the "Sent from my Apple pip" that Apple leaves as a default, I have helped dozens of people remove it as well.

Here, have a picture of cat:

2014-04-04%20at%2021.53%202x.png

Do click the link.  I'm thinking of making that the footer of all my posts.

• 1 month later...

Update on the footer for outgoing emails: I have good news--we've added a setting to the personal settings of your Evernote Web account that should enable you to disable the footer appended to emails: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s16/sh/2ca913a4-b0d2-4383-a850-8f9ffdfa21ef/edb9e0d0aa9f27784d1978ee87e3d41c/deep/0/Personal-Settings.png

I will say the very large image of the cat licking its chops is what spurred us to action ;)

This couldn't have come at a better time! I'm thrilled that EN listened to the users on this one. Thank you!

Now that the EN branding is out of the way, how about allowing custom footers or signatures making it possible for users to put their own brand or contact information on every e-mail without having to include it in the note?

• 5 months later...

Update on the footer for outgoing emails: I have good news--we've added a setting to the personal settings of your Evernote Web account that should enable you to disable the footer appended to emails: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s16/sh/2ca913a4-b0d2-4383-a850-8f9ffdfa21ef/edb9e0d0aa9f27784d1978ee87e3d41c/deep/0/Personal-Settings.png

I will say the very large image of the cat licking its chops is what spurred us to action ;)

Your link no longer works. Now it's https://www.evernote.com/PersonalSettings.action

Archived