(Archived) Workaround for "4.6.1 Broke 'Add to Evernote 4' for HTTPS"

Annoyed

UPDATE: Right-clicking "Select all" before attempting to "Add to Evernote 4" seems to work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just upgraded to 4.6.1.7860 (268368) Public for IE9 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit.

Can no longer save https pages due to error message "Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls."

URL only is saved to the note.

Neither clicking "Allow blocked content" nor adjusting security settings solves problem.

Is it possible to downgrade to the previous working version 4.5.10.7472?

Thanks.

post-85915-0-97064700-1357951432_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...

One assumes that the "beta" referred by by jbignert on Jan 15 is now the version released two days ago (4.6.2.7927). Still doesn't work.

Premium support has been useless on this issue. They claim not to know anything about it, asked me to reinstall, send logs, etc., never responded after that, then closed my ticket.

How hard can this be? Go back and get the code that worked in 4.5.x and implement that.

I concur with RadicalDad. Evernote Premium Support has TOTALLY been USELESS on this fix. I, too, opened a support ticket. It was also closed without resolution. After many "attempts" at using the "Premium Support" - I've come to the conclusion that they are some type of "ticket center" that knows NOTHING about the product and has no insight into what is actually being worked on, etc. For us, this issue is significant.

We cannot reproduce this issue so if you are affected and have more details on your system, please let us know.

- Windows client version

- OS version

- IE version

Microsoft pointed us here for more info:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/ie-restricted-this-webpage-from-running-scripts-or/1e9606c3-f348-4216-aa8d-ff0aa68ea8f0?msgId=86836b72-26b6-4fca-b50f-5b9394922bdd

What do you mean you cannot reproduce the issue? Your developers have been working on this "bug" for quite some time. Several of us have reported tickets (all of which have been closed prior to resolution of the issue).

Windows 7 Home Premium w/Service Pack 1

IE v9.0.8112.16421 (includes 9.0.12 Update for KB 2761465)

The information provided via 16051-219999:

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project lead.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Evernote Support

Sorry jbignert, usually I'm not one to pile on, but I'm going to have to nail you on this one also. If your support crew doesn't "know" about this issue it is because they are incompetent.

1.) Look around your own forums. There are several threads talking about this.

2.) The information you asked for was requested and supplied at least twice during the farce of an email exchange that was called "technical support." Here it is again:

Evernote Windows client 4.6.2.7927

Windows 7 Pro, fully updated (all updates rated "important" and above)

IE9, fully updated as above.

As for the work-around mentioned by the OP, it does not work reliably, so this is a stopgap measure at best.

The Microsoft issue mentioned in the link you provided is just FUD, sorry to say. That reference is over 8 months old. This issue started with the release of 4.6.1 whereas everything was working fine in December with 4.5.x. Perhaps that issue is related, but it isn't a MIcrosoft problem. The changes your programmers made in 4.6 created the problem.

Looking more carefully now at the OP's problem description, my problem is slightly different, and far more ubiquitous. I suspect that the other posters here have my problem, judging by their comments.

The OP mentions problems only on secure pages (https://) I have the problem on ANY page I try to clip. I never see the "Internet Explorer tried to restrict" message. All I get is a little black box in the middle of the screen which says "clipping" (this is new in 4.6) which often takes far longer than it used to in 4.5.x. When the clip is complete, the only thing placed in the note is the URL placed in the body of the note (and also in the URL field).

This needs to be a high-priority fix. I am certainly skeptical of moving the rest of my organization to a paid Evernote platform with service like this.

• Level 5*

We cannot reproduce this issue so if you are affected and have more details on your system, please let us know.

- Windows client version

- OS version

- IE version

Microsoft pointed us here for more info:

http://answers.micro...0f-5b9394922bdd

All I get is a little black box in the middle of the screen which says "clipping" (this is new in 4.6)

I have a feeling the problem has something to do with this code, trying to make the clipping look more fancy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue here, running Windows 7 x64 and IE 9.  Web clipper still works on my 32 bit Windows 7 machine with IE 9, however. 

Very annoying, I would love to see this one escalated.  Anyone try IE 10?

I can't access Web Clipper with right-click. It shows up under "tools" in IE control bar, and works from there most of the time, but "add to evernote" function disappeared from right click. I can still clip URL. Opened a ticket, they suggested several things, but nothing works. They are working on it now... Does anyone have the same issue?

(Windows 7 64bit, IE 9) 

Similar problem - I am on Windows 7 and Evernote 4.6.3.8096 (268604).

"Failed to initialize Evernote Clipper ActiveX component. Please make
sure that ActiveX components are allowed in your Internet Explorer
settings."

Nothing obvious to me in my IE security settings taht needs to be changed.

Thanks

J

• 2 weeks later...

+1 with the ActiveX problem except I'm using version 4.6.3 and IE 8. My situation seems a little different. Web Clipper WAS working with IE 8 but then I upgraded (momentarily) to IE 10. It didn't play well with too many webpages I visit often, so I reverted back to IE 8 (IE 9 also didn't play well which is why I'm still using 8).

But now, after going back to IE 8 I'm getting this message and unable to save anything.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem.  Clipper working fine, then just stopped working several days ago. I have changed nothing.  ec.jpg 

Using IE 10.0.9200.16521  Evernote 4.6.4.8136 .  Win 7 Pro.  Very Frustrating.  Have reinstalled Evernote.  Still not working..

Please help! 

So this program is now useless unless we get this active x thing fixed.  What is Evernote doing about this?? I have a premium account and can't use the basic function it was designed for!!  What a deal.

Add one more about the ActiveX  component error mentioned a couple posts up. This is the first time I've seen it, but also the first time I've used Web Clipper in a bit. Web security settings have not changed that I know of, and I am the only sysadmin that would have done so. Why no responses from Evernote since February?

The site I tried clipping was an HTTP site (not HTTPS).

I'm using IE 10, on Windows 8, and am getting this problem.

Same issue here, running Windows 7 x64 and IE 9.  Web clipper still works on my 32 bit Windows 7 machine with IE 9, however. 

Very annoying, I would love to see this one escalated.  Anyone try IE 10?

I found the problem. My link to IE changed to point to the 64-bit version of IE. I don't know why that happened, but it also caused another minor issue. So, it appears that the Evernote add-in is not 64-bit compliant but still works fine once I changed my shortcut back to the 32-bit version of IE.

• 2 weeks later...

Still getting same error message I documented in my post of 5 Apr 13.  No attempts by Evernote to resolve this.  Useless....when you can't clip anymore. 

Tried "changing back to 32-bit version of IE 10"  clipper still does not work.  Planning to cancel my Premium account if this is not resolved soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I also moved from one version of IE to another. I was using IE9 and must have clicked on an update for IE10. I've had it before and didn't like it so I went back. I don't believe I've been able to clip since going back. I am running Windows7. I believe I'd just been picking the first IE on my list. i just selected the one that does not say 64-bit and I can clip. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/installing-32-bit-ie-9-on-64-bit-windows/802

• 2 months later...

WIn7 and ie9:  my ie9 shortcut points to 64-bit version so tried clicking on 32-bit version per suggestions here and "add to Evernote 4" in Tools Menu works again (so far)!!  Bound to be some fallout for using 32 vs 64 but time will tell.  Web Clipper accessed by right click on taskbar program works with the 64-bit version, just the "add to Evernote 4" in the Tools menu "failed to initialize evernote clipper activex component"

I use Firefox more often but haven't found "add to Evernote 4" function in Firefox but can still use the Web Clipper by right clicking on the program on my task bar. Not as useful since only does screen shot and can't save anythiing larger

Archived