(Archived) Evernote Smart Notebook by Moleskine for Android

RobW

Hi RobW and khavalier, welcome to the forum :)

The integration between Evernote and Moleskine is, currently only iOS, yes.

EN do want to bring it to android as well (Naturally ;)) As for when, that information is something that EN generally don't release unfortunately.

See posts from Evernote on the subject:

Scott

They have all but guaranteed that it is coming to android and windows

one warning though is that the stickers do not work on all iOS devices, just iPhone. They do not mention this anywhere, but from what I can tell the camera needs to be fairly decent for it to recognize the stickers. This shouldn't be an issue for most new devices, but i wouldn't count on it for an older device.

First we got screwed on Evernote Food for android. Now Evernote Page Camera for android. When I received my Moleskine yesterday, it mention if I wanted to return for a refund, the plastic wrap must not be opened. I now wished I would of sent it back. I mean, why bring a produce out that doesn't cover all platforms. Don't be a half A_ _ company EVERNOTE!!!!!

First we got screwed on Evernote Food for android. Now Evernote Page Camera for android. When I received my Moleskine yesterday, it mention if I wanted to return for a refund, the plastic wrap must not be opened. I now wished I would of sent it back. I mean, why bring a produce out that doesn't cover all platforms. Don't be a half A_ _ company EVERNOTE!!!!!

I was just about to go look at ordering when I noticed the iPod/iPad note - I'd have been really p*ssed if I'd mised that and only when they came found out I couldn't use them. Can toitally understand your annoyance - seems crazy with the massive user base now for Android not to launch support at the same time. I mean really, I love Evernote, but I'm an Android user and will not be changing to Apple. So if Android support doesn't improve, and a rival service starts offering better support - it won't take much to convince me to shift.

Sigh, look at the last newletter too.. iPad, iPod, iPhone, at least three new items dealing with Apple, an not a hint of Android... I am starting to think Apple might be one of their investors... or the other way around...

To be honest, I also have noted that they could have been totally fair and released just the stickers, because what about the non-Moleskine users...

Oh well, as I am sure I wll be told... I have no place telling Evernotes what to do, and of course they want to bring it to Android.. someday...

;-)

I've used Droid Scan on the Play Store for a while and it does some auto-cropping and has some other nice features. You can play with the contrast and drop it down from color to B&W as well as other tweaks before you Share it with EN. Not a perfect solution but I use it to "scan" notes and receipts from my car when I have some time to kill. It can output pdf or jpg.

• 1 month later...

I use evernote on every OS platform - Mac, IOS, Windows, and Android and in every device format - computer, tablet, and phone, but least on the phone. I don't use, and probably won't use iphone. This note capture is the the current feature that I see as most useful for my phone.

Among the most useful features I could imagine for my phone would be voice recording with google voice-like transcription inside evernote, but we won't go there.

You are right Grant837, you might hear someone suggest that you "have no place telling evernotes [sic] what to do" but I would argue that if Evernote really wants to take the product to the people the perhaps they should notice when their users, who live inside of the demographic of 57% of the smartphone OS market share that is Android (see this article in VentureBeat http://goo.gl/4mYwo for more on this).

I'm among the 57% of cell phone subscribers who have and like Android (Galaxy S3 in particular) - and I'm among a smaller group of Evernote users who are Premium subscribers. And, I like to carry around a moleskine notebook to jot down creative or ad hoce ideas and would like to transfer my work quickly and easily into Evernote the way that this feature promises it can.

How about it Evernote? Is your mobile roadmap taking you in the same direction as the mobile user market or on a road less traveled - those little roads are fun, sure, but....

• 2 weeks later...

I did ask for it for Christmas.

And received it.

It came from Italy, then by DHL to Dorset where I went to delightedly receive it. All smiles, telling everyone how marvellous EN is, I opened it, and discovered that I can't use it on my android flyer. Bitterly disappointed.

This is very disappointing for me that I have no page camera feature on my android device, especially since I just drop some money on several moleskine evernote notebooks and now the camera options are not there to fully utilize the book with the app. Real bummer. Wished I had know earlier it was optimized for iOS.

Hello, is there any release date/update on when the Android Evernote app is going to be compatible with the Moleskine Smart Notebooks? You guys are being really vague about it. A lot of Android users would benefit from this if it gets added to your android app, especially students like myself. Plus that is the only reason why I'm not going premium yet.

Thank you.

Ehi guys! I was upset, yesterday, after discovering that Page Camera is not supported by Android apps. Anyway, I'm now using CamScanner (free) and it seems to support the same functionality. Take a snapshot of your note on Moleskine and upload it as an Evernote note: you will see it as a searchable document.

Ehi guys! I was upset, yesterday, after discovering that Page Camera is not supported by Android apps. Anyway, I'm now using CamScanner (free) and it seems to support the same functionality. Take a snapshot of your note on Moleskine and upload it as an Evernote note: you will see it as a searchable document.

Useful thanks - will take a look. I guess the good part of widespread use is plugins from 3rd parties to do what a supplier doesn't. Does feel somedays that us Android users are 2nd class citizens to Evernote, and iPhone is everything to them. Much as I like Evernote, if an alternative came along that put an equal priority on Android I'd move in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm putting it in the right place. Apologies if it isn't.

I have been drooling over the Evernote Moleskine since it was announced but unfortunately being an Android user it's not good to me at the moment (seriously, why does Android continue to get a bum rap?). However, as an artist/ writer/ teacher I'm often scribbling and sketching in notebooks for various ideas.. The way I would use Moleskine would be to make a record of all these ideas and then delete any that become irrelevant, so I'd have an easily accessible record of those ideas I want to keep hold of.

As Moleskine isn't available to we Android users yet I'm wondering if there is a 'workaround' for us we can use until it becomes available. At the moment I'm thinking we could use something like CamScanner to make copies of those notes. Then, we could upload them to Evernote, just having to add tags and indicate what notebook it should be in manually. I've not had the chance to really try this out yet, but it is a theory.

Has anyone else tried to "emulate" Moleskine on Android yet? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts/ how you went.

Cheers.

• Level 5*

Hey folks,

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm putting it in the right place. Apologies if it isn't.

I have been drooling over the Evernote Moleskine since it was announced but unfortunately being an Android user it's not good to me at the moment (seriously, why does Android continue to get a bum rap?). However, as an artist/ writer/ teacher I'm often scribbling and sketching in notebooks for various ideas.. The way I would use Moleskine would be to make a record of all these ideas and then delete any that become irrelevant, so I'd have an easily accessible record of those ideas I want to keep hold of.

As Moleskine isn't available to we Android users yet I'm wondering if there is a 'workaround' for us we can use until it becomes available. At the moment I'm thinking we could use something like CamScanner to make copies of those notes. Then, we could upload them to Evernote, just having to add tags and indicate what notebook it should be in manually. I've not had the chance to really try this out yet, but it is a theory.

Has anyone else tried to "emulate" Moleskine on Android yet? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts/ how you went.

Cheers.

Hi. If I understand what you are saying, you mean that you want to write notes on paper, scan that (scanner or camera scanner), and attach those images to a note in Evernote, right? Sure! I've been doing that for years :)

The only difference with Moleskine is that you can do all of this from within the iOS app, and the stickers will apply the tags automatically. If you want to emulate this behavior, you can make a sticker of your own (all sorts of sticker/label makers out there) and stick it on the paper yourself with a number (see this post about random codes http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html). You won't get the tags, but you will get the OCR results that will enable you to put something like "80b1749" into the search field and filter for only the notes with this code for "student sketch" or "927fh0" for "teacher sketch". It doesn't matter. You can tag them later as you like (they are now filtered for you to do that easily), or don't even bother with tags (me). You don't necessarily need the stickers, but in my experience, my handwriting is so terrible that Evernote cannot recognize it.

Alternatively, you could just scan the paper with whatever program you want to use (or scanner) and email it into your account. If you put #<name of existing tag here> into the subject line of your email, it will get tagged automatically without any fuss.

The Moleskine notebooks are beautiful, and it is a nice integration, so I definitely think it will be cool with Android. However, until then, I think this would be a nice workaround.

• Level 5*
The only difference with Moleskine is that you can do all of this from within the iOS app

Yes, but that's the whole point, it's only available for iOS thus far.

Well, yes, that is true :) I thought you were looking for workarounds, though.

Lack of Android support for Moleskine for this long really sucks. I can see a lag of a month or so, but this delay makes me wonder about Evernote's commitment to their new products.

I wish there was a notification service to which we can subscribe to see when the product is ready. I keep scanning upgrade notes looking for some mention, but so far nothing, and it might not even show if it is a stand-alone app.

• Level 5*

Lack of Android support for Moleskine for this long really sucks. I can see a lag of a month or so, but this delay makes me wonder about Evernote's commitment to their new products.

I wish there was a notification service to which we can subscribe to see when the product is ready. I keep scanning upgrade notes looking for some mention, but so far nothing, and it might not even show if it is a stand-alone app.

Hi. If you subscribe to the announcements (www.evernote.com > Settings > Personal Settings > Emails) and the blog (http://blog.evernote.com/ > see the Email and RSS signups on the right) then you will hear about it immediately. The blog posts (usually by the head of marketing, Andrew Sinkov) are extremely timely and will give you the information you want. You'll notice that it just got updated today, for example, with information about the Mac version of Evernote.

• Level 5*

It really does suck. What pisses me off is how no one is really confirming if it's actually in the works or not. It may never be supported to begin with, and that would be a bummer.

I thought they were working on it, but we just don't know when. This has been reported in at least one tech blog ("The Evernote iOS app recently received a "Page Camera" feature, which takes pictures of written notes and optimizes it for digital archiving. Basically, it improves contrast, removes shadows and sharpens text. (An Evernote spokesperson told us that this feature will be added to the Android app by early next year. However, you can still snap pictures and attach them to notes in the Android version." http://asia.cnet.com/hands-on-evernote-smart-notebook-by-moleskine-62218957.htm), but more importantly, Evernote is pretty strongly committed to the Android platform. This stuff just takes time, I guess.

• Level 5*

No, it doesn't take this amount of time. Trust me. They probably have some kind of deal to release it for iOS exclusively for let's say six months first, and then it would be available for Android later on.

I have no knowledge of the inner workings at Evernote, so I can't speak to that, but the Android app still doesn't support formatting, so I figured a major upgrade like Moleskine integration would have to follow on the heels of a major upgrade to the app. That seems more likely to me than a conspiracy to make Moleskine exclusive to iOS for a certain period of time.

I have heard, however, that the Moleskine Android app was exclusive to Samsung (or some other maker) for a certain period of time, so I imagine that might have had some impact, but I cannot see exactly how. In the end, we just have to wait. There are workarounds, and things are improving at a good pace (in my opinion), so hopefully not much longer.

• Level 5*

By the way, if you want to hear directly from the Elephant's mouth, then take a listen to the Evernote Podcast ("Evernote Podcast #35: Intelligentsy Episode" 18 January 2013, 1:00:07 http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/01/18/intelligentsy-episode/) from 49:20 to 51:15. I think the take-away here is that Android is fragmented and implementing anything is a tough thing to do on the platform. It is on the way, and will hopefully be here soon.

• Level 5*

Thank you, that clears up a lot regarding that topic. I appreciate it.

Glad to help. Let's hope that 2013 sees a lot of great new stuff for Android. By the way, I am pretty sure the CTO of the company uses Android gear, so there is at least one person on the inside at the top pushing for Android improvements :)

As a loyal Molskine and Evernote user I was very excited about the possibilities of this mash up. As soon as i heard about it I posted my excitement on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I pointed my wife to it as a perfect gift for me. With my fresh new Moleskine (always a moment of anticipation and joy) and a long plane ride (without WiFi) I was ready to do a brain dump and see what this baby can do.

Wuh, wuh, whu. I spent the better part of my cab ride and searching for what I was doing wrong. Turns out Evernote might get to it someday and Moleskine has not idea. WTF??

As an Android user I'm disappointed in Evernote's indifference (they could have easily learned how many Android users they have; I use it on all platforms and devices.) in their support and Molskine's vague packaging--it should explain what it does and how, not just potential uses. The whole collaboration smacks of either ignorance or a scam to upgrade to pro services. Either way, they haven't executed it well and this has tainted my impulse to use either.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that part of the Moleskine integration of EN on IOS is the "page camera", which cleans up the image of the notebook page taken with the iphone's camera. This sounds indeed similar to what "scanner" apps like camscanner offer.

I am using camscanner for any paper notes I want to get into Evernote, the results are excellent and the difference to a straight picture is quite striking. The quality is in fact so good that I more or less stopped using a scanner, even for A4 size pages (I am German, A4 is staple food for me and I also use it to take handwritten notes  :) ). Before this turns into an add for camscanner let me say that other apps like genius scan etc. probably work just as well.

Recently I added one more small step into my workflow: After taking the picture with camscanner on full resolution, I share the result to a little app called "reduce photo size", which will do what it says, and from there I share it to Evernote - and that's it. Sounds complicated? The whole process takes about 15s for a business card, and the result is without any distortions, illumination is even, it is very crisp and sharp and just takes 50KB.

So, even if the Moleskine features will one day be available in Evernote for Android, I will not buy a Moleskine notebook - it's not A4...

Yes, there is almost too much choice, and I cannot claim that the following is based on any real testing - it just works for me.

I always use the full resolution of the camera in camscanner, which in my case is 8M. In reduce photo size, I use SVGA for business cards (this will give a file of around 50K), and WXGA for a page of printed A4 (this results in a file of about 150K). File sizes also depend a lot on content, e.g. pictures.

In case of business cards, I share the jpg file directly from reduce photo size to Evernote, in case of printed A4 I prefer a pdf and therefore share it back from reduce photo size to camscanner, which will create the pdf, and from there to Evernote.

Archived