Creating a movies database in Evernote

I'd really like to use EN to keep track of all the movies I've seen - a task I currently assign to Springpad, which has a great search feature that brings up all the relevant data. Is there any way of doing something similar with EN?

• Level 5

Keeping track of movies you've seen is a piece of cake in Evernote.

I'd recommend a structured title format: Date - Location - Theater - Movie

For the note body: copy and paste movie info from a movie web site you prefer

Add a tag to help in the search - movie

Example:

http://www.evernote....5727e85b80396fc

Note the upper right corner below the title has the URL for the page. Click on it to go to the full webpage.

In Evernote, you can search for Smaug or Dwarves or Bilbo, etc.

Or if you want a list of all movies you have seen that were directed by Peter Jackson, you could search for

Tag:movie "Peter Jackson"

I like you idea of Movie database

Still learning about potential of Evernote though, so a question:

I created a Note by using copy section from Evernote icon in System tray of Windows, from the Imdb database like you did.

I then added a Tag Movie to it

I then went to try search

I Tried tag:Movie finds note

I then tried tag:Movie "Peter Jackson" wouldn't find note, in fact it won't find any text with the clipped article.

However it I add to Note by typing in Peter Jackson, it will find it then.

What am I doing wrong?

I am a lover of Evernote for storing lots of information, but as someone who has over 1,500 DVD's I think it would be far to cumbersome.

I use DVD Profiler:

http://www.invelos.com/

This allows you to input and keep the data on your computers, iPad etc. The important thing for me is the storage location and I use these boxes:

http://www.play.com/...se/Product.html

Throwing away the DVD case. I then mark each DVD with the 'Case' letter 'A', 'B', 'C' etc and 1 - 100

Within DVD Profiler I obviously put the location and can easily retrieve the disc.

What I like about the software is you can easily search by actor/actress, genre of movie etc.

Best regards

Chris

Example:

Note the upper right corner below the title has the URL for the page. Click on it to go to the full webpage.

Or if you want a list of all movies you have seen that were directed by Peter Jackson, you could search for

Thanks for your help. It's a little more 'manual' than I was looking for. I was hoping someone might have produced a template I could use to quickly fill in standard movie info.

How did you manage to clip all that data from IMDb? I tried using Evernote Clip and found I could clip the text or the image but not both, unless I clipped the whole page.

Thanks again, appreciate the quick response.

• Level 5

I like you idea of Movie database

Still learning about potential of Evernote though, so a question:

I created a Note by using copy section from Evernote icon in System tray of Windows, from the Imdb database like you did.

I then added a Tag Movie to it

I then went to try search

I Tried tag:Movie finds note

I then tried tag:Movie "Peter Jackson" wouldn't find note, in fact it won't find any text with the clipped article.

However it I add to Note by typing in Peter Jackson, it will find it then.

What am I doing wrong?

You have to sync the info up to the cloud to run the OCR, then sync back down to your local client.

If you are premium user (front of the line), the OCR process takes just minutes

If you are a free user, the OCR process will take longer - hours possibly.

• Level 5

I am a lover of Evernote for storing lots of information, but as someone who has over 1,500 DVD's I think it would be far to cumbersome.

1,500 DVD's - Holy Cow!

That works out to 10,000+ pounds - ouch!

And if you watch one every single night of the year, it would take 4 years to watch them all.

I understand why you say it would be too cumbersome.

• Level 5

How did you manage to clip all that data from IMDb? I tried using Evernote Clip and found I could clip the text or the image but not both, unless I clipped the whole page.

Some web sites don't clip very well.

For the IMdb site, I captured part of the web screen with the (Win + PrtScreen) combo.

1,500 DVD's - Holy Cow!

That works out to 10,000+ pounds - ouch!

And if you watch one every single night of the year, it would take 4 years to watch them all.

I understand why you say it would be too cumbersome.

It has been a labour of love and allows me to watch any kind of movie I like, when I like. I learnt in business many years ago that it was important to unwind. It did not make sense at the time when I was leaving for work at 05:00 and getting home at 23:00 or later.

Then I had a work overload called ME! Nearly killed me and I decided to think about what some business gurus I respect over the years had told me.

I know watch a move most nights, the following day I can tell you I enjoyed it, but not always what it was called! Selective memory just like Einstein!

One of Einstein’s colleagues asked him for his telephone number one day.

Einstein reached for a telephone directory and looked it up. “You don’t remember your own number?” the man asked, startled.

” No,” Einstein answered. “Why should I memorize something I can so easily get from a book?”

That is my excuse when I forget things!

Best regards

Chris

You're right. EN is a fantastic tool for hobbyists and collectors of any description. However it falls down when it comes to managing large lists of individual items. As I said earlier, I currently turn to Springpad to keeping track of movies I own or have seen because I know I can just enter a film title and Springpad does the rest. It searches for the movie and presents images and data instantly. I can then add tags, notes and customised data and we're done. It's a pity EN can't offer that type of service - yet. I remain optimistic because they've done a cracking job with EN Food and I can only dream of the day they produce a similar service for us filmgoers.

Forgot to mention one of the things I really like about DVD Profiler when I am looking on the iPad.

It now has the ability to see a preview of the movie. Looks like it searches various areas on the internet including youtube. Very good, if like me, you cannot remember if you have seen the movie and want to watch a new one.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5

Forgot to mention one of the things I really like about DVD Profiler when I am looking on the iPad.

It now has the ability to see a preview of the movie. Looks like it searches various areas on the internet including youtube. Very good, if like me, you cannot remember if you have seen the movie and want to watch a new one.

Regards

Chris

Excellent point.

There really is no need for Evernote to re-invent the wheel by jumping into this market with the abundance of movie information already available on the internet.

Example:

Thanks for your help. It's a little more 'manual' than I was looking for. I was hoping someone might have produced a template I could use to quickly fill in standard movie info.

Have you looked at Kustomnote.com? It is very good if you want a template to capture the same information in a standard format. I have used it for capturing a home inventory in Evernote and my next project is to catalog all of my karaoke CDGs and songs. You can find Kustomnote in the trunk.

Example:

Have you looked at Kustomnote.com? It is very good if you want a template to capture the same information in a standard format. I have used it for capturing a home inventory in Evernote and my next project is to catalog all of my karaoke CDGs and songs. You can find Kustomnote in the trunk.

Thanks, Amie. Looks like the sort of thing I'm after. I'll check it out.

Archived