(Archived) The real live with Evernote

Guest mrossk

Guest mrossk

I had to take a photo from my electric-meter for my energy-provider.

• I made a foto of the electric-meter with my smartphone (in my own home connected via wifi and gsm).
  • 5 minutes later I started my windows-computer and synced: no note with the picture available
  • Again I took my smartphone and made a manual sync because the upload has not started yet (but why?) (??)
  • I started a second manual sync on my windows-computer: the note with the picture arrives
  • The orientation of the picture is shown wrong in evernote (??)
  • I drag&drop the picture from evernote to my windows-desktop: there the orientation is corect! (??)
  • I delete the pic in evernote and drag the pic back from desktop to evernote (in hope that the orientation will be corrected)
  • But there is no picture visible in evernote (??)
  • I have to switch between notes until the pic is suddelnly visible (??)
  • The orientation is still false (??)
  • Again I drag the pic to my windows-desktop and there I rotate it 90 degrees to the right, save, and then back 90 degrees to the left and save again.
  • Again I delete the pic in evernote and drag the pic from the windows-destop to evernote
  • Again it is only visible after switching between notes. (??)
  • Now the orientation is correct! (but what is the difference?) (??)
  • I click with the right mouse button to show it as attachent: wow, this works at the first attempt!!!!
  • I mark the picture-file, cut it and paste it into another note where it belongs to: suddenly the pic is not longer shown as attachment but again fully showed (??) I am really getting fuming!!
  • Again I click with the right mouse button to show it as attachent.
  • I rename the picture but after pressing ENTER the old name is still shown for this attachment (??)
  • AGAIN I have to switch between some notes and then have to search and scroll to the line where the attached picture-file is shown until I see that the name of the file is suddenly shown correct.

A little too many bugs in my opinion :angry:

There are many other cases where I have to fight with evernote but today I had the time to note one specific case.

(Windows and Android have installed the newest official clients)

• Level 5*

I had to take a photo from my electric-meter for my energy-provider.

• I made a foto of the electric-meter with my smartphone (in my own home connected via wifi and gsm).
  • 5 minutes later I started my windows-computer and synced: no note with the picture available
  • Again I took my smartphone and made a manual sync because the upload has not started yet (but why?) (??)
  • I started a second manual sync on my windows-computer: the note with the picture arrives
  • The orientation of the picture is shown wrong in evernote (??)
  • I drag&drop the picture from evernote to my windows-desktop: there the orientation is corect! (??)
  • I delete the pic in evernote and drag the pic back from desktop to evernote (in hope that the orientation will be corrected)
  • But there is no picture visible in evernote (??)
  • I have to switch between notes until the pic is suddelnly visible (??)
  • The orientation is still false (??)
  • Again I drag the pic to my windows-desktop and there I rotate it 90 degrees to the right, save, and then back 90 degrees to the left and save again.
  • Again I delete the pic in evernote and drag the pic from the windows-destop to evernote
  • Again it is only visible after switching between notes. (??)
  • Now the orientation is correct! (but what is the difference?) (??)
  • I click with the right mouse button to show it as attachent: wow, this works at the first attempt!!!!
  • I mark the picture-file, cut it and paste it into another note where it belongs to: suddenly the pic is not longer shown as attachment but again fully showed (??) I am really getting fuming!!
  • Again I click with the right mouse button to show it as attachent.
  • I rename the picture but after pressing ENTER the old name is still shown for this attachment (??)
  • AGAIN I have to switch between some notes and then have to search and scroll to the line where the attached picture-file is shown until I see that the name of the file is suddenly shown correct.

A little too many bugs in my opinion :angry:

There are many other cases where I have to fight with evernote but today I had the time to note one specific case.

(Windows and Android have installed the newest official clients)

Ugh. That doesn't look fun. I'd take the photo and email it in for now, but it might also help to file this as a bug with customer support. That way, they have it recorded and it won't be missed in the next updates.

• Level 5*

I see the rotating problem a lot. The trick is to open it (by double clicking) and then rotate it in the windows viewer and close it. The thumbnail often needs a sync to update.

Exactly. Personally, I keep all of my attachments out of Evernote, so I no longer have this problem, but I did once manage to go over my monthly limit in a few hours by rotating all of the photos with the incorrect orientations in Evernote. I was livid. It makes sense, of course, when you think about it, but it was frustrating to spend all of that time on my smartphone correctly rotating stuff, only to have Evernote change the rotation (I reported this last year in several threads and Heather provided a helpful and detailed explanation of what was happening), and then charge me my upload allowance to fix it all again!

Anyhow, the best solution (if you have lots of photos and are concerned about your upload limits) is to have it all saved somewhere (Dropbox), put it into Evernote on your desktop client (make sure sync is on manual), check that all is good -- rotate as needed, and then upload it.

Archived